Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Saiga » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am
gokaiblue wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 am They'll get a lot more people to listen to them if they don't claim to want Vic's head and balls, which was my whole point. Their stories are fine. Their opinions are fine, but as soon as they post anything even remotely close to a threat, that's where they could be in trouble.
When was that, btw? The "head and balls" comment? And by who?
One of Marchi's tweets. As much as I agree with her sentiment I am concerned that it could end up biting her.

@gokai I sure as hell would. All she's done is speak out against a repeated sexual harasser. Unless I was predisposed to believe Vic was innocent, I could never hold that against someone.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:57 am

Saiga wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:56 am
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:43 am
gokaiblue wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 am They'll get a lot more people to listen to them if they don't claim to want Vic's head and balls, which was my whole point. Their stories are fine. Their opinions are fine, but as soon as they post anything even remotely close to a threat, that's where they could be in trouble.
When was that, btw? The "head and balls" comment? And by who?
One of Marchi's tweets. As much as I agree with her sentiment I am concerned that it could end up biting her.
Exactly! I get her intentions and her feelings behind the tweet, but all it did was add fuel to the fire.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 am

I'm waiting to see if Sabit and/or Sean drop out at this point. Also when did Cons need contracts to lock guess in that's news to me.

I'd hate for it to happen but I'm watching to see if Vic touches someone here, he'd be able to get away with it if it's someone from the Istandwithvic side but just the action would speak words to me.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am

Well, seems we finally know where Geekdom101 stands on the whole thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY1m5PXI4V8

I mean, he doesn't directly mention the scandal, but...him talking about how exciting Kamehacon 2 is going to be is pretty telling all on it's own. He pretty clearly wants to stay out of the whole thing, so... No point bothering him about it :( .
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Dooiney

Post by Dooiney » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 am

Wow, I peace out of this topic for a month, and just when it seemed like it was finally starting to die down, here we go again.

Is there any information out there that isn’t just mindless speculation or bitter claims from butthurt fans? Is Monical Rial/Funimation/anyone actually being sued by Mignogna? Why is the #istandwithvic crowd so gung ho about that?

Also, why the fuck would Kamehacon flip-flop on this issue? It really seems like they deliberately waited so they could screw people out of refunds. I know some vendors and artists are stuck having paid for their spaces.

I’m ready to put all of this behind us already.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 am

Dooiney wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 am Wow, I peace out of this topic for a month, and just when it seemed like it was finally starting to die down, here we go again.
Well... that's what happens when the "power-that-be" spend 20 years kicking the can down the road. You get a mess that's long, messy, convoluted, and just plain awful.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 am

Fionordequester wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am Well, seems we finally know where Geekdom101 stands on the whole thing...

I mean, he doesn't directly mention the scandal, but...him talking about how exciting Kamehacon 2 is going to be is pretty telling all on it's own. He pretty clearly wants to stay out of the whole thing, so... No point bothering him about it :( .
I mentioned this a while ago.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ssj4
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj4 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:31 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 am
Fionordequester wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am Well, seems we finally know where Geekdom101 stands on the whole thing...

I mentioned this a while ago.
Damn, he supports vic then? Should I unfollow him?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:39 pm
MajinMan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm Well it’s either their planning/guest management team is really incompetent and didn’t forsee something like this happening, or they were forced to bring Vic in by some other means. I’d bet it’s the former.
You do? I mean, don't get me wrong, it certainly could be, but I was inclined to believe the latter because it's hard--for me, anyway--to believe that all of the con's management team could be that tone-deaf. Possible, certainly, but I was more inclined to believe that either Vic threatened legal action or that he already signed a contract with the con before all this drama that more or less guarantees his appearance.

Could you elaborate on why you think it's the former? Since "tone" isn't always clear when posting on the internet, and since this is obviously a very emotionally charged subject, I'd like to clarify that I don't ask this in an argumentative way. Quite the contrary, I'm genuinely interested to hear your opinion on the matter.
I think they’re incompetent because IF they had to legally bring in Vic (I don’t know if that’s the case, if it is then please tell me), them announcing that Vic is “no longer attending” is stupid. They caused this ruckus by deliberately “doing” something they SHOULD have known damn well they could not do legally. They caused a stir when they could have left Vic in (not supporting him, just saying if they HAD TO leave him in they should have never said he wasn’t coming). That’s what I mean by incompetent. The worst part is how late they announced his “return.” Many fans now can’t cancel because they made time for the event already. They should’ve ate the bullet and made a statement by actually kicking him out.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:54 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:24 am I mentioned this a while ago.
You did. I don't remember there being a link to the relevant vid, though; so I figured I'd post that, and tell folks where exactly he gave his support for Kamehacon 2. Just for clarity's sake.

Sorry if it felt like I ignored you :( .

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:51 am

Geekdom doesn't support Vic when Monica and others first came out he liked all their tweets talking bad about Vic ans I've never seen him side with Vic. Kamehacon is simply his baby and he's trying to tell fans to enjoy it.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:57 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:51 am Geekdom doesn't support Vic when Monica and others first came out he liked all their tweets talking bad about Vic ans I've never seen him side with Vic. Kamehacon is simply his baby and he's trying to tell fans to enjoy it.
Exactly he’s really in a tough place right now

A lot of the panelists dropping out are friends of his but I know he does care about this convention. It’s not his fault what the convention pulled. They put him in a really tough spot too.

Instead of being a con to celebrate Dragon Ball it’s become this big controversy and that’s all the fault of Kameha cons bad decision but also Vic and his lawyers who decided to weasel their way back into the con.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:51 am Geekdom doesn't support Vic when Monica and others first came out he liked all their tweets talking bad about Vic ans I've never seen him side with Vic. Kamehacon is simply his baby and he's trying to tell fans to enjoy it.
I get that, and a sympathize with the situation he's in... but he should've left his baby in better hands. I'm sure he agrees with that right about now. Problem is, it's too late. The event is tainted - whatever it was supposed to be, making this move has put the Mignogna situation right at the core of the entire event. They've emboldened some of the worst parts of fandom, and they'll be there, feeling that they've won and that the con is "theirs", and anyone who isn't down with the Mignogna Cult is gonna be able to feel that. Guests are fleeing in droves, and I've seen vendors speaking out about how they feel deceived, and how the con organizers won't let them get their money back if they want to drop out, basically forcing them into an uncomfortable situation they don't want to be in. That's not a recipe for a good time for the community.

I know making something like this happen is a whole lot of work and investment, and it's heartbreaking to see that go bad. But it's MignognaCon now. And continuing to support the con is supporting that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 am

I didn't really comment more on this subject, as it became quite clear to me that it has spiraled out of control. But with the announcement that KamehaCon basically re-invited Vic back to the convention, I really am struggling to see how the organizers of the convention can justify bringing back a, for the lack of a better term, sexual predator, and essentially giving him a platform to voice his thoughts.

They didn't need to do this.

It very clear to me that the organizers are capitalizing on Vic's new found infamy following this scandal, as well as shamelessly appealing and his very mentally troubled followers who would rather put their heads in the sand than look all the damning evidence and testimonies against him from multiple people.

I didn't want to immediately comment on this scenario because I wanted to see how it would progress from that moment. I'm glad to see in the coming following this announcement that several voices and prominent members of the Dragon Ball community put their foot down to this nonsense and cancelled their appearance at the convention. But I'm also disappointed that the mud slinging continues.

This whole debacle has really exposed a lot of ignorance and toxicity in the Dragon Ball fandom depresses me quite a lot.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:33 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:28 am I didn't really comment more on this subject, as it became quite clear to me that it has spiraled out of control. But with the announcement that KamehaCon basically re-invited Vic back to the convention, I really am struggling to see how the organizers of the convention can justify bringing back a, for the lack of a better term, sexual predator, and essentially giving him a platform to voice his thoughts.

They didn't need to do this.

It very clear to me that the organizers are capitalizing on Vic's new found infamy following this scandal, as well as shamelessly appealing and his very mentally troubled followers who would rather put their heads in the sand than look all the damning evidence and testimonies against him from multiple people.

I didn't want to immediately comment on this scenario because I wanted to see how it would progress from that moment. I'm glad to see in the coming following this announcement that several voices and prominent members of the Dragon Ball community put their foot down to this nonsense and cancelled their appearance at the convention. But I'm also disappointed that the mud slinging continues.

This whole debacle has really exposed a lot of ignorance and toxicity in the Dragon Ball fandom depresses me quite a lot.
Gritting from rightwing chuds is usually easy money, but i dont think this kind of convention could do it as a lot of these people tend not to travel, and they don't have the money to travel as they waste a bunch of there income on other people who grift from them, hell Vic and black face lawyer are already grifting them

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

Bryesque wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 am
I get that, and a sympathize with the situation he's in... but he should've left his baby in better hands. I'm sure he agrees with that right about now. Problem is, it's too late. The event is tainted - whatever it was supposed to be, making this move has put the Mignogna situation right at the core of the entire event. They've emboldened some of the worst parts of fandom, and they'll be there, feeling that they've won and that the con is "theirs", and anyone who isn't down with the Mignogna Cult is gonna be able to feel that. Guests are fleeing in droves, and I've seen vendors speaking out about how they feel deceived, and how the con organizers won't let them get their money back if they want to drop out, basically forcing them into an uncomfortable situation they don't want to be in. That's not a recipe for a good time for the community.

I know making something like this happen is a whole lot of work and investment, and it's heartbreaking to see that go bad. But it's MignognaCon now. And continuing to support the con is supporting that.

They hired him and not the other way around. It’s not Geekdom’s convention. He’s just the host. He obviously does play a large part in the convention’s success

He doesn’t pick the guests but he does pick the panelists and I believe creates the schedule

I am not necessarily saying I agree with him staying neutral but it’s not like he is attacking his friends who are dropping out as panelists

Also at this late date many fans can’t cancel even if they wanted to. It’s not just non-refundable tickets but if you bought a plane ticket or took PTO you may not get that back. I am sure he wants to be there for those fans too. And I also see people sticking around this year but who say they won’t be back next year.

And I also see some panelists and probably guests who want to support these fans too. Not everyone still going is necessarily a Vic-Stan and that goes for Geekdom to.

Though personally I do respect the guests and panelists that do drop out of its possible to do so since I feel it is the right thing to do.

Edit: Josh Grelle has also announced he is no longer coming

https://twitter.com/joshgrelle/status/1 ... 70529?s=21

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:21 am

Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am
Bryesque wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 am

They hired him and not the other way around. It’s not Geekdom’s convention. He’s just the host. He obviously does play a large part in the convention’s success

He doesn’t pick the guests but he does pick the panelists and I believe creates the schedule

I am not necessarily saying I agree with him staying neutral but it’s not like he is attacking his friends who are dropping out as panelists
Aha! I wasn't aware of that, or the history of the con, really... The way things were stated in a few places, it made it seem like he was a founder or something. If that's not the case, then yeah, he's not directly responsible in any way for this decision.

That said... While I totally sympathize with the situation he's been put in, and I'm glad he's shown support for the victims, IMO staying neutral and supporting the organization is giving it a pass. But I know it's a very hard situation and decision - I wouldn't want to be in those shoes.
Kinokima wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am Also at this late date many fans can’t cancel even if they wanted to. It’s not just non-refundable tickets but if you bought a plane ticket or took PTO you may not get that back. I am sure he wants to be there for those fans too. And I also see people sticking around this year but who say they won’t be back next year.

And I also see some panelists and probably guests who want to support these fans too. Not everyone still going is necessarily a Vic-Stan and that goes for Geekdom to.

Though personally I do respect the guests and panelists that do drop out of its possible to do so since I feel it is the right thing to do.
Oh, for sure. And I blame the organizers for this situation 100%. Especially considering they're allegedly denying refunds to vendors who want to drop out after their bait-and-switch. That's extremely shady behaviour and I know I'd stay far away from any event that would willfully put its guests and attendees in such a bad situation and show zero remorse for it. They talk about being "for the fans", but these actions speak for themselves.

Huge respect to every guest and panelist who's pulled out. Vendors are in a different boat, as they can't afford to lose a $400 table fee for nothing. I saw one vendor write that they were going to donate their profits to RAINN, for example, and I hope others follow that example and otherwise use their spots to speak out against harassment. That's a great way to make something positive out of a lousy situation.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:13 am

Looks like KamehaCon's in full damage control now too.
[url=https://twitter.com/KamehaCon/status/1109263192587452416 wrote:KamehaCon[/url]]We will be making multiple announcements today. First and foremost, we are running a fan convention built by fans. Under no circumstance has any guest influenced our contracts or negotiations. These contracts ours to uphold and our responsibility alone.
[url=https://twitter.com/KamehaCon/status/1110173442454769672 wrote:KamehaCon[/url]]We are aware of withdraws from the convention. Those discussions will be handled professionally and privately. We ask that you please respect their decisions. We still have some amazing guests that will be announced that are excited to meet you all this year!
[url=https://twitter.com/KamehaCon/status/1110178909205729280 wrote:KamehaCon[/url]]Our vast security team is lead by and comprised of the fine men and women of Texas law enforcement. We have a ZERO tolerance policy for harassment and we take all threats seriously. Anyone who seeks to violate these rules will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
[url=https://twitter.com/KamehaCon/status/1110178909205729280 wrote:KamehaCon[/url]]Our online maps will soon reflect safe areas to report harassment of any kind. The Kameha Con app will soon be updated to have a quick icon, easily visible to report these cases as well. Please review our policies here
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:24 am

At least they're doing something. Reading some of the replies to the tweets are just cringeworthy, though. The #IStandWithVic crowd keeps on hammering the conventions being for fans point.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:26 am

So Nick Reketia is resorting to blackmail right now

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/11 ... 36928?s=21