Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm

Sonny's Krillin was always good in my eyes at least.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:What's your point? :? :? :?
Basically, this:
Super Sonic wrote:Why must it match the original? Acting means making a character your own and not just matching. Look at foreign dubs of American cartoons and newer American cartoons voiced by new actors because of the originals passing on. Don't sound exactly like said original.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:26 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Why must it match the original? Acting means making a character your own and not just matching. Look at foreign dubs of American cartoons and newer American cartoons voiced by new actors because of the originals passing on. Don't sound exactly like said original.
"Match" as the OP (me) intended in this case doesn't necessarily mean a vocal one. It can certainly include one-- if there's a character you think really DOES match up with his/her counterpart on an acoustic level, then by all means, but otherwise we're just looking for characters in the dub who "match" in a way that do the originals some sort of justice. That can be a voice, performance or dialogue that reasonably matches the original, or even a combination of all three.

I may have worded my original post too strictly. Not at all am I looking for us to focus completely on something superficial as the voice. So long as we're talking about characters who play well with respect to their Japanese counterparts, then that's the intent of this thread.

Sorry for the confusion, everyone.

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 am

Well, I would say that Maron (Krillin's girlfriend, not his daughter) was just as air-headed and annoying in the dub as she was in the original. So, uh, good job? :wink:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:43 am

Her redub on the Season Four set was the single most awful thing I have EVER heard. Why the fuck did they even bother?!

~Da Lemmy

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:02 am

Oh, yeah, I meant the first dub of her. Seriously, the redub was just intolerable and completely unnecessary....did they have a falling out with the original actress and want to purge her from the series or something? Because to replace something that was comparable to the original level of irritation with that....
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:48 am

JulieYBM wrote:
SaiyaMel wrote:What's your point? :? :? :?
Basically, this:
I see. Though actually, I'm not arguing that... the point of my words in this thread is that I don't like Krillin's Funimation voice (am I the only one here who doesn't?),, and admitted - I'm not the biggest fan of his Canadian voice either, but find it more tolerable somewhat..
Just Saiyan...

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:13 am

sailorspazz wrote:Oh, yeah, I meant the first dub of her. Seriously, the redub was just intolerable and completely unnecessary....did they have a falling out with the original actress and want to purge her from the series or something? Because to replace something that was comparable to the original level of irritation with that....
I honestly have no idea. Probably for the same reason they omitted Dale Kelly did they dub over her this woman's performance with someone currently in FUNimation's employ (neither of whom I can think up a name for). I'm thinking that a lot of the times a voice changes in these sets, FUNi isn't left with much of a choice-- the original VA's have probably moved below the radar and aren't part of the company anymore, meaning that FUNi can't market them in anything new.

But God, she was terrible.

~Da Lemmy

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:36 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:Oh, yeah, I meant the first dub of her. Seriously, the redub was just intolerable and completely unnecessary....did they have a falling out with the original actress and want to purge her from the series or something? Because to replace something that was comparable to the original level of irritation with that....
I honestly have no idea. Probably for the same reason they omitted Dale Kelly did they dub over her this woman's performance with someone currently in FUNimation's employ (neither of whom I can think up a name for). I'm thinking that a lot of the times a voice changes in these sets, FUNi isn't left with much of a choice-- the original VA's have probably moved below the radar and aren't part of the company anymore, meaning that FUNi can't market them in anything new.

But God, she was terrible.

~Da Lemmy
Who does the redubbed voice? I'm thinking this was done so they could preemptively have a voice ready in case she ever popped up in a video game.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 pm

French Freeza is pretty close to the Japanese Freeza, and Vegeta's really good in French, but he doesn't "sound" as deep as his Japanese counter part.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Who does the redubbed voice? I'm thinking this was done so they could preemptively have a voice ready in case she ever popped up in a video game.
I have absolutely no idea. Let's see . . .

*checks the appropriate disc*

Leah Clark.

Although, I don't know how much I trust the credits on these Season Sets-- Dende's VA is rather frequently listed as Ceyli Delgadillo despite that Laura Bailey has long since overwritten Delgadillo's dub of the character.

Man, if I were Bailey, I'd be kinda pissed. :evil:

~Da Lemmy

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 pm

I liked her in One Piece, School Rumble and Conqueror of Shamballa. Did she do it that bad? (Has no intention of buying season 4 box set.)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:13 pm

My votes are kind of just echoing what has been already posted.
In terms of voices only (excluding the acting portion)

-General Blue
-Android 17
-Android 18
-Dragonball Announcer
-Kaioshin
-Mr.Satan

I think that's the long and short of it. I never cared for the Dragonball male children, I don't like the stereotypical "raspy anime kid" thing they have going.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:17 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I never cared for the Dragonball male children, I don't like the stereotypical "raspy anime kid" thing they have going.
I think it's kinda cool. But...Nadolny's Goku does not have a raspy voice.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:19 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I never cared for the Dragonball male children, I don't like the stereotypical "raspy anime kid" thing they have going.
Uuuuuhhh I care to disagree? It's completely subjective but I hear it as raspy and annoying.

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:24 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:
Uuuuuhhh I care to disagree? It's completely subjective but I hear it as raspy and annoying.
Ok, that's fine. But i disagree. :wink:
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:27 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote: I think it's kinda cool. But...Nadolny's Goku does not have a raspy voice.
Ok, that's fine. But Gohan has the raspy voice. :wink:
I think they all have the raspy voice but no matter, maybe my ears just aren't hearing what everyone else is.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:59 am

Goten's voice certainly wasn't raspy. :D :P :D
*not sure what to make of Trunks* Hehehe...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:54 am

I totally agree with NeptuneKai regarding Nadolny's voices.
Just Saiyan...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 am

Goten, Trunks and kid Goku's voices are all guilty of having that scratchy horrid kind of noise when a woman tries to sound like a young boy.

It's all nails on a chalkboard to me.