Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:18 pm

Tsukento wrote:Ugh. This whole movie screams DISASTER and is likely to become the Spirits Within of the Dragon Ball franchise. Suddenly, that Hong Kong movie looks mighty fine right about now.
If by disaster, you mean, the best thing ever, then I agree fully.

Like I said already, this movie was never going to please everyone. Take it for what it is; a joke.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Bad movies aren't necessarily entertaining. Uwe Boll keeps proving that again and again, for example.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:Bad movies aren't necessarily entertaining. Uwe Boll keeps proving that again and again, for example.
Uwe Boll needs some Namekian Ninjas, sir.

BartTrunks

Post by BartTrunks » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Damn i wish we could do something. I don't mind if they deviate from the show. In fact I want them to so we could see something different, like gohan being the one to destroy buu or something like that. What they need is a new script, director, and higher budget.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:58 pm

Also, Piccolo shouldn't even know he's a Namekian. He originally thought himself to be a demon. So he shouldn't know of a Saiyan, either. The very aspect of trying to get Goku to join him is also ridiculous as he never allowed for anyone else but himself to have any form of power.

Ugh. This whole movie screams DISASTER and is likely to become the Spirits Within of the Dragon Ball franchise. Suddenly, that Hong Kong movie looks mighty fine right about now.

See, this is one of my biggest issues with fandoms. I am so damn so sick of the "GASP! That's not how it was in the original! That sucks!" reactions I see for... every movie based on anything anymore I want to kick something. I don't know, maybe I'm just more open minded than the vast majority of people... but I'm not going to get into it anymore, it's too damned annoying arguing opinion. Also, The Spirits Within >>>>>>>> than anything FF7. The movie rocked.
What they need is a new script, director, and higher budget.
Um, $100 million is not a small budget. Example: The Matrix only had $63 million.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Xyex wrote:Um, $100 million is not a small budget. Example: The Matrix only had $63 million.
If this movie has a battle scene as awesome as the lobby scene in the Matrix and big tits on ChiChi, all will be forgiven.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Xyex wrote:Um, $100 million is not a small budget. Example: The Matrix only had $63 million.
If this movie has a battle scene as awesome as the lobby scene in the Matrix and big tits on ChiChi, all will be forgiven.
I'm already envisioning Goku and Piccolo tossing each other through buildings.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:28 pm

BartTrunks wrote:Damn i wish we could do something. I don't mind if they deviate from the show. In fact I want them to so we could see something different, like gohan being the one to destroy buu or something like that. What they need is a new script, director, and higher budget.
What the hell? You haven't even seen the script yet, so that doesn't make any sense.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:29 pm

T.T

... We've only seen that one source... do we have reason to believe this isn't a joke to see how we'll react?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:55 pm

b_boult wrote:
BartTrunks wrote:Damn i wish we could do something. I don't mind if they deviate from the show. In fact I want them to so we could see something different, like gohan being the one to destroy buu or something like that. What they need is a new script, director, and higher budget.
What the hell? You haven't even seen the script yet, so that doesn't make any sense.
Well, he did see the epic plot point of Yamcha taunting our heroes with a rope ladder.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm

I don't know much about CHUD.com, but it doesn't sound like they have any reason to make that up, and IGN seems to consider them a credible source. That Montreal Gazette article was definitely credible, though, and they turned out to be absolutely right about the other two movies they mentioned with the DBZ one.

Like I was saying on IRC yesterday, Fox probably wants to suddenly capitalize on the success of Transformers with an action cartoon from the 80's they've already had the rights to for years.

And this is obviously based more on early DB than anything. Gokuu doesn't know about the Dragon Balls yet, and he hasn't met Buruma, Kamesennin, or Yamcha yet. If Oolong or Puer were included, it would be even more obvious, but they've been replaced by trucks and ropes, I guess. This just makes the fifth retelling, though, with an older Gokuu and Chichi (no child actors to worry about) and Piccolo as the villain. Kuririn, Tenshinhan, et al, wouldn't be around until the sequel, assuming this doesn't bomb horribly.
-Rachel

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:48 pm

What they need is a new script, director, and higher budget.
So, what they need is to...make a Dragonball movie. Even if this wasn't Dragonball, it is such a boring synopsis....maybe fun with a good director and good actors, but very common nonetheless.

Whatever, it's not the 1st synopsis we read, and it won't be the last...

Oh, and I can't wait to see Shenron. Do you think he's gonna be a ninja too ?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:34 pm

I wouldn't trust IGN...these are the same guys that said Fallout Boy was amazing >_>

But still, this movie is going to be an epic disastor. Hell, even non-fans of the show would at least know how incredibly inaccurate the script is.

And :lol: @ Xyex for defending this piece of shit.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:43 pm

I actually like the fact that the character synopsis' are so out of whack. C'mon, folks. Even if they did the story 100% accurate, it would still be stupid as hell, since the cartoony nature of the anime/manga can't fit easily into the live-action realm.

I say, bring it on, Fox. I'm ready to laugh. I love watching bad movies, it gives me plenty of laughter.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Hero 004
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hero 004 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:37 pm

At this point, I'm not believing anything until I see Dragonball(Z) right here: http://www.foxmovies.com
"Sometimes life is too uncertain to have regrets"- Goku

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:55 pm

So, if this is King Piccolo, he should give birth to Piccolo (as seen in Z) somtime after Goku defeats him. Wich means what? We will have two movies of fighting Piccolo? I hope not.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Xyex wrote:..................

See, this is one of my biggest issues with fandoms. I am so damn so sick of the "GASP! That's not how it was in the original! That sucks!" reactions I see for... every movie based on anything anymore I want to kick something. I don't know, maybe I'm just more open minded than the vast majority of people... but I'm not going to get into it anymore, it's too damned annoying arguing opinion. Also, The Spirits Within >>>>>>>> than anything FF7. The movie rocked.
If this was a movie on its own. Fine. If the movie actually decided to use original elements but take a twist to them, similar to the first and last Dragon Ball movies, then fine. That would work.

But absolutely everything about that, including the characters themselves is ruined. If you're going to make a movie about Dragon Ball, don't destroy characters that have already been established 20 years ago.

No matter how much you try to polish this movie, a turd is still a turd. This movie seems awfully familiar to the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:41 pm

I stayed away from this thread for a while until I saw the update on daizex.

... and ugh, when I read through all of those character descriptions... I was pretty mixed in how I should feel about the movie (not that I wasn't before). I mean, I guess it kinda makes sense that it wouldn't stick directly to the manga or anime, but from what I read... ugh.

The nitpicky stuff's already been brought up (Mai, the truck, what the E in DBE means...), so I'll skip over those.

I guess if they were to go through the entire series (and making some serious changes throughout), it kinda makes sense that they didn't just drop the viewer into the DB Universe starting with the Vegeta stuff (though I could see some ways on how they could pull it off). And given what we have with the movie, I doubt Piccolo will be killed and reborn, like in the manga-- too much time that could be given to the direct story.

An ancient being who despite his humanoid appearance...
Really? I would have enjoyed at least something resembling the Nemeks we're all familiar with. I don't want to have future bad guys adapted to the point of them just looking like regular people too, y'know? For example, I could totally see final form Freeza actually not being too "out there" to have.
theoriginalbilis wrote:Even if they did the story 100% accurate, it would still be stupid as hell, since the cartoony nature of the anime/manga can't fit easily into the live-action realm.

I say, bring it on, Fox. I'm ready to laugh. I love watching bad movies, it gives me plenty of laughter.
Agreed :D.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:01 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:An ancient being who despite his humanoid appearance...
Really? I would have enjoyed at least something resembling the Nemeks we're all familiar with. I don't want to have future bad guys adapted to the point of them just looking like regular people too, y'know?
Indeed. If television budget shows like Angel and Charmed can pull off some friggin awesome looks, why can't a Namekian be done with a $100,000,000? >>
14 years later

BartTrunks

Post by BartTrunks » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Wait they have a 100 mil and that's the best they could come up with? With that kind of money on line this info cant be true. They need to make a good film so they can make some profits and make some sequels.