"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:14 am

puar wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
puar wrote:after playing xenoverse 2 quite a bit. i actually love masters voice as zamasu. its uniqe. i think they need to keep him
I'm pretty sure they are, especially since the Xenoverse 2 dub's really rough, compared to how Super's dub will be.
what do you mean by ''rough''?
I mean that the direction was a bit spotty. This isn't anything new. Some of the actors, and Team Four Star, have complained about how they do the voice recording. Mainly that they don't have the cutscenes to work off of & poor direction notes, so they couldn't give their best with the dialogue. Marsters is the same way, especially since this is the first anime ANYTHING he's been in, so he's probably not used to that kind of voice acting. He'll be better in the show's dub for sure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:22 pm

So, with Vegeta about to fight it out with Jiren in Japan on Super Episode 122, and Brian Drummond about to shine as Copy Vegeta on Toonami in Super Episode 45, both airing on January 6th, I think we can call that day Vegeta Day. Do you guys agree with me?
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, with Vegeta about to fight it out with Jiren in Japan on Super Episode 121, and Brian Drummond about to shine as Copy Vegeta on Toonami in Super Episode 45, both airing on January 6th, I think we can call that day Vegeta Day. Do you guys agree with me?
I think you mixed things up Veget vs Jiren will happen on Episode 122 (2 weeks from now)
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Gafonso6 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, with Vegeta about to fight it out with Jiren in Japan on Super Episode 121, and Brian Drummond about to shine as Copy Vegeta on Toonami in Super Episode 45, both airing on January 6th, I think we can call that day Vegeta Day. Do you guys agree with me?
I think you mixed things up Vegeta vs Jiren will happen on Episode 122 (2 weeks from now)
Oops! Immediately corrected myself.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:02 am

3 weeks break!!!!

WTF?

i really hope there arnt no more breaks after that. like in the middle of the goku black arc.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:22 am

puar wrote:3 weeks break!!!!

WTF?

i really hope there arnt no more breaks after that. like in the middle of the goku black arc.
We'll see. The reason for most of the breaks were holidays & marathons of other shows. That's the best way to see when the next one's gonna be.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:58 am

#46 Goku vs. The Duplicate Vegeta! Which One Is Going to Win?!

#47 SOS From the Future! A Dark New Enemy Appears! 20/1

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:56 am

Man its going to be a tough wait for more Drummond goodness, especially with things like him interacting with Schemmel's Goku coming up. I thought this arc was meh when it was first broadcast but I'm so eating up the dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Man its going to be a tough wait for more Drummond goodness, especially with things like him interacting with Schemmel's Goku coming up. I thought this arc was meh when it was first broadcast but I'm so eating up the dub.
That's what everyone's been saying about the lower points of the show. The dub makes them more watchable. I wonder why exactly that is.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Man its going to be a tough wait for more Drummond goodness, especially with things like him interacting with Schemmel's Goku coming up. I thought this arc was meh when it was first broadcast but I'm so eating up the dub.
That's what everyone's been saying about the lower points of the show. The dub makes them more watchable. I wonder why exactly that is.
The Resurrection 'F' Saga is considered the lowest point even with the Copy Vegeta stuff.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Scsigs wrote:
For me its a novelty thing. We haven't heard Drummond's Vegeta for nearly 15 years. That alone makes a brief cameo all the more impactful. I didn't feel any differently about the movie retellings as I did in the sub because I'm used to hearing the Funi and Japanese casts on a weekly basis. It just feels special having an Ocean cast member back, especially when its done in a creative and unique way (i.e. Sabat and Drummond or Schemmel and Drummond interacting, neither of which anyone thought we'd ever see in Dragon Ball). It's also Drummond's debut in an uncut dub with the original score (by all accounts this wasn't the case for Kai).
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Oh shit, one more week until Episode 45 drops and we get some more Drummond goodness. I can't wait! :mrgreen: The only thing that sucks is the fact that we have to wait one more week. :oops:

thempafighter

Post by thempafighter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:11 pm

I have a feeling this has been mentioned before, do you guys think once Kai is done airing, a 2nd new episode of Super will take its place? I'm pretty skeptical about it, but it could be a possibility.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:16 pm

So, 44 episodes in one year for the dub eh? Since Super started to air in January 2017, we can estimate that by the end of 2018 - the dub may reach about episodes 88-90 unless we get a long hiatus - which would be ridiculous considering Japan has never had one and this is no longer like the old DBZ days where multiple Toonami episodes aired once a week. Funimation now has plenty of time to get one episode out a week as well as about a month worth of a break into between dubbing a year. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR DUB-ONLY FANS:

So, 2018 could possibly end on SPOILERS FOR DUB-ONLY FANS - Funimation's dubbed "Episode 88. Gohan and Piccolo Teacher and Pupil Clash in Max Training!"

This means we'd get to the Android 17 return/recruitment episodes in December 2018 and be completely through the Goku Black episodes. EXCTING!!! Also, Gohan training again would be a nice dub episode to end on to a promise of 2019's ToP dubbed episodes.
I have a feeling this has been mentioned before, do you guys think once Kai is done airing, a 2nd new episode of Super will take its place? I'm pretty skeptical about it, but it could be a possibility.
I want this to happen, but I doubt it will. They'll probably just add a new series like My Hero Academia or something. I don't think Funimation wants to catch up to Japan's airings too quickly. However, I could see them doing an EVERY END OF MONTH TWO-EPISODE PREMIERE OF SUPER kind of thing where we get two episodes every end of month or maybe even beginning of month. I don't know. I'd prefer for Funimation to just do what they did in the old days and release the home releases ahead of the airings so we could binge watch the episodes like classic Z and even Kai. But in this age of streaming being superior to TV, I think Funimation signed a contract with Toonami that prevents them from releasing episodes prior to the airing on Toonami - which is why dubbed episodes can't immediately be on FunimationNow.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:51 pm

thempafighter wrote:I have a feeling this has been mentioned before, do you guys think once Kai is done airing, a 2nd new episode of Super will take its place? I'm pretty skeptical about it, but it could be a possibility.
Nope. Unless it's a special one hour viewing, like what Fuji TV & Toei did however long ago, that's 2 episodes in 1 night, which I can only see being done on special nights. The way the contract with Toei apparently works, judging by how they got Kai TFC out, is that they HAVE to get the show airing on TV if they both wanna release it & dub it in the first place. This means that they need to get the show on TV.
However, they'd run out of episodes REALLY fast if they did that. There are almost 80 episodes between us & Japan right now. This means that by the end of next year, they'd be around 50-52 episodes off from Japan. Blow through those, then there'd be only half that, which would ALSO get blown through pretty fast. If Toei allowed them to do an eventual broadcast dub within some time of the Japanese broadcast, that could be done, but Toei didn't let them do that initially, so I doubt they're gonna do it. There's a LOT of reasons for why they're not gonna do that than the logistics, though.
mecha3000 wrote:I'd prefer for Funimation to just do what they did in the old days and release the home releases ahead of the airings so we could binge watch the episodes like classic Z and even Kai. But in this age of streaming being superior to TV, I think Funimation signed a contract with Toonami that prevents them from releasing episodes prior to the airing on Toonami - which is why dubbed episodes can't immediately be on FunimationNow.
Not gonna happen. The thing with Z & Kai is that Z had already finished airing in Japan by half a decade at that point & Kai should've been out by this year anyway, seeing as the dub was done YEARS ago & other countries aired it already. On top of that, reverse importation has become a thing, since American Blu-Rays are less expensive than Japanese ones. Toei wants as much money as possible, so they're not gonna allow FUNi to release their Blu-Rays & DVDs anywhere near or before theirs. Resurrection F was released only a few weeks over here than it was in Japan, but there's more money in the TV industry than the film industry, so it's not like it matters. Plus, that movie's not really good. It's also got something to do with the contract, yeah, but there's a LOT more reasons than just that. It's just how the industry works.
And, yes, Toei are just as much dinosaurs as Nintendo.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know what would be Super awesome? (Pun intended, as always). If we had an Ocean dub of Super, and while Drummond voices Regular Vegeta, It would be Sabat who voices Copy Vegeta. Tell me that wouldn't be dope!
That sounds really amazing.

If Ocean's Kai dub gets some traction, I'd like to see them do a Final Chapters dub with the Funimation cast doing the Cell Games re-enactment. That'd be a good laugh. :)

One thing that could be fun would be if Funi surprise everyone by having Goku Black be a surprise twist casting -- Ian Corlett.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know what would be Super awesome? (Pun intended, as always). If we had an Ocean dub of Super, and while Drummond voices Regular Vegeta, It would be Sabat who voices Copy Vegeta. Tell me that wouldn't be dope!
That sounds really amazing.

If Ocean's Kai dub gets some traction, I'd like to see them do a Final Chapters dub with the Funimation cast doing the Cell Games re-enactment. That'd be a good laugh. :)

One thing that could be fun would be if Funi surprise everyone by having Goku Black be a surprise twist casting -- Ian Corlett.
What if we had the Ocean cast doing the Cell Games Reenactment for the FUNi dub. I know that ship's already sold with the Blu-Rays already being out & the episode being aired, but if Sabat had done that, I think that would've been a good substitution for the TFS audio being replaced. Then again, who knows if all of those actors would've been available to do that.

In any case, to that last point, that's not gonna happen. Schemmel's gonna voice Black, since he has already & it wouldn't make sense for him NOT to do it. I'll raise you one & say, what if instead of James Marsters playing Zamasu, it was either Corlette or Kalemis playing him? It'd be a fun playful nod to the casting order of Goku in English during the 90s. Or even Steve Blum? Then again, his voice for him might not fit. In any case, I'm fine with Marsters making up for the terrible Evolution movie, but I think the Ocean actors make better casting gags than Evolution.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Yeah, and besides, as it was proven before, Sean would be angry if someone else played Black other than him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:57 pm

Scsigs wrote:What if we had the Ocean cast doing the Cell Games Reenactment for the FUNi dub. I know that ship's already sold with the Blu-Rays already being out & the episode being aired, but if Sabat had done that, I think that would've been a good substitution for the TFS audio being replaced. Then again, who knows if all of those actors would've been available to do that.
Yeah, I wish this Toei vs TFS thing had come out sooner, basically because I have a feeling Sabat would have pushed for that. It could have been really awesome.
Scsigs wrote:In any case, to that last point, that's not gonna happen. Schemmel's gonna voice Black, since he has already & it wouldn't make sense for him NOT to do it. I'll raise you one & say, what if instead of James Marsters playing Zamasu, it was either Corlette or Kalemis playing him? It'd be a fun playful nod to the casting order of Goku in English during the 90s. Or even Steve Blum? Then again, his voice for him might not fit. In any case, I'm fine with Marsters making up for the terrible Evolution movie, but I think the Ocean actors make better casting gags than Evolution.
Fair.
Thing is, the reason Marsters originally wanted to play Piccolo in Evolution is because he's a Dragon Ball fan, so having him in an official dub is really cool for him. The casting gag thing is just a side-effect, I think. Marsters is a great choice for Zamas.

The great thing about the Ocean cast is that they're really great actors, so I'm really glad the door seems to be open for Funimation to bring in such incredible extra people once in a while. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Yeah, I wish this Toei vs TFS thing had come out sooner, basically because I have a feeling Sabat would have pushed for that. It could have been really awesome.
Well, to be fair, it's not like it wasn't a secret. I mean, they've pulled down their channel, or tried to, several times now over the last almost 10 years for god's sakes. I kinda wish this hadn't gotten so out of hand. I mean, the TFS guys that are under the NDAs; Kaiser, Lani, Masako, & Taka, won't be able to talk about the situation for a while, so we'll never truly know what happened behind the scenes, though Lani HAS said somewhere that they've been greylisted from working at FUNi for a while because of the stunt, which I don't think is fair. Barring FUNi from casting them in DB dubs, I get, but it hardly makes sense when General Ivan/Chris Guerrero is Geckko Moria in One Piece's dub & Lani's done several tertiary voice roles in that same series, as well as other non-Toei anime dubs. I don't think that they can legally bar FUNi from hiring them as VAs, especially when they have a working relationship with several of them & Toei's licenses aren't all that's in their library, also because it's not feasible, because that's just the most insane shit I can think of.
This whole situation got way out of hand &, while I like Sabat thinking outside the box on this one, maybe he should've played it safe with his actor choices here. Like, have TFS write the dialogue, but have the Ocean VAs record the voices or something. The other dubs that were based off the English dub kept the lines, so that's obviously not the problem, also because they had some direct references to TFS in the first 98 episodes of Kai in the dialogue. I don't know. Thinking about this has become just depressing for me now.
Robo4900 wrote:Thing is, the reason Marsters originally wanted to play Piccolo in Evolution is because he's a Dragon Ball fan, so having him in an official dub is really cool for him. The casting gag thing is just a side-effect, I think. Marsters is a great choice for Zamasu.

The great thing about the Ocean cast is that they're really great actors, so I'm really glad the door seems to be open for Funimation to bring in such incredible extra people once in a while. :)
Actually, Marsters had gotten the role BEFORE becoming a DB fan & only grew to be a fan while watching the show to research his part. Seeing as he had the most restrained performance in the film, I'd say he tried to play the Piccolo from the show as a result.
In any case, I'm sure he'll be great as Zamasu. Too bad we have to wait 2-3 months to hear for ourselves after the iffy Xenoverse 2 dub that was kinda half & half at best.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.