Characters who deserved more...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Characters who deserved more...

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I don't know if I would neccessarily want more Chaozu, but when he's first introduced he's not that bright and he's quirky. He calls Kuririn baldy even though he has just one hair. I wish Toriyama hadn't dropped those quirks from his character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Saiga wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Does Tenshinhan even have a personality?
He was a dick, and then he was less of a dick, and then he was sorry for being a dick, and then he wasn't a dick.

So ultimately, no, not anymore.
Also this took place over about forty-five minutes.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Saiga wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Does Tenshinhan even have a personality?
He was a dick, and then he was less of a dick, and then he was sorry for being a dick, and then he wasn't a dick.

So ultimately, no, not anymore.
Also this took place over about forty-five minutes.
Lmao. Really quick change of heart. But that just means Tenshinhan had clouded judgement, and had morals deep down.... lol even when he broke one guy's leg and ended his career.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:19 pm

It was a few more than 2 episodes.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:48 pm

He reminds me of a Karate Kid villain.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:05 pm

"What?! The guy who was training me to murder people for money was not honorable? BWAH!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Rocketman wrote:"What?! The guy who was training me to murder people for money was not honorable? BWAH!"
What are you trying to get at with this? This is a genuine question, so please don't take umbrage.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 pm

I would assume he's saying that Tenshinhan's moral struggle wasn't very deep, complex, or resonating.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:I would assume he's saying that Tenshinhan's moral struggle wasn't very deep, complex, or resonating.
No one's is in DB. Toriyama isn't that kind of writer.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm

ABED wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I would assume he's saying that Tenshinhan's moral struggle wasn't very deep, complex, or resonating.
Yeah most of Vegeta's was because of the anime filler or added dialog from the anime to be honest. Even through I'll say that Gohan and Vegeta was Akira's best work. Through I do wish he did better for Piccolo. I thought he had something going there.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:27 pm

ABED wrote:
Hey, don't look at me. I agree. That also means I agree with Rocketman. But it also means I don't get why a lot of those same people lift up Vegeta as some kind of bastion of complexity in a sea of static characters when he's no more rounded than any of the rest.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:45 pm

I do think Vegeta's dynamic, but Toriyama isn't the kind of writer to delve deeply into his psychy about why. We get a surface level examination, which suffices for the purpose of the story.

What do you consider a well rounded character to be? I'm asking for characteristics, not merely examples of characters.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Kid Buu on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Dragonball Z v1.01 quickfix patch.

-punching a child no longer gives you good karma

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Rocketman wrote:Dragonball Z v1.01 quickfix patch.

-punching a child no longer gives you good karma
He didn't have any good karma to start with. He grew a conscience, and he didn't hurt Gohan out of malice. The Saiyans were going to do much worse and he had only a year to prepare a sheltered child.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:22 pm

Shenlong. Abused by the Z fighters. Ignoring all TFS jokes. I wished Shenlong refused to come out because it's the same person almost every time. I wished that happen in DBGT. Then Shenlong turn the 7 dragonballs to mini Dragons(Taller than the Z fighters but smaller than him) and that would have been the Last Arc of DBGT. I mean the green Shenlong. It would have been a great ending. Then since DBGT lacks logic at times they could plot hax Shenlong to being the last adversary for the z warriors to fight. Then the ending could have been Shenlong kicking ass like a dragon should. The same ending as in DBGT. With Shenron disappearing for awhile and the Z fighters telling Shenlong when he returns they promise they won't use him again unless they absolutely have to. Goku never goes with Shenlong btw

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 pm

But Shen Long is an extention of Kami in many ways.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:44 pm

ABED wrote:But Shen Long is an extention of Kami in many ways.
He was still abused.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:45 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
He was still abused.
But he's not a creature with free will.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 pm

ABED wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
He was still abused.
But he's not a creature with free will.
GT logic =/.