"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

Nasryyy wrote:New images from tonight's episode
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
These look pretty cool (apart from Goku in the first pic), but they need to stop drawing Gohan like Vegeta.
sintzu wrote:The Doma arc (the one with Dartz right ?) was my favorite arc and showed that with the right writer filler can be just as good as canon. The Virtual arc was also really well done. I liked how it gave us more info about Kaiba and his rise to power.
I loved the dark tone in this arc and how Atem lost for the first time, but by the time of the final duel with Dartz, they gave a middle finger to the rules in the previous arcs lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Noah wrote: but they need to stop drawing Gohan like Vegeta.
At least he isn't looking like Goku
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Lionel wrote: The preview from last week essentially confirmed Goku's involvement, but does his participation need to be spotlight almost every episode? Seriously, I think Baba's Tournament offered more leeway for the subsidiary characters to shine without needless entanglement by Goku. Regardless of his protagonist status, he doesn't need to be parceled out over 90% of the time in these arcs. #17's involvement is somehow becoming wearisome also. I'm questioning how much longer the animators will choose to commit themselves to him before shifting the focus over to some other potentially worthy faces. My greatest interest with this episode lies in Gohan and his potential exploits against Universe 10 and Botamo. Piccolo also seems to be staging his own appearance. Will he finally earn himself an elimination? Those are the upcoming questions I'm gripped with, not how many more trophies Goku will get to place on his wall.
The animators don't have any say it what characters get focus.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
But he's Goku's son. :)

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Is this page still untranslated? Anyone know the content of it?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:43 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:Is this page still untranslated? Anyone know the content of it?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Are those arrows that we're seeing between all the Super Saiyan forms? That's... potentially interesting.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:Is this page still untranslated? Anyone know the content of it?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Are those arrows that we're seeing between all the Super Saiyan forms? That's... potentially interesting.
This has been posted before, but I don't recall seeing a translation
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Lionel wrote: The preview from last week essentially confirmed Goku's involvement, but does his participation need to be spotlight almost every episode? Seriously, I think Baba's Tournament offered more leeway for the subsidiary characters to shine without needless entanglement by Goku. Regardless of his protagonist status, he doesn't need to be parceled out over 90% of the time in these arcs. #17's involvement is somehow becoming wearisome also. I'm questioning how much longer the animators will choose to commit themselves to him before shifting the focus over to some other potentially worthy faces. My greatest interest with this episode lies in Gohan and his potential exploits against Universe 10 and Botamo. Piccolo also seems to be staging his own appearance. Will he finally earn himself an elimination? Those are the upcoming questions I'm gripped with, not how many more trophies Goku will get to place on his wall.
The animators don't have any say it what characters get focus.
Animation team, writers for said team, whatever. Does Toriyama's original script go into detail about Goku needing to be front and center for virtually every part of the tournament? If not then the studio team responsible for creating the episode must also be keen on ensuring Goku is given some participatory role even when the central focus isn't on himself in the back-to-back episodes.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
At least he isn't looking like Yamcha anymore... Coincidentally, another guy Bulma has fucked. :D
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Lionel wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Quoting from the animation thread:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The preview from last week essentially confirmed Goku's involvement, but does his participation need to be spotlight almost every episode? Seriously, I think Baba's Tournament offered more leeway for the subsidiary characters to shine without needless entanglement by Goku. Regardless of his protagonist status, he doesn't need to be parceled out over 90% of the time in these arcs. #17's involvement is somehow becoming wearisome also. I'm questioning how much longer the animators will choose to commit themselves to him before shifting the focus over to some other potentially worthy faces. My greatest interest with this episode lies in Gohan and his potential exploits against Universe 10 and Botamo. Piccolo also seems to be staging his own appearance. Will he finally earn himself an elimination? Those are the upcoming questions I'm gripped with, not how many more trophies Goku will get to place on his wall.
Sure Baba's tournament did offer more leeway, it didn't mean much in the end though since Kuririn and Yamcha were taken out early and Goku is left to clear the bulk of the tournament on his own. I'm pretty interested in seeing Gohan's dilemma, but I'm more interested in the NEP than the episode itself. I do agree with your overall point that they could tone down the screen time for some of these guys.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Totamo wrote: You do realize you hate super and people actually like it, right? A lot of peopel here shit on it and I see how they get when people do praise it.

I'm not going to get into the GT vs super argument because quite frankly, its dumb as hell. Some people hate on these series for things Z did that they praise and some give one leeway for what one did.

Both used nostalgia heavily but only one has made it to 100 episodes plus and is actually succeeding in what i was created to do, despite airing in a harsher time with a harsher schedule while the other all the tools to bounce ratings up but was still canceled, broke the back of what was already a dying franchises and remains one of 7 things I strongly hate that carries the dragon ball name
If I hated Super, why in the world would I go out of my way every Saturday to not only watch the raw and English sub episode back to back, but to watch the English Dub I recorded on my DVR right afterwards? I may have a lot of criticism with Super and their lack of attention to details, but I still love the series. I'm a Dragon Ball fan. Even if it's crap. My only problem is I wish the people at Toei loved the series just as much so they couldn't mess it up so frequently.
And how do you know they don't? And Mess what up exactly?
Usually when you love a craft or anything in general, you want it to be perfect. As a musician (when I can be) you do recitals/concerts for people. Friends and families (and competition sometimes) come to see the product you've put forth. Needless to say you want the music to be perfect. You want to make sure you put your best foot forward because you love what you do and you want perfection. You don't want a mediocre product with your name attached to it.

I'm not going to go into specifics about what I dislike about Super, but you can't possibly expect me to believe everyone who's involved with the writing in Super have the same basic knowledge and passion as most fans. I'm a strong believer in some poeople just going through the motions. Like most people do with their day jobs. There have been too many random inconsistencies that could've been solved by basic knowledge of the series that it's hard to believe they take real pride in their craft. I'm sure I'll get a lot of crap for voicing my opinion, but I guess we aren't allowed to do that here. :problem:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Lionel wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The preview from last week essentially confirmed Goku's involvement, but does his participation need to be spotlight almost every episode? Seriously, I think Baba's Tournament offered more leeway for the subsidiary characters to shine without needless entanglement by Goku. Regardless of his protagonist status, he doesn't need to be parceled out over 90% of the time in these arcs. #17's involvement is somehow becoming wearisome also. I'm questioning how much longer the animators will choose to commit themselves to him before shifting the focus over to some other potentially worthy faces. My greatest interest with this episode lies in Gohan and his potential exploits against Universe 10 and Botamo. Piccolo also seems to be staging his own appearance. Will he finally earn himself an elimination? Those are the upcoming questions I'm gripped with, not how many more trophies Goku will get to place on his wall.
He might not be "worthy" to you but he is to a lot of people, everyone loved him last episode and said he saved that one, he's obviously a great and a smart fighter and has great and unique abilities which is no doubt why they're giving him more importance than some other boring characters who stopped being cool awhile ago, you're going to see Gohan in action today so what's your problem again ? i can't believe how some people here feel the need to be salty toward a characters for no reason other than "oh my favorites should get more spotlight"

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Jigurashi wrote: Sure Baba's tournament did offer more leeway, it didn't mean much in the end though since Kuririn and Yamcha were taken out early and Goku is left to clear the bulk of the tournament on his own. I'm pretty interested in seeing Gohan's dilemma, but I'm more interested in the NEP than the episode itself. I do agree with your overall point that they could tone down the screen time for some of these guys.
Not to mentioned unneeded since Goku could have soloed all the fighters faster than his entire team. Having Krillin and Yamcha fight first honestly felt like filler.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Lionel wrote:#17's involvement is somehow becoming wearisome also.
Let me guess, his face isn't green enough ?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:44 pm

Slaythe wrote:
Did you read the rest of what he wrote at all?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: At least he isn't looking like Goku
At least he isn't looking like Yamcha anymore... Coincidentally, another guy Bulma has fucked. :D
Wow, he did used to look like Yamcha...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Does Gohan, like, go through phases? Because currently, it looks like he's going through a Vegeta phase.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:47 pm

kinisking wrote:
Slaythe wrote:
Did you read the rest of what he wrote at all?
He's complaining about 17 recieving "too much attention" when last episode was the first where he had some action in the tournament so it doesn't make sense, 17 had his moment and Gohan and Piccolo will have their moments today, he had no need to be salty, he should learn something called patience.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:
He might not be "worthy" to you but he is to a lot of people, everyone loved him last episode and said he saved that one, he's obviously a great and a smart fighter and has great and unique abilities which is no doubt why they're giving him more importance than some other boring characters who stopped being cool awhile ago, you're going to see Gohan in action today so what's your problem again ? i can't believe how some people here feel the need to be salty toward a characters for no reason other than "oh my favorites should get more spotlight"
The crux of my grievances is directed towards Goku, but I do confess to feeling aversive at what looks to be a seemingly more plausible situation involving #17 following in Goku and Vegeta's footsteps of almost double-handedly eliminating 1/7th of the competition. From someone of your position who seems to be one of the most adamant supports for #17 that might seem like a golden scenario, but some, if not many of us have been finding grievance with the studio writers proving unable to sufficiently project this event like it was initially intended to be, a multi-sided battle royale where every universe is for themselves. For the most part, the universes have been losing fighters to a small handful of characters exclusively from Universes 6 and 7. You could better easily rationalise this disproportionate amount by having the characters in question using much larger amounts of their power, but that's not the case. They've been largely restricting themselves except for one or two moments in their fights. If taking fault in this overexposure makes me "salty", in your words, then so be it.

My expectations for this tournament have largely been tempered. I hardly expected anyone apart from the Saiyans and Freeza to be gamefully racking up eliminations, but to the extent that one or more of them needs to make a substantive appearance almost every episode? Yes, I am going to take fault with the show -- even Krillin's self-acclaimed titled episode only allocated roughly five minutes of actual screen time to his fighting, two of which was shared with #18. It's understandable as Krillin prepared for the tournament with collaborative strategies involving #18, but I do feel the episode title may have just been a tad bit of an overstatement for how much Krillin's appearance actually was given. I can recall Vegeta's involvement with the Trio de Dangers at the beginning of the tournament as having more choreographical effort put into it than Krillin's solitary fight with Majora, and we know Krillin will be sitting out the rest of this tournament. How does that speak for the other members of Universe 7 except for a few?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:56 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: Sure Baba's tournament did offer more leeway, it didn't mean much in the end though since Kuririn and Yamcha were taken out early and Goku is left to clear the bulk of the tournament on his own. I'm pretty interested in seeing Gohan's dilemma, but I'm more interested in the NEP than the episode itself. I do agree with your overall point that they could tone down the screen time for some of these guys.
Not to mentioned unneeded since Goku could have soloed all the fighters faster than his entire team. Having Krillin and Yamcha fight first honestly felt like filler.
No it didn't. And nobody wants to see Goku solo all fighters.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:01 pm

Lionel wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
Lionel wrote:
The crux of my grievances is directed towards Goku, but I do confess to feeling aversive at what looks to be a seemingly more plausible situation involving #17 following in Goku and Vegeta's footsteps of almost double-handedly eliminating 1/7th of the competition. From someone of your position who seems to be one of the most adamant supports for #17 that might seem like a golden scenario, but some, if not many of us have been finding grievance with the studio writers proving unable to sufficiently project this event like it was initially intended to be, a multi-sided battle royale where every universe is for themselves. For the most part, the universes have been losing fighters to a small handful of characters exclusively from Universes 6 and 7. You could better easily rationalise this disproportionate amount by having the characters in question using much larger amounts of their power, but that's not the case. They've been largely restricting themselves except for one or two moments in their fights. If taking fault in this overexposure makes me "salty", in your words, then so be it.

My expectations for this tournament have largely been tempered. I hardly expected anyone apart from the Saiyans and Freeza to be gamefully racking up eliminations, but to the extent that one or more of them needs to make a substantive appearance almost every episode? Yes, I am going to take fault with the show -- even Krillin's self-acclaimed titled episode only allocated roughly five minutes of actual screen time to his fighting, two of which was shared with #18. It's understandable as Krillin prepared for the tournament with collaborative strategies involving #18, but I do feel the episode title may have just been a tad bit of an overstatement for how much Krillin's appearance actually was given. I can recall Vegeta's involvement with the Trio de Dangers at the beginning of the tournament as having more choreographical effort put into it than Krillin's solitary fight with Majora, and we know Krillin will be sitting out the rest of this tournament. How does that speak for the other members of Universe 7 except for a few?
Everywhere i go i see people happy with 17's involvement and are calling him the MVP, i don't see what you mean by "many of us are not satisfied" , there's no need to cry over it, me and other 17 fans have been waiting for years for him to have even a comeo while you had the chance to see your favorites on screen from time to time, we're only been rewarded for out patience, and Goku is THE MAIN character you can't complain about him having too much exposure just like i won't complain about Usagi being too invoved in sailor moon, it's his show. you want other characters to shine ? fine be patient and wait till this arc is over to complain because saying a character's involvement is "tiresom" when it was expected from the start that he will be involved as much or even more than he is at the moment considering the promotion he got.