Least favourite character

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Least favourite character

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:What did Toei do differently with Freeza from the manga?
I think he means that the battle between him and Goku was stretched out in the Anime.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:What did Toei do differently with Freeza from the manga?
I think he means that the battle between him and Goku was stretched out in the Anime.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Eh, it would have been cooler if Yamucha had had a chance to do something besides become a zombie. It still seemed like the usual Gohan, Kuririn, and Piccolo team up (a la the Saiya-jin fight and the Freeza fight) to me.

I'll definitely agree with that. I just don't like seeing the other characters being cannon-fodder until Goku shows up to rescue them.

Anyway, to add to the actual topic at hand, I would say my least favorite is probably Freeza. As was already stated earlier, his character is presented well, but he's just such a jerk you can't help but dislike him. The extended length of the battle in the anime doesn't really get him points with me either.
Trans rights, now!

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:35 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote: My least favourite character is Mr. Satan. I think that Mr. Satan's constant "It's a trick!" whenever one of the Z-Senshi did something amazing got annoying after a while, as well as his insufferable cockiness at being "The Champion Of The World". I disliked how it took just winning to the Budokai to boost him to fame, and it irritated me further when he took the credit for killing Cell. It reflects a lot of what celebrities are like in our society--how they lie and use publicity stunts to further boost their image. Although he did get more tolerable in the Boo Arc, he was still a prick who lied to get where he is today.
I totally agree with that. I hated Satan ever since he first showed up and I wanted him to get killed SOO bad. But it NEVER happened !!! I can't believe out of all the characters who died, this moron somehow never got killed it. Bugs the crap out of me.

I would also say Super 17. Man he was a sucky villian ( yes even worse than broly ) His fight with Goku was the most boring fight throughout the entire series. I mean Goku just spammed kamehameha's the entire fight.. Everyone knows Goku doesn't fight like that. He does like one maybe two Kamehameha's per fight tops. That was just a very lazy fight with no effort put into it.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Chi-Chi or Cell Saga Gohan.
Trunks & Goten forever

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:50 pm

I would also have to say Broly.
Of the canon characters I'm not too sure. I'd have to say Chaozu I guess. I don't hate him but he is my least favourite character. He lacks personality and his psychic powers are the only thing that sets him apart from the other Dragon Warriors but it only proves useful when he arranges the matches for the Tenkaichi Budokai. Say what you want about ChiChi but she contributed more to the story and had more personality than Chaozu. Hell, Dr. Brief contributed more to the story than Chaozu.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 am

Makaioshin wrote:I would also have to say Broly.
Of the canon characters I'm not too sure. I'd have to say Chaozu I guess. I don't hate him but he is my least favourite character. He lacks personality and his psychic powers are the only thing that sets him apart from the other Dragon Warriors but it only proves useful when he arranges the matches for the Tenkaichi Budokai. Say what you want about ChiChi but she contributed more to the story and had more personality than Chaozu. Hell, Dr. Brief contributed more to the story than Chaozu.
I know, it's sad, but it seems like Toriyama created Chaozu's character simply because he needed a partner for Tenshinhan. I mean, he loses every fight he's been in (and even still, only the one with Kuririn can actually count as a proper fight). He does have no personality, other than, sad for me to say it, suck Tenshinhan's dick. Toriyama couldn't have been more blatant at saying "Chaozu's a useless weakling!" when he flung the poor bastard on Nappa's back to subsequently explode because there was nothing more for him to do, but die. Nor does his character design help him any, since he even looks like an annoying little midget prick who deserves to be called a weakling.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah, Chaozu was always a huge disappointment to me. I mean, from the time he was introduced through the Saiya-jin saga, he was touted as a main character in artwork. He, Goku, Yamucha, Kuririn, and Tenshinhan were supposed to be the main five fighters... but he never did anything! He had one good fight against Kuririn, which he lost. Then he died fighting Piccolo. Then he came back to life. Time skip. Got his ass kicked in the prelims and was shunted away, never to be seen again except for one, badly-drawn panel at the end of the Budoukai. Then he killed himself against Nappa... and then that's basically it for him. What a waste! It's not as though a psychic-based attacker couldn't have been cool. Why didn't Toriyama do ANYTHING with this character? Sigh.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, Chaozu was always a huge disappointment to me. I mean, from the time he was introduced through the Saiya-jin saga, he was touted as a main character in artwork. He, Goku, Yamucha, Kuririn, and Tenshinhan were supposed to be the main five fighters... but he never did anything! He had one good fight against Kuririn, which he lost. Then he died fighting Piccolo. Then he came back to life. Time skip. Got his ass kicked in the prelims and was shunted away, never to be seen again except for one, badly-drawn panel at the end of the Budoukai. Then he killed himself against Nappa... and then that's basically it for him. What a waste! It's not as though a psychic-based attacker couldn't have been cool. Why didn't Toriyama do ANYTHING with this character? Sigh.
Why didn't Toriyama do anything with Chaozu? Well, like I said, Toriyama simply needed a comrade for Tenshinhan, and then couldn't think of anything else to do with the character. And it's not hard to see, when you're plonked into the role of sidekick (sorta). There weren't enough places for Chaozu to make any valuable impact in the 22nd Budokai, since they had all the important characters (yes, even Chi-Chi, they needed her to marry off Goku). Then, once the Saiyan Arc rolled round, Chaozu just couldn't do anything against Nappa but inevitably die. From then on, all the Z-Senshi ('cept Kuririn, until Cell Arc) were overshadowed by Piccolo and the Super Saiyans exploding onto the screen.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

yummypixels
Not-So-Newbie

Post by yummypixels » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm

After reading everyone's replies, I have to say.. I like everyone listed (or tolerate them) allll except for Chaozu. I'm jumping aboard the Chaozu train. Maybe it's because he's generally freaky looking to me.. and kind of like a leech on Tien's back. But.. it's sort of the same thing with Yamcha and Puar--although I like Puar more than Chaozu.
LiveJournal <-- DB News & Updates
YouTube <-- My Figure Reviews & AMVs

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing Chaozu in the Cell Saga. Oh well, I never really disliked him.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:13 pm

I don't dislike Chaozu. I'm more angry at Toriyama for wasting the little potential that character had to be interesting.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't dislike Chaozu. I'm more angry at Toriyama for wasting the little potential that character had to be interesting.
This is the thing, when you make your main character get strong enough to single handedly defeat an intergalactic Hitler everyone else becomes worthless. Then you have to ass pull a bunch of B.S like everyone going Super Saiyan without any issue so at least 2 or 3 people can keep up. When everyone is already that powerful and you decide to make an even STRONGER villain that's when you get shit like Super Saiyan 3 and two forms of fusion. Pretty much why I dislike the Cell and Boo arcs it's hard to ignore that many ass pulls. (That's not to say they didn't exist in older arcs they just weren't so drastic. The dumbest thing I can think of off the bat is Korrin having the real magic water right next to the fake magic water from a few sagas ago.)
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 pm

yummypixels wrote: But.. it's sort of the same thing with Yamcha and Puar--although I like Puar more than Chaozu.
Well, the difference between the two is that Puar is an adorable little talking blue cat who's genuinely useful at times and does cute things. Chaoutzu... is a creepy little clown boy who stands around going 0_0 and dies a few times.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:18 pm

But still, he could have done something a little more creative than just give him brute strength. We're talking about a character who has telepathic fighting skills! Surely something could have been done with that! But even when filler pairs him up with the most important telekinetic villain the series has to offer, what do we get? Two episodes of uninspired headbutting. Genius...

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 pm

I like Chaozu. Adorable and creepy at the same time. His fight with Kururin at the 22nd TB was excellent, too, one of the highlights of the saga. Sure he sucks balls in Z but so does everyone besides Goku, eventually. You can't fault a character just because he eventually gets sidelined. Chaozu was never intended to kick anyone's ass.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:22 am

For me, it's always been Chi Chi. The whole "I want my son to be a scholar and study" thing is annoying. I've never found it funny, and I never will.
As for the Garlic Jr. strength inconsistency...you COULD say that he somehow found the time to train while being locked in the Dead Zone.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 am

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:For me, it's always been Chi Chi. The whole "I want my son to be a scholar and study" thing is annoying.
ARGH WANTING YOUR KID TO BE SUCCESSFUL? WHAT IS THIS VOODOO!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:05 am

My least fav is Pan and Bulma.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 am

Rocketman wrote:
Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:For me, it's always been Chi Chi. The whole "I want my son to be a scholar and study" thing is annoying.
ARGH WANTING YOUR KID TO BE SUCCESSFUL? WHAT IS THIS VOODOO!
Personally, I don't think it has to do with what she wants for her son. It's that she completely disregards what her son wants for himself.
Trunks & Goten forever