Wow, Cell made a appearance in Spider-man 3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I didn't like a lot of the character based stuff, but I found the movie entertaining enough to not dislike it.

And I still look forward to the 4th movie no end. I don't see the reason to turn my back on a good movie franchise after one movie that was less than brilliant.
Same here. I loved the first 2. The 3rd was a let down for me, but I'd still love to see a 4th.

The 3rd just felt like even the writers didn't know what direction it wanted to go in. I've heard rumors that the director didn't want Venom to be in it and he was shoehorned in, which would explain why he was used so poorly. And Sandman was just...boring, if you ask me. I just can't find anything redeeming about the movie other than it entertained me enough to sit through it once, and that's not saying much because I never walk out of a theater and have sat through much worse.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:09 am

Go a few years back in comics and read the saga of the dark suit or whatever it was called. Then tell me if "Dark Peter" acts like that.

Even in the 80's cartoons, I remember him lifting half a building ready to chuck it at Tombstone and end is misery for good.
Tombstone: "You can't do that! You're one of the good guys!"
Spidey: "Can't I? Just watch me!"

I don't remember what happened next, but in the end he didn't actually throw the half building.

The symbiont is supposed to make him lose all inhibitions and not take shit from anyone, and when someone gives him shit he goes all berserk and nearly kills whoever it is.

I sure don't remember it turning him into an emo looking, "cool" acting, no talent ass clown.

And by the way, Peter is the shy guy who looks a bit nerdish, I think he qualifies more as a shy guy then a nerd. Bruce Banner is the flat out emperor nerdmeister, I don't see that in the movies either.
Last edited by DNA on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:12 am

It's not a rumor. Sam Raimi and his team originally vouched for Ben Kingsley as The Vulture; Venom took that character's place. Venom was poorly handled in the film due to an overstuffed and confused plot, and Sam Raimi's absent passion in bringing a character like Venom to life on the big screens. Twas' a financial success at the very least, solidifying the movie franchise' continuation. I for one, am extremely looking forward to how 4 (and 5?) will play out. Not to mention it's incredible that Maguire, and Raimi are practically back on board for the sequel.

Anywho, this is a Dragonball board right? :lol:

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:15 am

Snail wrote:It's not a rumor. Sam Raimi and his team originally vouched for Ben Kingsley as The Vulture; Venom took that character's place.
Vulture would be so much of a better character for this type of movie. And it would lead for a demand for the next movie to conclude the dark uniform storyline and bring out Venom.

Plus, the guy who played Venom in this movie looks more like Carnage. Lame.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:21 am

DNA wrote:
Vulture would be so much of a better character for this type of movie. And it would lead for a demand for the next movie to conclude the dark uniform storyline and bring out Venom.
My thoughts exactly. However, it makes sense that this movie was (unfortunately) overstuffed. Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and Sam Raimi were allegedly contracted for three films max under the Spider-man title. I suppose it made sense that they went straight for the black suit spidey in the third installment, and I'd say it was the right choice. The difference is that the execution of the film didn't fare to well.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:11 am

Speaking of Venom and such, I thought I should mention that if any Aussies here don't know, Todd McFarlane will be at the Supanova this year.

Awwww yeeeeah. 8)

Anyway, Ways to make this thread on topic again.....

Ummmm....

Could Mr Satan beat comic Spider-Man if he didn't have his webshooters?

.....no, that sucks.

Well, I could just say that the Dragon Ball movie may be a good way to bring Dragon Ball fandom to another generation, just as the Spider-Man and X-Men movies did.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:34 am

Bussani wrote:The 3rd just felt like even the writers didn't know what direction it wanted to go in. I've heard rumors that the director didn't want Venom to be in it and he was shoehorned in, which would explain why he was used so poorly.
Not only Venom, but everything about the black costume was just poorly executed. As soon as they opened the movie with the meteor entering the Earth’s atmosphere they were off to a bad start. First of all, that doesn’t even make any sense; are we really meant to believe that an amorphous blob somehow commandeered some falling space debris and set a course for Earth—and that the lovey couple were somehow too oblivious to notice? Secondly, it breaks existing continuity (or rather, a really convenient tie-in to the last movie and comic book canon) by making John Jameson’s space trip a separate, unrelated incident… comic book fans will of course point out that he is the one who uncovers the symbiote and accidentally brings it back to Earth, where it spreads to Peter. I mean, they completely set it up in the previous film (or at least I thought they did), only to scrap his character completely. Then, they make the black suit this actual loose alternative to Spidey’s red-and-blue threads… part of the reason it overpowers him is because it’s always on him—merely taking the shape of other clothes—and thus affecting his thoughts. But, in the movie, it’s treated more like Frodo and the Ring, like it’s calling out to him and enticing him with the reward of power.

And then with Venom, despite people saying stuff like “oh he’s too skinny”, that part wasn’t actually all that bad—he was much skinnier in the earlier comics than he is now; only thing is, Topher Grace has no meat on him. As a director, I would have made muscling up a requirement for the role with a guy like him. He was literally just a Parker clone; in fact, I think he would have made for a much better Peter Parker overall than Tobey, what with the Eric Foreman demeanor down pat. But, the point is, Eddie Brock is more of a jock-turned-photographer than “just another photographer”, and he needed both the physicality and personality to match. I don’t think Topher is incapable of that role, he just wasn’t pushed enough; hell even with the same directing and better writing it would have played better. And then as Venom, he usually stays Venom for quite some time, Eddie Brock really only comes up to breathe in conflicted situations, where he’s gaining control over the symbiote… not to taunt Parker or whatever.

Anyway, sorry for the fanboy rant, but it’s this pervasive inattention to detail and lack of respect for prior art that really plagues most comic book movies, and for me, those are the reasons DBE will suffer, even if it’s an enjoyable movie otherwise (like the Spider-Man movies have been).
DNA wrote:Even in the 80's cartoons, I remember him lifting half a building ready to chuck it at Tombstone and end is misery for good.
Tombstone: "You can't do that! You're one of the good guys!"
Spidey: "Can't I? Just watch me!"
You mean the ’90s cartoon. The ’80s version was much tamer than that.
And by the way, Peter is the shy guy who looks a bit nerdish, I think he qualifies more as a shy guy then a nerd. Bruce Banner is the flat out emperor nerdmeister, I don't see that in the movies either.
No, Peter is significantly nerdy; I mean this is the guy who aces every test, gets picked on at school, goes to science exhibitions… which is what bugs me about the movies: those aspects of him are hardly ever explored. They just substituted all of that with “being awkward”, which I suppose was intended to make him more relatable, or something, but it hardly fits the bill.
DNA wrote:Vulture would be so much of a better character for this type of movie. And it would lead for a demand for the next movie to conclude the dark uniform storyline and bring out Venom.
Yes and yes! I would love to see Vulture in the next installment (or Lizard… I mean, c’mon how long are they going to tease us with Dylan Baker as just Connors?)
Snail wrote:Anywho, this is a Dragonball board right? :lol:
It is, but it’s nice to take a break every once in a while. This constant Dragon Ball talk really can’t be healthy…

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:90's animated series fans will of course point out that he is the one who uncovers the symbiote and accidentally brings it back to Earth, where it spreads to Peter…
Fixed that for ya :D .

The comic book fans will (or should) understand that there's pretty much no way in hell that they could do the comic book version of the suits origin as it would require a whole seperate movie to do the "Secret Wars" event that it was introduced in.
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm

TriforceCaptre wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:90's animated series fans will of course point out that he is the one who uncovers the symbiote and accidentally brings it back to Earth, where it spreads to Peter…
Fixed that for ya :D .

The comic book fans will (or should) understand that there's pretty much no way in hell that they could do the comic book version of the suits origin as it would require a whole seperate movie to do the "Secret Wars" event that it was introduced in.
This. But I agree with Acid Reign's sentiments all the same.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:39 pm

DNA wrote:Go a few years back in comics and read the saga of the dark suit or whatever it was called. Then tell me if "Dark Peter" acts like that.

The symbiont is supposed to make him lose all inhibitions and not take shit from anyone, and when someone gives him shit he goes all berserk and nearly kills whoever it is.
Wrong. The original black suit didn't change his personality at all. It only made him tired as the alien fed off him and took his body out for joyrides while Peter was sleeping.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:
DNA wrote:Go a few years back in comics and read the saga of the dark suit or whatever it was called. Then tell me if "Dark Peter" acts like that.

Wrong. The original black suit didn't change his personality at all. It only made him tired as the alien fed off him and took his body out for joyrides while Peter was sleeping.
I'd take that over turning him into a dancing moron. But what really gets me is that all the hype made it seem like he was going to be all dark and stuff, but...really it just turned him into a much bigger prick. =/

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:24 pm

Bussani wrote:I'd take that over turning him into a dancing moron. But what really gets me is that all the hype made it seem like he was going to be all dark and stuff, but...really it just turned him into a much bigger prick. =/
Willingly and enthusiastically 'killing' Sandman and then bragging about it to Aunt May doesn't qualify as 'dark?' That kinda scared me in the movie.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Rocketman wrote:I liked Spider-Man 3, so y'all can just shove off. *crosses arms*
Hey, not me! I'm on your side here. :wink:
Linkin Park and I are not emo. Anyway... pretty awesome image! Thanks for the great find! I'm gonna go and show all of my S-M3 hating - DBZ loving friends now.
Hehe, I like Linkin Park aswell. But I like it for the sound, not the lyrics... and it's worth noting that I liked it before I knew what an "emo" was, with me being a country hick and all.
haha Wow, same here! Been a proud fan for almost 7 years now. :D I guess it's safe to say that you and I are Saiyan brethren. :) Anyway, maybe this image might've been a vital sign of the amaaaazing live-action movie pissing all over us two years later? :roll:
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:06 pm

TriforceCaptre wrote:Fixed that for ya :D .

Damn, you’re right, my mistake. Still though, bloody good opportunity.
SSj Kaboom wrote:Willingly and enthusiastically 'killing' Sandman and then bragging about it to Aunt May doesn't qualify as 'dark?' That kinda scared me in the movie.
Sandman? No no no, he thought he killed Cell. And I mean, who wouldn’t brag about that? :P

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Rocketman wrote:Wrong. The original black suit didn't change his personality at all. It only made him tired as the alien fed off him and took his body out for joyrides while Peter was sleeping.
Oh yeah, you're right. Well... never been a really big fan of Spider-Man comics myself, again, I'm more of a Wolverine guy. :P
Sad part, that which you just described would make such a better plot.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm

DNA wrote:Oh yeah, you're right. Well... never been a really big fan of Spider-Man comics myself, again, I'm more of a Wolverine guy. :P
Sad part, that which you just described would make such a better plot.
He was also doing Black Cat at the time.

Personally, I would've liked Spidey 3 to have Black Cat, New Goblin, and Sandman. Cause then you got Black Cat, who's a thief but not that bad, and New Goblin, who's a friend cracked out of his mind on drugs, and Sandman, who's a criminal but sympathetic. And on the other side is Spider-Man, who's slowly becoming worse than any of the "bad guys" through the influence of the suit.

Also he taps that Black Cat ass.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:51 am

Yeah, introducing Black Cat to shake things up would have made more sense than introducing Gwen at this stage in the game.

I don't like the idea of this woman who was essentially the love of Peter's life, the woman he would have gone on to marry being reduced to a fling.

If they couldn't do her justice, they shouldn't have had her at all.

And they certainly shouldn't have kept her alive!

Although for some reason, I wasn't really against what they did with her in Ultimate Spider-Man. Weird.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:06 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Yeah, introducing Black Cat to shake things up would have made more sense than introducing Gwen at this stage in the game.

I don't like the idea of this woman who was essentially the love of Peter's life, the woman he would have gone on to marry being reduced to a fling.

If they couldn't do her justice, they shouldn't have had her at all.

And they certainly shouldn't have kept her alive!

Although for some reason, I wasn't really against what they did with her in Ultimate Spider-Man. Weird.
Yeah...it felt like Gwen was there for very little reason. I still say the whole movie just didn't feel as well conceived as the other two.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 am

Well it seems that Raimi wants Morbius in the sequel... to be honest I don't know much about him.

But he doesn't seem like a fan favourite, which I see as a good thing. It means they will make an effort to make him work, rather than just feeling him appearing will be enough.

And I really want to see Lizard.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:19 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Well it seems that Raimi wants Morbius in the sequel... to be honest I don't know much about him.
PLLAAAAAAAAAASSSMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!