Shouldn't Vegetto have had armor?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Shouldn't Vegetto have had armor?

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 pm

Who says the color is based on what the two characters are currently wearing? It's magic. The colors are chosen based on what they like.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Gogeta & Gotenks always look the same no matter what they happen to be wearing so we know Metamor fusion has a pre-determined clothes setting. Potara fusion seems to resemble the general outfit of Goku & Xeno Goku just with different coloring, I guess that means it takes on the the outfit of the 'superior' fusee with whatever alternate coloring that the 'inferior' fusee happens to wearing.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:55 pmNo matter how you try to justify something, this is usually the conclusion you end up with. I really hope once Super returns it'll stop being so inconsistent. I understand with a story as long as DB's you're going to eventually end up with some things that don't line up, but Super is just ridicules. Like many of its inconsistencies, a very simple change could've prevented this one. Instead of breaking off part of Vegeta's armor, they should've just broken it off completely, resulting in him looking closer to his Buu arc self.
Yeah, but I think the first problem is thinking about making Vegetto to look closer to his Majin Buu saga self. Since Potara merges clothes and we're gonna bring the character back, let's play with that. Goku and Vegeta should have kept their Movie 15's outfits to begin with. And despite what Baggie_Saiyan said in the previous page, I don't think there shouldn't be a problem coming up with a new design, you just need to stick to your own logic that you established yourself.
Well, thankfully, Dragon Ball Heroes already showed how Vegetto looks like with the Movie 15's outfit.
theherodjl wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:50 pmI guess that means it takes on the the outfit of the 'superior' fusee with whatever alternate coloring that the 'inferior' fusee happens to wearing.
And can you possibly tell me who are the "superior" and "inferior" fusees? What determines that? Merged Zamasu takes Zamasu's outfit and Goku Black's color scheme, but who's to say it couldn't be the other way around?

Alright, this chat is making me want to analyze more about Potara and its clothing pattern. Let's get to it:

Xeno Vegenks is an interesting one. He retains Xeno Vegeta's gloves and boots, and for the first time his armor is there. And what's curious is that the cloaks come from Xeno Trunks. I think we have a truly combination of clothing here. The colors are a big whatever because both of them are wearing black anyway.

Kafla also "breaks" (?) "this rule" (?) of just wearing the clothes of one fusee and taking the colors of the other one. Judging by her shirt and boots, I think I am to assume that Kafla is supposed to wear Kale's outfit with Caulifla's color scheme, so why are Kafla's pants pink instead of purple? And where the hell do those thin pants come from!?

It's interesting to note that in the manga, Gotan retains not only Goku's clothes but his colors too, yet, strangely enough, he wears Mister Satan's boots. This was properly corrected in the anime, though.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:20 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:59 pmGoku and Vegeta should have kept their Movie 15's outfits to begin with. I don't think there shouldn't be a problem coming up with a new design, you just need to stick to your own logic that you established yourself.
I fully agree with both. What I'm saying is that if they wanted to insist on keeping the "classic" designs" around, they could've simply had Zamasu blast Vegeta's armor off to avoid Vegetto showing up without one being an inconsistency.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:09 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:59 pmAnd can you possibly tell me who are the "superior" and "inferior" fusees? What determines that? Merged Zamasu takes Zamasu's outfit and Goku Black's color scheme, but who's to say it couldn't be the other way around?

Alright, this chat is making me want to analyze more about Potara and its clothing pattern. Let's get to it:

Xeno Vegenks is an interesting one. He retains Xeno Vegeta's gloves and boots, and for the first time his armor is there. And what's curious is that the cloaks come from Xeno Trunks. I think we have a truly combination of clothing here. The colors are a big whatever because both of them are wearing black anyway.

Kafla also "breaks" (?) "this rule" (?) of just wearing the clothes of one fusee and taking the colors of the other one. Judging by her shirt and boots, I think I am to assume that Kafla is supposed to wear Kale's outfit with Caulifla's color scheme, so why are Kafla's pants pink instead of purple? And where the hell do those thin pants come from!?

It's interesting to note that in the manga, Gotan retains not only Goku's clothes but his colors too, yet, strangely enough, he wears Mister Satan's boots. This was properly corrected in the anime, though.
I can't really explain other Potara fusions since they toss out whatever clothing "rule" that Vegetto might have. However, we can assume that Goku is the 'superior' fusee since he usually is the first one to break down the walls that limit them, that he's "pure of heart"(whether that stands to a significant degree anymore), and possibly that Goku might just have more potential than Vegeta. While I wouldn't discount that Vegeta could bridge these points, Goku might still be ahead because he did them first. The Potara might just be logical(or alphabetical :D) regarding the choice of Goku & Vegeta.

darkclaw89

Post by darkclaw89 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 am

My opinion is that this is getting too deep into something that wasn't considered too deeply by the artists. With DB, things are often fairly simple - no need to complicate it by overthinking (the artists certainly didn't). Fusion is simply the combination of 2 characters. The way that combination of traits happens is very subjective to the artist, and not "scientific". My opinion is that they try to make it equal, but that readers/viewers will always vary in how they perceive it.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:23 pm

probably in the manga yes

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:33 pm

darkclaw89 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 amMy opinion is that this is getting too deep into something that wasn't considered too deeply by the artists. With DB, things are often fairly simple - no need to complicate it by overthinking.
We're not overthinking anything, we just expect consistency in writing. Being unable to follow basic logic established in their story is just lazy writing, and fans have every right to call them out on it. I have no idea why some keep trying to justify their incompetence when they'd be the first to call out other writers for less.

darkclaw89

Post by darkclaw89 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:44 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:33 pm
darkclaw89 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 amMy opinion is that this is getting too deep into something that wasn't considered too deeply by the artists. With DB, things are often fairly simple - no need to complicate it by overthinking.
We're not overthinking anything, we just expect consistency in writing. Being unable to follow basic logic established in their story is just lazy writing, and fans have every right to call them out on it. I have no idea why some keep trying to justify their incompetence when they'd be the first to call out other writers for less.
Maybe I should clarify - I want consistency in writing too! I think we're on the same page. Since we don't have consistency, I personally don't think I'll get much out of trying to jam what we have into logical head canons (aka. the consistency we never got). But don't let my "bah-hambug-ing" stop you, I know it's fun to discuss!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:02 am

Jeez there is no inconsistency or lazy writing. Of all the things to complain about how are people still complaining about Vegetto not having armour in DBS.

Right.

1. Has it ever occurred to people that Vegetto's gi is just Goku's inverted with Vegeta's gloves and boots? Meaning Vegeta having or not having armour is irreverent.

2. There was NO LORE established for Portara clothing so how can it be "inconsistent"? Like someone else said it is magic, two beings fusing into one is pretty nonsensical but apparently clothing is the thing that is too much to suspend disbelief for...

3. If we are hung up about Vegetto not having armour then we should start to question the way he looks, why is his hair the way it is looks and where does the two bangs from? But Vegetto not having armour in DBS that is the real issue we have to get to the bottom off though... :roll:

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:47 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:02 am Jeez there is no inconsistency or lazy writing. Of all the things to complain about how are people still complaining about Vegetto not having armour in DBS.

Right.

1. Has it ever occurred to people that Vegetto's gi is just Goku's inverted with Vegeta's gloves and boots? Meaning Vegeta having or not having armour is irreverent.

2. There was NO LORE established for Portara clothing so how can it be "inconsistent"? Like someone else said it is magic, two beings fusing into one is pretty nonsensical but apparently clothing is the thing that is too much to suspend disbelief for...

3. If we are hung up about Vegetto not having armour then we should start to question the way he looks, why is his hair the way it is looks and where does the two bangs from? But Vegetto not having armour in DBS that is the real issue we have to get to the bottom off though... :roll:
THANKS YOU. i don't know why people assumes the armor have to be there. The fact that they called lazy writing something that has nothing to do with writing but more with charadesign ...

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Actually, it makes sense. Also, there's this guy:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see any change in his clothes comparing with before the fusion.

EDIT - hehe, back in DBZ their clothes are damaged too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKyX-mhmEas

That's only in the anime, though.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:44 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm Actually, it makes sense. Also, there's this guy:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see any change in his clothes comparing with before the fusion.
Silly comparison. The manga did not show us the immediate result of the merger between Old Kaioshin and the witch, so he might as well have made himself some new clothes after being given his original merged outfit and then never changed.
Maybe the anime showed us the immediate result in the flashback, but I can't recall.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:00 pm

No, the anime didn't show anything. And I thought about Kaioshin making new (old) clothes, I think that's possible but we don't really know.