Should Goku stop being irresponsible jerk?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Should Goku stop being irresponsible jerk?

Post by Dbzk1999 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:52 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:The question is, would Buu saga Goku act this recklessly?
Buu Saga Goku threatened to blast Kaioshin when the latter tried to stop him from fight vegeta and unleashing buu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:54 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Hell yeah. Goku outright needlessly gambled with the lives of billions on three separate occasions in the Majin Boo arc. He was significantly responsible for a lot of awful shit to happen in that arc.
I dunno, or maybe it was just Seans portrayal of Goku because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have pulled a stunt like this. I got the vibe Goku was wanting to retire, or at least leave it up to the next generation to fight for Earth.
If Goku had any kind of idea of responsibility in the Majin Boo arc, he wouldn't have entertained Vegeta and greatly contributed to Majin Boo's resurrection and he would have killed Majin Boo as a SSJ3. Those were two big needless gambles Goku took and it lead to the entire human race being wiped out and the planet eventually being destroyed. Hell, it was pure fucking luck that Goku didn't die at the hands of Super Boo.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:55 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:
I dunno, or maybe it was just Seans portrayal of Goku because I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have pulled a stunt like this. I got the vibe Goku was wanting to retire, or at least leave it up to the next generation to fight for Earth.
It may not have been Multiple Universes of people. But he still gambled lives on something he wasn't entirely sure about.

He left it to the next generation because he was dead and wouldn't be around forever. Hell being dead means he shouldn't have even been around at all. Therefore makes sense if he left the duties of world saving to others.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Hell yeah. Goku outright needlessly gambled with the lives of billions on three separate occasions in the Majin Boo arc. He was significantly responsible for a lot of awful shit to happen in that arc.
If Goku had any kind of idea of responsibility in the Majin Boo arc, he wouldn't have entertained Vegeta and greatly contributed to Majin Boo's resurrection and he would have killed Majin Boo as a SSJ3. Those were two big needless gambles Goku took and it lead to the entire human race being wiped out and the planet eventually being destroyed. Hell, it was pure fucking luck that Goku didn't die at the hands of Super Boo.
Pretty much, it's why it baffles me that people actually defend his actions back in Z as if Super has made him do something Z Goku would never dare to do. The guy was completely aware of the crap he was doing in Z, and went ahead and did it anyway.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:42 am

I see Boo saga Goku as someone that wants to push the "saving the earth/universe" to someone since to him it felt like his friends rely on him too much, and he's not really into being the hero that saves the day, so yeah I'm sure he woulda pulled something like this even back then, what I'm surprised is him backing down when Beerus threatened him back in U6 arc, but him trollin Beerus while being threatened to get Hakai'd is definitely in character, it just shows why I like Goku and not the other modern shonen protags.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Buu Saga Goku threatened to blast Kaioshin when the latter tried to stop him from fight vegeta and unleashing buu
If Goku didn't threaten Kaioshin then Vegeta would continue to kill more people till he got a reaction out of Goku. Kaioshin was the reckless one there... as always.
Lord Beerus wrote:If Goku had any kind of idea of responsibility in the Majin Boo arc, he wouldn't have entertained Vegeta and greatly contributed to Majin Boo's resurrection and he would have killed Majin Boo as a SSJ3. Those were two big needless gambles Goku took and it lead to the entire human race being wiped out and the planet eventually being destroyed. Hell, it was pure fucking luck that Goku didn't die at the hands of Super Boo.
Goku explained that SSJ3 would've taken the time away he had on Earth left and Goku wanted to make sure the people on Earth were able to fend themselves when he was gone. After all, he was dead and didn't really have any business meddling in Earth's affairs in the first place.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I see Boo saga Goku as someone that wants to push the "saving the earth/universe" to someone since to him it felt like his friends rely on him too much, and he's not really into being the hero that saves the day, so yeah I'm sure he woulda pulled something like this even back then, what I'm surprised is him backing down when Beerus threatened him back in U6 arc, but him trollin Beerus while being threatened to get Hakai'd is definitely in character, it just shows why I like Goku and not the other modern shonen protags.
He didn't exactly back down in uni 6 tournament, he was in no condition to fight again let alone a god of destruction and he knew it, it was a smart decision
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote: If Goku had any kind of idea of responsibility in the Majin Boo arc, he wouldn't have entertained Vegeta and greatly contributed to Majin Boo's resurrection and he would have killed Majin Boo as a SSJ3. Those were two big needless gambles Goku took and it lead to the entire human race being wiped out and the planet eventually being destroyed. Hell, it was pure fucking luck that Goku didn't die at the hands of Super Boo.
Let's consider for a second that scenario. Let's think when Vegeta is ready to fight, in his SS2, after letting Babidi cast the spell over him and having killed hundreds of people in front of his wife, that Goku just turns SS3 and practically defeats Vegeta without even fighting. That would have devastated him. Goku cares about his friends, even when they go crazy like Vegeta in that instance. He would have been a jerk if he had done that.

Did he gamble with the lifes of millions. Maybe he did, but he had a backup plan. As it's been said in other comments, he had the fusion for the kids in mind, which would have been enough to defeat Boo, and if he had gone SS3, he would have spent the time he had left in Earth without teaching them the dance. It's also quite reasonable to let the next generations handle the menaces, as he wasn't supposed to be there.

About him threatening Shin. At most he would have thrown him a blast to get him out of the way, for god sake, he didn't kill Freezer, could anyone believe he would have killed Shin? He just couldn't let Vegeta continue murdering more spectators.
Heno heno kappa!

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:20 am

Basako wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: If Goku had any kind of idea of responsibility in the Majin Boo arc, he wouldn't have entertained Vegeta and greatly contributed to Majin Boo's resurrection and he would have killed Majin Boo as a SSJ3. Those were two big needless gambles Goku took and it lead to the entire human race being wiped out and the planet eventually being destroyed. Hell, it was pure fucking luck that Goku didn't die at the hands of Super Boo.
Let's consider for a second that scenario. Let's think when Vegeta is ready to fight, in his SS2, after letting Babidi cast the spell over him and having killed hundreds of people in front of his wife, that Goku just turns SS3 and practically defeats Vegeta without even fighting. That would have devastated him. Goku cares about his friends, even when they go crazy like Vegeta in that instance. He would have been a jerk if he had done that.

Did he gamble with the lifes of millions. Maybe he did, but he had a backup plan. As it's been said in other comments, he had the fusion for the kids in mind, which would have been enough to defeat Boo, and if he had gone SS3, he would have spent the time he had left in Earth without teaching them the dance. It's also quite reasonable to let the next generations handle the menaces, as he wasn't supposed to be there.

About him threatening Shin. At most he would have thrown him a blast to get him out of the way, for god sake, he didn't kill Freezer, could anyone believe he would have killed Shin? He just couldn't let Vegeta continue murdering more spectators.
Thank GOD someone gets it. Serious Goku KOs Vegeta who is already so pissed about Goku being stronger than him that he purposely gets possessed by Babidi. Goku disappears and now freak Majin Possessed Vegeta is the strongest being in the universe... and can go unchallenged. Yeah that's a easy better option than letting Majin Buu out. Of course Goku could kill him but not sure how that affects Bulma and Trunks. Trunks would likely grow up like his father and try to kill Gohan maybe Goten out of revenge but who knows.

Of course there's option C, try to talk Vegeta into fighting Majin Buu with him by obliging Vegeta first and and talking him off the ledge so he doesn't fall deeper into the dark side... sound like Goku might not be an idiot and have an actually plan but we all know that non idiot Goku isn't the "real" Goku.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:30 am

TheMikado wrote:
Basako wrote:

Thank GOD someone gets it. Serious Goku KOs Vegeta who is already so pissed about Goku being stronger than him that he purposely gets possessed by Babidi. Goku disappears and now freak Majin Possessed Vegeta is the strongest being in the universe... and can go unchallenged. Yeah that's a easy better option than letting Majin Buu out. Of course Goku could kill him but not sure how that affects Bulma and Trunks. Trunks would likely grow up like his father and try to kill Gohan maybe Goten out of revenge but who knows.

Of course there's option C, try to talk Vegeta into fighting Majin Buu with him by obliging Vegeta first and and talking him off the ledge so he doesn't fall deeper into the dark side... sound like Goku might not be an idiot and have an actually plan but we all know that non idiot Goku isn't the "real" Goku.
Yeah, that's even more I didn't think about.

Considering Goku doesn't kill Vegeta, he just defeats him, then his time is up. So Boo isn't resurrected, but an evil Vegeta remains there, with his pride ruined. What would have he done? I can't see him continuing like nothing happened after that. Maybe he would have entered an evil rage cycle and continued destroying Earth. At the best scenario, he would have left Earth forever and they wouldn't have seen him again. If Goku kills him, that's not very satisfactory either and that would have been devastating for Bulma and Trunks, which Goku cares a lot about too. I think he made the right choice, the C option was really the best, it had some risks, but still the best.
Heno heno kappa!

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

Draconic wrote:Should Goku change his entire personality and most interesting aspect of his character? No, or else you get GT Goku.
What's wrong with GT Goku? At least he didn't intentionally put the universe in danger.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm

King-K9 wrote:
Draconic wrote:Should Goku change his entire personality and most interesting aspect of his character? No, or else you get GT Goku.
What's wrong with GT Goku? At least he didn't intentionally put the universe in danger.
For a good fight, Goku would. He has dragon balls, he can just fix it. That's what he told bulma when Buu was about to kill her parents.

That's Goku. He has shown that side of himself time and time again. Hell, I put money that Goku would have done the same thing Vegeta did during the Cell saga.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Totamo wrote:
King-K9 wrote:
For a good fight, Goku would. He has dragon balls, he can just fix it. That's what he told bulma when Buu was about to kill her parents.

That's Goku. He has shown that side of himself time and time again. Hell, I put money that Goku would have done the same thing Vegeta did during the Cell saga.
What does that have to do with GT Goku?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Totamo wrote:
King-K9 wrote: What's wrong with GT Goku? At least he didn't intentionally put the universe in danger.

What does that have to do with GT Goku?
GT Goku if I can remember correctly never really fought for the sake of fighting, but for other people. When before it was coincidence that he saved lives.The only other reason he fought was vengeance

You can say that's development all you want to but that does change the character from what he represents. The fighter who strives to be the best for the sake of it.

There is only one time in Z, Goku fought for another and that was with raditz. For his son.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Totamo wrote:GT Goku if I can remember correctly never really fought for the sake of fighting, but for other people. When before it was coincidence that he saved lives.The only other reason he fought was vengeance

You can say that's development all you want to but that does change the character from what he represents. The fighter who strives to be the best for the sake of it.

There is only one time in Z, Goku fought for another and that was with raditz. For his son.
Goku explicatively stated he was fighting Freeza for the sake of the Saiyans and Namekians. He also gave his life twice to save Earth and was given the special treatment in the afterlife for doing various heroic deeds.
Totamo wrote:For a good fight, Goku would. He has dragon balls, he can just fix it. That's what he told bulma when Buu was about to kill her parents.

But Goku wasn't letting Bulma's parents killed for the sake of a good fight. He was training Goten and Trunks to learn fusion which was very important.

And yes... prepare to lose that money and learn to come correct next time.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Totamo wrote: For a good fight, Goku would. He has dragon balls, he can just fix it. That's what he told bulma when Buu was about to kill her parents.
No, that wasn't even remotely the same thing. You're pulling that outta your ass. What happened there was that they had to risk lives to save lives. They had to let Buu kill some people so they could buy time to actually defeat him, so it was entirely for the greater good. Hell, it had nothing to do with Goku getting a good fight since at that point the goal was to have Gotenks beat Buu.

DBZAOTA Covered pretty much everything wrong with your other claims, but I felt like this one needed expanded on a bit...
That's Goku. He has shown that side of himself time and time again.
Nope. Rewatch the series. It seems like DBS has brainwashed you, dude. :thumbdown:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm

This whole "Vegeta would have fallen deeper into the emotional abyss if Goku used SSJ3 against him" angle is quite frankly absurd. Vegeta was angry at Goku for not going all out in their battle. That was biggest insult to Vegeta. Not that idea he would have been easily defeat by SSJ3 Goku. I don know why people keep ignoring what's stated in the manga for for sake of perpetuating this whole theory that Vegeta would have been emotionally broken over Goku using when it is directly contracted by what's stated in the original story.

Vegeta was clearly been desperate for more power to close gap in strength between him and Goku, but as we later found out, what was Vegeta was far upset over more was Goku not using SSJ3. Vegeta made it very clear that he prioritises losing with dignity in the fact of his opponent fighting with all they have rather than trying the close the gap in power. He was lead to believe to he was facing Goku at his full power but he wasn't. That is what angered Vegeta the most. He was more than willing to essentially make a deal with the devil to catch up with Goku but the fact that Goku did not essentially fight with everything he had, made Vegeta feel as though Goku was mocking him and made his deal with the devil meaningless. Vegeta may have some fucked up priorities, but that's how he view them.

Vegeta may be/may have been somewhat immature in his manor of reacting to those who are stronger to him, but he's not some emotional basket where people need to walk on eggshells to ensure he doesn't the handle with the slightest direct on indirect provocation. If Goku defeats Vegeta, kills Majin Boo and returns the afterlife, nothing would really happen after that. Vegeta take pride in that he lost to Goku at his absolute best, the wish back all the people killed by Vegeta, he's easily forgiven again for his actions, and then he just goes back to training in hopes of becoming a SSJ3 like Goku, with no a new goal to reach his life. And what's to say that Goku can pull in another favour with the Gods in the other-realm and the afterlife, considering how much leverage he seems to have with them, and have Vegeta train with him?

There was no excuse for Goku not to use SSJ3, and even Vegeta acknowledges that in-universe. On top of that, the excuse that Goku gives for not using SSJ3 is incredibly lousy. There was no reason at all for him to keep SSJ3 in his back pocket that time. What was Goku saving it for? The current threat that was endangering the planet was right there and then, and he could have prevented it, and he chose not to. And it leads to billions of people dying and Earth being destroyed.

At the end of the day, this notion that if Vegeta saw Goku go SSJ3 that it would have thrown him way more into the deep end is bullshit. Vegeta wouldn't have cared. Hell, he would have welcomed it. Remember when Vegeta pulled out all the stops to make Cell perfect so that his battle against would be more of a challenge and interesting? That's the same Vegeta we see during his Majin phase. If Goku really understood Vegeta in that scenario, he would have turned SSJ3 in his fight against Vegeta. But he didn't. And Vegeta hated him for that. What Goku did was selfish and reckless. And it also goes to show he's can be a really bad judge of character.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:This whole "Vegeta would have fallen deeper into the emotional abyss if Goku used SSJ3 against him" angle is quite frankly absurd. Vegeta was angry at Goku for not going all out in their battle. That was biggest insult to Vegeta. Not that idea he would have been easily defeat by SSJ3 Goku. I don know why people keep ignoring what's stated in the manga for for sake of perpetuating this whole theory that Vegeta would have been emotionally broken over Goku using when it is directly contracted by what's stated in the original story.

Vegeta was clearly been desperate for more power to close gap in strength between him and Goku, but as we later found out, what was Vegeta was far upset over more was Goku not using SSJ3. Vegeta made it very clear that he prioritises losing with dignity in the fact of his opponent fighting with all they have rather than trying the close the gap in power. He was lead to believe to he was facing Goku at his full power but he wasn't. That is what angered Vegeta the most. He was more than willing to essentially make a deal with the devil to catch up with Goku but the fact that Goku did not essentially fight with everything he had, made Vegeta feel as though Goku was mocking him and made his deal with the devil meaningless. Vegeta may have some fucked up priorities, but that's how he view them.

Vegeta may be/may have been somewhat immature in his manor of reacting to those who are stronger to him, but he's not some emotional basket where people need to walk on eggshells to ensure he doesn't the handle with the slightest direct on indirect provocation. If Goku defeats Vegeta, kills Majin Boo and returns the afterlife, nothing would really happen after that. Vegeta take pride in that he lost to Goku at his absolute best, the wish back all the people killed by Vegeta, he's easily forgiven again for his actions, and then he just goes back to training in hopes of becoming a SSJ3 like Goku, with no a new goal to reach his life. And what's to say that Goku can pull in another favour with the Gods in the other-realm and the afterlife, considering how much leverage he seems to have with them, and have Vegeta train with him?

There was no excuse for Goku not to use SSJ3, and even Vegeta acknowledges that in-universe. On top of that, the excuse that Goku gives for not using SSJ3 is incredibly lousy. There was no reason at all for him to keep SSJ3 in his back pocket that time. What was Goku saving it for? The current threat that was endangering the planet was right there and then, and he could have prevented it, and he chose not to. And it leads to billions of people dying and Earth being destroyed.

At the end of the day, this notion that if Vegeta saw Goku go SSJ3 that it would have thrown him way more into the deep end is bullshit. Vegeta wouldn't have cared. Hell, he would have welcomed it. Remember when Vegeta pulled out all the stops to make Cell perfect so that his battle against would be more of a challenge and interesting? That's the same Vegeta we see during his Majin phase. If Goku really understood Vegeta in that scenario, he would have turned SSJ3 in his fight against Vegeta. But he didn't. And Vegeta hated him for that. What Goku did was selfish and reckless. And it also goes to show he's can be a really bad judge of character.
But that makes no sense, the ENTIRE reason Vegeta went to these extremes was to surpass Goku. Realistically, after coming this far do you really think Vegeta was going to say "oh well, I guess you really are better than me?" after waking up from being KO'ed and still Majin possessed? Of course h could have just out right killed Vegeta but it seemed like he was trying to get Vegeta to work together with him so I'm not too sure that's what he wanted. So the question is Goku goes SSJ3 and then what? What is the realistic aftermath of this scenario you are proposing?

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:41 am

TheMikado wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:This whole "Vegeta would have fallen deeper into the emotional abyss if Goku used SSJ3 against him" angle is quite frankly absurd. Vegeta was angry at Goku for not going all out in their battle. That was biggest insult to Vegeta. Not that idea he would have been easily defeat by SSJ3 Goku. I don know why people keep ignoring what's stated in the manga for for sake of perpetuating this whole theory that Vegeta would have been emotionally broken over Goku using when it is directly contracted by what's stated in the original story.

But that makes no sense, the ENTIRE reason Vegeta went to these extremes was to surpass Goku. Realistically, after coming this far do you really think Vegeta was going to say "oh well, I guess you really are better than me?" after waking up from being KO'ed and still Majin possessed? Of course h could have just out right killed Vegeta but it seemed like he was trying to get Vegeta to work together with him so I'm not too sure that's what he wanted. So the question is Goku goes SSJ3 and then what? What is the realistic aftermath of this scenario you are proposing?

He kicks Vegeta's ass, then Kick Dabra's ass, prevents Majin Buu..........
Vegeta starts training again to surpass Goku, the end.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 am

Goku's gonna stop being irresponsible when all the Dragon Balls get annihilated and he can't fix any bad consequence of his actions.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):