Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 am

I also like Strait as General Blue. (Note: I'm going by just his performance in Sparking Meteor, as I haven't seen most of the DB anime)

He keeps him amusing and over-the-top, and of all the characters in the DB franchise, Blue is one of the ones who most SHOULD be portrayed as over-the-top, but he never forgets to keep that edge of true, dangerous threat.
Trunks & Goten forever

Dark Vegeta-Sama
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dark Vegeta-Sama » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:14 pm

With the possible exception of Dameon Clarke's Cell (horrible dialogue aside), none of FUNimation's voice actors ever really "matched" the originals in any way.

I'm particularly weary of how many of you are praising Stephanie Nadolny; her Gohan/Goku voice is so fucking terrible and raspy it makes me want to take a life.

And Chris Rager? Good God.

On the other hand, though it doesn't really sound much like the original, I always found Eric (Johnson) Vale's Trunks to be pretty good. He got the character down fairly well.

Also, props go out to Sonny Strait for voicing Bardock. His Krillin is horrible, but his Bardock is awesome. Very well done (again, horrible dialogue aside).

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:43 pm

Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:I'm particularly weary of how many of you are praising Stephanie Nadolny; her Gohan/Goku voice is so fucking terrible and raspy it makes me want to take a life.
*Murders you*

For Gohan, yes. But for Goku, hell no, that ain't even close to being raspy.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Dark Vegeta-Sama wrote:I'm particularly weary of how many of you are praising Stephanie Nadolny; her Gohan/Goku voice is so fucking terrible and raspy it makes me want to take a life.
*Murders you*

For Gohan, yes. But for Goku, hell no, that ain't even close to being raspy.
Well, GT kid Goku sounds... Hmm... odd in some cases. But so does the rest of "Step into the grand tour, bitches!"... :cry:
(Tehehe. I like how you gave a reason for disliking Stephanie Nedolny, but not for Criss Rager. :P ).

Neah, I recall hearing Nedolny's Gohan from the redub of the saiyan saga (On CN, mind you) when he was out in thewildat camp Piccolo. O_O I don't remember liking it... although I remember being surprised by how Gohan sounded on the first UUE episode (but still...).

I'll agree with Lemmy (whose name I spontaneously forgot how to spell... :shock: ) that hearing dub Goten for the first time is what drew me in to the character. (Something about Japanese Chibi Trunks reminds me of a drugdealer... :? ; I got that from the cutscenes in UB22, mind you; Ur, and to a small degree, Super Butoden3.)
I still haven't seen movie10 dubbed; the combination of original Goten and Trunks with "ZOMPanda that's where all those crappy soundclips from the internet came from~!" (ur, and that I could understand more of the dialogue than usual, so wasn't particularly lost) made the dub unnecessary for me.
(Though, I kinda want to watch it just for comparison's sake, or something. Actually, this has sort of made me want to track down a functioning copy of movie11... :D ).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:50 pm

caejones wrote:Well, GT kid Goku sounds... Hmm... odd in some cases.
I know exactly what it is. In the original, when we heard Goku, it was sorta like reliving Dragon Ball. We got a young, naive Son Goku again. He has his moments where he proves he's actually an adult in a kid's body, but he's still the very same, lil' Son Goku we all came to know and love.

Whereas dub GT Goku just runs this whole child superhero kind of persona and makes him constantly act like he mentally grew up.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Any idea who is the voice director for FUNi DB/Z/GT? I'd love to have a *polite* discussion with them/it regarding how they make these pretty good actors mess up the characters. And in all honesty, it is not the actors fault, it's you know who.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:40 pm

If I recall correctly, Mr. Sabat was in charge of Z. Hence why he also took on so many roles when it was originally just a small cast.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 pm

It's a fair shake different from Masako Nozawa; ain't no question there. But from a dub point of view, I think she excels with both characters. Particularly with Gohan-- despite that he ain't even my favorite of Nadolny's lot-- she displays an amazing range that most reasonably conveys everything from the innocent laughter of a child to a very hard SSJ2.
Dark Vegeta-Sama next wrote:And Chris Rager? Good God.
Okay, shoot. What's your reasoning on that one?
Dark Vegeta-Sama then wrote:On the other hand, though it doesn't really sound much like the original, I always found Eric (Johnson) Vale's Trunks to be pretty good. He got the character down fairly well.
I hear a lot of conflicting opinions on this. There's someone like you who says that Vale handled him well, while in another thread I recall someone saying that dub Trunks sounds like vomit. :?
Dark Vegeta-Sama finally wrote:Also, props go out to Sonny Strait for voicing Bardock. His Krillin is horrible, but his Bardock is awesome. Very well done (again, horrible dialogue aside).
They really did stick him with some gawdawful dialogue, huh? Still, I'm glad that Strait got to do something other than Kuririn and display his range-- he's a good Bardock. And he's gotten way better thanks to resurrecting the voice for the Budokai and Sparking! series. I would have loved for an actual redub of the Bardock Special with Strait making a return to retooled dialogue. And if they'd kept the original ending, that would have kicked so much ass.
DBHighDefinition wrote:For Gohan, yes. But for Goku, hell no, that ain't even close to being raspy.
Agreed.

Hell, I don't think that even Gohan's all that raspy. You want raspy? Check out the fandub of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans-- that's a raspy fucking Gohan. :D
caejones wrote:I'll agree with Lemmy (whose name I spontaneously forgot how to spell... :shock: ) that hearing dub Goten for the first time is what drew me in to the character. (Something about Japanese Chibi Trunks reminds me of a drugdealer... :?
You forgot how to spell . . . my name? But it ain't even a difficult name. WTF?! :shock:

I don't know that Trunks give off a drug dealer vibe. I will say, though, that vocally? There's just something about Takeshi Kusao that makes Trunks sound . . . well, like he's not a kid.

I don't know what it is, and maybe it's just me. It's very strange either way.
Tsukento wrote:Whereas dub GT Goku just runs this whole child superhero kind of persona and makes him constantly act like he mentally grew up.
Eh. I dunno if I'd go that far. Nadolny did play it off a bit like Goku was smarter than he outta be, but even in the dub he did still have his clueless moments. Plenty of them, in fact.
Tsukento then wrote:If I recall correctly, Mr. Sabat was in charge of Z. Hence why he also took on so many roles when it was originally just a small cast.
Sabat was an assistant ADR up until the Boo arc, after which he took over as full director.

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Tsukento wrote:If I recall correctly, Mr. Sabat was in charge of Z. Hence why he also took on so many roles when it was originally just a small cast.
*Shakes fists at Chris Sabat*

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:02 pm

According to AnimeNewsNetwork, these are the folks who were in charge of Z's voice direction:

Barry Watson
Chris Cason (Season 1 & 2 FUNimation Re-Dub)
Christopher R. Sabat (Kid Buu Saga Eps 261 - 276)
Chuck Huber (Season 1, FUNimation Re-Dub)
Denise Logan (Kid Buu Saga Eps 261 - 276)
Kent Williams (Season 1 & 2 FUNimation Re-Dub)
Mike McFarland (Kid Buu Saga Eps 261 - 276)

Since nothing prior to Kid Buu or after Seasons 1 and 2 are mentioned, I can only assume Mr. Watson is the main culprit whereas Mr. Sabat was an assistant during that time.

Mr. Watson was also in charge of GT along with Christopher Bevins, but it seems Justin Cook was alone with Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Tsukento on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 pm

Tsukento wrote:Since nothing prior to Kid Buu or after Seasons 1 and 2 are mentioned, I can only assume Mr. Watson is the main culprit whereas Mr. Sabat was an assistant during that time.
I . . . I said that, though . . . :(

~Da Lemmy
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:06 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I . . . I said that, though . . . :(

~Da Lemmy
Just adding on to whatcha said, not ignoring it. :(

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Tsukento wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:I . . . I said that, though . . . :(

~Da Lemmy
Just adding on to whatcha said, not ignoring it. :(
Wait, hold up.

I didn't know what he was director for the Kid Buu episodes only. WTF?! That's really strange, because I can remember him being credited "Director" as early as Majin Boo's hatching-- I'll hafta run and check my DVDs, now.

~Da Lemmy

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Tsukento wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:I find his Ocean/Blue Water voice more tolerable...
Terry's Krillin is unbearable in the Canadian/European dub of the rest of the series. He suddenly forgot how to make Krillin sound normal instead of goofy all the damn time.
So too does Funi's Krillin,,, but at least Terry's version of him doesn't have that stupid, idiotic and always constipated sounding tone that Sonny gives him.
Just Saiyan...

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Don't you mean that the other way around? I always thought it was Terry's Kuririn who sounded annoyingly constipated. :shock:

~Da Lemmy

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Klassen's the one with the really wimpy voice. At least once Strait hit his stride his Kuririn could still sound like a man.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Not as much to me. Sonny's always gives Krillin this somewhat grunty sounding voice - like he contently needs to shit a brick...
Just Saiyan...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:14 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:Not as much to me. Sonny's always gives Krillin this somewhat grunty sounding voice - like he contently needs to shit a brick...
And Ms. Tanaka sounds like a girl. 8)

These are the Days of Our Lives...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:17 pm

What's your point? :? :? :?
Just Saiyan...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 pm

Why must it match the original? Acting means making a character your own and not just matching. Look at foreign dubs of American cartoons and newer American cartoons voiced by new actors because of the originals passing on. Don't sound exactly like said original.