Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:57 am

That's great and all, but everything so far has either been expressionless or serieous when it comes to Chatwin's Goku. I think, to make more people happy, they also need to release some pics of him being the happy-go-lucky Son Goku as well.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:51 am

Onikage725 wrote: Sorry Captain Awesome. You just hit a pet peeve of mine. My statements, aside from the first line, aren't directed at you.
Oh it's fine, and just so you know, I don't hate all the films the Wachowski brothers made (I found V for Vendetta enjoyable enough) But I hated Speedracer for legitimate reasons, I could go on about pacing, direction and tone not to mention the cinematography and the visuals, but I won't because this isn't the place.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:13 am

Big Momma wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:Give me one shot of him looking like this:
And I won't say a word against Chatwin until I see the movie.
I can't say I've seen what where he looks like that, but he does look like this:

Well, not exactly like that, but the same expression.
Kendamu wrote:That's great and all, but everything so far has either been expressionless or serieous when it comes to Chatwin's Goku. I think, to make more people happy, they also need to release some pics of him being the happy-go-lucky Son Goku as well.
Exactly. Chatwin has been pretty blank looking in every photo so far. Besides, bad ass Goku should be saved for the sequel poster.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:26 am

djkalteraphine wrote: Exactly. Chatwin has been pretty blank looking in every photo so far. Besides, bad ass Goku should be saved for the sequel poster.
I agree, now is the time to establish Goku as a happy-go-lucky kid, not a solemn superman knockoff.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:12 am

Let's just hope that when the ad campaign kicks into full gear we see a different side of the character.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:57 pm

And... really... I still have trouble with the concept of "Goku in his civvies." Goku has civvies? Goku wears a gi. To get more comfy, he wears nothing. "Civvies" are things he is forced to wear because someone dragged him into polite society. I'm still supporting the film and have hope for it, but taking the naive country bumpkin and making him an awkward high school kid is basically turning Goku into Gohan. Marketing to Chatwin fangirls for this would be like the Dark Knight campaign trying to market shots of Christian Bale photo ops.
As far as Chatwin's Goku possibly being nothing like the original, I think it's important to remember that the main characters in the Spider-Man films were almost nothing like the originals either. The only way those movies were faithful towards the comic books was in their use of the major themes in the story, as well as in setting and tone.

As for Chatwin's expression in the poster, well, the plot to this film does sound fairly serious. Also like someone else said, for an early promotional image for an action-adventure film, it seems appropriate that he would have a serious expression on his face. It doesn't seem so out of character for Toriyama's Goku. Plus it's just an early poster; there could be much more characterization we haven't seen yet.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:02 pm

MyVisionity wrote:
And... really... I still have trouble with the concept of "Goku in his civvies." Goku has civvies? Goku wears a gi. To get more comfy, he wears nothing. "Civvies" are things he is forced to wear because someone dragged him into polite society. I'm still supporting the film and have hope for it, but taking the naive country bumpkin and making him an awkward high school kid is basically turning Goku into Gohan. Marketing to Chatwin fangirls for this would be like the Dark Knight campaign trying to market shots of Christian Bale photo ops.
As far as Chatwin's Goku possibly being nothing like the original, I think it's important to remember that the main characters in the Spider-Man films were almost nothing like the originals either. The only way those movies were faithful towards the comic books was in their use of the major themes in the story, as well as in setting and tone.
But, they still got the "nerd got Spider Powers and likes to feel guilty about everything all the time" part of his character down really well. Sure, he wasn't that witty like Spidey is in the comics, but that's the biggest difference. The stuff I mentioned about Pete's basic personality still applied. So, let's hope that Goku's basic personality (happy-go-lucky and a little naive) makes it into the film as well.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote:As far as Chatwin's Goku possibly being nothing like the original, I think it's important to remember that the main characters in the Spider-Man films were almost nothing like the originals either. The only way those movies were faithful towards the comic books was in their use of the major themes in the story, as well as in setting and tone.
The only thing different about the film's Peter and the original comic book's Peter is one was written for a more mature audience. I'm a huge Spidey fan, I've read all the original run a few times. Those movies were way more faithful to the book's characters than this movie's going to be, I don't doubt.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:16 pm

It seems that Chatwin is not new to working around Dragonball material.

Here's a shot from War of the Worlds that cleary shows a toy Pilaf riding in Mr. Satan's car in Rachel's room.

Found on Dragonball Arena.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm

djkalteraphine wrote: The only thing different about the film's Peter and the original comic book's Peter is one was written for a more mature audience. I'm a huge Spidey fan, I've read all the original run a few times. Those movies were way more faithful to the book's characters than this movie's going to be, I don't doubt.
You say that, but then the first movie lets MJ steal Gwen Stacey's big moment, and then SURVIVES IT.

Thats not maturity to me, thats just being an ass, I could go on about how Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker utterly failed in my eyes (wooden performance, no decent quippage) the character wasn't relatable at all (though I could also go on for an eternity about has been done to 616 Spidey) anymore, but I wont.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:34 pm

Kendamu wrote:So, let's hope that Goku's basic personality (happy-go-lucky and a little naive) makes it into the film as well.
Absolutely. Apart from wanting that for myself, since its Goku's true character, I also feel like it would make the movie appeal to more of the general public. I'm tired of the same old superhero movies that have been coming out. Something different would be nice, and may help the movie succeed...

But thats where I'm a little conflicted. While I want the movie to succeed because I love Dragonball, I also want it to fail massively so that it won't attract a whole bunch of idiots to the series who think they know all about Dragonball because of one movie they saw, telling me about this new show they've discovered, and turning Dragonball into a new fad. I'm happy with the Dragonball community as is. While its not overly large (atleast from what I've seen), its fans are genuine. I know its childish. But I'm very protective of Dragonball for some reason.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:49 am

Captain Awesome wrote: You say that, but then the first movie lets MJ steal Gwen Stacey's big moment, and then SURVIVES IT.

Thats not maturity to me, thats just being an ass, I could go on about how Tobey Macguire's Peter Parker utterly failed in my eyes (wooden performance, no decent quippage) the character wasn't relatable at all (though I could also go on for an eternity about has been done to 616 Spidey) anymore, but I wont.
That's not quite the same thing as what we're discussing with Goku. Pete, in the movies, was an akward high school kid with a crush on MJ and no confidence. Freak accident with the radioactive spider, and suddenly he's wrestling for petty cash but he has an attitude. His uncle dies, he learns his lesson and sobers up, comes up with his super hero persona. And he did quip-
"That's a cute outfit! Did your husband make it for you?"
"Who are you?" "You know who I am" "I do?" "You're friendly neighborhood Spiderman!"
My fav was when he webbed JJ's mouth and said, "Hey, kiddo. Let Mom and Dad talk for a minute, will ya?" before confronting the Green Goblin.

Yeah, there's less of it than in the comics, but that's because its a movie. Comic Spidey spends time angsting as well. As far as the MJ/Gwen change, I'm not sure how Peter not accidentally killing her makes him an ass... but that is far from the biggest alteration a comic book has seen in a film adaptation. But we aren't talking about events happening differently to suit the film, we're talking about Goku's characterization and back story. Characterization- we need a trailer. Back story- we already know his history on Earth has been fucked six ways from Sunday.

We can't really compare that to Spiderman. Like or hate the films, they did, on paper, have the basics down.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:48 am

Onikage725 wrote: That's not quite the same thing as what we're discussing with Goku.
I was complaining in general, not stating parallels.
Kid Trunks wrote: But thats where I'm a little conflicted. While I want the movie to succeed because I love Dragonball, I also want it to fail massively so that it won't attract a whole bunch of idiots to the series who think they know all about Dragonball because of one movie they saw, telling me about this new show they've discovered, and turning Dragonball into a new fad.
One of my pet peeves is the hipster douchebag crowd jumping on the whole cartoons\old videogames\comic books bandwagon of late.

These people don't read comics, they don't watch cartoons, they just enjoy being perceived as being into those mediums, because it's "cool".

I didn't go through high school pretending to like football, why the fuck do I have to put up with a friend of a friend tell me how "cool and retro" G1 Transformers is, just because he has that one Optimus Prime T-shirt.

Stay off my turf you pretentious little fuckers.

/End rant

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:01 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Found on Dragonball Arena.
:shock:

Holy, that site is still alive?

And Captain Awesome speaks too truthfully.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:55 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Onikage725 wrote: That's not quite the same thing as what we're discussing with Goku.
I was complaining in general, not stating parallels.
Kid Trunks wrote: But thats where I'm a little conflicted. While I want the movie to succeed because I love Dragonball, I also want it to fail massively so that it won't attract a whole bunch of idiots to the series who think they know all about Dragonball because of one movie they saw, telling me about this new show they've discovered, and turning Dragonball into a new fad.
One of my pet peeves is the hipster douchebag crowd jumping on the whole cartoons\old videogames\comic books bandwagon of late.

These people don't read comics, they don't watch cartoons, they just enjoy being perceived as being into those mediums, because it's "cool".

I didn't go through high school pretending to like football, why the fuck do I have to put up with a friend of a friend tell me how "cool and retro" G1 Transformers is, just because he has that one Optimus Prime T-shirt.

Stay off my turf you pretentious little fuckers.

/End rant

Man, I hate people that act like that. The funny part is, most of those types today weren't even born in the same decade.
Trans rights, now!

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:18 pm

One of the things that will irritate me, is if I show a picture of Goku to someone and they would say "That's not Goku!, this guy is!" or "Cartoon Goku looks stupid,,,," or the worst one "They made a cartoon about it?".
That one will set me off.

I wanna see the movie, yet at the same time, I don't want it to exist.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:55 pm

Kid Trunks wrote: But thats where I'm a little conflicted. While I want the movie to succeed because I love Dragonball, I also want it to fail massively so that it won't attract a whole bunch of idiots to the series who think they know all about Dragonball because of one movie they saw, telling me about this new show they've discovered, and turning Dragonball into a new fad. I'm happy with the Dragonball community as is. While its not overly large (atleast from what I've seen), its fans are genuine. I know its childish. But I'm very protective of Dragonball for some reason.
You say you don't want the movie to attract new fans, but weren't you a new fan yourself at some point? Unless you were reading along with the original Japanese manga as it was released, there was always someone who was a fan before you. Sure, there will always be people who just follow the trends, but they'll disappear quickly. There could also be people who see the movie and become genuinely interested in the series and start learning about the original. Is that a bad thing? The fandom does not belong to any one group of fans who can dictate who is "worthy" of joining their ranks. Who's to say the fandom wouldn't benefit from an infusion of newer fans?
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:45 pm

The movie will attract two kinds of new fans. The first set being those who just like the film, and they will dissapear soon. The second set are folks who like the movie, but want to know more about the series and its origins. Set two will become fans, and nothing is wrong with that.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:14 pm

I just thought I wanted to point out something

He's holding the Nyoibou in his right hand. I personally didn't know if it would be in the movie or not, it's nice to have a confirmation. :D
Last edited by Big Momma on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:51 pm

sailorspazz wrote:You say you don't want the movie to attract new fans, but weren't you a new fan yourself at some point? Unless you were reading along with the original Japanese manga as it was released, there was always someone who was a fan before you. Sure, there will always be people who just follow the trends, but they'll disappear quickly. There could also be people who see the movie and become genuinely interested in the series and start learning about the original. Is that a bad thing? The fandom does not belong to any one group of fans who can dictate who is "worthy" of joining their ranks. Who's to say the fandom wouldn't benefit from an infusion of newer fans?
You misunderstood me. Sure, I was a new fan. But thats not what I'm talking about. If it attracted new fans it wouldn't bother me. But a lot of what it will attract is something different. Idiots basically. People who get into Dragonball, not because its Dragonball and they like it, but because its cool or something. And even that wouldn't bother me so much if they didn't go around acting like they know all about it, bullshiting about how they've been into it for years. Its not the new fans thats the problem for me. Its the fakers. And I know a few. And also, I know the fandom doesn't belong me or any one group. But that wasn't what I was talking about.[/code]