"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:06 pm

Dragonball supers opening is pretty good but nothing compared to Naruto's. Imo Naruto has the best music in and out of the show (out of the seasons I've watched).
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 pm

kinisking wrote:Dragonball supers opening is pretty good but nothing compared to Naruto's. Imo Naruto has the best music in and out of the show (out of the seasons I've watched).
Fairy Tail and Gintama has some of the best OP's I've heard from the once I watched. OPM got it lucky tho since the one that did their OP was JAM Project (Kageyama)

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:30 pm

A proper translation would be appreciated
TekTheNinja wrote:Nope. Videl's gonna stay home because according to Dragon Ball, after women get married they become boring housewives. :|
This is a sad, sad, sad truth you just said. Chichi, No. 18 and Videl were far more interesting characters before marriage, how unfortunate
Chuquita wrote:It's be interested to hear what Kageyama vocals could do for Super's opening song.
YES! YES! Please, bring Kageyama and Kikuchi BACK! His songs are pure Dragon Ball
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm

kinisking wrote:Dragonball supers opening is pretty good but nothing compared to Naruto's. Imo Naruto has the best music in and out of the show (out of the seasons I've watched).
Naruto's first opening was real good, after that it just went meh for me.
The best opening till today out of all the shows I have watched goes to tenjo tenge.. that show totally nailed it
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Chuquita wrote:It's be interested to hear what Kageyama vocals could do for Super's opening song.
Now I'm imagining what Chouzetsu Dynamic would sound like with Kageyama singing...sounds good in my head :thumbup: Though it feels like it needs more of a climactic chorus to truly let the Kageyama inside my head shine :lol:
Ki Breaker wrote: The best opening till today out of all the shows I have watched goes to tenjo tenge.. that show totally nailed it
Love that song...helps that it was sung by Da Pump, a Japanese boy band I fell in love with in the late 90s♥

As for the discussion about whether Super should get a new opening, I'm fine with the current one sticking around. Didn't love it at first, but it's grown on me, and I get excited every time I hear it (though admittedly that's because I'm excited for the new content that comes along with it).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Fairy Tail and Gintama has some of the best OP's I've heard from the once I watched. OPM got it lucky tho since the one that did their OP was JAM Project (Kageyama)
OPM theme utterly obliterates Super's theme. It's not even a contest. So much power to the OPM theme, which Super's lacks. Maybe it's to tie into Super usually hardly having impactful fight scenes beyond a couple truly good ones.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:29 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
OPM theme utterly obliterates Super's theme. It's not even a contest. So much power to the OPM theme, which Super's lacks. Maybe it's to tie into Super usually hardly having impactful fight scenes beyond a couple truly good ones.
From start to finish the shouting never stops whereas Super's is....like drunk or something, but when Super gets into those fight scenes where it really matters, they can really be impactful in their own way, never been a fan of OPM so I may just be bias but I prefer some of the best that Super gave than OPM's best.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
From start to finish the shouting never stops whereas Super's is....like drunk or something, but when Super gets into those fight scenes where it really matters, they can really be impactful in their own way, never been a fan of OPM so I may just be bias but I prefer some of the best that Super gave than OPM's best.
OPM is really well animated and it's a good series in general but the fight's usually bore me. Saitama is just too strong for anything to matter. Only exceptions are when other characters fight of course.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:33 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Not a fan of the OPM Theme at all but my friend LOVES it. I think it depends what kind of music you want. Personally i like "Departure" the HxH theme.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 pm

I don't know where else to ask, but does anyone have the latest Toei financial results? The last one I can find was released over a year ago and I want to see where Dragon Ball stands right before the dubs start airing.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:31 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I don't get why so many people are saying it's a Toei filler arc when there's not a shred of evidence for it. This feels much more like something Toriyama himself would do. Using his own new characters and giving them their spotlight. (Hit finally showing off his killing techniques) definitely a Toriyama thing!
If Toei show Hit's strongest techniques then they would have had to consult with Toriyama as he has not revealed them yet so Toriyama should be involved in the arc no matter how small.
Not necessarily. If the next arc has Hit fighting anyway, they could easily write this story with that in mind, without needing Toriyama's input for this storyline itself. In fact, a story like this from Toei would make a lot of sense if Hit is defeated in the next Toriyama arc without even getting his rematch with Goku.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:58 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Shouting doesn't equal passion though. Listen to "Fight it Out" from the final chapters. It's so cheesy sounding, but there's so much passion behind the vocals. There's energy without the need to shout every line. Though OPM isn't always shouting, but uses it to encapsulate the power of the lead character. Though I highly disagree as OPM's best utterly annihilates the best of Super when it comes to fight scenes. You can feel every single blow and movement. Something super horribly lacks unless they have the occasional great animator. But the sound effects still detract from it by lacking OMPH!
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:OPM theme utterly obliterates Super's theme. It's not even a contest. So much power to the OPM theme, which Super's lacks. Maybe it's to tie into Super usually hardly having impactful fight scenes beyond a couple truly good ones.
Not a fan of the OPM Theme at all but my friend LOVES it. I think it depends what kind of music you want. Personally i like "Departure" the HxH theme.
That's true. I do like the HxH opening theme. Made up for the shitty ending theme before they finally got good ones later down the line. That theme also has way more energy than Super's theme does. Better flow too.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:11 pm

The DBS opening have a GREAT advantage: it's very easy to sing. The vocal extension is limited, no choir, easy to remember. I found myself singing it often with my mp3 when it appear.
OPM "HERO" opening have some hard vocalization, long instrumental solo and too much choirs, it's hard to sing it all alone.
So, I think that Chosetzu!Dynamic! was choosen and keeped all along for that reason.
(I was fantasizing at how an DB opening could play in: Attack of the Titan, Death Note 2nd, and JoJo Diamond is Unbreakable style, song and images... and is quite fun XD)
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I don't really mind the Super opening (My parents actually like it), however I do wish they had HERO by Flow cuz that would've been kickass. Anything Kageyama would be perfect as well.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:01 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I don't know where else to ask, but does anyone have the latest Toei financial results? The last one I can find was released over a year ago and I want to see where Dragon Ball stands right before the dubs start airing.
This is the latest one that I tweeted about in November. According to this, don't expect Super to end anytime soon. :)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Sodhi wrote: This is the latest one that I tweeted about in November. According to this, don't expect Super to end anytime soon. :)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CwefUQlWEAEBsTB.jpg[img]
Oh, I already wasn't, was just curious how things compared to last year. Thank you very much.
Interesting to see DB that much over OP in overseas licensing before the dubs even started airing.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Why is it only now they're suddenly using a great deal of Buu Kai music? Last episode had a whole bunch, to the point I barely recognised the soundtrack. But we're 70 episodes in and only now are we bringing in a whole bunch of tracks that aren't even new.

I feel like they started implementing them in more about Episode 66. I just can't figure out why. If the people behind the music placement thought Sumitomo's current selection was too restrictive, why did it take them so long to expand it?
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:35 pm

MozillaVulpix wrote:Why is it only now they're suddenly using a great deal of Buu Kai music? Last episode had a whole bunch, to the point I barely recognised the soundtrack. But we're 70 episodes in and only now are we bringing in a whole bunch of tracks that aren't even new.

I feel like they started implementing them in more about Episode 66. I just can't figure out why. If the people behind the music placement thought Sumitomo's current selection was too restrictive, why did it take them so long to expand it?
They had an abundance of potentially good Sumitomo tracks that they weren't using, so they used them. Too the benefit of the tracks, no less, their placement is light-years ahead of Boo Kai's.
Retired.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:They had an abundance of potentially good Sumitomo tracks that they weren't using, so they used them. Too the benefit of the tracks, no less, their placement is light-years ahead of Boo Kai's.
Exactly. Never been a fan of Kai 2.0 soundtrack, but many tracks fits better in Super than in Boo Arc IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:59 pm

At least this OP makes sense for a shonen, not like GT, but despite of that, GT's op was wonderful but doesn't fit in a shonen