Where to Now For the Dragon Ball Video Game Franchise?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Where to Now For the Dragon Ball Video Game Franchise?

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 am

I'm still pissed off, that the GT Transformation wasn't a direct sequel on engine of Legacy of Goku.
Later, after I played the game and got little settled about it (even with the horrible designs of characters, done by
the same lady that screwed the faces of characters in LOG 2 that they had to be changed for Japanese release),
waiting for the sequel after the cliffhanger ending........
And got pissed again!!!

Well, the game isn't really that good, but it was fine change from the Z! Z! Z! Z! trend and whole game around GT.
I would like to have some RPG in style of LOG covering the entire series from DB, to Z (+ GT maybe) on next-gen in 3D.
But I'm afraid this franchise is milked to hell, nobody cares and people are always happy with below average fighters with stamp DRAGON BALL Z! on it, so they don't have any challenge to make a proper game and boost up the sales outside the nerd and hardcore fan comunnity.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Saiyajin and Juice wrote:Capcom vs. Jump would be cool
Also, this.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:33 pm

As long as these games are aimed at only DB fans, the games will continue to tank. It's when the games are able to actually cater to other customers will they know that they are really getting somewhere. I mean, critiscism from a non-fan is much more valuable than from a die-hard fan, don't you think?

It's a shame though that these are simply one-year low quality cash-ins. It means that if they wanted to create a quality game, they would really have to sacrifice certain things, such as large roster, and full story and some content and such. I wouldn't mind no typical story mode, as long as they made a mode as fun as B2's. For how long has the same story been milked for? And people wonder why the voices and acting isn't so good, you think the actors have fun saying the sammme things year after year? Give 'em a break is what I say. Maybe give them some new lines, a different sorta World Tournament mode, some new cutscenes. That would be okay, if you can visualise what I am seeing...

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

I would rather have a huge roster that lets me make up my own stories than whatever crappy story a small roster would support. See: B2's FREEZA AND CELL RETURN AGAIN!

I'm not opposed to the B2-style story mode, though, I thought it was fun (other than having to play the entire thing over from the start every time).

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Rocketman wrote:I would rather have a huge roster that lets me make up my own stories than whatever crappy story a small roster would support. See: B2's FREEZA AND CELL RETURN AGAIN!
Man, I have to commend you. I do not have enough imagination to get a whole story from having two random characters fight.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Rocketman wrote:I would rather have a huge roster that lets me make up my own stories than whatever crappy story a small roster would support. See: B2's FREEZA AND CELL RETURN AGAIN!

I'm not opposed to the B2-style story mode, though, I thought it was fun (other than having to play the entire thing over from the start every time).

The sorta games you want though can only cater to us. Another person who may still be into the same genre, fighting for ex., won't find it interesting. In fact it will likely be laughable. People find it ludicrous I take any interest in these DBZ games. The only reason you'd take a great interest in it is because you're a fan. If you wasn't you'd see it for what it really is, and look at the flaws. And you're only thinking short term. Say they started with a small roster, in 3 years/games time they'd build up and have the roster you desire, AND actual great gameplay. Couldn't you wait that time, 'ey? (Now lets not refer this to BL, that game certainly lacked in certain areas, definitely..)
2-3 years is the time one would wait for a quality game anyway, so I don't see the difference (apart from money ofcourse).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:56 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Man, I have to commend you. I do not have enough imagination to get a whole story from having two random characters fight.
Future Trunks in the Buu arc.
Goku never hits his head.
Appule conquers the universe.

It's easy if you try~

DonieZ wrote:The sorta games you want though can only cater to us. Another person who may still be into the same genre, fighting for ex., won't find it interesting. In fact it will likely be laughable. People find it ludicrous I take any interest in these DBZ games. The only reason you'd take a great interest in it is because you're a fan. If you wasn't you'd see it for what it really is, and look at the flaws.
Why bother catering to people who aren't fans?

As for development time, I severely doubt there are three years left in the DB franchise if they go that route. Budokai got to three games because it was the only game in town for the first two. Similarly, Tenkaichi's style was something brand new, so it got time to get the kinks worked out.

There's no leeway anymore. Nobody's going to pay $60 on a unpolished game on B1 or BT1's level on the offchance that three years and 120 dollars later it might develop into a great game with all the fanservice I want and the deep fighting engine you want when there's like six other options already out there.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 pm

B1 or BT1 level?? Ain't that a bit harsh? Anyway, a game like what I was referring to would be on a far greater level than those games gameplay wise, far greater. And if you think about it the norm for fighting games is like 30 character's, steadily increasing with each installment. You gotta think logically. You really believe you'll still be interested in the same sorta style as BT3 in 5 years? It's outdated, has flaws, and could be tonnes better. But I get what you mean about 120 dollars later, dang that sounds like a lot. It would be about 70-80 pounds here in the UK; eventhough that still is a lot it doesn't seem so once 12 months have gone past.

And why bother catering to people who aren't fans? Money ofcourse. I don't necessarily mean going out of your way to make something appealing to someone else, but if the product once finalized is actually able to attract other people somehow, than that's a plus. And it actually means the game really is alright.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Really? I do this all the time, I've been doing it since B3. But really, nothing but a huge roster means the game play suffers and as much as I like being able to make up my own stories and the like it's not worth having every character play the same.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm

To anyone who thinks that there should be no DragonBall games for three or four years: Do you think that anyone who doesn't visit these kind of sites would care once the game finally came out? The series has been slowly losing revelance over the past couple of years. Kai brought some awareness to the series. But without significant media being released, there's no reason to care about the video games. The only reason would be the tradition of releasing a new game every year.

Personally, I gave up after I bought Raging Blast and they seemed to change the controls around for the sake of change. I spent three years getting the controls of the Sparking series imbedded into my head. I can't even get used to the way Tenkaichi Tag works.

I've been wondering why we haven't recieved a Sagas like game. Use the BT/RB control scheme with an adventure like game would be cool. I would drop $60 on that just on the premise alone.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

K.O. Ken

Post by K.O. Ken » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 am

DonieZ wrote:And why bother catering to people who aren't fans? Money ofcourse.
But if these people arent already invested in the series, they more than likely wont care enough to even rent the game, let alone buy it and the 2 half-assed sequels that'll no doubt follow. And thats assuming they even hear about the game in the first place!

I'm not an expert in marketing, but it seems to be a bad idea to market your niche game titles to a group that otherwise has zero interest in something as old and cartoony as Dragonball, and just HOPE they pick it up.

I say cater to the fans. They are the ones who will keep supporting the franchise, not that obnoxious Call of Duty kid next door, or your friend at work who watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, or even your sibling who's currently obsessed with Lucky Star. It aint gon' work, yo.
"But it's pronounced Kaioken!"
"That's the joke."

http://www.youtube.com/user/ultramancronos/

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 am

Rocketman wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Future Trunks in the Buu arc.
Goku never hits his head.
Appule conquers the universe.

It's easy if you try~.
I've been doing that since Budokai 1, thought I was the only one who did that sort of thing.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 am

Rocketman, those scenarios are really well done. Thanks for showing them, when I'm done with UT I think I'll buy BT3 again to play them out :D
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 am

K.O. Ken wrote:
DonieZ wrote:And why bother catering to people who aren't fans? Money ofcourse.
But if these people arent already invested in the series, they more than likely wont care enough to even rent the game, let alone buy it and the 2 half-assed sequels that'll no doubt follow. And thats assuming they even hear about the game in the first place!

I'm not an expert in marketing, but it seems to be a bad idea to market your niche game titles to a group that otherwise has zero interest in something as old and cartoony as Dragonball, and just HOPE they pick it up.

I say cater to the fans. They are the ones who will keep supporting the franchise, not that obnoxious Call of Duty kid next door, or your friend at work who watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, or even your sibling who's currently obsessed with Lucky Star. It aint gon' work, yo.

You're being too close-minded. I'm not saying they should go out of their way to actually try and make other people aware and want it, I'm simply saying that if by the game is released, and many other people have taken an interest, then their interest and opinion is much more valuable than just any random fan who would buy the game however it is, because they are being honest and unblinded by fanboy instinct. And I'm not saying to just any other random person, I mean, which I thought was obvious, to someone who already plays games under the same genre. These DB games have ben fighting games for years, but they're probably at the bottom of the list when it comes to fighting games, and there are a lot of fighting games (so don't immediately think trad. 2D).
What I'm saying is to make a game which even non-fans of the series can go and say, that is a great game, would be a real achievement. How things currently are, and have been, our games will continue to be mediocre, typical-liscense titles.

And why do you think a game which has quality that shines to even non-fans would have "2 half-assed sequels"?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:19 am

To cater non-fans and fans of the franchise, they could turn Dragon Ball Z into a zombie-ish game for once, even as only a DLC-type.

It could be: Son and his friends fight their way to exterminate every single walker (enemy from the entire series & whoever -- regular humans) from existence on earth since they were contaminated.

Playing online would be even better as CO-OP, like on RDR:U missions / poker / etc.

Throwing in a sandbox would be needed, vehicles, and whatnot definitely! Let the series milk all right but not always for the same fighting type genre.

Or else.. a DB-DBZ-DBGT RPG game for the home consoles, I'd welcome Dragon Ball Zenkai Battle Royale too, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. :?
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:To anyone who thinks that there should be no DragonBall games for three or four years: Do you think that anyone who doesn't visit these kind of sites would care once the game finally came out? The series has been slowly losing revelance over the past couple of years. Kai brought some awareness to the series. But without significant media being released, there's no reason to care about the video games. The only reason would be the tradition of releasing a new game every year.

Personally, I gave up after I bought Raging Blast and they seemed to change the controls around for the sake of change. I spent three years getting the controls of the Sparking series imbedded into my head. I can't even get used to the way Tenkaichi Tag works.

I've been wondering why we haven't recieved a Sagas like game. Use the BT/RB control scheme with an adventure like game would be cool. I would drop $60 on that just on the premise alone.
Sagas is one of the poorest received dbz games in the franchise. There is no point in giving it a sequel if it garnished such hate.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm

The reason they need to make the game desirable to non-DBZ fans is because then they'd actually have to try, and make the game fun. A good game should be a good game to anyone who picks up and plays it. Let's start there, and then start adding "hardcore" elements in future installments. Obviously it would be better if we got it all at once, but I think it might be beyond Shen Long's power to grant such a wish...

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

batistabus wrote:The reason they need to make the game desirable to non-DBZ fans is because then they'd actually have to try, and make the game fun. A good game should be a good game to anyone who picks up and plays it. Let's start there, and then start adding "hardcore" elements in future installments. Obviously it would be better if we got it all at once, but I think it might be beyond Shen Long's power to grant such a wish...
*Thumbs up; Someone who gets what I'm saying. Exactly this. Once the devs have achieved such things, then will they have gotten somewhere. These are fighting games. At current only casual fans, and casual DBZ fans only can play and really enjoy these games. It's not even all of us either; I'm not one of them at current. Hardcore fighting fans wouldn't give our DBZ games two seconds of attention because there isn't much for them to depict in the game and get competent at. Even casual-fighting game fans wouldn't give these games much earwig. Then there's the other genre fans who have many other games to choose from with far higher quality.

I'm not asking for a Tekken with DBZ skins, I just want a 3D fighter which has amazing movement, great combat, and capability for competitiveness. A game which can slash the other top fighters right off their pedestal; and that can't happen if casual DBZ fans, and casual DBZ fans only are being aimed at.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:To anyone who thinks that there should be no DragonBall games for three or four years: Do you think that anyone who doesn't visit these kind of sites would care once the game finally came out? The series has been slowly losing revelance over the past couple of years. Kai brought some awareness to the series. But without significant media being released, there's no reason to care about the video games. The only reason would be the tradition of releasing a new game every year.
Totally agree with you. Even people that visit sites like DaizEX, they will get bored after waiting for 3 years. The video games keep the franchise alive, I believe. Even if they are not good and hated, we have at least something new to talk about.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Totally agree with you. Even people that visit sites like DaizEX, they will get bored after waiting for 3 years.
What exactly are you basing that assumption on?

'Cuz, ya' know, we waited from 1997 to 2001 and it was pretty fuckin' awesome.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::