Special One Piece and Dragonball Crossover in WSJ #4 - 5

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:19 pm

I, for one, am a big fan of all manga/anime currently in question, so I'm just sitting back and enjoying the show. It's kinda nice when you can do that without feeling as if you have to defend one thing or another.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:50 am

Jerseymilk wrote:For the people that say they think One Piece is stupid or just plain don't like it, why are you even taking the time to post to this thread? Hey it's cool with me if it's not your thing, but I hardly see how you posting *just* to remark that you don't like it adds anything constructive to the thread. :? I'm not as heavily into the DB video games as other people are here, but you don't see me wasting my time and posting to a thread discussing news about just say, Super Butoden 3, just to say, "Well I really don't know what all the hype is about. I think this game is stupid."

Conversely, the OP fans who are putting down other series such as Bleach and Naruto aren't making themselves look any better. I get so tired of these stupid "back and forth, tit for tat" games that anime fans of various series play. It doesn't get anyone anywhere by slamming what the opposing person is into.
I couldn't have put it better myself. By just saying One Piece sucks (or anime/manga in general) in a well established & respected forum that often tries to avoid such delinquent/half-assed/ignorant remarks/behavior is degrading & just proves that we as board members are no better than the anime snobs out there. Still, by any means, one is entitled to his/her own opinion.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:53 am

Jerseymilk wrote:Conversely, the OP fans who are putting down other series such as Bleach and Naruto aren't making themselves look any better. I get so tired of these stupid "back and forth, tit for tat" games that anime fans of various series play. It doesn't get anyone anywhere by slamming what the opposing person is into.
Erhm...I duuno if this was directed at me or not, but I didn't mention Bleach and Naruto to "get back at so-and-so" as you say. I don't even know if BrollysKin even likes the mentioned series. :P

So, do you guys think Oda/Toriyama will just go the comedic route or mix things up with a villian crossover and have a fight like the Enel VS Goku and Luffy anime short?

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:49 pm

Cutting in here, the only One Piece info that I know is when the team found this guy who was protecting a sick girl or something and the butler was a real asshole and right before a fight was going to happen, the chapter cut off. Does anybody know what characters (what scene actually) I was talking about? Also, was that dipping too far into the series?
-Rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:56 pm

Mr.Piccolo wrote:Cutting in here, the only One Piece info that I know is when the team found this guy who was protecting a sick girl or something and the butler was a real asshole and right before a fight was going to happen, the chapter cut off. Does anybody know what characters (what scene actually) I was talking about? Also, was that dipping too far into the series?
-Rick
You're talking about crewmate Usopp's introduction arc, which is relatively early in the story. The butler, in reality pirate Captain Kuro (long thought dead), had been posing as such for years, and was attempting to force the girl (Kaya) to leave him her inherited wealth in a will, and then murder her while making it look accidental. Cliché, but classic. Needless to say, things ended up peachy once Luffy beat the crap out of Kuro.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Caracal
Regular

Post by Caracal » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Sebastian (SB) wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:For the people that say they think One Piece is stupid or just plain don't like it, why are you even taking the time to post to this thread? Hey it's cool with me if it's not your thing, but I hardly see how you posting *just* to remark that you don't like it adds anything constructive to the thread. :? I'm not as heavily into the DB video games as other people are here, but you don't see me wasting my time and posting to a thread discussing news about just say, Super Butoden 3, just to say, "Well I really don't know what all the hype is about. I think this game is stupid."

Conversely, the OP fans who are putting down other series such as Bleach and Naruto aren't making themselves look any better. I get so tired of these stupid "back and forth, tit for tat" games that anime fans of various series play. It doesn't get anyone anywhere by slamming what the opposing person is into.
I couldn't have put it better myself. By just saying One Piece sucks (or anime/manga in general) in a well established & respected forum that often tries to avoid such delinquent/half-assed/ignorant remarks/behavior is degrading & just proves that we as board members are no better than the anime snobs out there. Still, by any means, one is entitled to his/her own opinion.
I also agree. I've read a large number of series including big name ones like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach and ones with less popularity like D.Gray-Man and Reborn. Truth be told while I do obviously have my favourites, I don't feel any of them are terrible. Yes I feel there are elements that a series uses which in my humble opinion can at times make them cliche and samey and ultimately I think slightly lesser of them than I do other series, but I still spend my money on them, I still have every intention to continue collecitng them showing I do still enjoy them.

And while I do agree people deserve their own opinion, read say a chapter or watching an episode then saying its bad is not the way to go in my opinion. Take One Piece for example. In the first few arcs you get some that aren't overly great (Kreig) and some that are fabulous (Arlong). After a rocky start, the chapters that make up Arlong and Louge/Rougetown show just how wonderful the series is. And with Narutp, I feel the first arc (Zabuza)is very good, while the start of the Chunin exam is a bit of a slump which picks up at around the third round and starts to become very enjoyable again. In my opinion it’s impossible to truly judge a series until you’ve read at least 100 chapters and probably watched about 50 or so episodes as so much can happen in them.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:53 pm

I dunno if this was posted, if so.... bit me. I dun care.

It will be 19 pages and will have a color page.
(One Piece also has color and a 10th anniversary poster, fuck yes I am buying the issue!)
- Life is a game, play it!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Nineteen pages?! Pretty nice. :3

The manga series I'm currently following seem to becoming to a close. If I were to pick up One Piece, is there any single volume more exciting than the others? I know the series up to about where Chopper comes in I think.

Is Ms. Nozawa really that old lady doctor who's with him? O_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:27 am

Honestly, I would say the anime is a bad way to get into One Piece. If it wasn't for the manga, sure I would like OP... but it wouldn't be my favorite. I find myself rereading the manga at least once a year. It makes sense to start at volume 1. I liked One Piece when I read the first few volumes, but volume 9 (Arlong arc), is what REALLY pulled me in.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:56 am

I loved the Don Krieg & Kuro stuff. That's what pulled me in. I'd recommend starting at Vol. 5-6.

Yes, Ms. Nozawa does the voice of Dr. Kureha.
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:12 am

Brad Redfield wrote:
BrollysKin wrote:I tried reading the manga but after the first 4 I just stopped.

It was too fucking goofy.
...then how would you know about the reindeer? He doesn't appear until volume 16/17. Unless someone has been spoiling the series for you I suppose.
I saw part of the 4Kids dub. My little sister knows the whole rap by heart. Why does everyone hate the 4Kids dub anyway?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:36 am

For some reason the 4Kids dub of One Piece reminds me of what happened to pkmn way back ago when I used to watch it (this is easily 7 to 9 years ago I'm trying to recall) :
-purposely goofy voices
-many, many title puns
-dialogue dummed down
-poorly done editing/cropping/coloring over

I shall definately look into later volumes of OP next time I get up to the mall.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:20 am

BrollysKin wrote: Why does everyone hate the 4Kids dub anyway?
Bad editing, Bad voices, overexaggeration on puns, bad music & theme, & in your words
It was too fucking goofy.
While One Piece is generally comedic, it's also just as dramatic & action packed with adventure. Pretty much everything is raped from the original version & in some cases, strays away from the original storyline.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:27 am

Considering (spoiler) now Franky's officially joined up with the crew, this thing should be 10 different kinds of hilarious.

Ironically, my interest in One Piece was sparked by when it was put on FoxBox. I KNEW about it for a long while thanks to Shonen Jump, but I really had no interest in it until I watched the anime. I was well aware of how 4Kids operated at the time, so I knew it was edited and what-not, but I enjoyed it for what it was. I started to get the Japanese episodes from K-F around when they were finishing the Arlong Arc on Saturday mornings, and then I caught up pretty quickly and zipped past where we are in America. Just goes to show you people get sucked into anime in ways you wouldn't believe.

In fact, it was actually BECAUSE of Daizenshuu EX that I actually understood why they made Luffy sound like he does in the english dub. I had seen the 'real DBAF clip' with the little bits from other anime, and heard Luffy speaking with Kuririn's Japanese voice. Then when I saw the preview commercial for the OP dub on FoxBox one morning where Luffy spoke, I instantly put it together. They were TRYING to make his english voice faithful to his Japanese counterpart, but failed miserably.

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:50 am

Chuquita wrote: I shall definately look into later volumes of OP next time I get up to the mall.
Ah... I didn't buy the volumes in English for a reason. I'm trying to think what good translations are though that are available.... all I can think of is Stephen's scripts which is perfect for people like me who buy the tanks (and yes, I consider these online scripts good, the translator is good... he does translations for Beck for the Tokyopop release... so not some college student thinking he is fluent).

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:07 am

Chuquita wrote:The manga series I'm currently following seem to becoming to a close. If I were to pick up One Piece, is there any single volume more exciting than the others? I know the series up to about where Chopper comes in I think.

Is Ms. Nozawa really that old lady doctor who's with him? O_O
I'd say start from the very beginning, IMO. I was hooked from the start and its much more rewarding to expierence it all in order.

And yes, Nozawa does indeed play that character. :P

And I can't wait to see that 10th Anniversary poster. That's going to kick ass.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:01 pm

Brad Redfield wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:Conversely, the OP fans who are putting down other series such as Bleach and Naruto aren't making themselves look any better. I get so tired of these stupid "back and forth, tit for tat" games that anime fans of various series play. It doesn't get anyone anywhere by slamming what the opposing person is into.
Erhm...I duuno if this was directed at me or not, but I didn't mention Bleach and Naruto to "get back at so-and-so" as you say. I don't even know if BrollysKin even likes the mentioned series. :P
It wasn't personally directed at you. I meant in general since that's usually what these arguments degenerate into.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:17 pm

I do it too, and I admit it and stand with my views. I put Naruto down especially since I simply hate it and find myself rereading already done stuff. (Like the big Rasengan move is just like that dude from Ninku who is also ninja and can control wind.... Hunter Exam -> Chuunin exam.... too much stuff that it gives me headaches. Bleach I like, but it needs to stop with the rescue the damsel bit. So I'll admit I am one of those fans... but I have reasons and don't say it for the hell of things.

Anyways, people can like whatever the hell they want. That should be the bottom line. Whether I chuckle at decisions is another story.

Only 2 more weeks.

DaftBrian

Cool

Post by DaftBrian » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 am

I want to look cool and have a post in this forum
"Every time you cry, I laugh a little more"

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:18 am

Zackarotto wrote: I weep for you people...
No need to weep. It's just that I'm a DB fan, not an anime fan. I'm sure One Piece is a great series, I just don't have any interest in it. Although I will admit this cross over manga sounds interesting.