Why did Toriyama chose Chichi to be Son's wife?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why did Toriyama chose Chichi to be Son's wife?

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 pm

Hmm, I keep getting all these filler girls confused. Let's see here..... :?

Princess Misa was the one who was trapped by Shula and his demons...
Chao was the one who's village was terrorized by Terror and Plague.
There was also a red head called Chuu Lee during the next training arc.

It's actually quite possible to pair any of them up with Goku, but I don't think any of them really showed actual affection unlike Chi-Chi and Suno (Maybe Chuu, but I'm not sure). :crazy:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:59 pm

Cetra wrote:Even writing more than "I do" would not convince you as you are not ready to accept that someone else has other interests and preferences than you and knowing that I do is already all in my life that is of your business.
You seem really peeved b/c I don't automatically believe you. I'm simply skeptical. I never claimed to have a desire to know what you do, and no it wouldn't convince anyone, much less a stranger. You don't have to tell me anything personal about yourself, but if you want to engage with someone, expanding on what you enjoy about is probably a good idea. Maybe there's a misunderstanding of what each of us mean when we talk about academic research papers. And I'm perfectly ready to accept that people have other interests, but as I wrote, it's not my experience, or anyone I talk to that they enjoy writing extremely dry articles that won't be read by people.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm

ABED wrote:If that's how Toriyama wrote it, fine, but how many four year olds like to study, much less want to make that their occupation? At that age, I'm not buying it, this seems like something Chichi wanted, and Gohan grew to accept.

Wow..this topic derailed a bit, but anyway, I find it understandable that you would have this opinion considering Gohan is only 4. However, DBZ is fictional, and Gohan isn't an ordinary 4 year old. He's like age 5 and he has the mindset of say...a middle school-aged teenager.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:44 pm

ABED wrote:It's not simple lack of experience, they are mentally immature. It's not a simple matter of telling them stuff. Their cognitive functions are still developing and while I'm no expert, I highly doubt a 4 year old is able to process what an academic truly does, much less want to be one, expect for if their parents want them to.
Please... Kim Ung-yong could read Japanese, Korean, German, English and other languages when he was three years old. Just because that's not normal, it doesn't mean it can't happen. And its the same with Gohan.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:46 pm

rereboy wrote:
ABED wrote:It's not simple lack of experience, they are mentally immature. It's not a simple matter of telling them stuff. Their cognitive functions are still developing and while I'm no expert, I highly doubt a 4 year old is able to process what an academic truly does, much less want to be one, expect for if their parents want them to.
Please... Kim Ung-yong could read Japanese, Korean, German, English and other languages when he was three years old..
Source please.

I believe you, but I'd need a source
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Please... Kim Ung-yong could read Japanese, Korean, German, English and other languages when he was three years old..
Source please.

I believe you, but I'd need a source
You just had to search on google, not that hard... Here's three about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Ung-yong , http://www.woosk.com/2009/04/kim-ung-yo ... st-iq.html , http://nbnl.globalwhelming.com/2010/10/ ... a-is-crap/.

That's just an example. There are various child prodigy examples out there.

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:56 pm

]It's not simple lack of experience, they are mentally immature. It's not a simple matter of telling them stuff. Their cognitive functions are still developing and while I'm no expert, I highly doubt a 4 year old is able to process what an academic truly does, much less want to be one, expect for if their parents want them to.
That is not true. My favorite author, J.R.R. Tolkien could read well by age 4 and he was educated by his mother, Mabel during his early years. I think many children are more immature than they used to be because we coddle them more and treat them like they are helpless. While it is true four year olds are still developing, they are quite capable of understanding more than people give them credit for. I think back in the old days, young children matured faster due to how harsh life was.

A good example is the manga, Barefot Gen, a story about the bombing of Hiroshima. Granted the protagonist was six years old, he was quite resourceful and mature for a little kid and took care of his mother and newborn sister. Although fictional, the story and events are real because the author lived through all of the events in the manga and was the same age as Gen.

Anyway, Gohan is part saiyan and appears very intelligent for his age, so it's very possible he could be studying difficult material.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:41 pm

rereboy wrote:
Please... Kim Ung-yong could read Japanese, Korean, German, English and other languages when he was three years old. Just because that's not normal, it doesn't mean it can't happen. And its the same with Gohan.
That's not academia, that's language, and kids can soak up language when they are really young.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 am

ABED wrote:
rereboy wrote:
That's not academia, that's language, and kids can soak up language when they are really young.
Yeah? Well, that guy was a guest student of physics at Hanyang University from age 3 to age 6 and resolved complex mathematical problems at age 4 and 5, as you can read in the links I provided. I have no idea why you keep insisting on that narrow minded idea.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 am

Fine, I declare "uncle". Thought I still think it's implied that it was Chichi's desire, and not Gohan's initially. Perhaps I'm wrong, and Toriyama wrote Gohan as having a true desire to be a scholar, but I don't think that's so.

And it's not a narrow minded, the VAST majority of children aren't child prodigies. They are the exception, not the rule. Gohan might be, but it's not clear exactly, he does go to high school with kids his own age, whereas child prodigies often graduate college significantly earlier. He might be smart for his age, but it's not clear if Gohan's a genius. I think Chichi pushes him way too hard and is a tiger mom. That's consistent with her characterization as well. I think she got her ideas of being a mother from some book as well. I can imagine she read something about how mothers are supposed to make sure their kids get the best education, etc. Her whole idea of what romantic relationships didn't exactly come from first hand experience.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:57 am

Nozawa comments on Chichi:

And even after the battle with Vegeta, Bulma was the first to go over to Goku. Chi-Chi is his wife, but even she went over to Gohan, and I thought “What the hey?!” (laughs).

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ko_nozawa/

So I guess the real-life Goku herself doesn't seem to like that scene either.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:26 am

Kid Buu wrote:Nozawa comments on Chichi:

And even after the battle with Vegeta, Bulma was the first to go over to Goku. Chi-Chi is his wife, but even she went over to Gohan, and I thought “What the hey?!” (laughs).

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... ko_nozawa/

So I guess the real-life Goku herself doesn't seem to like that scene either.
Nobody really likes that scene.

People lack some common sense when it comes to that scene. The only reason Chi-Chi ran to Gohan is due to the following: Goku is a grown adult, whereas Gohan is just a child who is far more weaker and fragile than his father, so I never found it surprising that Chi-Chi was more concerned for Gohan. It's not out of favoritism (seriously?).

While I do think that Chi-Chi deserves criticism for ignoring Goku, I highly doubt that fans would criticize her if she ignored Gohan, despite the fact that he's a 4 year old child and children are more fragile than adults.