GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball GT or Dragon Ball Super? Which one is the best?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:24 am

Super. I feel that there's a lot more effort.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:18 am

Super hands down..

Gt doesn't even come close to it for me..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:28 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:...when they first introduced the concept... did anyone hear that idea and not think "This sounds like a bad fanfic written by a 12-year-old"?
No, because I don't judge concepts based on who could have conceivably created them. I judge them based on how they're actually introduced, and how they play out.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:59 pm

I feel like "Super Saiyan God," "Super Saiyan Blue," "Super Saiyan Rose," and a god that resembles a cat sounds like something out of a fanfic written by a 12 year old... more particularly because I thought of a concept similar to Super Saiyan God when I was around that age. As for the rest... "Well he's... he's so strong that... he is like 1,000 times stronger than Super Saiyan... like he's like... a Super Saiyan God! And his hair is like... blue..." That is definitely something I could see some little kid saying.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm

I also feel like that Super explains things better than GT. At least Super will explain things late then never at all. We did find out what happen to Beerus, Whis and Kaioshin in Trunks timeline. We also find why Goku never really use Kaioken again afterwards (I remember he said something like it's too hard on his body). GT poorly explain how the Black Star Dragon Balls work seeing that Goku, Pan and Trunks return them back before the end of the year and yet the Planet still blew up after Bebi made his wish (The system should reset itself after they return them back to Earth).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:49 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I also feel like that Super explains things better than GT. At least Super will explain things late then never at all. We did find out what happen to Beerus, Whis and Kaioshin in Trunks timeline. We also find why Goku never really use Kaioken again afterwards (I remember he said something like it's too hard on his body). GT poorly explain how the Black Star Dragon Balls work seeing that Goku, Pan and Trunks return them back before the end of the year and yet the Planet still blew up after Bebi made his wish (The system should reset itself after they return them back to Earth).
The Black Star Dragon Balls didn't stay on the Earth until the deadline. There was still two weeks left before the explosion. Baby's wish being fulfilled didn't help the effect either. So, in a way the detail was already explained at the end of Episode 39.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:04 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I also feel like that Super explains things better than GT. At least Super will explain things late then never at all. We did find out what happen to Beerus, Whis and Kaioshin in Trunks timeline. We also find why Goku never really use Kaioken again afterwards (I remember he said something like it's too hard on his body). GT poorly explain how the Black Star Dragon Balls work seeing that Goku, Pan and Trunks return them back before the end of the year and yet the Planet still blew up after Bebi made his wish (The system should reset itself after they return them back to Earth).
The Black Star Dragon Balls didn't stay on the Earth until the deadline. There was still two weeks left before the explosion. Baby's wish being fulfilled didn't help the effect either. So, in a way the detail was already explained at the end of Episode 39.
Episode 25 in GT states that Goku, Pan and Trunks have been in space for 9 months. So when they return, it has not been a full year yet when they return and allowing the side effect to be gone. When Bebi use the Black Star Dragon Balls again, they should have another year unless Goku was at the Kaioshin Planet for three months.

So far, Super never done anything yet to made my head hurt similar to the Black Star Dragon Balls. With the Time Travel in Super, there is likely more than just three or four timelines. Xenoverse mention that there should be multiple timelines and not just three or four.
She/Her

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I also feel like that Super explains things better than GT.
Ignoring power levels, of course.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Super by far.

Characters: Super's characters feel eccentric and they feel relevant to the plot

Music: I can completely forget GT's soundtrack all the time, and but Super's get stuck in my head because its so good.

Villains: Super wins by far. Besides Freeza the villains are interesting and unforgettable unlike GT
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 pm

I mean ... what is there to explain? Apparently they had to be returned to their original position within one year. Dende and Popo express horror when the Earth starts shaking because rather than return them, they handed them over to Baby. Maybe it's not the most deftly handled, but I don't see any room to misinterpret it when the end of the arc reveals Earth is still on schedule to explode.

I guess it's subjective, but I can't think of anything in GT as distractingly head-scratching as Super's implementation of who has god ki (Future Trunks arc, where it seems like it should have played a major role in sussing out Black's identity?), the way time travel has been presented this arc, or the seemingly big change in approach between Goku and Vegeta's base strength in the Freeza arc and new material, which goes quite a bit beyond just flexibly portraying strength for action scenes (which I'm fine with) and was genuinely a distracting element in terms of having any general sense of what scale the fights were on, how outmatched Piccolo may or may not be, etc. -- basic stuff that affects some of the tension. This is far from a major misgiving with Super for me, but it's present in a more actively distracting way than I can ever remember it being in the past. The time-travel explanations just feel sloppy, given that the arc was mapped out in advance.

Those issues aren't necessarily on Toriyama, by the way. I have a feeling everything would have played out quite clearly under his pen alone. They're on the series as executed under a team of writers at Toei.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:10 pm

At this stage, Super by a grand canyon wide margin, in damn near every department besides perhaps the soundtrack and the art direction. The Future Trunks arc alone is better than anything GT produced by leaps and bounds and Zamasu is the best villain the franchise has produced so far.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

Super. The retellings weren't that bad. People just like to hate it for being a rehash. Looking back, even the ROF arc wasn't that bad. They messed up the Goku vs Freeza fight but it was better written than the movie.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 pm

GT with a couple of second thoughts. The first three arcs of Super were horrible for me, so the Future Trunks arc is the one who makes me have second thoughts.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:29 am

I like and enjoy dbs more, i mean, i loved the BoG movie and liked the arc (for the things it did better than in the movie), i also loved the tournament arc (world building, good interactions between characters......) and i love the Black arc (do i really need to explain why) the only parts i hate of dbs are the Freeza arc (with the exception of eps 19, 21, 20, 27 and Tate's cut) and the Copy Vegeta arc.
But if i'm being fair, i think that both GT and super are pretty equal, both had an ok -good arc (i really enjoyed the black star arc when i was a little kid, if i don't do the same now is probably because i've already watched it a lot), a good arc, a terrible arc and a great arc. If i enjoy super more, it's probably because it's a new series after a long time and because, honestly, i love the new characters (Beerus, Whis, Vados, Hit......).

Super does have the potential to be better than GT in the future because it's going to have more episodes, but currently they are equal (even thought the Black arc is pretty much better than any other in GT, so far)
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:38 am

Noah wrote:Do people think that GT tries to be its own thing while Super is fanservice at most?
Both super and GT do this, super pretty much expanded the whole db universe and GT had original ideas as well, and both do have some fan service so.....
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:14 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:...when they first introduced the concept... did anyone hear that idea and not think "This sounds like a bad fanfic written by a 12-year-old"?
No, because I don't judge concepts based on who could have conceivably created them. I judge them based on how they're actually introduced, and how they play out.
I didn't either. I thought that it could be something interesting.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:44 am

I disagree. Super is absolutely ****ing terrible at explaining anything. Super never explained how or why Pilaf became kids. We never learned much more of this "Namekian Book of Legends." There was never any explanation given as to how Vegeta managed to attain god ki through simple training. There's no explanation as to why Goku's power is so inconsistent ever since he obtained god ki. Nothing stated about Trunks' random new form. Outside of the manga, we're not told that Kaioshin died during the Dabura battle.

And if Kaioshin and Hakaishin are linked, why isn't Beerus dead? Buu killed nearly ever Kaioshin, and it's revealed Beerus has been alive since Old Kai's time, so he should have kicked the bucket. What's that? Hakaishin are collectively linked to EVERY kaioshin? Well, guess what, that's never explained!

And when we are given explanations, they're terrible and half-assed, such as Gohan not be able to use his mystic form (and barely being able to go SSJ) because of lack of training or Tagoma becoming stronger than a SSJ by getting the crap beaten out of him for 4 months. As for that lovely kaioken explanation, it contradicts the fact that Goku mastered the SSJ form during the Cell saga, and we saw him combine SSJ and Kaioken during the Pikkon battle (idc if it's filler).

I don't recall a single moment in GT where things were left to air, besides the ending, which was intentional.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:11 pm

kinisking wrote:Super. The retellings weren't that bad. People just like to hate it for being a rehash. Looking back, even the ROF arc wasn't that bad. They messed up the Goku vs Freeza fight but it was better written than the movie.
Ok the ROF arc was pretty terrible
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:14 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Super never explained how or why Pilaf became kids.
We got a manga special chapter a while back with Pilaf, Shu and Mai becoming younger when #17 and #18 where attacking. It's likely the same in Goku's timeline, they probably wish be younger before #19 and Dr. Gero show up.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:39 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I don't recall a single moment in GT where things were left to air, besides the ending, which was intentional.
Super Saiyan 4 was never explained in the show. It just... happened. Plus, the Black Star Dragon Balls come out thin air with zero explanation. The lack of explanation of the Black Star Dragon Balls is the biggest offender, because that se of wish-granting MacGuffins single-handedly kick start the entire plot of the show. GT flat out doesn't happen if the Black Star Dragon Balls don't exist. So the entire concept of GT is essentially built on a plot hole, or at best, a major contrivance. Because how the hell does barely anybody, except for Popo, King Kai and for some reason the Pilaf Gang, which in itself is another plot hole, know that the Black Star Dragon Balls even exist?