Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Night Owl

Re: Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Post by Night Owl » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 pm

I think I am beginning to take the view that turning Super Saiyan is a momentary reaction to certain circumstances and that there is no guarantee of retaining that power. I said in another thread that I have only recently returned to DB forums (since losing touch in about 2006). In the past, I used to believe that reaching massive power meant that people could find it again with little to no effort. Gohan is the case in point - when he fights Dabura in Z, he isn't QUITE as powerful as when he fought Cell, but he is still able to achieve SSJ2 fairly easily. Fast forward to Super, and he is jobbing out to Ginyu in a slightly tarted up body.

Actually, as someone who is watching through Super for the first time, I was a bit flummoxed by the fight with Tagoma. I have no idea how 2002 me would have reacted to this. I would have been disgusted no doubt :lol:
"You know it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile?"
"...you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone?"

GamerSkull
Regular

Re: Any major opinions of yours that have changed throughout the years? If so what triggered the change?

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Alright... maybe that one isn't a contradiction.

But it was just an example of many other holes I felt were in the story afterwards and places where the writing wasn't exactly up to snuff.

And I'm not sure how I feel about Vegeta having earned his redemption after the Buu arc. His sacrifice scene, while great, doesn't really change how I felt about his earlier actions in the awakening of Buu, especially when it seems he was quite aware of most of his actions. But we're probably just gonna have to agree to disagree there. However, him (and some others), attaining SSJ kind of ruins the way I saw the transformation. When I was young and saw this, I always thought it was pretty neat... but nowadays it just irks me somewhat.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am

Z movies are kind of terrible and Battle of gods is actually the best one.

My opinion used to be that Battle of Gods was ok and z movies were fun but looking back, most of them kind of just ripped of the main series sagas, turn Goku into a bigger plot dveice and never had one fun villain.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:The part where Goku fights Beerus is great, but that's exactly the problem too. I haven't timed it but it seems like more than half the movie is Beerus just being a jerk to people with the 'Battle of Gods' being squeezed in right at the end. Hell, Super Saiyan God is built up throughout the movie and lasts what, maybe 10 minutes? The Battle of Gods arc didn't always look so hot but I felt like it did a much better job fleshing out the concepts that it introduced and gave fair play to both the comedy and the fight with Beerus.
I actually watched the retelling 3 times, JPN broadcast, Dub broadcast and then home video. It is not perfect by any means and in fixing somethings (mainly allowing the audience to get into a fight) it does accentuate other flaws the movie had, namely the time wasting is more apparent and the slapstick style comedy is in more abundance here (and the modern art style flawed up in the arc too seeing how hard it is for animators to be consistent). BoG arc though does a better job of setting Beerus up as a threat, in the movie we are told he is and sure he KO's people but there isn't really that sense of danger from him other than he is strong but seeing him blow up planets etc beforehand it does a better job and gives better context as to why Vegeta etc are worried.

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:46 pm

I used to hate GT.
But with this new age of Dragon Ball.
I appreciate that GT marked the end of the classic era now.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:30 am

Ozotto wrote:I used to hate GT.
So do you think you like GT more than Super?

I've been mulling over both of them recently (although I am still not fully caught up with Super).
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Ozotto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ozotto » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 pm

GamerSkull wrote:

I've been mulling over both of them recently (although I am still not fully caught up with Super).
I don't know, I've only seen Super in Japanese so far.
I'm enjoying Super.

I'm still mulling it over too. They both did things I love and hate.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Ozotto wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:

I don't know, I've only seen Super in Japanese so far.
I'm enjoying Super.

I'm still mulling it over too. They both did things I love and hate.
Yeah, a part of me likes the ideas of the continuation in GT more.

But another part of me likes the stuff shown in Super too.

Unfortunately, I don't think I like either of them all that much when it comes down to them as a whole.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:03 am

As a series after the U6 arc I was done with DBS yet decided to check out the Trunks arc opening episode... Now I adore the series completely even have a soft spot for the retellings (well the BoG one at least). I've actually come to enjoy the series as a whole more than Z which others may see as hersey but to me Z isn't fun and to me DB is best being fun, not to say I don't like Z but Z takes a lot out of you and slowly I think Toriyama realised this given the Buu arc and now modern DB sure the Trunks arc is pretty bleak but that's not the entirity of DBS.

Personal rankings of series would be:
Original Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT.

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:04 am

I used to really dislike the OG Dragon Ball, thinking it was very boring and dumb. I rewatched it 2015 (before Super premiered) and immediately changed my mind. I thought it was very fun and entertaining. I started rewatching it again at the start of the year and I still think it's awesome.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.