FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by G1Ravage » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:02 pm

This is shocking in so many ways. I'm shocked because:

1) FUNimation is putting out yet another Dragon Ball Z home video release while two are currently ongoing, even further dividing the fan-base on what to buy.

2) FUNi is discarding their Orange Brick widescreen masters after disappointing the hardcore or videophilic fans, despite amazing sales.

3) FUNi is going back to the same video company, and the same colorist responsible for the Orange Brick fiasco.

4) Yet, this is already a step-up by apparently using the Dragon Box as a source, and keeping the 4:3 frame.

Still, this is likely a no-buy scenario for me. The ONLY way I would buy this Blu-ray release would be if the episodes were complete, beginning to end, with the proper openings, credits, and previews, a la the Dragon Box. (If this source is derived from the Dragon Box, then it's a possibility.) I would also want a complete and accurate re-dub. Otherwise, I already have everything I need with the Dragon Boxes. I already have the Japanese episodes presented properly, and I don't need to see the same old crap dub from more than a decade ago, nor hear the Faulconer music again. A re-dub would give me reason to re-up, but not HD-footage alone.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:04 pm

sangofe wrote:
Taku128 wrote:The Blu-rays can't be using the Dragon Boxes because the Dragon Box footage only exists in 480p.
The master for the Dragonboxes, the film, is not "480 p", though.
But they didn't remaster the film itself, they remastered a digital master of that film. The remastered version only exists in 480p. Toei theoretically does still have the film stock they took that footage from, but it wouldn't be remastered like the Dragon Boxes are, it'd still have all the scratches and tape and other things they fixed when digitally remastering the footage for the Dragon Box in 480p.
­

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Taku128 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Taku128 wrote:The Blu-rays can't be using the Dragon Boxes because the Dragon Box footage only exists in 480p.
The master for the Dragonboxes, the film, is not "480 p", though.
But they didn't remaster the film itself, they remastered a digital master of that film. The remastered version only exists in 480p. Toei theoretically does still have the film stock they took that footage from, but it wouldn't be remastered like the Dragon Boxes are, it'd still have all the scratches and tape and other things they fixed when digitally remastering the footage for the Dragon Box in 480p.

Have they said so themselves? That they remastered a digital master? I am pretty sure AB got the raw filmstock, as Marc calls it (before it's remastered) when they re-newed their license to release the DB Z boxes over in France.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 pm

sangofe wrote:Have they said so themselves? That they remastered a digital master? I am pretty sure AB got the raw filmstock, as Marc calls it (before it's remastered) when they re-newed their license to release the DB Z boxes over in France.
That is how remastering is done.

You scan the film. You put the film back where it is safe.

That digital scan of the film is now a raw digital master. You make copies of the digital master and you tweak those copies, thereby those are now 'remastered'.

You wouldn't remaster the 'film' itself because one wrong move and the film is gone, destroyed forever (which on occasion has to be done to even make a digital master if the film isn't stored right.)

It's possible in the case of AB, Toei didn't want to give the remastered footage, so gave them a digital master that hadn't been remastered and AB worked on it themselves.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Personally, this release looks like it might be a buy for me once it gets to the part of the series I enjoy. I've held off on each one waiting for the best, and this could be it... but I'm not holding my breath yet.

BS incorrect technobabble removed due to MarcFBR's great post right before mine. Read it!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:46 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Notice the absence of pink. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
So you say "Look at the absence of pink! This exactly looks like the freaking Orange Brick footage, so this release will look as bad as the season sets!"? That's stupid because that overmuch amount of pink in the Dbox footage was caused by film degradation. To correct the colours properly, you have to tone down magenta. The absence of pink proves nothing. It doesn't mean this release will look bad.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:58 am

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:05 am

kei17 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Notice the absence of pink. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
So you say "Look at the absence of pink! This exactly looks like the freaking Orange Brick footage, so this release will look as bad as the season sets!"? That's stupid because that overmuch amount of pink in the Dbox footage was caused by film degradation. To correct the colours properly, you have to tone down magenta. The absence of pink proves nothing. It doesn't mean this release will look bad.
I was wondering when you were gonna get in on this thread. If this looks anything like Kai's colors do, are you thinking of getting these Blu-rays? It might be the first time the series proper is in the colors you like!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:06 am

Well, judging by the colours and saturation, it definitely has to be based off their own masters, but it's good to see that they're actually remastering it properly this time instead of reusing the Orange Brick masters. But I'm already satisfied with their Dragon Box release so I'll definitely pass on this.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Yes, but to some fans (including myself), the pink is what makes the film classy; especially for fans of the Dragon Box.
I like seeing how films of historical records got faded. It shows the history. But when I watch the Dragon Ball series, I don't want such nostalgic feelings. I prefer watching it as a newly-made-like show.
Kendamu wrote:I was wondering when you were gonna get in on this thread. If this looks anything like Kai's colors do, are you thinking of getting these Blu-rays? It might be the first time the series proper is in the colors you like!
I am thinking about getting this release, but these days, I care about the audio quality more than the proper colours.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:43 am

kei17 wrote:
You're putting words in my mouth. I never suggested that it was going to make it look worse, I just pointed out what was there :? . And that was just among other things I noticed.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:35 am

There's one thing I wonder: will this look clearer, have higher video quality, than DBZ Kai?

nathantheguitarist

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 am

I really hope these have the Mexican Spanish audio track. If not, I don't have much reason to care for them. Then, they should fuck with everyone and put the Ocean dub on there when they hit those post-Freeza episodes. :o Totally likely, right? ...right?

At least an HD Rock the Dragon seems like it'd be an obvious extra. I doubt it'd be there though.

...Speaking of the Mexican dub, when were those Latin American DVDs coming out?
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:32 am

HD Rock the Dragon or Gtfo! Heh, though I think having the Mexican dub would be great, the BD can hold it no problem and it sell even more copies.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:00 am

sangofe wrote:There's one thing I wonder: will this look clearer, have higher video quality, than DBZ Kai?
I've been wondering the same thing... While I like the colors Kai (and this release, from the looks of things) uses more than the Dragon Box colors, I'd take the sharpness and clarity of the Dragon Boxes, even with the pink-ish overtone, over blurred "correct" coloring.

Here's hoping FUNimation can get the Kai color while retaining the sharpness of the Dragon Boxes.

...is that just naive hopefulness, or can it actually be done?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:08 am

sumpter360 wrote:
sangofe wrote:There's one thing I wonder: will this look clearer, have higher video quality, than DBZ Kai?
I've been wondering the same thing... While I like the colors Kai (and this release, from the looks of things) uses more than the Dragon Box colors, I'd take the sharpness and clarity of the Dragon Boxes, even with the pink-ish overtone, over blurred "correct" coloring.

Here's hoping FUNimation can get the Kai color while retaining the sharpness of the Dragon Boxes.

...is that just naive hopefulness, or can it actually be done?
I don't think anything will be as sharp as the Dragonbox. However, hopefully the drop in sharpness is very small. If it's at least as good as the Blue or Green Bricks then fans who skipped the Dragonbox will be good to go! :D
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:32 am

This release is basically a dream come true for us dubbies; 4:3, a new transfer, and the score that we love.

The DBoxes and Kai were pretty much useless and meant nothing to me, so it's good to see Funimation actually paying attention to ALL their fans with this release and redeeming themselves.

This will undoubtedly be a buy from me. The full frame and mah music? Hellz yeah, boy, haha!!

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:59 pm

I bet we'll get the "DBZ 90210" theme from the orange bricks than an HD "Rock the Dragon".

We can always fan edit it with the new HD footage! :mrgreen:

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:This release is basically a dream come true for us dubbies; 4:3, a new transfer, and the score that we love.

This will undoubtedly be a buy from me. The full frame and mah music? Hellz yeah, boy, haha!!
Is Nathan Johnson's score that well liked?
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

KaiserNeko

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:58 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:This release is basically a dream come true for us dubbies; 4:3, a new transfer, and the score that we love.

Is Nathan Johnson's score that well liked?
Most people are just kinda Meh on him. I think he's more interested in Faulconer's score.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/