FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Re: FUNimation to put DBZ on Blu-Ray

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:08 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
.:PoetikaL:. wrote:From what I know, they did a new HD transfer of FLCL because the Japanese HD masters were supposedly done horribly. I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray, and I have to say that the transfer was quite good, if not better than expected. The quality was clear and crisp in my view.
They did a different HD transfer for iTunes and stuff. As far as I'm aware they weren't allowed to use it for the BD and the BD uses the meh Japanese one.
Really? Then I'm sorry for getting that info wrong. I read that FUNi did a new one with their BD release, so then the site I read was wrong. Even still, the quality IMO was a quite good. Looks like I should view it again and REALLY pay attention to the quality. Thanks for the correction.
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It looked promising. It was also slightly desaturated from being projected, not to mention significantly enlarged, so it's extremely difficult to make any kind of accurate judgement about it at all.
Did you do the Genki Dama too :D?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 pm

sangofe wrote:Did you do the Genki Dama too :D?
Too busy trying to take pictures :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
sangofe wrote:Did you do the Genki Dama too :D?
Too busy trying to take pictures :P.
Oh cool, I hope you got some and that we'll see them on here :D

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Well at least it's not the orange bricks at least a first sight, but I can't really tell the quality because of the video..

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:00 pm

sangofe wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:It looked promising. It was also slightly desaturated from being projected, not to mention significantly enlarged, so it's extremely difficult to make any kind of accurate judgement about it at all.
Wouldn't it have been called "Spirit Bomb" in that panel?

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Wouldn't it have been called "Spirit Bomb" in that panel?
It was.

So, how much do you think these sets will cost? I hope it's around the $30-$40 range since they're only giving us 17 episodes.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:28 pm

funrush wrote:So, how much do you think these sets will cost? I hope it's around the $30-$40 range since they're only giving us 17 episodes.
Perhaps around $34.99 would be the initial MSRP, but I wouldn't even consider these until they're around the $15 dollar sale range the Bricks currently sell for.

(That's -after- I get a Blu-Ray player, BTW.)

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:33 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
funrush wrote:So, how much do you think these sets will cost? I hope it's around the $30-$40 range since they're only giving us 17 episodes.
Perhaps around $34.99 would be the initial MSRP, but I wouldn't even consider these until they're around the $15 dollar sale range the Bricks currently sell for.

(That's -after- I get a Blu-Ray player, BTW.)
Yeah, I was thinking they'd be around the same price as the Kai sets if not, then I'd be better off just picking up the Dragon Boxes.

And yeah, I need to get a Blu-Ray player soon too. :D

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm hoping they'll be closer to the $15/$20 range, but if they aren't I'm not even of the mind yet that I'd pick up more than the first one just to see how it looks on my TV. Plus, I can wait it out until they do start getting that cheap if I were to pick up more than a few with my favorite episodes on them.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:11 pm

ARRRGHH!

It was bad enough to have to shell out for the orange bricks, then they released the dragon boxes, which I still am waiting out for untill I get a side by side in motion comparison, then kai.... and now this?!

*sigh* I guess I need another dvd rack...

Also, a long time since I last posted here, need to come more often...
Last edited by Jabberwock xeno on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:15 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:ARRRGHH!

It was bad enough to have to shell out for the orange bricks, then they released the dragon boxes, which I still am waiting out for untill I get a side by side in motion comparison, and now this?!

You know you don't have to buy them. Especially now with such a low episode count.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:22 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Jabberwock xeno wrote:ARRRGHH!

It was bad enough to have to shell out for the orange bricks, then they released the dragon boxes, which I still am waiting out for untill I get a side by side in motion comparison, and now this?!

You know you don't have to buy them. Especially now with such a low episode count.
I can't help it... The DB nerd in me wants everything.

Seriously though, it the quality is that much better, and it has a range of ost/sub/sub options, i'll buy it. As I said, the only thing keeping me from getting the dragon boxes is that the still shots I've seen were grainy, and the lack of falcnour music.

I'd appreciate a video comparison....

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

You know, I finally bought FUNi's DragonBoxes to support what I think is a great release. I also snagged the Kai BD's just to have that series, and also because they're competant releases. As I watched, two things occurred to me:

1. I could write a damned funny article about how DB Kai is like the Van Halen reunion (which I saw twice back in 2007), and

2. FUNi finally seems to get it. Solid releases of the series that made them a successful company. All past transgressions are pretty much rendered null and void, to me.

...Then I read about this. I'm not surprised, but I am at the same time. I'll wait of course, but man...why. Just why. They should have let Kai finish, then rolled this out if they're intent on it. They're way oversaturating the market. And while I'd love to see a great native HD DragonBall Z release...well, we'll see. Going back to the same people who did the last remastering disaster makes me shake my head, admittedly. Guess we'll see soon enough.
"You don't know what you're talking about. You're not very smart, and the things you're saying are nonsense. And I'm not angry. But you do need to shut up." - Tycho Brahe

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm

If they're cheap I'll check out the first one.

If they're dirt cheap, look great, are region B and are at least 90% of what a great release should be then, dammit, I'll get em all.

I've been buying the series since 2007, if I stop then the world will blow up! And I'll feel left out...

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:You know, I finally bought FUNi's DragonBoxes to support what I think is a great release. I also snagged the Kai BD's just to have that series, and also because they're competant releases. As I watched, two things occurred to me:

1. I could write a damned funny article about how DB Kai is like the Van Halen reunion (which I saw twice back in 2007), and

2. FUNi finally seems to get it. Solid releases of the series that made them a successful company. All past transgressions are pretty much rendered null and void, to me.

...Then I read about this. I'm not surprised, but I am at the same time. I'll wait of course, but man...why. Just why. They should have let Kai finish, then rolled this out if they're intent on it. They're way oversaturating the market. And while I'd love to see a great native HD DragonBall Z release...well, we'll see. Going back to the same people who did the last remastering disaster makes me shake my head, admittedly. Guess we'll see soon enough.
How is the video quality of the dboxes versus the bricks?

I don't mind the line breaks on the bricks, they only occur really during power up scenes, I like to think of it as just part of it. :wink:

What does annoy me is the grain...

If you ask me, the season sets look the best. Yes, it's cropped (Why, by the way?), but compared to the others, it looks SO much better. Kai looks washed out, The box looks dull. That said, kai looks GREAT in motion, much better than the sets, which is why I'm not juding the dboxs untill I see them in motion compared to the season sets.

I realize most of the people here are anti-dub, but dub is what I grew up with, and that's what I enjoy.

Oh, also, has anybody seen these yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQXuNXUg ... re=related

There are whole channels with jus 1080p dbz stuff! If the remastering looks this good...

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:03 pm

They're rendering 480p video files at 1080p. I've even seen some at 2K. It's pretty funny.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Jabberwock xeno wrote:I don't mind the line breaks on the bricks, they only occur really during power up scenes, I like to think of it as just part of it. :wink:
When did Goku learn how to make his face disappear?

I can't see how you can accept destruction of the film as part of the image, but can't accept grain as part of the image, when it literally is the image itself.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 pm

As I was already halfway done "growing up" when I got into DBZ, luckily I'm not too attached to any specific version because that just happened to be what was around when it was on TV. Because of that, I was able to form my own opinion on what I like best (the manga, followed by the select episodes of the Japanese version of the anime) rather than just sticking to whatever was most readily accessible.

Also, while grain doesn't annoy me in the slightest, loss of detail and colors bleeding together (such as dark blues and blacks on Radtiz, which makes details go unseen) does annoy me a lot.

At this point, Kai is the nice middle ground for me in terms of my favorite animated color palette with minimum loss of detail. There are some things that could've been cleaned up a lot better in Kai, though. Hopefully this new DBZ release will correct those issues as they don't have to pump out episodes on a weekly basis.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Jabberwock xeno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jabberwock xeno » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Jabberwock xeno wrote:I don't mind the line breaks on the bricks, they only occur really during power up scenes, I like to think of it as just part of it. :wink:
When did Goku learn how to make his face disappear?

I can't see how you can accept destruction of the film as part of the image, but can't accept grain as part of the image, when it literally is the image itself.
Because in my mind, the scenes in question were already filled with bright lights and shakey-ness. To me, the line breaks are just more of that.

Yes, film grain is part of it, yes it adds detail, but it breaks up the image. That's just how I see it. I'm still open to changing my mind if I can get a video comparison.

Anyways....

I saw the video, and i'm pleased.

The aspect ratio is better than that of the bricks, it's not as grainy as the dboxs, and it's clear like the bricks.

Do we know if it has dub music? I know they said orginal voice actors, and japanese sound... and possible marathon mode.

If so, insta buy! :D