"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:37 am

Yo, Matthew Mercer as Hit is amazing!
His XV2 voice was okay, but this voice craps all over it.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:41 am

Mercer was fantastic as Hit. This approach for Magetta is fucking wild and I kinda love it. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:10 am

I kind of hope they patch out Hit's voice with Mercer's for Xenoverse 2 & also Schemmel's Goku Black, since they've most likely figured out what they're doing now, with the updated performances to match consistency with both the show & later games, since it'd be weird to leave them as-is. Are they done releasing DLC for the game yet?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 am

Scsigs wrote:I kind of hope they patch out Hit's voice with Mercer's for Xenoverse 2 & also Schemmel's Goku Black, since they've most likely figured out what they're doing now, with the updated performances to match consistency with both the show & later games, since it'd be weird to leave them as-is. Are they done releasing DLC for the game yet?
I doubt they would. It isn't like they patch other voices in any Z game.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 am

I'll need to hear more of Magetta's voice before I make up my mind on it, but I will say I like that they're doing something a bit different with it. The point of the Magetta fight is that for the first half at least, everything about him is a bit surreal, a bit unconventional. We've already heard the Teapot Man voice in Japanese, an English equivalent wouldn't shock us and would risk sounding cringey. So they went a different route with the synthesised voice (I'm not 100% sure that's what it is so correct me if I'm wrong, can't think of anything else otherwise) and it does the job of being weird. I'm interested to see how it'll go when he starts crying.

Something I miss from dubs of old is that they would get a bit silly, a bit out there; my goto example is the old Digimon dub where every Monster of the Week was an old school celebrity impression. Dubs these days are better in a lot ways, and certainly more faithful to the original, but sometimes I feel like that faithfulness makes certain dubs play a bit safe. Dragon Ball's dub can get away with that since it's well-established and also from that era. If Dragon Ball had never been dubbed in the 90s/00s, would King Kai sound anything like he does if they were to do it now?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:34 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:Don't know if anyone posted this yet but it seems that Funimation did in fact dub Usubeni (and changed the name to Twilight for some reason) and it's on the Part 2 Blu-ray https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE
Just posted it here ;)
Any of you two know if the OP is still in Japanese on the BD?

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:08 am

I have not seen or cared to look at a dubbed Super episode since episode 11, and even then I skipped pretty much everything between episodes 3-11, but I decided to check this one out because I heard some great things about Hit's voice... and some terrible things about Magetta's.

Holy balls, what happened to Magetta? I could not believe what I was hearing. They literally turned him into a text-to-speech character. I've heard that they've taken a lot more liberties in Super compared to Kai, but come on. This was absolutely terrible.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:30 am

Matthew Mercer killed it as Hit. As expected. But now whenever I think of Hit's voice, the first thing that comes to my mind is "It's high noon". :P

Magetta... was a travesty. I don't know what Funimation were thinking when they though that synthesised text-speech bullshit would be the best direct to take with his English voice over.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:55 am

I can't believe they pulled a fucking TFS Android 19 on Magetta :lol:

This is priceless.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Matthew Mercer killed it as Hit. As expected. But now whenever I think of Hit's voice, the first thing that comes to my mind is "It's high noon". :P

Magetta... was a travesty. I don't know what Funimation were thinking when they though that synthesised text-speech bullshit would be the best direct to take with his English voice over.
Personally prefer it over Magetta saying the same over again like Pokemon.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 am

I don't really see the big deal, Magetta is a nothing character anyway, after next episode he loses more or less any relevancy in the show.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't really see the big deal, Magetta is a nothing character anyway, after next episode he loses more or less any relevancy in the show.
So do most of the cast outside of Hit, so not really seeing what point you're making here.
Kanassa wrote:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:38 am

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I don't really see the big deal, Magetta is a nothing character anyway, after next episode he loses more or less any relevancy in the show.
So do most of the cast outside of Hit, so not really seeing what point you're making here.
People are getting wound up over a character that's hardly gonna appear in the show much after next episode and let's be frank there wasn't much of a character to Magetta anyway.

[spoiler]Nobody gave a shit when Magetta go knocked out in the ToP. I find it funny that now people are suddenly acting like he's some great character that was destroyed by FUNi.[/spoiler]

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:
People are getting wound up over a character that's hardly gonna appear in the show much after next episode and let's be frank there wasn't much of a character to Magetta anyway.

[spoiler]Nobody gave a shit when Magetta go knocked out in the ToP. I find it funny that now people are suddenly acting like he's some great character that was destroyed by FUNi.[/spoiler]
I'm not arguing that he was a great character, but I'm rather disappointed in Funimation. I honestly think this dub is a pretty solid step back compared to the Kai and modern movie dubs they've done in the past. It's disappointing with how many needless and stupid liberties they take to make their own lame jokes. I never thought I would see something like what they did to Magetta. They basically rewrote a character, and that reminds me of the old Z dub days. And that's bad.

Rest in peace.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:48 am

MajinMan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I'm not arguing that he was a great character, but I'm rather disappointed in Funimation. I honestly think this dub is a pretty solid step back compared to the Kai and modern movie dubs they've done in the past. It's disappointing with how many needless and stupid liberties they take to make their own lame jokes. I never thought I would see something like what they did to Magetta. They basically rewrote a character, and that reminds me of the old Z dub days. And that's bad.
Not seeing how the rewrote the character since the Japanese version of the character was also robotic sounding to the point that characters wonder if he was really organic. And actually prefer the old dub over Kai many ways, so *shrugged*.
Kanassa wrote:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 am

HeroR wrote:
MajinMan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: People are getting wound up over a character that's hardly gonna appear in the show much after next episode and let's be frank there wasn't much of a character to Magetta anyway.

Not seeing how the rewrote the character. And actually prefer the old dub over Kai many ways, so *shrugged*.
It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of accuracy. The old dub was terrible in terms of accuracy. It did not capture what Dragon Ball truly is, it instead created a weird, new Dragon Ball that people now have nostalgia for. You can prefer it all you want, but it's filled with bad dubbing practices that shouldn't be acceptable today. The fact that the Super dub has some of those bad habits slipping in every now and then isn't representative with how they've approached the series in the past 7 years. Now Super is still a much better dub, but it's a shame that it resorts to these dumb practices to appeal to it's older, more nostalgic fans.

And they did rewrite Magetta. Sure he had no lines in the original version, but they decided to turn him into some meme character that talks in text-to-speech because haha so funny.

Rest in peace.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:25 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:Don't know if anyone posted this yet but it seems that Funimation did in fact dub Usubeni (and changed the name to Twilight for some reason) and it's on the Part 2 Blu-ray https://youtu.be/WICKm2xERQE
Just posted it here ;)
Any of you two know if the OP is still in Japanese on the BD?
Haven't checked the actual episodes but when I checked the creditless openings, they were both only in Japanese

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:45 am

Magetta in JPN is definitely more charming then what they did here...that said...

Did Maggetta say "chuga chuga yourfucked" at the end of episode 35 when Vegeta complained about the heat?! :wtf:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:00 pm

MajinMan wrote: It's not a matter of preference, it's a matter of accuracy. The old dub was terrible in terms of accuracy. It did not capture what Dragon Ball truly is, it instead created a weird, new Dragon Ball that people now have nostalgia for. You can prefer it all you want, but it's filled with bad dubbing practices that shouldn't be acceptable today. The fact that the Super dub has some of those bad habits slipping in every now and then isn't representative with how they've approached the series in the past 7 years. Now Super is still a much better dub, but it's a shame that it resorts to these dumb practices to appeal to it's older, more nostalgic fans.

And they did rewrite Magetta. Sure he had no lines in the original version, but they decided to turn him into some meme character that talks in text-to-speech because haha so funny.
And if I cared about accuracy I would watched the subs. And if I wanted "capture what Dragon Ball truly is", I would read the manga since even the anime gets it wrong.

That is all your opinion, that I happened not to agree with.

Nope, still the same character. The only different is that he doesn't speak like a Pokemon.
Kanassa wrote:

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:06 pm

If he's saying things like your fucked I would int say it's the same character...