Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:46 pm

kinisking wrote: But I'm saying they wouldnt mind him getting out of the game because they can understand the reasoning better.
That is more less assumption since Gohan didn't rank high until he was on par with his father in the Cell Saga. He dropped from the top 5 when Gohan was shown living a normal life like any Japanese boy.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:14 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: But I'm saying they wouldnt mind him getting out of the game because they can understand the reasoning better.
That is more less assumption since Gohan didn't rank high until he was on par with his father in the Cell Saga. He dropped from the top 5 when Gohan was shown living a normal life like any Japanese boy.
I'm not speaking about popularity rankings though. I'm just saying they're not going to be as hard pressed for him coming back because they'll be able to accept it better. Also, I never said it was anything but an assumption
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:27 pm

kinisking wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I'm not speaking about popularity rankings though. I'm just saying they're not going to be as hard pressed for him coming back because they'll be able to accept it better. Also, I never said it was anything but an assumption
I don't think it has anything to do with them accepting Gohan's life choice. It's more that they don't really care if he's in the story or not, much like most of the secondary cast.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:36 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I don't think it has anything to do with them accepting Gohan's life choice. It's more that they don't really care if he's in the story or not, much like most of the secondary cast.
Well, we don't know that. The fact that Gohan's new design and ultimate form returning was so hyped up makes me think they do care although I'm not sure.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

kinisking wrote: Well, we don't know that. The fact that Gohan's new design and ultimate form returning was so hyped up makes me think they do care although I'm not sure.
Toei may care because of money. The general audience, however, have shown that they're perfectly happy with it being the Goku and Vegeta show with guest star Trunks. They also seem to really love Krillin since his episodes got higher ratings than Gohan's Saiyaman episodes or even the Gohan episode from the Future Trunks Saga.
Kanassa wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:45 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: Well, we don't know that. The fact that Gohan's new design and ultimate form returning was so hyped up makes me think they do care although I'm not sure.
Toei may care because of money. The general audience, however, have shown that they're perfectly happy with it being the Goku and Vegeta show with guest star Trunks. They also seem to really love Krillin since his episodes got higher ratings than Gohan's Saiyaman episodes or even the Gohan episode from the Future Trunks Saga.
The ratings fluctuate like crazy when it comes to the percent. The placing is what matters (7th most of the time ) because if the ratings go down or up for everything then it can't be based on what super is showing. Besides , even if you ignore that the krillin episode that had a high rating had Gohan advertised in the NEP. Plus the Gohan episodes got a higher rating than the Goku versus hit rematch so I guess that means they don't care about hit and Goku? Besides the general audience is what'll give Toei money obviously. Lastly, the high Trunks rating also has to do with the return of a villian, an evil fucking Goku, and the start of a new arc.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:50 pm

kinisking wrote: The ratings fluctuate like crazy when it comes to the percent. The placing is what matters (7th most of the time ) because if the ratings go down or up for everything then it can't be based on what super is showing. Besides , even if you ignore that the krillin episode that had a high rating had Gohan advertised in the NEP. Plus the Gohan episodes got a higher rating than the Goku versus hit rematch so I guess that means they don't care about hit and Goku? Besides the general audience is what'll give Toei money obviously. Lastly, the high Trunks rating also has to do with the return of a villian, an evil fucking Goku, and the start of a new arc.
The fact remains that all Gohan central episode don't score that well compared to others. Also, the Goku vs. Hit rematch, Episode 72 - TV 5.6% (5th), happened during Christmas in Japan. Even then, it was a .3 different.

And this new arc is billed as the return of several character who haven't had spotlight in years, yet the audience don't seem to care about that.
Kanassa wrote:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:02 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: The ratings fluctuate like crazy when it comes to the percent. The placing is what matters (7th most of the time ) because if the ratings go down or up for everything then it can't be based on what super is showing. Besides , even if you ignore that the krillin episode that had a high rating had Gohan advertised in the NEP. Plus the Gohan episodes got a higher rating than the Goku versus hit rematch so I guess that means they don't care about hit and Goku? Besides the general audience is what'll give Toei money obviously. Lastly, the high Trunks rating also has to do with the return of a villian, an evil fucking Goku, and the start of a new arc.
The fact remains that all Gohan central episode don't score that well compared to others. Also, the Goku vs. Hit rematch, Episode 72 - TV 5.6% (5th), happened during Christmas in Japan. Even then, it was a .3 different.

And this new arc is billed as the return of several character who haven't had spotlight in years, yet the audience don't seem to care about that.
Like I said, its the ranking of the episode that shows how popular the content was, not the actual rating. If every show is down the weak a Gohan episode airs, is it really a negative for Gohan ?

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 pm

These are the TV share ratings for February 20 - February 26 (ep #80 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  2. Chibi Maruko-chan (9.5%)
  3. Crayon Shin-chan (8.2%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  6. Detective Conan (7.1%)
  7. Dragon Ball Super (6.6%)
  8. Anime Oasu no George (3.8%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
  10. Glittering Pretty Cure Ara Mode (3.8%)
Last edited by Khin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 pm

kinisking wrote: Like I said, its the ranking of the episode that shows how popular the content was, not the actual rating. If every show is down the weak a Gohan episode airs, is it really a negative for Gohan ?
No. I said that the Japan fandom don't care about Gohan in that way. They may like seeing him, but they're seem perfectly happy just having Goku and Vegeta run the entire show. And the ratings are important since, like I said, almost every Gohan focused episode has seen an overall down turn in ratings, outside of this recent episode. It isn't just all about rankings. And speaking of which...
Khin wrote:These are TV share ratings for February 20 - February 26 (ep #80 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
Good ratings for this new arc. Although, everything is up this week. I guess even the Japanese fans wanted to see Gohan do something at least over Buu.
Last edited by HeroR on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 pm

Khin wrote:These are TV share ratings for February 20 - February 26 (ep #80 of Super):
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
Nice. Hopefully this upward spiral continues. This makes me happy because this episode deserved it.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: Like I said, its the ranking of the episode that shows how popular the content was, not the actual rating. If every show is down the weak a Gohan episode airs, is it really a negative for Gohan ?
No. I said that the Japan fandom don't care about Gohan in that way. They may like seeing him, but they're seem perfectly happy just having Goku and Vegeta run the entire show. And the ratings are important since, like I said, almost every Gohan focused episode has seen an overall down turn in ratings, outside of this recent episode. It isn't just all about rankings. And speaking of which...
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
Good ratings for this new arc. Although, everything is up this week. I guess even the Japanese fans wanted to see Gohan do something at least over Buu.
I'm saying that the ratings went down for other series those weeks too, so there's no way Gohan caused the ratings to drop. It's just a coincidence. Just like this week was a coincidence that it rose. The percentages are good because it means more people watched that week, but the ranking is what really matters. It shows how good it did in comparison to other shows. If the percentage dropped, but the ranking stays the same it means that there was an overall change amongst all the shows. That means what happened in super that week isn't the cause of the ratings dropping.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:39 am

kinisking wrote:
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
I'm saying that the ratings went down for other series those weeks too, so there's no way Gohan caused the ratings to drop. It's just a coincidence. Just like this week was a coincidence that it rose. The percentages are good because it means more people watched that week, but the ranking is what really matters. It shows how good it did in comparison to other shows. If the percentage dropped, but the ranking stays the same it means that there was an overall change amongst all the shows. That means what happened in super that week isn't the cause of the ratings dropping.[/quote]

I'm with you here, although sometimes the numbers aren't big, the position is what matters, I remember when Super reached 2nd place but the rating didn't reach 7%. Not many people watched it but it was the 2nd most watched anime that week, and that is what matters at the end.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:45 am

Alee9977 wrote:
kinisking wrote:
  1. Sazae-san (13.4%)
  4. Doraemon (7.8%)
  5. One Piece (7.3%)
  9. Time Bokan (3.8%)
I'm saying that the ratings went down for other series those weeks too, so there's no way Gohan caused the ratings to drop. It's just a coincidence. Just like this week was a coincidence that it rose. The percentages are good because it means more people watched that week, but the ranking is what really matters. It shows how good it did in comparison to other shows. If the percentage dropped, but the ranking stays the same it means that there was an overall change amongst all the shows. That means what happened in super that week isn't the cause of the ratings dropping.
I'm with you here, although sometimes the numbers aren't big, the position is what matters, I remember when Super reached 2nd place but the rating didn't reach 7%. Not many people watched it but it was the 2nd most watched anime that week, and that is what matters at the end
Do you remember which episode that was ? That's pretty neat.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:55 am

Max placement of Super was 3rd place in Episode 47 and 25. 25 only had 5.7

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:23 am

Seems nothing changed. Guess the new arc didnt attract more people. In japan anyways.

But anyways, DBS is mostly about seeling stuff, so even if it will have poor ratings, but still sells merchandise it wont be canceled.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am

buutenks wrote:Seems nothing changed. Guess the new arc didnt attract more people. In japan anyways.

But anyways, DBS is mostly about seeling stuff, so even if it will have poor ratings, but still sells merchandise it wont be canceled.
Nothing's changed since the beginning of super. You guys expect too much. Besides it's in the top 10 of all anime since it's conception, it's ratings are great.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:37 am

Sodhi wrote:Max placement of Super was 3rd place in Episode 47 and 25. 25 only had 5.7
One time it reached 2nd place, OP was in the first place.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:50 am

I don't see it. Unless you are talking about DVR ratings, then DBS even reached 1st place. Info is on the first page of this thread.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:51 am

Good rating. I hope that the ratings continue upwards slightly, but with how unpredictable the TV viewers can be, nothing is guaranteed.