FUNimation selling extra Dragon Boxes at Dallas Comic Con

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation selling extra Dragon Boxes at Dallas Comic Co

Post by G1Ravage » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:56 am

FUNi is basically acknowledging how popular the Dragon Box releases were.

I'm still holding out hope that we some day get a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release.

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:27 am

Dragon Box huh? Put it on blu ray.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:44 am

I can accept this only if they choose to donate everything gained from this to charity. If not, shame on them.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:02 am

Does anybody actually know how much they're selling them for? If not, I feel like conclusions have been prematurely jumped to. Obviously they won't give them away for $30 a pop. They were originally going for $80, but knocked the prices down to $30. This is probably their opportunity to sell them for the intended price that was used to calculate their projected profits. I have a very difficult time believing that FUNimation will sell 40 episodes for $250.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:16 am

G1Ravage wrote:FUNi is basically acknowledging how popular the Dragon Box releases were.

I'm still holding out hope that we some day get a Dragon Ball Dragon Box release.
I think more Dragon Ball Boxes are not going to happen at this rate since blu-ray has been the main focus for the series for a while now. Funimation may want to wait for Toei to do their own blu-ray boxes later on. Next year is the 30th anniversary of the DB anime, so anything is possible next year.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:04 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Does anybody actually know how much they're selling them for?
Yes, images are right there in FUNi's tweet:

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 am

SSGSS Goku wrote:
ShadowDude112 wrote:Is FUNimation real? I just don't get this. How can a company do some much cool stuff, like release BoG and RF in theaters, and releasing cool things for other series, but just do all this stuff with Dragon Ball. Cropped DVD's, cropped Blu-rays, ignoring surveys, and now, scalping Dragon Boxes. I can't stand it. I just can't. I love Dragon Ball, and I'm so sad that Viz and FUNimation don't treat it with the respect it deserves. It really makes me feel like we'll never see a proper good release for the whole series, both, manga wise (all 42 volumes uncut and with a good translation), and anime wise (Dragon Boxes for DB, movies, and hell, even GT.) It's really sad that we have to face this truth.
I know. The one time we get a limited edition for Resurrection F, the only difference is the packaging and postcards. Where as with attack on Titan, they include a lots of other stuff in their limited edition that is worth the money. I feel like Funimation should've tried their hardest to get super a simulcast if they actually cared, but it could just be toei being a jerk. Anyways, as much as I like Funimation, I just feel that they shouldn't overprice dragon boxes to that extent. For example, $100 for Dragon Box 5. I can find it sealed for less on eBay.
Well to be fair to them, they hardly do CE/LE for movies, so we should be thankful we actually got something. As to way it wasn't fancier is price. People will probably a pay a lot of a tv show because well more content, but for a 90 min movie probably won't pay $80 no matter how fancy the release is. The CE is only $15 more than the regular (and looks much better too) and yet you still have folks being iffy about it. And FUNi have tried their hardest to get Super but Toei are set in their ways. I don't think it has been licensed anywhere yet.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:10 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:
ShadowDude112 wrote:Is FUNimation real? I just don't get this. How can a company do some much cool stuff, like release BoG and RF in theaters, and releasing cool things for other series, but just do all this stuff with Dragon Ball. Cropped DVD's, cropped Blu-rays, ignoring surveys, and now, scalping Dragon Boxes. I can't stand it. I just can't. I love Dragon Ball, and I'm so sad that Viz and FUNimation don't treat it with the respect it deserves. It really makes me feel like we'll never see a proper good release for the whole series, both, manga wise (all 42 volumes uncut and with a good translation), and anime wise (Dragon Boxes for DB, movies, and hell, even GT.) It's really sad that we have to face this truth.
I know. The one time we get a limited edition for Resurrection F, the only difference is the packaging and postcards. Where as with attack on Titan, they include a lots of other stuff in their limited edition that is worth the money. I feel like Funimation should've tried their hardest to get super a simulcast if they actually cared, but it could just be toei being a jerk. Anyways, as much as I like Funimation, I just feel that they shouldn't overprice dragon boxes to that extent. For example, $100 for Dragon Box 5. I can find it sealed for less on eBay.
Well to be fair to them, they hardly do CE/LE for movies, so we should be thankful we actually got something. As to way it wasn't fancier is price. People will probably a pay a lot of a tv show because well more content, but for a 90 min movie probably won't pay $80 no matter how fancy the release is. The CE is only $15 more than the regular (and looks much better too) and yet you still have folks being iffy about it. And FUNi have tried their hardest to get Super but Toei are set in their ways. I don't think it has been licensed anywhere yet.
I guess you're right, but back to the dragon boxes. No one is gonna buy them if they are at scalper prices, and like I said earlier, Dragon box 5 was even higher than the standard eBay prices. The only one that looks worth it is 4

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 am

Wowwww. Seeing that picture is hilarious. But at the same time, the fanbase has a voice like never before; bombard them with Tweets about how they're thieves. Do it professionally, though, otherwise it would just come off as a silly rant.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 am

bombard them with Tweets about how they're thieves.
How is this theft? Yes, they increased the price a lot, but that doesn't qualify it as theft.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:27 am

Selling one of the Dragon Boxes for $150 to fans who would begrudgingly buy them because of their love for the series is thievery, to be honest. That's $1,050 for all of them. You don't do that to your fans. In today's world, paying nearly $4 for ONE episode is ludicrous. Sorry, but it is. There is nothing special about this release, to be honest. It's got a cute box and book. Oohhh! Meanwhile it's the same show they released several times over. I can watch it on their channel and Hulu for nearly no cost. What's $50 per year for their channel? In addition to DB, I get access to their giant library.

I know the big thing is, "If you don't like it, don't buy it!" but the fact that they'd even have the audacity to try to sell these things for a price that they are definitely not worth is just shady. They're getting their prices based on morons on eBay.

The Dragon Boxes aren't worth that much. I know we're conditioned to believe that OMG we just have to get the show as it was intended. But let me ask you something, are you a fan of the series or a fan of the Dragon Box colors and the top and bottom of the picture? It's the same show. I know that the Dragon Box looks nicer, but you're not missing out on anything. This is me speaking as someone who has them and the Japanese ones. It's nice to have, it's cute to look at, but it's really not worth it at all.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that whoever thinks FUNimation is in the right here probably got these things as they came out for $40 and don't care if others have to spend over a grand on them.

These sets aren't worth that much. Sure, some fans will feel a burning need to get them, but it's really a giant ripoff. I will support FUNimation all day long, but even I'm not going to say that they're right in this case.
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:39 am

Selling one of the Dragon Boxes for $150 to fans who would begrudgingly buy them because of their love for the series is thievery, to be honest. That's $1,050 for all of them. You don't do that to your fans.
It's not theft and no one has to buy it. It's not force. Is the price high? For me, sure, but you aren't under any compulsion to buy it. Yes, it's pedantic to point out that theft is force, but it's important to make the distinction between someone feeling like the price point is too high versus being forced to pay inordinately higher price for something like utilities. There's no force here. If you don't think the price is worth it, don't buy it.
are you a fan of the series or a fan of the Dragon Box colors and the top and bottom of the picture? It's the same show
Presentation matters, and yes, I am missing out on things.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that whoever thinks FUNimation is in the right here probably got these things as they came out for $40 and don't care if others have to spend over a grand on them.
You're right I don't care, but if you are spending 1000 on this, you clearly want it and find the price worth it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

At the end of the day, it's a freaking DVD. It's not an amazing big thing, it's a DVD. They aren't worth that much. I could buy a really crappy car for the price of all seven Boxes and get much more use out of it. No matter what your argument is, it's still a freaking DVD. It's one thing for eBayers to try to scam people, it's a whole other ball game for this official company to try to do it, and with a smile on their face too, talking to you like you're an idiot who can't tell how badly they're about to rape you. "No, don't worry! We adjusted them to market price, that's all! Yayyy!" They basically said that I could get one episode for about a dollar. They've been telling me that for years. Guess what, can't put the genie back in the bottle and suddenly tell me it's worth four times as much now. It's not worth that at all.

Yes, some fans will buy it, but nobody will think that the price is fair. It's thievery because they're preying on fans who feel almost a need to buy them. Don't get me wrong, it's on the fans who didn't jump on them as they were coming out. I shelled out my money back then when they saved theirs. But it's still not right. And the way they did it is the worst part. If they had them there for that price, it's one thing. But they're trying to convince you that it's a great thing that they raised the prices, treating the fans like dummies. That's the worst part of all of this. It's like someone trying to convince you that you'll love being sodomized by a broken bottle.

Oh and you want to talk market price? I dare you to find one company out there who is officially, first-hand charging $4 per a 20 minute episode. Go find that for me. You won't, not in today's world.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:02 pm

You can say that about a lot of things. I agree, it's just a DVD, but that's for an individual to decide what they think it's worth. I don't think it's worth that much, hence why i wouldn't buy at those prices. That doesn't make it theft though.

Stop misusing terms like rape, theft, and scam. This isn't a scam. They aren't misrepresenting anything. They are raising the price to what they think they believe the market will bare.
Go find that for me. You won't, not in today's world.
Not when you can find the exact same episode in multiple places cheaper. This isn't the same product as the blu rays, you are getting the complete picture.

Your argument boils down to "theft is whenever I think something costs too much."

s841

Post by s841 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Wow is having it uncropped really worth 120$? :wtf:
s841 wrote:
ABED wrote:You can say that about a lot of things. I agree, it's just a DVD, but that's for an individual to decide what they think it's worth. I don't think it's worth that much, hence why i wouldn't buy at those prices. That doesn't make it theft though.

Stop misusing terms like rape, theft, and scam. This isn't a scam. They aren't misrepresenting anything. They are raising the price to what they think they believe the market will bare.

Your argument boils down to "theft is whenever I think something costs too much."
I totally agree...

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:33 pm

I don't really see the big deal. It's a one-time deal for a special convention for a release that hasn't been in print for four years. Who wasn't expecting a "collector's item" being put on display to have an absurd price?
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I don't really see the big deal.
There's no reason that the default version of Dragon Ball Z should be an overpriced collector's item. It was never advertised as such when the Boxes were coming out, and unless you're in Dallas and willing to pay those prices, no one can own Dragon Ball Z the way it was created.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 pm

B wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I don't really see the big deal.
There's no reason that the default version of Dragon Ball Z should be an overpriced collector's item. It was never advertised as such when the Boxes were coming out, and unless you're in Dallas and willing to pay those prices, no one can own Dragon Ball Z the way it was created.
It should be noted that it's also being done by the company that's putting it out. If some lone vendor was doing it then, sure, it's perfectly fine for them to be doing at the current bs prices. Is FUNi in such dire straits that it needs to price 'em so high? Why not just the MSRP?

As kei17 noted, if it was for charity then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. Until that changes it'll still be a scummy move by them that leaves a sour taste in people's mouths.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't really have a problem with the Boxes being limited (outside of not owning more than two of them myself as a result, bah), but...yeah, I can't really defend the pricing they're doing here, even if it's for a one time kinda thing. I don't think FUNi did it as maliciously as some would take it, but it's still just...wow.

C'mon FUNi, this is like an Aniplex USA type move. Don't be that guy, FUNi.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm

It was never advertised as such when the Boxes were coming out, and unless you're in Dallas and willing to pay those prices, no one can own Dragon Ball Z the way it was created.
It was implied that it was for collectors. The box was geared to a niche audience of a niche audience. JPN language w/ ENG subtitles is the default setting which should give you a pretty big clue as to whom this set is marketted to.