What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What would a reboot have to do in order to comply to today's standards?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:40 am

Jord wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:22 pm I, a woman, do not want to have children exposed to women being victimized by men, especially when played for laughs. This shit is offensive.
No. You find it offensive. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't watch it then and don't let your children watch it.

Would be nice if people learned the nuance of “I can enjoy things while still recognizing their problematic content and would like to see creators do better”

And it’s not like Dragon Ball hasn’t done better. Zamasu as a coded gay character is a huge step up from Pedo Blue and Would be Twink Rapist Otokosuki.

Toei in 1996 seemed to recognize the problem with Staff Officer Black’s character design and revamped him for Path to Ultimate Power.

The utter Saiyan sausage fest has been mitigated a bit by Kefla and Kale.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 amThe exact opposite in fact. Shonen is young boy. The target audience is about 6-12 (first to sixth graders).
This range has the issue of leaving a weird gap between the shonen-seinen demography:

6 years --- 12 years : Shonen

13 years --- 17 years : ????

18 years and older : Seinen
I dunno I think Seinen still falls under teenage and up. 🤷 in the US the two main tv demographics appear to be 6-11 and 18-49 but obviously 12-17 and 50+ watch tv.

Regardles, a series with traffic safety and fire safety videos wasn’t intended for teenagers/young adults.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:48 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 am
goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 pm

The Shonen demographic is supposed to start around 12 and maybe end around 18 years of age.
The exact opposite in fact. Shonen is young boy. The target audience is about 6-12 (first to sixth graders)
I have looked at a couple websites describing Shounen manga, and not one of them mentions 6 year olds. They all say that it refers to teenage and preteen boys (12-18).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:54 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:48 amI have looked at a couple websites describing Shounen manga, and not one of them mentions 6 year olds. They all say that it refers to teenage and preteen boys (12-18).
Same, I have no idea where 6-12 came from.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Shounen literally means young boy. I hate to break it to you guys but teenagers on the cusp of adulthood are not considered young boys.

Put please tell me how any of this:

https://youtu.be/l7HHi_cDnP8

https://youtu.be/vdkKul3zOXY

https://youtu.be/7S3-HcJ9oYM

Was intended for 16 year olds :lolno:

Even this Japanese commercial for Dragon Ball Z Kakarot is pointing out the adults playing this game where kids who grew up with Dragon Ball

https://youtu.be/D6MDjzqnK1Y

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Even though Shonen is typically aimed at young boys I'm curious what the target audience for current DB is, since it relies a lot on nostalgia.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:28 pm Even though Shonen is typically aimed at young boys I'm curious what the target audience for current DB is, since it relies a lot on nostalgia.
Basically anyone who likes Dragon Ball at all ages at this point.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm

All series that have been around for a while tend to recognize that there's a lot of nostalgic adults there's money in appealing to. Sailor Moon in particular has been pretty heavily aimed at adults for quite a while now - this isn't because it's not a childrens' show at heart, but because they recognize that the average Sailor Moon fan today is not an 8 year old girl, but a woman in her 30s who got into the franchise when she was 8.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 pm Shounen literally means young boy. I hate to break it to you guys but teenagers on the cusp of adulthood are not considered young boys.
Shounen just means "boys" or "youths". Shou meaning "a few" and nen meaning "years". Not necessarily "young boys" specifically.

At any rate, 6-12 seems a little bit low to me. I would place it closer to 10-15 really, but every series is different so some skew older while others skew younger. Some might have readers outside of the targeted age group.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:57 pm All series that have been around for a while tend to recognize that there's a lot of nostalgic adults there's money in appealing to. Sailor Moon in particular has been pretty heavily aimed at adults for quite a while now - this isn't because it's not a childrens' show at heart, but because they recognize that the average Sailor Moon fan today is not an 8 year old girl, but a woman in her 30s who got into the franchise when she was 8.
I get the feeling the same goes for Dragon Ball. Are there any viewer demographics regarding Super's run?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:37 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 amThe exact opposite in fact. Shonen is young boy. The target audience is about 6-12 (first to sixth graders).
This range has the issue of leaving a weird gap between the shonen-seinen demography:

6 years --- 12 years : Shonen

13 years --- 17 years : ????

18 years and older : Seinen
Because the model of it from my understanding is that Jump magazines are meant to reel you in early ( ages 6,7,8) and keeping hooked into adult hood (Ages 18+). I think there is a Teen age based Jump magazine that's Bi-weekly or at least it used to be not too sure.

Be that as it may though, thats why the content can vary from poop jokes, to broken bones and dismembered limbs up to mild forms of sexual humor I.E Roshi's antics and Naruto's Sexy Jutsu. Again there's something for everyone to keep the broader demographic entertained throughout.

The 12-13 year old will get a kick outta seeing Bulma's Butt and Roshi lose his mind but the 6 year old reading it will most likely not get it.

On the opposite end, the poop joke might not get much of a chuckle out of the 16 year old but the 8 year old would be rolling on the floor laughing.

Then at the end of it all everyone is on the edge of their seat as Goku is about to square off with his next big opponent.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:29 am It’s not that the content is “too mature” its that it makes light of sexual harassment and rape culture
Feeling up on a woman? No not quite. But in the debut episode of the Rowdy Ruff Boys in Power Puff Girls, the girls were so out classed by the guys they had to result in "Being Nice" to them ( wearing make up and kissing them) to ultimately win. It also featured a villain who seduced and Gas lit Professor Utonium to gain an emotionally abusive advantage over the girls.

How about Mandark fawning over Dee Dee in Dexter's lab. Or Dexter warping his body to try to impress an older girl he had a crush on. Hell Johnny Bravo is famous for hitting on almost every woman he came across and getting slapped around for it. All of these things were done in exaggerated manners to play up the humor but it's definitely something that someone older than 9 or 10 would ultimately being to understand yet people younger than that watched and enjoyed it.
It’s not that the content is “too mature” its that it makes light of sexual harassment and rape culture
Not saying that Japan condones rape but this is the same country that was known for having "Used Panty' vending machines or did we forget? The culture was a lot different back then than it is now. Also despite some HEAVY reaching by different people (Celebs and all ) Dragon Ball is not some piece of social commentary or satire. It's not South Park or Family Guy.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm

You know, I might be wrong, but wasn't Future Trunks referred to as a Shounen by the narrator when he first appeared? And I am pretty sure he was not 10yo when he went back in time.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:46 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Feeling up on a woman? No not quite. But in the debut episode of the Rowdy Ruff Boys in Power Puff Girls, the girls were so out classed by the guys they had to result in "Being Nice" to them ( wearing make up and kissing them) to ultimately win. It also featured a villain who seduced and Gas lit Professor Utonium to gain an emotionally abusive advantage over the girls.

How about Mandark fawning over Dee Dee in Dexter's lab. Or Dexter warping his body to try to impress an older girl he had a crush on. Hell Johnny Bravo is famous for hitting on almost every woman he came across and getting slapped around for it. All of these things were done in exaggerated manners to play up the humor but it's definitely something that someone older than 9 or 10 would ultimately being to understand yet people younger than that watched and enjoyed it.
Not a single one of those was even close to comparable to Roshi trying to grab Lunch’s ass while she’s cooking or feel up on Ranfan when she’s knocked out. Or peek on Bulma taking a piss. I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make.

[quote

Not saying that Japan condones rape but this is the same country that was known for having "Used Panty' vending machines or did we forget? The culture was a lot different back then than it is now. Also despite some HEAVY reaching by different people (Celebs and all ) Dragon Ball is not some piece of social commentary or satire. It's not South Park or Family Guy.
[/quote]

Nobody is expecting Dragon Ball to be social commentary what the hell are you on about?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:18 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:12 pm You know, I might be wrong, but wasn't Future Trunks referred to as a Shounen by the narrator when he first appeared? And I am pretty sure he was not 10yo when he went back in time.
shounen isn't a specific age so, i'm not sure what you mean. trunks is supposed to be like 16 or 17 when he's first introduced, so yeah he's not exactly a young kid but it's not like it's unfitting. plenty of character (or maybe just vegeta and the artifical humans ?) refer to him as Kid or Boy through out the viz manga iirc, so make of that what you will.

edit : also yeah, i'm pretty sure that senien/josei includes most teenagers, but i'll be honestly, it doesn't seem like there's a huge difference between senien/josei and shounen/shoujo outside of the romance stuff. someone who knows more then me feel free to correct me, but honestly i don't even think there seems to be that big of a difference between senien and josei themselves lol.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:26 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:46 pm Not a single one of those was even close to comparable to Roshi trying to grab Lunch’s ass while she’s cooking or feel up on Ranfan when she’s knocked out. Or peek on Bulma taking a piss. I’m not even sure what point you’re trying to make.
It's not so much the acts themselves that I'm comparing because we'd be going back and forth all day, I'm just giving examples on how Mature-ish themes and antics can be put into a non-adult show and be dumbed down to the point where its acceptable to show to anyone under the age of 15. You said there wasn't anything on cartoon network like that and I gave you several examples to prove the contrary.

Nobody is expecting Dragon Ball to be social commentary what the hell are you on about?
You switched your argument that Roshi's shenanigans' are "too mature" for a supposed " Kids Show" to that they were somehow a representation on how Rape Culture is down played. Which is a social issue, which would imply that Dragon Ball is satirical portrayal on Japanese Culture and it's not. At best you can say there are some satirical elements but that's not its core premise.

Anyhow you've been shown that Shonen Jump or even the term Shonen itself isn't specifically referring to elementary school students but the broader scope of boys under the age of 19 and even at the earliest being age 12 which would mean the target audience are in middle school and high school, though the stories told in the books can be enjoyed by folks of all ages.

So even if you feel like Roshi being a perv is distasteful , the jokes are/were in line with Dragon Ball's target demo and that's a fact and facts and feelings usually don't mix well but I digress.

One more thing... most adults over the age of 35 refer to anyone under the age of 25 as "kid" in general. Sometimes its derogatory in the case of anyone between the ages of 20 and 25 but in that particular case it's just to play on a young adults lack of any real life experience.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:48 pm

Jord wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:50 pm
I get the feeling the same goes for Dragon Ball. Are there any viewer demographics regarding Super's run?
Super literally aired in a morning childrens' anime block next to One Piece and has tons of merch aimed at kids. Multiple spinoff manga aimed at kids too. It's not the same at all.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!