"Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden (3DS)

Post by Ajay » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:48 pm

mysticboy wrote:Oh. My. God. WHY THE FUCK DID MY DUMBASS TRADE MY 3DS?!!
Exactly how I'm feeling right now. I sold it not even a year ago and now this happens.

RIP.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:31 pm

I wanted a new Dragon Ball fighter developed by Arc System Works, but not like this, not like this ... :(

While 100 fighters concerns me, I'm most likely going to buy this game just to support games 2D Dragon Ball games. I'm weak. :oops:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned about that 100 fighters thing just yet. For all we know, that count could be taking support characters into account as well. I mean, considering the supports seem to be reaching as deep as Dr. Brief being included...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGameTagerZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGameTagerZ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheGameTagerZ wrote:Dicey translations lmao since when have we been dicey?
Hate to be "that guy", but since you asked...

We had been planning on translating the Famitsu review for XENOVERSE anyway, so we compared what you had after Julian went through and did his own. There were a whole bunch of instances of seemingly phrasing things in a way that implied more than was there, and then also missing the context entirely. For a couple concrete examples from just one of the four review paragraphs:

In Urara's review, there's a comment about the previous generation of consoles having a bit of slowdown with 3-on-3 battles. Your site's translation has this awkward phrasing of a full 3-on-3 fight being "antiquated" and then "the graphics really bring this into the new generation" when what's actually being said is that the graphics are pretty much on-par with each other across the two console generations. The biggest mis-translation there is a total mis-reading on the word "weight"; what's actually being said is that the game is overall weighted more toward online play, whereas your site's translation misses the boat and says there's "waiting" to be had with regard to looking for online matches.

It's that kind of stuff that prompts us to always refer back to the original Japanese text in these promotions and always do our own independent research, confirmation, and reporting. I know you've asked/submitted before, and that's why we do what we do.
Well I really asked him. Thanks though, definitely could of done better with the Famitsu one. It's not the same translator every time though to be fair.

Still though, this looked like something that would be more appropriate back when I pm'd you on Facebook. This was kind of a smug move in my opinion (like a really dickish way to address something). Even if you didn't mean it that's how this whole quote came out as.
Last edited by TheGameTagerZ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I wouldn't be too concerned about that 100 fighters thing just yet. For all we know, that count could be taking support characters into account as well. I mean, considering the supports seem to be reaching as deep as Dr. Brief being included...
That's what I'm betting as well, something like 40-50 fighters with the rest being Assists, which could work IMO. Really excited to see how this goes, while looking a lot like SSW2, the combat seems more grounded so maybe It really is ArcSys take on the Butouden series instead of the Sprite-Based DBZ Simulator they used to do?
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Friggin_Krillin

Post by Friggin_Krillin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:59 pm

No Sequel to AotS, but better then nothing. So.. A Game with an insane amount of Characters again? This one probably is the closest and most thinkable Product with that Premise, that actually sees the Light of the Day again. Without most of the Complaining that would occur on the Big Shots, i guess? The 3DS somehow tends to be the perfect System for this with the Retro Look and the Shenanigans with the Allies.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:For what it's worth, our translation of the DBZ Movie 7 title ("Kyokugen Batoru!! San Dai Sūpā Saiya-jin"} is "Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans". So if you've got a "Super" on top of the "Extreme"... I dunno? :P Of course, the person(s) responsible for our translation decisions are better suited for explaining the etymology and taking responsibility for our translation of the game's title :).
Oh, there's nothing wrong with "Extreme." Perfect translation. I just hate that word, so I was desperately trying for another valid English term for "究極." :P
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:04 pm

(in-character Vegeta) "Hmph. You guys are getting excited over this piece of crap? There's nothing appealing at all. Still waiting for the RPG about the Prince of all Saiyans, Vegeta-sama." *moving the feet in other direction with crossed arms close to the chest looking at glorious Xenoverse *
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:57 pm

I would die to have this released internationally cuz it'd give me a reason to pop open my 3DS. The Japanese seem to like keeping the good things to themselves especially with handhelds.

Sucks that Chi-Chi still isn't a playable character while weak-ass Mr. Satan and Videl apparently are but she's at least there for "Z Assist". Hopefully, her bitching will at least be useful (which seems to be Goku, Gohan and/or Goten unique).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Sucks that Chi-Chi still isn't a playable character while weak-ass Mr. Satan and Videl apparently are but she's at least there for "Z Assist". Hopefully, her bitching will at least be useful (which seems to be Goku, Gohan and/or Goten unique).
Chi Chi isn't exactly in hot contention for strongest human in Dragon Ball either.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:11 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:I would die to have this released internationally cuz it'd give me a reason to pop open my 3DS.
Same here, I only use mine for Pokémon games only, I haven't found anything else that seems worthy enough, maybe this game will change that if it comes overseas.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Sucks that Chi-Chi still isn't a playable character while weak-ass Mr. Satan and Videl apparently are but she's at least there for "Z Assist". Hopefully, her bitching will at least be useful (which seems to be Goku, Gohan and/or Goten unique).
Chi Chi isn't exactly in hot contention for strongest human in Dragon Ball either.
But she's a far more logical choice than those scrubs aside from maybe a story standpoint (at least in Mr. Satan's case). That's for sure.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
But she's a far more logical choice than those scrubs aside from maybe a story standpoint (at least in Mr. Satan's case). That's for sure.
Not really, Mr Satan is a beloved joke character and Videl can actually fight on Z levels. Chi Chi is just Chi Chi.
Doctor. wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:I would die to have this released internationally cuz it'd give me a reason to pop open my 3DS.
Same here, I only use mine for Pokémon games only, I haven't found anything else that seems worthy enough, maybe this game will change that if it comes overseas.
That sucks, for me the 3DS has a crap load of games I love and there are more coming out that I'm excited about, I'm absolutely stoked for Fire Emblem If for instance.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Nintendo of America's New 3DS-related stupidity has ended up dominating most of my gaming attention today, so I only just sat down to read about this, but...

A new DBZ fighter game for 3DS? Sprite-based 2D gameplay from the same folks who made the Supersonic Warriors titles? A really good shot at getting localized considering how extremely cool Bandai-Namco has been in that regard lately? :o

YES, PLEASE. This is just what I've been aching for.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:34 pm

MagicBox wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:For what it's worth, our translation of the DBZ Movie 7 title ("Kyokugen Batoru!! San Dai Sūpā Saiya-jin"} is "Extreme Battle!! The Three Great Super Saiyans". So if you've got a "Super" on top of the "Extreme"... I dunno? :P Of course, the person(s) responsible for our translation decisions are better suited for explaining the etymology and taking responsibility for our translation of the game's title :).
Oh, there's nothing wrong with "Extreme." Perfect translation. I just hate that word, so I was desperately trying for another valid English term for "究極." :P
Well, it says "Extreme Butouden" in Kana under the logo, so I guess we should just leave it at that?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:40 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Videl can actually fight on Z levels. Chi Chi is just Chi Chi.
Not a chance. Videl can't even take a bullet. She's lucky to even be able to hurt BoD Yamcha whereas Chi-Chi was considered impressive by Muten Roshi himself and was shown to be quite superhuman (with a PL of 130 or 137 in V-Jump).

From a fighting game roster standpoint, it's either have Chi-Chi or fuck them both.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:Videl can actually fight on Z levels. Chi Chi is just Chi Chi.
Not a chance. Videl can't even take a bullet. She's lucky to even be able to hurt BoD Yamcha whereas Chi-Chi was considered impressive by Muten Roshi himself and was shown to be quite superhuman (with a PL of 130 or 137 in V-Jump).

From a fighting game roster standpoint, it's either have Chi-Chi or fuck them both.
Aw, come on. How would Chi Chi be able to land a hit on Videl when Videl can fly? But even then, in a one-on-one fist, Videl or Mr Satan could stomp Chi Chi.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

I don't want to really bring this into a game thread, but I have to agree that Chi Chi would stomp the hell out of Mr. Satan or Videl (assuming she didn't take to the sky and stay there). Videl and Satan are repeatedly shocked by feats that characters like Goku, Kuririn and Chi Chi were doing super early in the series. Like when Gohan jumped into the air after that baseball. That's nothing compared to the heights characters were jumping into the sky for the 21st, 22nd and 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai events, and the look on Videl's face is clearly questioning how that is even possible.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Or you be a nice guy and include all of them. But seriously why isn't Chi-Chi playable, just take a few notes form her 23rd Budokai self and done.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 pm

Ryuman wrote:Well, it says "Extreme Butouden" in Kana under the logo, so I guess we should just leave it at that?
Ah. I didn't see the Kana originally.

Welp, I guess that's that.

I guess as long as it doesn't get localized as "Extreme Budokai" or "Extreme Tenkaichi" like someone mentioned a few pages ago, I'll be happy.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs