Western Style Dragon Ball Project

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Western Style Dragon Ball Project

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I feel great dissappointment in you two. Great dissapointment indeed. :twisted:

Nice work again, Scarz! I'm looking forward to your Cell more so, though!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:27 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I feel great dissappointment in you two. Great dissapointment indeed. :twisted:
Hey, pure size isn't as important as proportion to the rest of the body. lol Anyway, I'm just saying that if the goal is only to transition Dragon Ball into a western animation style, then the character traits that can roll over into the new style should do so. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Yeah,...as much as I liek bewbs, Chi Chi is way too busty for my tastes. Goku said she was flat chested, and those milk bags would throw off her martial arts balance. :wink:
:lol: Every time I think I'm holding back I still manage to go overboard. I really have to control myself when it comes to chests sizes. Tell you what, next time I draw Chichi (and the next DB women) I'll make sure to give the reasonable size breasts.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:44 pm

I think this might have been a better range:

Having followed a lot of your artwork, I know making them that small might be hard for you. After all, the ecchi/hentai is strong within you. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 am

Wow, you've made me like Chi-Chi a lot more. Lol!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:43 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Yeah,...as much as I liek bewbs, Chi Chi is way too busty for my tastes. Goku said she was flat chested, and those milk bags would throw off her martial arts balance. :wink:
Maybe Chi-Chi's breasts just sagged as she got older, and this is Dragon Ball. I doubt something like big breasts would affect someone like Chi-Chi, a superhuman martial artist who's the son of Gyuumao, student of Kame-sennin, an over 300-year-old legendary martial arts master who lives with a talking turtle.

Anyway, I'm liking your Chi-Chi, Scarz. And I guess, so will Rocketman.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am

Chi-Chi got some chichis lol.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Don't listen to this evil person under the name of TheDevilsCorpse.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Disney's DBZ, oh boy LOL :lol:
These would be funny for a parody of DBZ, but not as an actual remake. I don't know why, but I can't take anime characters as western cartoons seriously.
Good pics overall though. :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:18 am

I totally wanna see the Goku vs. Vegeta fight animated like this now Scarz lol

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm

These are just beautiful, holy crap, I can kinda see some Bruce Timm inspiration in the way the girls' faces are drawn. I kinda agree about Chichi being too busty though, other than that it's pretty perfect.

I really wanna see your interpretation of Kuririn and Freeza.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:29 pm

Probably not what people think when Western Style, but, it is from a Western Show. I just finished this spent a decent amount of time (a little over an hour, on this). Mr. Satan would definitely fit into this series' universe. I've done other Dragon Ball characters in this style. But, Mr. Satan's the only one done recently.

Yep, Mr. Satan, South Park style.

And I've loved the designs I've seen from Scarz, etc. it's cool seeing DB characters in a different medium.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the great comments!
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:Probably not what people think when Western Style, but, it is from a Western Show. I just finished this spent a decent amount of time (a little over an hour, on this). Mr. Satan would definitely fit into this series' universe. I've done other Dragon Ball characters in this style. But, Mr. Satan's the only one done recently.

[SNIP]
I can actually see Mr. Satan fitting nicely into the South Park universe. :lol: Will you be doing more of these SSJ4 Furanki?

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:36 pm

Yeah, I've actually had a decent number of characters done and I still have to do (Like Cell), some I've cleaned up so that match the style Mr. Satan is in now, and some I have to redo because of making it forever ago and never cleaning the image up, I made the mistake back then, of saving it as a JPG from the original work. But, yeah more will be up soon.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:25 am

Talking of which, ImmaKai1 posted a Dragon Ball Kai YouTube video of Mayumi Tanaka's Yajirobe, saying that she sounded like a Japanese Eric Cartman. And, I gotta say, he's right! :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s449PSbIX58
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Talking of which, ImmaKai1 posted a Dragon Ball Kai YouTube video of Mayumi Tanaka's Yajirobe, saying that she sounded like a Japanese Eric Cartman. And, I gotta say, he's right! :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s449PSbIX58
Yep, it even sounds a little like the Japanese Cartman voice. LiLiCo, the V.A. for Cartman sounded a lot like Trey's only female. But, here are the other characters.

Multiple versions of Goku (This would be perfect for a South Park style DB: Final Bout), I have the most iterations of him done so I can make SP style things the most and have the proper wear, but then a few are what-if or for fun, like the Vegetto Gi and the Evolution Gi.

This includes the few versions of Vegeta (the Cavs Jersey one was supposed to be in an animation about LeBron that didn't come to fruition [I'm from Cleveland so this was an inside view about how ridiculous the whole outrage was., one of the angry fans I used the Vegeta voice so I made a Vegeta with a Cavs Jersey.), then Vegetto, GT Trunks, Yi Xing Long, Freeza, Uub and Pan. I have more coming like Cell, a re-do of Buu, Piccolo eventually coming, Krillin, etc. I still have a decent amount to do.

This is an example of putting it into animation sort of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGgVBYFtrs

I get a little lazy, when it comes to animating, haha.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:24 am

Scarz wrote:Here it is, Western Style Chichi! Praise it, hate it, pick it apart, whatever, I would love to hear what you guys think!
....there are....no words....nnggghhha *faints*

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:39 pm

I absolutely love your work, Scarz! The sketch of Goku eating that chicken leg just really made me laugh, though I'm not entirely sure why it was so funny, but it worked. The rest of it is all very nice, too, especially the finished colored stuff.
TonyTheTiger wrote:No one's slick as Yamcha
No one's quick as Yamcha
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Yamcha
For there's no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you whose team they prefer to be on

No one's been like Yamcha
A king pin like Yamcha
No one's got a swell cleft in his chin like Yamcha
As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating
My what a guy, that Yamcha!
Mr. Satan would be much more fitting for that song if they just used his dub name, which given the context, would be forgivable anyway. Not to mention I personally have no problem with the name...
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:
TonyTheTiger wrote:No one's slick as Yamcha
No one's quick as Yamcha
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Yamcha
For there's no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon
You can ask any Tom, Dick or Stanley
And they'll tell you whose team they prefer to be on

No one's been like Yamcha
A king pin like Yamcha
No one's got a swell cleft in his chin like Yamcha
As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating
My what a guy, that Yamcha!
Mr. Satan would be much more fitting for that song if they just used his dub name, which given the context, would be forgivable anyway. Not to mention I personally have no problem with the name...
You could also just say "Satan." "No one's neck as incredibly thick as Satan."
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Sun-Wukong wrote:Mr. Satan would be much more fitting for that song if they just used his dub name
He's already got a song, though.