Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Nop, Super has far better sales than OP, and you can check that just by looking for it in the forum.
Super is superior to OP in merchandising and DVD sales (again, look for it in the forum and you will find it), the only thing OP is far superior and unjustifiably is in manga sales, which last time I checked, OP was in top 5 and Super in top 15 if I remember correctly.

Well, DB is not made for only local audience, since the very first moment they knew the series was going to arrive in a lot of countries all around the globe.
Are you trolling? One Piece absolutely dominates Dragon Ball in EVERYTHING in Japan. Everything, every single thing. Merchandise, movie, anime, manga, games, you name it
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Nop, Super has far better sales than OP, and you can check that just by looking for it in the forum.
Super is superior to OP in merchandising and DVD sales (again, look for it in the forum and you will find it), the only thing OP is far superior and unjustifiably is in manga sales, which last time I checked, OP was in top 5 and Super in top 15 if I remember correctly.

Well, DB is not made for only local audience, since the very first moment they knew the series was going to arrive in a lot of countries all around the globe.
Are you trolling? One Piece absolutely dominates Dragon Ball in EVERYTHING in Japan. Everything, every single thing. Merchandise, movie, anime, manga, games, you name it
That's not true. Dragonball factually has better merchandising sales than One piece.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:48 pm

kinisking wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:

That's not true. Dragonball factually has better merchandising sales than One piece.
That's what I have been saying all the time, there are things where OP dominates and others where DB does, not so difficult to understand.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:16 pm

kinisking wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:

In North America
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:26 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
In North America
It's number two in Japan,with Gundam being first.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:47 pm

kinisking wrote:
kinisking wrote: That's not true. Dragonball factually has better merchandising sales than One piece.
In North America
That was worldwide, not just Japan. We should all just drop the topic and be on topic with the thread
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm

kinisking wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote: In North America
That was worldwide, not just Japan. We should all just drop the topic and be on topic with the thread
I'm 99 percent certain it was like this in Japan too.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:51 pm

kinisking wrote:
kinisking wrote: It's number two in Japan,with Gundam being first.
I'm 99 percent certain it was like this in Japan too.
Just checked the numbers again, it's worldwide. Again, we should just drop the topic

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 am

I know this is just dragging the discussion but this is a good chart which gives us pretty good idea of what is going on in Japan.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 16/.110442
So yeah, One piece even without games, movie ticket sales, etc, makes way more than DB. No competition in Japan.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 am

Sodhi wrote:I know this is just dragging the discussion but this is a good chart which gives us pretty good idea of what is going on in Japan.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 16/.110442
So yeah, One piece even without games, movie ticket sales, etc, makes way more than DB. No competition in Japan.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. One Piece sold 12.3 million volumes in 2016 so that makes up about ¥5.3 billion of that ¥6.6 billion.

Dragon Ball doesn't really have a manga. There's the Super one but it's just a small promotional manga.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am

I think it's fair, manga sales are the biggest indicator when it comes to popularity in Japan. However I do wonder what if Super's manga was done by Toriyama, weekly. Then again at this point it's just a what if. Plus none of these effect TV ratings anyway, at least it doesn't look like it. It's not out of the question for Super to beat One piece, but Idk if the timeslot would allow that to happen.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Latest Live Ratings.
Sazae's Broadcast 2400th Anniversary Special: 10.6
Detective Conan: 6.8
one piece:6.6
Dragon ball super(#83): 5.5
Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon: 4.4
My Hero Academia: 3.3
NARUTO Shippuden · Final episode: 3.2
Anime Osuri no George: 3.1
Sean of sheep: 2.9
Yo-kai watch: 2.7

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Way it go My Hero Academia! :thumbup: Super is still doing... fine.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Sodhi wrote:I think it's fair, manga sales are the biggest indicator when it comes to popularity in Japan. However I do wonder what if Super's manga was done by Toriyama, weekly. Then again at this point it's just a what if. Plus none of these effect TV ratings anyway, at least it doesn't look like it. It's not out of the question for Super to beat One piece, but Idk if the timeslot would allow that to happen.
Since that list is pretty much only manga/disc based, it's not an accurate representation of whether a franchise is a sales juggernaut or not, as it's excluding way too many sources of incoming. And as said, it's not fair to compare manga sales, as the Super manga doesn't even get high prints to begin (although sales of vol. 2 were actually impressive for a monthly promotional manga done by a newcomer).

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Just showing, how much more money there is to make, especially for jump. Hopefully they increase the page count soon :)
I did not include merchandise, because there is a different chart for that. Image.
Again, One piece is on the top in Japan, however overseas is a different story.
Last edited by Sodhi on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Sodhi wrote:I did not include merchandise, because there is a different chart for that. Image.
Again, One piece is on the top in Japan, however overseas is a different story.
Interesting. I wished where I heard super is 2 and Gundam is first in Japan. Or maybe I misread ? Pretty interesting. Does this include manga sales?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 pm

I forgot the actual website, but this is from Bandai/Toei. So mostly merchandise.
Edit: This is a good post to refer to :)
Bigivel wrote: Everything from TV, Merchandise(not only Toys) and other things make money and they all are important. Also is important to understand a franchise isn't divided by TV vs Merchandise, TV makes part of a bigger group of sales called Film(TV, Disks, Movies, Others) and Merchandise, also called Character Business, is the grouping of 2 things, Licensing + Sales of Goods.
This two groups in average sell the same thing though it really depends of the period of time. I believe that right now with the boom in International Licensing, the Character Business is doing better.

In fact, the 1st quarter of 2017 Financial Year(April to 30 June of 2016) from Toei Animation came out, so we can take a look, specially with Dragon Ball performance :).

In terms of TV series Toei Animation in general earned: 953 Million yen.
In terms of Film earned 2.93 Billion Yen, Licensing earned 4.16 Billion Yen and Sales of Goods earned 1.76 Billion Yen.(NOTE: The sum of this 3 almost certainly places Toei around the Top 4 anime Studios in sales of this year, already!)

Dragon Ball Super continued its great increase in sales! 8)

In Domestic Licensing went from last year 425 Million Yen to 787 Million Yen, a 80% increase! In 2013 the series was doing 80 Million Yen.
In Overseas Licensing went from last year 247 Million Yen to 652 Million Yen, a 64% increase! In 2013 the series was doing 61 Million Yen.
In Overseas Film went from last year 240 Million Yen to 458 Million Yen, a 91% increase! In 2013 the series was doing 73 Million yen.
kinisking wrote:I wished where I heard super is 2 and Gundam is first in Japan. Or maybe I misread ?
I think you may be referring to this
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2016/05/11/ba ... 6-figures/
This is older version of the chart :)
Last edited by Sodhi on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:45 pm

kinisking wrote: That's not true. Dragonball factually has better merchandising sales than One piece.
100% false. One Piece makes more money than Dragon Ball in everything in Japan. One Piece has its own THEME PARK. Japan is obsessed with One Piece, people write Research Paper on One Piece in Japan. 85% of One Piece manga readers are adults, and 1 in 3 person in Japan regularly reads One Piece. One Piece is much more than just a manga in Japan. It's part of their culture, not just an entertainment product.

http://kotaku.com/inside-japans-new-one ... 1690998898

https://ithinkincomics.com/2012/07/04/o ... y-of-life/

https://youtu.be/SKsYrzWSsXU?t=4m29s

http://kotaku.com/5900555/japan-tries-t ... -one-piece
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 pm