900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:03 pm

I don't really give a damn about English Cha-La Head Cha-La. Like I said a few posts up, if they want to have a more "HARDCORE LAWL" opening theme they should get ahold of the Animetal version of Cha-La Head Cha-La for their dub.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:03 pm

Fix the aspect ratio and all the other problems become far less serious and harder to care about.

Color and detail blurring.
Theme song in the 'japanese music' version of the dub.
Packaging
Shitty Book

All the problems become just little 'things' instead of add-ons to a major fuckup.

If the problem is they don't wanna show the glue, or pay the heavy amount to remaster...

Offer to pay more for the Dragonbox, do each box in 'half' seasons, and charge the same amount as you did for this set, and do each 'half' box every 2 months, assuming the Dragonboxes are even an option from Toei, and seeing as how the Spain guys got it, I gotta believe that means it is at least possible...

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:10 pm

godofchaos wrote:Fix the aspect ratio and all the other problems become far less serious and harder to care about.

Color and detail blurring.
Theme song in the 'japanese music' version of the dub.
Packaging
Shitty Book

All the problems become just little 'things' instead of add-ons to a major fuckup.

If the problem is they don't wanna show the glue, or pay the heavy amount to remaster...

Offer to pay more for the Dragonbox, do each box in 'half' seasons, and charge the same amount as you did for this set, and do each 'half' box every 2 months, assuming the Dragonboxes are even an option from Toei, and seeing as how the Spain guys got it, I gotta believe that means it is at least possible...
Spain did not have the Dragon Box masters. From what I can tell, they just had really "nice" masters, bumped up the saturation a bit to bleed out the grain, and stamped a remastered label on it. It's better than what they previously had, and a hell of a lot better than what FUNimation has now and in the past.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:15 pm

I don't think it will work, but here's (yet another) try for a petition

The only thing I could possibly see them doing is making two versions, a wide screen and a full screen, like what Lucas Films did with Star Wars. I doubt the'll ever do that but who knows, its FUNi.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:18 pm

Does anyone really blame Toei for being stingy about it though? I mean, think about it, after all the fuckups it's quite clear that FUNi isn't capable of treating the series properly, so why give up such a valuable commodity for any price? They'll make tons more off of it all by themselves, especially considering how crazy people like us are all trying to buy imports now.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:Does anyone really blame Toei for being stingy about it though? I mean, think about it, after all the fuckups it's quite clear that FUNi isn't capable of treating the series properly, so why give up such a valuable commodity for any price? They'll make tons more off of it all by themselves, especially considering how crazy people like us are all trying to buy imports now.
For the right price anything can be bought. I just think that it's just FUNi being too damn cheap. Or it could be that Toei is wating until all of their Dragon Box singles are released, before they let an international company license the masters. Maybe Toei doesn't want the locals to import. :?:

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:39 pm

If that is the case, I'd still be skeptical about FUNi buying the DragonBox masters for domestic release. They still have to finish their Perfect Edition Definititive Release that they just now started.

Unless, of course, they market it as "Hey, geeks, we listened to your firebombs hitting our building. Now we also have the remaster in fullscreen!!!" or something.
(they/she)

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:45 pm

SatoSky wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:Does anyone really blame Toei for being stingy about it though? I mean, think about it, after all the fuckups it's quite clear that FUNi isn't capable of treating the series properly, so why give up such a valuable commodity for any price? They'll make tons more off of it all by themselves, especially considering how crazy people like us are all trying to buy imports now.
For the right price anything can be bought. I just think that it's just FUNi being too damn cheap. Or it could be that Toei is wating until all of their Dragon Box singles are released, before they let an international company license the masters. Maybe Toei doesn't want the locals to import. :?:
Well, that'd certainly explain the Region Encoding. Which is something I'll never understand...preventing certain audiences from viewing your work? Backwards.

And while it's true about them being able to be bought, you'd think that if Toei planned on selling their copies eventually, they'd let FUNi know that, and they in turn would not be jumping out of their lederhosen rushing to complete their own half-assed "master sets."

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Considering how many fans are ignorant of the cropping or they just don't care about the cropping, why does FUNi need to care about aquiring DragonBox footage, anyway?
(they/she)

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Kendamu wrote:Considering how many fans are ignorant of the cropping or they just don't care about the cropping, why does FUNi need to care about aquiring DragonBox footage, anyway?
Technically they don't, but we're all hoping they're better than that, deep down inside. :P

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:55 pm

SatoSky wrote:Spain did not have the Dragon Box masters. From what I can tell, they just had really "nice" masters, bumped up the saturation a bit to bleed out the grain, and stamped a remastered label on it. It's better than what they previously had, and a hell of a lot better than what FUNimation has now and in the past.
All the caps I saw from the Spain disks appear EXTREMELY similiar to the Dragonbox masters minus contrast and other stuff being pushed up to shit.

Even if they weren't the Dragonbox they are still WAYYYYYYYYY better then what Toei gave Funi.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:26 pm

I put up a few screens in this thread but yea, they're no where near the Dragon Box, but a hell of a lot better than what FUNimation puts out, both now and in the past.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:04 pm

OK, I got the set in my hands today and here are my thoughts on it. First of all let me tell you that I'm not posting any screenshots or video clips because 1) I don't have the "know how" and 2) don't really have the tech to do it.

Cropping:
You've all seen the screenshots posted thus far so you have your own opinions on this. Personally, after watching it in motion, the cropping doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. Yeah, there are a couple awkward cut-offs but not enough to deter me from purchasing future sets. So overall the widescreen doesn't bother me much, and bothers me even less on my widescreen TV since it fills it fully, being anamorphic and all.

Remastering:
Aside from the colors still being a little saturated and off, I have to say these episodes look far better than their Ultimate Uncut cousins. The motions of characters and such are VERY fluid. I really enjoyed this during the most fast paced portions of the Goku and Vegeta battle.

English dub with Japanese score:
I kind of like this option. Yeah, the tiny rewrites of the script are still in there but it really was the crappy music that made the dub bad in my opinion. So watching the show with this option is a lot like watching the dub of the original Dragon Ball, which I thought was very good.

Extras:
One word. Laughable. There is the tech trailer we've all seen, and a pitiful 5 minutes "documentary" of the remastering process which really wasn't interesting at all. Other than that it has credit-less versions of Cha-la-head-cha-la, and Zenkai Power and the standard plethora of Funimation trailers. The book is pathetic too but you've probably seen some of the scans of it earlier in the topic. What's worse is mine came a little bit ripped, but that shouldn't affect everyone.

Packaging:
I actually like this packaging. The DBZ logo on slip cover for the set is raised and very nice looking. On the DVD book spine itself (not the slip cover) it looks like all the sets lined up together will display the DBZ logo over a picture of what looks to be Shenlong. It should look nice but what worries me is, will all the sets be the same orange color? That would be pretty boring, unless it's just the spine which I guess is alright.

I guess that's all I've got to say on the subject. Overall, I guess I'm satisfied with this set and will buy the future releases. My only hope is that if they really want to be consistent, that they'll release Dragon Ball, and GT in this format as well so all 500+ episodes will match in my collection.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:23 pm

Trust me, that's not the reason Toei's stingy. They're just as much a bunch of greedy idiots as anyone. Don't forget the whole fiasco of them actually thinking they could make their own label over here and release DVDs of their series themselves without any help from any North American companies. Ya.....they did a really good job with that.>>
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Trust me, that's not the reason Toei's stingy. They're just as much a bunch of greedy idiots as anyone. Don't forget the whole fiasco of them actually thinking they could make their own label over here and release DVDs of their series themselves without any help from any North American companies. Ya.....they did a really good job with that.>>
When did Toei try to release DVD's on their own?

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:29 pm

I personally like the colors much better on the Funi's new release. Especially the sky. When I think of skyes I think of Funi's blue, not TOEI's green. :(
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 pm

http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-4.jpg

Exactly what episode and scene is this from?
(they/she)

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:OK, I got the set in my hands today and here are my thoughts on it. First of all let me tell you that I'm not posting any screenshots or video clips because 1) I don't have the "know how" and 2) don't really have the tech to do it.

Cropping:
You've all seen the screenshots posted thus far so you have your own opinions on this. Personally, after watching it in motion, the cropping doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. Yeah, there are a couple awkward cut-offs but not enough to deter me from purchasing future sets. So overall the widescreen doesn't bother me much, and bothers me even less on my widescreen TV since it fills it fully, being anamorphic and all.

Remastering:
Aside from the colors still being a little saturated and off, I have to say these episodes look far better than their Ultimate Uncut cousins. The motions of characters and such are VERY fluid. I really enjoyed this during the most fast paced portions of the Goku and Vegeta battle.

English dub with Japanese score:
I kind of like this option. Yeah, the tiny rewrites of the script are still in there but it really was the crappy music that made the dub bad in my opinion. So watching the show with this option is a lot like watching the dub of the original Dragon Ball, which I thought was very good.

Extras:
One word. Laughable. There is the tech trailer we've all seen, and a pitiful 5 minutes "documentary" of the remastering process which really wasn't interesting at all. Other than that it has credit-less versions of Cha-la-head-cha-la, and Zenkai Power and the standard plethora of Funimation trailers. The book is pathetic too but you've probably seen some of the scans of it earlier in the topic. What's worse is mine came a little bit ripped, but that shouldn't affect everyone.

Packaging:
I actually like this packaging. The DBZ logo on slip cover for the set is raised and very nice looking. On the DVD book spine itself (not the slip cover) it looks like all the sets lined up together will display the DBZ logo over a picture of what looks to be Shenlong. It should look nice but what worries me is, will all the sets be the same orange color? That would be pretty boring, unless it's just the spine which I guess is alright.

I guess that's all I've got to say on the subject. Overall, I guess I'm satisfied with this set and will buy the future releases. My only hope is that if they really want to be consistent, that they'll release Dragon Ball, and GT in this format as well so all 500+ episodes will match in my collection.
Yet another good review. I don't think I'll be disapointed now. Thanks.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:47 pm

Ok guys, here's the new petition. Re-written, and to the point.

So please do whatever you can to help get the word around, and help get DBZ back the way it was meant to be seen!

http://www.petitiononline.com/DBREDO/petition.html

EDIT: replaced url with final petition.
Last edited by nathantheguitarist on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:11 pm

Kendamu wrote:http://www.db-destiny.net/DBZ_SEASON01_DISC2-4.jpg

Exactly what episode and scene is this from?
Looks like episode 12, when Tenshinhan is stopping the waterfall. I could be wrong, though.
BrollysKin wrote:I personally like the colors much better on the Funi's new release. Especially the sky. When I think of skyes I think of Funi's blue, not TOEI's green.
Um, the sky is still blue in DragonBall, it's just green throughout episode 34 because it takes place during a sunset.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com