Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:30 am

Vertical wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Then why is the manga the preferred way of viewing One Piece? And One Piece shares a lot more actors with Dragon Ball then just Mayumi Tanaka.
Gog wrote:Okay buttercup, lets be real here, the One piece manga is actually the preferred way of consuming the series. No Luffy voiced by krillin, or Yajirobe here. But in actuality the reason why people read one piece is because of the story. And the fanservice. So MUCH OF IT
Sorry for making a joke, guys. Lesson learned. I won't do it again. :(
Oh I'm sorry, just thought that you were being serious :? sorry about that

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:38 am

Vertical wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Then why is the manga the preferred way of viewing One Piece? And One Piece shares a lot more actors with Dragon Ball then just Mayumi Tanaka.
Gog wrote:Okay buttercup, lets be real here, the One piece manga is actually the preferred way of consuming the series. No Luffy voiced by krillin, or Yajirobe here. But in actuality the reason why people read one piece is because of the story. And the fanservice. So MUCH OF IT
Sarcasm is hard to convey through text. Seriously after the anime adaption of Dressrosa there is no doubt Manga>Anime.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:43 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Sarcasm is hard to convey through text. Seriously after the anime adaption of Dressrosa there is no doubt Manga>Anime.
Huh? What happened to make the anime worst than the manga? Was there to much filler, that's most likely the case then.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:46 am

Gog wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Vertical wrote:
Huh? What happened to make the anime worst than the manga? Was there to much filler, that's most likely the case then.
I dropped it a bit after 4th Gear. But awful animation for most parts, way too much filler when Dressrosa is an already long arc, and horrible pacing. But hey, 4th Gear's introduction was absolutely perfect. My best guess would be behind the duality was between Film Gold and the Goku Black Arc, Toei were just worked too thin.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 am

In terms of sales and popularity in Japan, yes.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 am

Vertical wrote:
Back in the 80's/90's, shifting large numbers of manga was vastly different and more difficult than it is today. With the age we live in, it's not surprising that something as popular as One Piece has outsold DB.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. There was no significant difference in how they sold the magazine and the volumes.

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:55 pm

I look at it like this, and as a heads up, I'm ignoring other franchises for simplicity. I would tend to agree that Pokemon is number one, but that's not really the topic.

For the general population, DB is above One Piece. Not even close. People use DB pictures all the time on twitter and stuff to set up jokes, about 10 million rappers mention it in their lyrics, and it's constantly in the public eye even if you don't really know what it is. There is a reason people gif Lebron and El Piojo turning Super Saiyan, and not (insert One Piece equivalent here. Never read/seen it).

For bigtime anime fans, it definitely seems that One Piece is far more popular. That shows in the sales numbers. But in terms of brand awareness? No contest if you ask me.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:51 pm

rereboy wrote:
Vertical wrote:Back in the 80's/90's, shifting large numbers of manga was vastly different and more difficult than it is today. With the age we live in, it's not surprising that something as popular as One Piece has outsold DB.
I have no idea what you are trying to say. There was no significant difference in how they sold the magazine and the volumes.
The internet makes a huge difference in marketing and distribution. Less reliance on "snail mail". Increased audience, and their accessibility. And that's not taking into account any actual internet sales... if those are even a thing.

You would also need to take into account cultural changes. Being an "otaku", or just an avid fan or manga/anime is far more acceptable now than it was 25+ years ago. It's almost glorified.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Vertical wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Vertical wrote:Back in the 80's/90's, shifting large numbers of manga was vastly different and more difficult than it is today. With the age we live in, it's not surprising that something as popular as One Piece has outsold DB.
The internet makes a huge difference in marketing and distribution. Less reliance on "snail mail". Increased audience, and their accessibility. And that's not taking into account any actual internet sales... if those are even a thing.

You would also need to take into account cultural changes. Being an "otaku", or just an avid fan or manga/anime is far more acceptable now than it was 25+ years ago. It's almost glorified.
I think you are grasping at straws, honestly. Mangas in general and Shonen Jump magazine didn't became more well-known in Japan from 1997 to 2005 than they were from 1984 to 1995. At least, not significantly.
Last edited by rereboy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:06 pm

One Piece is the bigger franchise now so its won on that end and given its massive length and big prominence, it'll probably be the Dragon Ball for a whole slew of generations going forward, serving as a template for many manga and anime to come. Which is a good thing since One Piece does a lot of things right but also bad because One Piece does fuck stuff up (the dark backstory is a perfect example of this, Sanji's history is so laughably over the top it feels like a parody now).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:35 pm

rereboy wrote:
Vertical wrote:
rereboy wrote: I have no idea what you are trying to say. There was no significant difference in how they sold the magazine and the volumes.

I think you are grasping at straws, honestly. Mangas in general and Shonen Jump magazine didn't became more well-known in Japan from 1997 to 2005 than they were from 1984 to 1995. At least, not significantly.
I'm not grasping at anything, just noting what needs to be taken into account... because it's not as clean cut as simply comparing sales, that's all.

That said, I'm also not trying to take away from One Piece's success. Domestically, it is incredibly successful and popular, surpassing Dragon Ball sales no matter what comparison is made or how it managed to do so or even how times have changed. Internationally, it's not the same monster Dragon Ball has managed to be... and, personally, I don't think it ever will be.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Vertical wrote: I'm not grasping at anything, just noting what needs to be taken into account... because it's not as clean cut as simply comparing sales, that's all.
When the question is which of the two has sold more taking into consideration the number of volumes (which was what I was responding to), it really is a matter of looking at the numbers.

You were trying to somehow "negate" those numbers by offering an abstract notion that, somehow, the business has changed significantly from 1984-1995 to 1997-2005 which simply isn't true.
That said, I'm also not trying to take away from One Piece's success. Domestically, it is incredibly successful and popular, surpassing Dragon Ball sales no matter what comparison is made or how it managed to do so or even how times have changed. Internationally, it's not the same monster Dragon Ball has managed to be... and, personally, I don't think it ever will be.
The sale numbers are worldwide, not just in Japan, even though most of the sales are from Japan. The Dragon Ball manga simply doesn't touch the One Piece manga in terms of sales. Period. If you want to argue about the franchise overall, namely in terms of recognition, go ahead, but that wasn't the point of my post anyway.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:One Piece is the bigger franchise now so its won on that end and given its massive length and big prominence, it'll probably be the Dragon Ball for a whole slew of generations going forward, serving as a template for many manga and anime to come. Which is a good thing since One Piece does a lot of things right but also bad because One Piece does fuck stuff up (the dark backstory is a perfect example of this, Sanji's history is so laughably over the top it feels like a parody now).
How is One Piece the bigger franchise? The only thing it has over Dragon Ball is episode count.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:One Piece is the bigger franchise now so its won on that end and given its massive length and big prominence, it'll probably be the Dragon Ball for a whole slew of generations going forward, serving as a template for many manga and anime to come. Which is a good thing since One Piece does a lot of things right but also bad because One Piece does fuck stuff up (the dark backstory is a perfect example of this, Sanji's history is so laughably over the top it feels like a parody now).
How is One Piece the bigger franchise? The only thing it has over Dragon Ball is episode count.
It's outsold Dragon Ball by a 100 million copies and that's outdated information from almost 2 years ago, that number is most certainly higher. Now, if Toriyama kept the manga going or launched a revival of it, I've no doubt Dragon Ball would kill it in the sales charts but One Piece has outsold it and will likely far eclipse it by the time it ends sometime around the heat death of the universe.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 pm

rereboy wrote:
Vertical wrote: I'm not grasping at anything, just noting what needs to be taken into account... because it's not as clean cut as simply comparing sales, that's all.
When the question is which of the two has sold more taking into consideration the number of volumes (which was what I was responding to), it really is a matter of looking at the numbers.

You were trying to somehow "negate" those numbers by offering an abstract notion that, somehow, the business has changed significantly from 1984-1995 to 1997-2005 which simply isn't true.
I was not trying to negate the numbers. I was expanding upon them because a number is never simply a number. Many things need to be taken into consideration when comparing sales of anything.

The impact of the internet and cultural changes from that era are undeniable, especially when talking in terms of international sales. But please do not take my raising of these points as me attempting to make excuses for Dragon Ball falling behind because I am not. Taking these points into account does not change the fact that Dragon Ball has been quite handily outsold... It simply gives one a fuller picture of the situation.
rereboy wrote:
Vertical wrote:That said, I'm also not trying to take away from One Piece's success. Domestically, it is incredibly successful and popular, surpassing Dragon Ball sales no matter what comparison is made or how it managed to do so or even how times have changed. Internationally, it's not the same monster Dragon Ball has managed to be... and, personally, I don't think it ever will be.
The sale numbers are worldwide, not just in Japan, even though most of the sales are from Japan. The Dragon Ball manga simply doesn't touch the One Piece manga in terms of sales. Period. If you want to argue about the franchise overall, namely in terms of recognition, go ahead, but that wasn't the point of my post anyway.
My "monster" comment was in regard to infamy and recognition. It was more a general comment in relation to the topic at hand.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
It's outsold Dragon Ball by a 100 million copies and that's outdated information from almost 2 years ago, that number is most certainly higher. Now, if Toriyama kept the manga going or launched a revival of it, I've no doubt Dragon Ball would kill it in the sales charts but One Piece has outsold it and will likely far eclipse it by the time it ends sometime around the heat death of the universe.
That really doesn't equate to being a bigger franchise since your talking about in terms of manga sales. Dragon Ball has spawned numerous toy lines, games, and apps so has One Piece, but DB more so. With also having far more worldwide recognition and popularity, Toei is setting up Dragon Ball just to expand the brand even further. It's practically all ready mainstream, for a time it was #1 selling TV show on Xbox and among the Top 5 (or # 1) on Hulu's Top watched shows can't really remember correctly. Right now it's doing better than One Piece in merchandise sales, the manga really isn't the main product anymore. For example, One Piece has a lot more comic book sales than a lot of comic characters, but there still far more poplular. I'm pretty sure One Piece manga sales are close to number of Batman comics sold, but as well know Batman is the far bigger franchise.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:That really doesn't equate to being a bigger franchise since your talking about in terms of manga sales. Dragon Ball has spawned numerous toy lines, games, and apps so has One Piece, but DB more so. With also having far more worldwide recognition and popularity, Toei is setting up Dragon Ball just to expand the brand even further. It's practically all ready mainstream, for a time it was #1 selling TV show on Xbox and among the Top 5 (or # 1) on Hulu's Top watched shows can't really remember correctly. Right now it's doing better than One Piece in merchandise sales, the manga really isn't the main product anymore. For example, One Piece has a lot more comic book sales than a lot of comic characters, but there still far more poplular. I'm pretty sure One Piece manga sales are close to number of Batman comics sold, but as well know Batman is the far bigger franchise.
Then I worded it poorly, One Piece has stomped Dragon Ball in manga sales but you're right in that Super has caused a resurgence of merchandising.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 pm

One Piece is the king in Japan but DB is still VERY popular there, easily in the top 5 most popular franchises.

Internationally though, DB is still and always will be king, If 4kids didn't dub one piece before funimation and if Naruto didn't go into filler hell for 80+ episodes after the 1st fight with Sasuke then maybe things would've been different.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Well, talking about success around the world, DB is still bigger, and the biggest reason of that is probably the Latin/South American market. One Piece was initially dubbed into latin american spanish and brazilian portuguese in the 4Kids version, and because of that was a big failure in those countries ... and, until today, 2017, One Piece was not redubbed without censorship into mexican spanish and brazilian portuguese, while that happened in US(with Funimation), India and a few other countries that broadcasted the 4Kids version first.

About other markets, like Europe or Asia, One Piece is very big. Not so much as Dragon Ball maybe, but as Naruto at least.

And well, just for clarify, I'm talking about the anime of One Piece only. The manga at least has very good sells in Brazil, but I don't know about the manga in the hispanic-speaking american countries.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:22 pm

In Japan but the rest of the world cares about DB more. At least in the US. Dragonball has also had a more lasting impact in pop culture. We also don't know if one piece will maintain popularity after it ends in the same way Dragonball has either. I don't know why everyone's comparing manga sales only considering there are so many other factors to popularity.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.