Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alruneia
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Alruneia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:12 am

Sin wrote:They've re-issued the posters everyone, panic over.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ha... if only. Honestly, if sacrificing Goten's appearance in the movie was necessary in order to age Trunks up, I'd say go for it. It probably wouldn't affect the story much.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

Alruneia wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ha... if only. Honestly, if sacrificing Goten's appearance in the movie was necessary in order to age Trunks up, I'd say go for it. It probably wouldn't affect the story much.
The same could be said for not aging them up. If they're still gonna be background characters then does it really matter? They'll probably only appear very briefly at the beginning and or end.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:If they're still gonna be background characters then does it really matter?
Is this the new excuse people are using these days? No matter how many years go by, no matter the biological issue, no matter anything, as long as characters are erroneously portrayed as background ones, let's not do anything with them, keep them the way they are? We could be in AGE 800, if Goten and Trunks are still useless characters, don't mind if we don't age them up and keep them as kids? :roll:

I can understand if people don't mind growth in general, but to come up with an excuse and say it's fine no matter the circumstance is not understandable. Growth was never part of any plot but it happened throughout Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, so this argument "it won't affect the story so why bother?" is also terrible.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:46 am

I don't think anyone said it's ok "no matter the circumstance", just that it's ok here where not much time has passed and the characters aren't likely that involved with the plot anyway. Big difference. And really, given those two factors, aging them up suddenly and making a big deal out of it would only seem like a distraction in the grand scheme of the movie's story anyway. It makes more sense for a TV show where you can disperse focus and pacing into multiple more relaxed episodes anyway. And if Super comes back to TV with a timeskip and doesn't change anyone even slightly then yeah, I'll be fucking annoyed, but that hasn't happened so there's no reason in acting outraged yet.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I am fine with the kids still being kids going from what was stated in Jaco and the fact the movie takes place shortly after the ToP. Although I hope that if there is a time skip in the next arc, at least Trunks who is one year older than Goten will be aged up a little.
They should also tell the Jaco’s tidbit in the anime considering how few DB fans have read it. Of course people will complain about the kids’ appearance, as they do not know of this peculiarity of the Saiyans.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm

Alruneia wrote:Honestly, if sacrificing Goten's appearance in the movie was necessary in order to age Trunks up, I'd say go for it. It probably wouldn't affect the story much.
They should just send Goten away to another universe so they won't have to worry about his age or look. :lol:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:42 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow! Just how much time has passed since the Tournament of Power!??? Trunks looks like he’s 13/14 here!

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:07 pm

sintzu wrote:
Alruneia wrote:Honestly, if sacrificing Goten's appearance in the movie was necessary in order to age Trunks up, I'd say go for it. It probably wouldn't affect the story much.
They should just send Goten away to another universe so they won't have to worry about his age or look. :lol:
An unorthodox solution, but a valid one nonetheless. :P
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:17 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:

Wow! Just how much time has passed since the Tournament of Power!??? Trunks looks like he’s 13/14 here!
Apologies man, its a joke poster I made for fun, unfortunately Trunks is still a fetus.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:28 pm

Issei189 wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote:
emperior wrote: Jeez dude the movie is taking place shortly after the Tournament and, I repeat, it was stated in Jaco how Saiyans stay in a child’s body for a long time. Honestly if you hate Super so much why don’t you just drop it completely?
Future Trunks aged normally and so did Gohan.
What makes you think Gohan aged normally after Age 9 ? We have never seen a Gohan b/w age 9 and 16, so Why are you using this to prove your point because even Goten and Trunks aged normally from age 1 to 7/8. Also, 14 year old Future Trunks wasn't designed by AT and Neither was that special chapter illustrated by him, so I doubt AT even remembered since he designed kid trunks with the same height in BOG and no one from staff brought up Future Trunks design.
Is this a joke post perhaps?

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:16 pm

emperior wrote:I am fine with the kids still being kids going from what was stated in Jaco and the fact the movie takes place shortly after the ToP. Although I hope that if there is a time skip in the next arc, at least Trunks who is one year older than Goten will be aged up a little.
They should also tell the Jaco’s tidbit in the anime considering how few DB fans have read it. Of course people will complain about the kids’ appearance, as they do not know of this peculiarity of the Saiyans.
But they do know, they all saw teen human-saiyan hybrids - Gohan, Future Trunks, Pan, Bra etc. all drawn and designed as NOT toddlers by Toriyama himself.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Cursemark505 wrote:
Issei189 wrote:
Cursemark505 wrote: Future Trunks aged normally and so did Gohan.
What makes you think Gohan aged normally after Age 9 ? We have never seen a Gohan b/w age 9 and 16, so Why are you using this to prove your point because even Goten and Trunks aged normally from age 1 to 7/8. Also, 14 year old Future Trunks wasn't designed by AT and Neither was that special chapter illustrated by him, so I doubt AT even remembered since he designed kid trunks with the same height in BOG and no one from staff brought up Future Trunks design.
Is this a joke post perhaps?
No, I just messed up the Trunks one by mixing up the manga chapter with the Anime Comic version of the Future Trunks special which was illustrated by Minoru Meada, so basically I forgot that AT wrote and illustrated the manga version of the Future Trunks Special, but my point about Gohan is valid.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:This movie takes place after Universe Survival arc.
Pan and Bra already have born.
Everyone is getting new character designs. It was the perfect time to age Goten/Trunks and yet they decided to not do it again. That's it. These two will remain kids forever in the new stuff, while Pan and Bra will keep being babies. They can't even bother to give a new haircut to Goten. Toriyama's Broly got EOZ Goten haircut before him...
Pan and Bra will be adults with families of their own. Meanwhile, Goten and Trunks are still kids. :lol:
I would like to say they are giving Ash Ketchum a run for his money, but Ash is on a level of its own at this point.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:19 pm

This has been one major difference between DBS and the original series. Dragonball and DBZ were sort of a coming of age story for Goku and Gohan. DBS is more self-contained and six sagas have taken place within a timeskip without the younger generation having aged at all since the Buu saga. I know they don't care about these characters and they don't seem like they'll ever play a major role but it's a nice way to show the passage of time within the story.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Grimlock wrote:
miguelnuva1 wrote:Trunks did not likely be conceived the same way in both timelines based on what Vegeta was going throw at the time,
You're making claims based on nothing at this point and Vegeta wasn't going through anything, the androids first appeared in AGE 767, Trunks was born in AGE 766.
miguelnuva1 wrote:it's not impossible that in present Trunks then saiyan traits were more dominate.
Yes it is, almost everything happened the same way it happened in the present, so there's no reason to think he was conceived differently. This is a natural event, as long as Bulma and Vegeta weren't bothered by anything else, the mating act was the same. Despite a little changes (such as Future Trunks didn't appear in Future Trunks' timeline), none of them affect the natural course of Vegeta and Bulma having a child.
miguelnuva1 wrote:Here's what we know they're are 5 half saiyan and half human hybrids in the anine.

Gohan, Future Trunks and Gt Bra are one type while present Trunks and Goten are another type.
What I do know is that present Trunks did not inherit that Saiyans's characteristic, and he does fall in whatever category you're doing for Gohan, Future Trunks and Bra.
I wont clog the thread because it's off topic and I will agree to disagree but you believe Vegeta was trying to kill himself in 300g in the future.

The second Trunks shows up and tells everyone to train for the Androids it changes what everyone was doing.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Miracles wrote: No, Beerus only losing in arm wrestling in both versions is Toriyama plot point. Just like Kaioshin and Hakaishin being a pair. Beerus word is true cause it was NEVER debunked by Whis in either. Otherwise Beerus would of been untrue like he was on the Zamasu timeline issue. It is a fact in both versions until proven otherwise.
Again, what evidence do you have that Beerus isn't lying or playing down his lost? And Whis debunked him in the anime by saying this god was stronger than him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:Re: Goku being close to a god and Vegeta trying to catch up.

I think this is referring to Ultra Instinct, since the gods can use it, while Goku still struggles with it and Vegeta can’t do it at the moment.

Re: Broly being the strongest enemy and wielding destructive power greater than a God of Destruction’s.

Similar hype that Jiren had. It wouldn’t surprise me if Broly comes out stronger.

Re: Posters.

Isn’t the lower part somewhat much better?
The only god confirmed to have UI in any form is Beerus and even then UI is referred to a form beyond the gods.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:32 pm

HeroR wrote:Again, what evidence do you have that Beerus isn't lying or playing down his lost? And Whis debunked him in the anime by saying this god was stronger than him.
How could Whis debunk Beerus when Beerus was the one that corrected Whis on what he lost in, which was arm wrestling only?
Not to mention BOTH anime and manga say that Beerus lost only in arm wrestling with no contradictions later. Which means this plot point was a Toriyama outline exclusive for both mediums.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:09 am

Miracles wrote:
HeroR wrote:Again, what evidence do you have that Beerus isn't lying or playing down his lost? And Whis debunked him in the anime by saying this god was stronger than him.
How could Whis debunk Beerus when Beerus was the one that corrected Whis on what he lost in, which was arm wrestling only?
Not to mention BOTH anime and manga say that Beerus lost only in arm wrestling with no contradictions later. Which means this plot point was a Toriyama outline exclusive for both mediums.
It doesnt matter if he lost only in arm wrestling. Whis said Jiren might be above GoD tier before he powered up full power. And then Jiren gets another power up on top on his full power. He is above beerus. And nobody contradicts Whis about thus statement.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:54 am

Pannaliciour wrote:
Miracles wrote:
It doesnt matter if he lost only in arm wrestling. Whis said Jiren might be above GoD tier before he powered up full power. And then Jiren gets another power up on top on his full power. He is above beerus. And nobody contradicts Whis about thus statement.
It was said that UI Goku might be stronger than Beerus and that same guy smokes Jiren.