FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Re: FUNimation Announces "Kai" License ("DBZ Kai")

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:57 am

Honestly, I just hope that they use a script that is close to the original Japanese, or even go off the Viz translation of the manga. Then I'll be happier than usual.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:36 pm

sangofe wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:What was wrong with it?
Same overly-rough constipation sound to it.
In addition to wrong pronunciation...
Am I missing something?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm a little late on this (for some reason, my main computer won't turn on so I'm using my dad's laptop) but I'm glad to see that the rest of the main cast is still there, and if you really were expecting anything different, then I don't know what to say.

Y'lnow...penguintruth, I'm really sick of the attitude you have on here. You go around on every single Dragon Ball-related forum letting everyone know that people who actually like the dub cast and anything associated with it has low standards and implying that their opinions don't matter and shouldn't be considered. It's BS. Just because someone loves something that you loathe doesn't mean they're "easily impressed" or have "low standards." They just have DIFFERENT TASTE than you. Your opinion isn't any more valid than any dub fan or sub fan's. So just stop.

I'm gonna have to agree with Gozar. Whatever voice is "accurate" is pure opinion. People say that dub cast is inaccurate as if it's pure fact. No - it's just your opinion. Some people may have different interpretations of what fits a character the most, and you should be open to them. Now sure, some of these interpretations probably are kinda far-fetched, like the Big Green Dub's voice for Goku, and maybe they shouldn't be taken as seriously. People should stop expecting FUNimation to do everything according to THEIR individual opinions. To go back to the Lil Wayne example - I think he's horrible. He's a lazy rapper and says the most ridiculous things. But am I REALLY gonna throw a fit whenever his record label puts out an album from him? No, because his stuff sells and even though the consensus ion the internet is that he sucks, we're clearly in the minority and it'd be silly to expect his record label to drop him just because some people on a message board think he sucks. Business is still business.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

To some degree, I'm with ya' jjgp1112. Interpretation is, by its very nature, a purely personal decision and feeling. Of course, there will be some amount of standing coming from the Japanese side of things, since the actual production crew had a say in how it should be "interpreted"...

What I'll never understand, though, is how some of you can go on hilarious rampages about some of the "Big Green" voices, and then rally behind some of the FUNimation cast choices. To a lot of folks (both in North America and abroad, as I'm sure Adamant will love to hop in and point out)... they're equally ridiculous in how atrociously they are a caricaturization to the n-th degree.

I think you're the strange type, jjgp1112. You've come out and said that you don't even care if some aspects are totally changed (music, script) -- you just want to watch it and not question a darn thing. Of course, that makes me question why you're here discussing it all with the hardest-core of the hardcore! If you're so apathetic about it, why do you care what others have to say about your show? ^_~

You don't want to complain, and yet you're complaining about the complaining? Huh?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote:To some degree, I'm with ya' jjgp1112. Interpretation is, by its very nature, a purely personal decision and feeling. Of course, there will be some amount of standing coming from the Japanese side of things, since the actual production crew had a say in how it should be "interpreted"...

What I'll never understand, though, is how some of you can go on hilarious rampages about some of the "Big Green" voices, and then rally behind some of the FUNimation cast choices. To a lot of folks (both in North America and abroad, as I'm sure Adamant will love to hop in and point out)... they're equally ridiculous in how atrociously they are a caricaturization to the n-th degree.

I think you're the strange type, jjgp1112. You've come out and said that you don't even care if some aspects are totally changed (music, script) -- you just want to watch it and not question a darn thing. Of course, that makes me question why you're here discussing it all with the hardest-core of the hardcore! If you're so apathetic about it, why do you care what others have to say about your show? ^_~

You don't want to complain, and yet you're complaining about the complaining? Huh?
It's mainly because of the fact that I actually have read the Viz manga and watched small parts of the Japanese version and like to find out whatever I can about Dragon Ball. However, I'm just open-minded and will accept whatever different interpretations are out there as long as it's not offensively bad to me. Like, I probably won't watch the more inaccurately scripted and poorly written and acted parts of the dub, such as Season 3 because it just sounds so bad and even contradicts aspects of the better dubs from later on in the series and even the stuff that came before it.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

VegettoEX wrote:since the actual production crew had a say in how it should be "interpreted"
You see. I personally don't believe that random people hired to simply animate and adapt Toriyama's story have anymore weight in their opinion than we do. Seriously, these are the same people who created the filler that we complain about. The same people who portray Kuririn as purely the wimpy comic relief in their movies and filler.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:09 pm

Gozar wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:since the actual production crew had a say in how it should be "interpreted"
You see. I personally don't believe that random people hired to simply animate and adapt Toriyama's story have anymore weight in their opinion than we do. Seriously, these are the same people who created the filler that we complain about. The same people who portray Kuririn as purely the wimpy comic relief in their movies and filler.
Yeah, I agree with this. Just because certain people are more "official" doesn't mean that they hold more weight than anyone else. It's possible for the producers to be far-off in people's opinions as well.

And to go back to the stuff about dubs, I like dubs as long as the changes aren't particularly obnoxious. And I'm sorry, but the Funi dub never came off as some radically different show from the Japanese version. The changes never struck me as obnoxious. Like, with the Yu-Gi-Oh dub, I pretty much had the same attachment to that dub as I had to the Funi dub. But when I found out about all of the changes made to it and how cool the Japanese version was, and how subsequently castrated the dub was, it didn't sit well with me, and I can't watch that dub anymore because of cheesy everything is in comparison to what it could be.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:19 pm

I think different non-Dragonball-like music (DUN DUN DUN DUN I AM PICCOLO DUN DUN), references to already-fading bits of pop culture ("mondo" being one of them), and lots of little script changes that added up over time certainly made FUNi's DBZ a radically different show. Oh, and at least the Japanese production staff had Toriyama making some choices. Vegeta's voice, for example, was all Toriyama saying, "Yes, this is the guy! That's exactly how I imagined his voice!"

Whether you found the changes obnoxious or not is your own opinion, but don't act like it's not different. And, in the future, please give your incredibly open mind a second chance with the Boo arc music in the Japanese version. Some of the most enjoyable and exciting music in the series is in the Boo arc.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Gozar wrote:
Well, the different anime are the work of Toei. We're buying their adaptation of the story and not Toriyama's original. Just as we should want an accurate representation of Toriyama's original comic from Viz we should want an accurate representation of Toei's anime from FUNimation. That's why I don't get people wanting FUNimation to 'fix' visual mistakes like Kuririn wearing the wrong clothes (as was the case with a recent episode). That's what the product is, we should enjoy it for its flaws and strong points, not change it to our whim and then call it the same thing. I wouldn't take your parody series, digitally color Vegeta's clothes purple, remove the 'Mystic Gohan' jokes, change Kuririn to a used car salesmen, and then say it's the same thing as 'Alternate Reality Dragon Ball Z' (similarly such is why I don't consider Dragon Ball Kai to be Dragon Ball Z, however that is a tale for another day).
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I can't watch that dub anymore because of cheesy everything is in comparison to what it could be.
Which I think most informed Dub Fans, such as myself will openly admit that when FUNi first began. They were. Which is why I'm most looking forward to the later Freeza Saga being done in Kai. For both portrayal, script, and acting. Season 3 was by far the worst in all of these aspects in the Dub. Once you get further into the series. The scripts become more-so acurate. The acting better. And the portrayal more accurate. Goku's overly heroic dialogue becomes less and less.
JulieYBM wrote:Well, the different anime are the work of Toei. We're buying their adaptation of the story and not Toriyama's original. Just as we should want an accurate representation of Toriyama's original comic from Viz we should want an accurate representation of Toei's anime from FUNimation. That's why I don't get people wanting FUNimation to 'fix' visual mistakes like Kuririn wearing the wrong clothes (as was the case with a recent episode). That's what the product is, we should enjoy it for its flaws and strong points, not change it to our whim and then call it the same thing. I wouldn't take your parody series, digitally color Vegeta's clothes purple, remove the 'Mystic Gohan' jokes, change Kuririn to a used car salesmen, and then say it's the same thing as 'Alternate Reality Dragon Ball Z' (similarly such is why I don't consider Dragon Ball Kai to be Dragon Ball Z, however that is a tale for another day).
I agree with you 100% of the way. I want Kai's script to be accurate. I don't want those changes to be there. But I don't feel that the voices fall into the same category.

And Kuririn could never be a used car salesman...THAT'S RADITZ JOB!!! XD

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:39 pm

Agreed, I can not wait till the Freeza saga of kai in english.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Kendamu wrote:I think different non-Dragonball-like music (DUN DUN DUN DUN I AM PICCOLO DUN DUN), references to already-fading bits of pop culture ("mondo" being one of them), and lots of little script changes that added up over time certainly made FUNi's DBZ a radically different show. Oh, and at least the Japanese production staff had Toriyama making some choices. Vegeta's voice, for example, was all Toriyama saying, "Yes, this is the guy! That's exactly how I imagined his voice!"

Whether you found the changes obnoxious or not is your own opinion, but don't act like it's not different. And, in the future, please give your incredibly open mind a second chance with the Boo arc music in the Japanese version. Some of the most enjoyable and exciting music in the series is in the Boo arc.
Um...the reason why I don't like the Buu arc music is because I HAVE watched the whole saga with that music and hated it.

But nice try, though.
Cold World (Fanfic)

mysticgoten
Not-So-Newbie

Chris Sabat and Kyle Herbet's Reaction to DBZKai

Post by mysticgoten » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:59 pm

On his facebook page, about the replacements, Chris Sabat said:
"Yes, there were some casting changes. And there were good reasons for all of them. I really can't go into it, but trust me the reasons are totally valid. But you have nothing to worry about. The new Narrator is awesome. Monica sounds JUST like Tiffany's Bulma, only better! Colleen is a very age-appropriate Gohan and brings a new quality of acting that you haven't experienced before. The scripts are totally true to the REAL story of DBZ. The new music and SFX are great. The editing of Kai is SO MUCH TIGHTER and more exciting than the original Z. You are going to LOVE this new version. A lot of hard work has gone into this new version and I'm sure that once you see how much better EVERYTHING is about this version you'll completely forget about all these little things that worry you know. Just wait..."

And Kyle Herbet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTZ0KdpfMSU
"I'm always thinking one step ahead. Like a carpenter. Who makes stairs."
-MysticGoten

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Here's my stance on everything pertaining to the voice acting. Personally I think it was smart to keep the voices that English fans are familiar with because at the end of the day how many original fans are going to even bother checking out the dub, and then from that, how many of you are going to follow the dubbed version all the way through? The Dub fans(myself included) are Funimations bread and butter and as such I think they should cater to their tastes. I don't think Sub fans should be excluded, that's just not fair, but Funimation isn't excluding you, you still get your voice actors of choice with the subs.

I think Kendamu said it best when he wished for an accurate script just so everyone on here can be on the same page. I think that's the most important thing here. By doing so, I don't think Funimation is spitting on anyone(as penguintruth put it) but instead they're catering to their stronger audience and at the same time, they are also bringing two different types of fans closer together. So let's hope that Funimation comes through with an accurate script( I am totally confident that they will do so).

that's all I have to say on the subject.
Last edited by SparkyPantsMcGee on Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:19 pm

It's just a question of how far they will go to keep the dub fans on board. They kept all the voice actors they could, what about character names? Attack names? How much is going to stay the same for the sake of familiarity?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:It's just a question of how far they will go to keep the dub fans on board. They kept all the voice actors they could, what about character names? Attack names? How much is going to stay the same for the sake of familiarity?
As of right now, I think Dragonball's dub gives us the best idea of what to expect. It's up to you to decide if you like that or not. If they match the quality of Dragonball I'd be very happy.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:39 pm

I'd be happy with it. But even then compromises were made (Tienshinhan, etc).

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:41 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:It's just a question of how far they will go to keep the dub fans on board. They kept all the voice actors they could, what about character names? Attack names? How much is going to stay the same for the sake of familiarity?
As of right now, I think Dragonball's dub gives us the best idea of what to expect. It's up to you to decide if you like that or not. If they match the quality of Dragonball I'd be very happy.
The acting quality has gone up a lot since that dub, but they did make that dub with Japanese version fans in mind.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Mountain
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mountain » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 pm

I knew from the beginning that the voices that I didn't particularly like weren't going anywhere. There's no chance of completely making me happy with the dub, as casted. However, the few other things that I am hoping for are as follows:

1. Accurate script - Sabat confirmed this (but how accurate will it be?)

2. Correct pronunciations - Well, in the new Dragon Box Z 3 trailer, Kuririn says, "Super Saiyan" and uses the same old wrong pronunciation. Perhaps they are just keeping the pronunciation in line with the 'Z' products, for the sake of consistency. That means that there's still a possibility for Kai, however slim. I have a feeling that they'll fix 'Kaio-ken' (which is the same way to correctly pronounce 'Saiyan'. What's so hard about this???)

3. Correct names - Tenshinhan, please! It's not that difficult. Kuririn may be asking too much, and I understand where people are coming from, but it's his given name. There's no reason to change it. This is the department where I don't see a lot of change, to be honest. FUNimation is unlikely to go out of their way for people who want correct names.

4. Voices - Okay, so most of the cast will return. There's no reason to further complain. The cast just is. Now that that's out of the way, I sure hope the voices are good. If Kaio will remain the same, then Schemmel should tone it down just a touch. Sabat should tone down his Vegeta. I'm curious to hear the new Gohan. There are more, but I'm tired of typing.

In the end, I'm trying to stay positive now and keep an open mind. The chances of me liking it are probably slim, but at least I'm willing to give it a proper viewing before my criticism begins...

www.KristaMichaels.com

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Mountain wrote:2. Correct pronunciations - Well, in the new Dragon Box Z 3 trailer, Kuririn says, "Super Saiyan" and uses the same old wrong pronunciation. Perhaps they are just keeping the pronunciation in line with the 'Z' products, for the sake of consistency. That means that there's still a possibility for Kai, however slim. I have a feeling that they'll fix 'Kaio-ken' (which is the same way to correctly pronounce 'Saiyan'. What's so hard about this???)

3. Correct names - Tenshinhan, please! It's not that difficult. Kuririn may be asking too much, and I understand where people are coming from, but it's his given name. There's no reason to change it. This is the department where I don't see a lot of change, to be honest. FUNimation is unlikely to go out of their way for people who want correct names.
Yes. These two points, almost as much as the script, are what I'm hoping for improvement on. It's these kinds of "little things" being changed when they shouldn't be that tend to kill the dub-watching experience for me.

But I have a hunch that with Mr. Sabat directing, we'll see some improvement in these regards. We've been hearing "Ki" being used and "Kaio-Ken" being pronounced correctly in the recent games and such under his direction.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.