A very important 10 year anniversary just passed (and your opinion on it)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A very important 10 year anniversary just passed (and your opinion on it)

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:I usually say "those are good points you make" but I won't because there's no explanation in your response :P

Please provide an explanation so I can say this and respond back.
It's hard for me to provide specific counter-examples, since they're vast, but Criterion was in the business of releasing high-quality remastered films in on laser disc in the '90s, and by the early 2000s, when DVDs were becoming more widely adopted, noting that a film release had been "digitally remastered" was a viable marketing tactic for large studios. I put that in quotes not to disparage their remastering efforts, but to note that those words themselves had enough clout with consumers to help push a new release.

FUNimation was 100% following a marketing trend with the their orange brick releases, rather than starting one.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Yeah, I think the only influence FUNimation had in the "Remastering" branding, if at all, was producing legions of misinformed fans who conflate "remastered" with "enhanced" and think all of they have to do is take something, crop it to 16:9 and toss a mishmash of crappy filters onto it, and BAM, "HD remastered" footage to put up on YouTube!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:09 pm

Cipher wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:I usually say "those are good points you make" but I won't because there's no explanation in your response :P

It's hard for me to provide specific counter-examples, since they're vast, but Criterion was in the business of releasing high-quality remastered films in on laser disc in the '90s, and by the early 2000s, when DVDs were becoming more widely adopted, noting that a film release had been "digitally remastered" was a viable marketing tactic for large studios. I put that in quotes not to disparage their remastering efforts, but to note that those words themselves had enough clout with consumers to help push a new release.

FUNimation was 100% following a marketing trend with the their orange brick releases, rather than starting one.
I do believe you are making very good points but I meant FUNimation literally spammed the word "remaster" at our face 24/7 haha and as a 9 year-old at the time it was the first time I heard the word remaster. But now you hear the "remaster" 48/14 XD like the other day I was on the bus and I heard a boy say to his friend "I'm going to get the Call of Duty pack" and his friend said "why? it's 60 pounds" and he said "it's got the game remastered" and I was shocked because he knew the word remastered and wasn't a DBZ fan like me. Maybe he was a DBZ fan I'm not sure.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:I do believe you are making very good points but I meant FUNimation literally spammed the word "remaster" at our face 24/7 haha and as a 9 year-old at the time it was the first time I heard the word remaster. But now you hear the "remaster" 48/14 XD like the other day I was on the bus and I heard a boy say to his friend "I'm going to get the Call of Duty pack" and his friend said "why? it's 60 pounds" and he said "it's got the game remastered" and I was shocked because he knew the word remastered and wasn't a DBZ fan like me. Maybe he was a DBZ fan I'm not sure.
I'm going to assume this is an age thing. As someone who was older than nine in 2007 and more aware of media releases, "remaster" was already frequently heard.
jjgp1112 wrote:Yeah, I think the only influence FUNimation had in the "Remastering" branding, if at all, was producing legions of misinformed fans who conflate "remastered" with "enhanced" and think all of they have to do is take something, crop it to 16:9 and toss a mishmash of crappy filters onto it, and BAM, "HD remastered" footage to put up on YouTube!
I mean, technically, if you take the footage from an analogue source, apply those processes to it, and produce a new digital master with those edits, you have "digitally remastered" it.

It just shouldn't be anyone's idea of good.

But yes, as noted in my earlier posts, I do regret that FUNimation's marketing lead to continued misunderstanding about what remastered or even high-definition footage is.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:
Cipher wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:Quite frankly, I think the Dragon Ball Z orange bricks are uncredited pioneers. How many other TV Shows/movies/animes were "remastered" before FUNimation kept throwing around "DORAGON BORRU ZETTOO REEMASUTARUDOO" XD haha

Nowadays "remastered" is a household name...
This is ... not accurate.
I usually say "those are good points you make" but I won't because there's no explanation in your response :P

Nothing you said or implied was true. The Orange Bricks weren't pioneers, remastering was a thing before they came around, and most people still don't know what "remastered" actually means, even if they know the word exists. It definitely didn't pioneer remastering methods. Everything you claimed is just wrong.
Retired.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:
Cipher wrote: This is ... not accurate.
I usually say "those are good points you make" but I won't because there's no explanation in your response :P

Nothing you said or implied was true. The Orange Bricks weren't pioneers, remastering was a thing before they came around, and most people still don't know what "remastered" actually means, even if they know the word exists. It definitely didn't pioneer remastering methods. Everything you claimed is just wrong.
Jinzoningen I don't understand what you are saying. I did NOT say FUNimaiton invented remastering *scratch my head*

I said FUNimation were pioneers in releasing remastered content. Okay yes my friend Cipher has told me about movies and laserdiscs. But, when it comes to animes. FUNimation wenr over the top with advertising DBZ as being "remastered" that little did they know they were actually just advertising the word "remastered". The word "remaster" has the word "master" in if you don't know that "master" just refers to "final output" then you think WOW they are doing really skilled "master" level techniques.

Can you give me your definition of the word "remaster" please? Don't google :P

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:I did NOT say FUNimation invented remastering *scratch my head*
You implied that they were the ones who made the word known, it's not the case. The Orange Bricks had no impact on the knowledge or process of remastering
MarcBigleague wrote:Can you give me your definition of the word "remaster" please? Don't google :P
In the context of film, to restore it to a more original and/or more perfect state. That's the ideal, anyway.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In the context of film, to restore it to a more original and/or more perfect state. That's the ideal, anyway.
It's actually, strictly, just the process of producing a new master, with whatever alterations (usually moves toward visual clarity or restorations, but not always), rather than producing a generational copy.

In the early days of digital media, "digitally remastered" was thrown around quite often to specify that it wasn't simply VHS footage or material used in previous releases recorded onto a laser disc or DVD, but footage that had been transferred to a digital medium and cleaned up and optimized specifically to take advantage of the new format.

FUNimation was actually hilariously late to the party promoting that phrase as heavily as they did (their first trailers for the orange bricks hailed quality that "you can only get from DVD," which was embarrassing even at the time), but it was, to be fair, the first time they'd tampered with their masters specifically for a new release.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 pm

Cipher wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:In the context of film, to restore it to a more original and/or more perfect state. That's the ideal, anyway.
It's actually, strictly, just the process of producing a new master, with whatever alterations (usually moves toward visual clarity or restorations, but not always), rather than producing a generational copy.
I was more referring to the colloquial use. But technically, yes, it's just making a new master.
Retired.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:n the context of film, to restore it to a more original and/or more perfect state. That's the ideal, anyway.
Haha no.

Basically, "master" just refers to "final output" as I said. So to "remaster" is to modify the final output so that there is a new appearance to the final output. So even though I was 9 when i first heard it, I learned quickly what it means xD

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:03 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:to "remaster" is to modify the final output so that there is a new appearance to the final output.
Like I explained just 5 minutes ago, before you even responded, I was describing the colloquial use. Even so, what you described here doesn't contradict what I said, it just covers a larger scope, and quite frankly, a useless one. No one markets something as "remastered" unless it's referring to the description I gave.

Not that it ever pertains to the point, the Orange Bricks still didn't pioneer it by any stretch of the imagination. It's a ridiculous notion, quite frankly.
Retired.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:to "remaster" is to modify the final output so that there is a new appearance to the final output.
Like I explained just 5 minutes ago, before you even responded, I was describing the colloquial use. Even so, what you described here doesn't contradict what I said, it just covers a larger scope, and quite frankly, a useless one. No one markets something as "remastered" unless it's referring to the description I gave.

Not that it ever pertains to the point, the Orange Bricks still didn't pioneer it by any stretch of the imagination. It's a ridiculous notion, quite frankly.
Hahaha you defined it in response to my request and my request was for you to define "remastering" xD

When defining a word, the more definitiont he better is what I always say :P

So you're telling me that FUNimation throwing the word "remaster" left and right for one of the most established and groundbreaking series of all time (read in Chris Sabat voice - sounds epic haha) doesn't help create exposure for the process of "remastering" and releasing old animé/tv shows?? Now this is what I would not call a very good point but, rather, a ridiculous notion, instead.

edit: by the way how comes your Pilaf is a different colour to my Pilaf-sama? I'm assuming Toriyama didn't intend him to be blue but it's Toei Animation and their crazy rebellious antics again haha *rolls eyes*

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:So you're telling me that FUNimation throwing the word "remaster" left and right for one of the most established and groundbreaking series of all time (read in Chris Sabat voice - sounds epic haha) doesn't help create exposure for the process of "remastering" old animé/tv shows?? Now this is what I would not call a vey good point but, rather, a ridiculous notion, instead.
I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of Dragon Ball in 2007. Companies were using that buzz-word before the Orange Bricks ever came along. What's a bit odd is that you think Dragon Ball was influential to a point where a heavily-pushed release birthed a new marketing buzz-word into existence despite not being the first or most popular to use it. Was it so influential that it transcended time and space, creating a paradox where it created a phrase before it actually existed? It would be like claiming that the Orange Bricks ushered in the era of DVD home releases, despite the fact that it wasn't the first or most popular home release on DVD.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm

FUNimation did not popularize the term "remastered."

Source: I was alive in 2007 and not nine years old.

Other sources: Disney has a line of touted digitally remastered releases, advertised as such, dating back to 2001. Criterion had long been in the business of releasing remastered films advertised as such. The Wikipedia article for "remastering," which I read because of this ridiculous debate, cites controversy concerning multiple mainstream remastered releases, advertised as such, dating back to the early 2000s.

Using the phrase "digitally remastered" to sell a product has been as popular as long as DVDs have been around, and would have been a term regularly applied to releases for niche formats like laser disc well before that.

I cannot stress enough that FUNimation was late to the party selling their product that way. They banked on that phrase, going so far as to give it almost as much real estate as the logo on the cover of the sets themselves, because it had been proven to move copies and imply something about the quality of the material to consumers. They weren't taking a risk on a new, bold marketing campaign. That's absurd.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:So you're telling me that FUNimation throwing the word "remaster" left and right for one of the most established and groundbreaking series of all time (read in Chris Sabat voice - sounds epic haha) doesn't help create exposure for the process of "remastering" old animé/tv shows?? Now this is what I would not call a vey good point but, rather, a ridiculous notion, instead.
I think you're vastly overestimating the popularity of Dragon Ball in 2007. Companies were using that buzz-word before the Orange Bricks ever came along. What's a bit odd is that you think Dragon Ball was influential to a point where a heavily-pushed release not only birthed a new marketing buzz-word into existence despite not being the first or most popular to use it. It would be like claiming that the Orange Bricks ushered in the era of DVD home releases, despite the fact that it wasn't the first or most popular home release on DVD.
WOW

How? Jinzoningen your analogy is flawed and ridiculous! (I know I sound mean for using ridiculous but I am genuinely confused and upset, i'm sorry)

FUNimation didn't say 100 times "Buy the most astonishing Japanese anime of all time on DVD". "This is Dragon Ball Z on DVD, the way it was meant to be seen." They didn't say "The show has been painstakingly burned to DVD for the first time ever." But they DID say stuff similar to that level of advertisement about "remastering" process. So how is what I am saying about them promoting the word "remastered" similar to me saying that they ushered in the DVD era with orange bricks? :crazy:

And Dragon Ball is very popular actually. I once read it has 60,000,000 fans. But this is around the same time of my old story when i was 9 years old so don't ask me for a link to the source of that information.

edit: Also, I don't want to become Kanzenshuu dictionary xD But I think I should define stuff here. "Pioneer" does not equal "inventor". Both you and my friend Cipher are acting as if I am sayign FUNimation invented the term...smh.
Last edited by MarcBigleague on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Cipher wrote:FUNimation did not popularize the term "remastered."

Source: I was alive in 2007 and not nine years old.
An even better source, I own DVD's older than 10 years with the tagline on the cover "Digitally Remastered!" or some variation.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:An even better source, I own DVD's older than 10 years with the tagline on the cover "Digitally Remastered!" or some variation.
Yeah, but did those DVDs popularize it by selling the most billionest copies ever?

I don't think so.
MarcBigleague wrote:Both you and my friend Cipher are acting as if I am sayign FUNimation invented the term...smh.
I'm not sure what else to take from your posts except the idea that FUNimation's DVD line popularized the phrase and led to its prominence as a marketing tactic, which is just not the case.

Edit -- That first part was sarcasm.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarcBigleague
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MarcBigleague » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Cipher wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:An even better source, I own DVD's older than 10 years with the tagline on the cover "Digitally Remastered!" or some variation.
Yeah, but did those DVDs popularize it by selling the most billionest copies ever?

I don't think so.
Exactly.

edit: This is why I called you friend, Cipher XD

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 pm

MarcBigleague wrote:How? Jinzoningen your analogy is flawed and ridiculous!
The analogy wasn't even the crux of my point, it was just demonstrating the problem with what you're saying, since you seem to be having a hard time understanding.
MarcBigleague wrote:And Dragon Ball is very popular actually.
Yeah, but it's far from the most popular. In fact, it's far from even being mainstream.
MarcBigleague wrote:Both you and my friend Cipher are acting as if I am sayign FUNimation invented the term.
No one thinks you're saying that. However, you are saying that they popularized it, which is factually untrue if you believe in the concept of linear time.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MarcBigleague wrote:And Dragon Ball is very popular actually.
Yeah, but it's far from the most popular. In fact, it's far from even being mainstream.
If it's not then it's the closest anime will ever get to being mainstream.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.