Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 am

Ki Breaker wrote:If SSBE & kaioken are not in the movie, will the anime still be considered the main product/ continuation?
If they do not retell the movie in a new Super show, yes. If they retell the movie and include the anime originals, then they will most likely include the cut parts of the original script, making the retelling also closer to Toriyama’s original vision and thus the retelling will be considered a more complete version.
In any case, the anime will continue being the main product. Both the anime and manga are continuations.

I personally hope to see Kaioken in the movie, and I expect to see it and Evolution. If they do not appear, then that’s Toei’s fault in the case of Evolution to introduce a new form so randomly and late in the ToP.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:31 am

emperior wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:If SSBE & kaioken are not in the movie, will the anime still be considered the main product/ continuation?
If they do not retell the movie in a new Super show, yes. If they retell the movie and include the anime originals, then they will most likely include the cut parts of the original script, making the retelling also closer to Toriyama’s original vision and thus the retelling will be considered a more complete version.
In any case, the anime will continue being the main product. Both the anime and manga are continuations.

I personally hope to see Kaioken in the movie, and I expect to see it and Evolution. If they do not appear, then that’s Toei’s fault in the case of Evolution to introduce a new form so randomly and late in the ToP.
The anime is not and never was the...okay let me not say "never"... but the TV show isn't the main continuity, anymore. May you please stop spreading this lie around? The manga and tv show are both canon, and neither one is more canon then the other.
And if the Movie dosen't show Kaioken or evolution, it most likely means the movie is only the continuation of Akiras toriyamas Super, not the actaul legit TV show or manga. Though I doubt this will happen since toei said it'll change or create his "fights" which strongly indicates they'll use their toei-only forms, but we will see.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:42 am

Considering the director for the film Tatsuya Nagamine was able to make a three hour long storyboard for this movie, I wonder how that would translate to a television adaptation.

If a genuine initiative was taken to make sure the production of a new DB series weren't to fall apart like Super's anime did, and accounting for the change to a more animation capable designs, though I don't think we'd be getting any Boruto 65's, I think a anime adaptation of the arc, which ended up being 9 episodes long, could be perfectly competent and enjoyable.

This is said considering Supers movie retellings suffered from terrible production strains and an overly bloated length, with the BOG retelling being roughly four and half ours long, and the ROF anime retelling being three hours long, but poorly fleshed out.

Would people agree with the idea of a retelling with competent execution that expanded upon the contents of the movie for an anime adaptation?

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:54 am

JazzMazz wrote:Considering the director for the film Tatsuya Nagamine was able to make a three hour long storyboard for this movie, I wonder how that would translate to a television adaptation.

If a genuine initiative was taken to make sure the production of a new DB series weren't to fall apart like Super's anime did, and accounting for the change to a more animation capable designs, though I don't think we'd be getting any Boruto 65's, I think a anime adaptation of the arc, which ended up being 9 episodes long, could be perfectly competent and enjoyable.

This is said considering Supers movie retellings suffered from terrible production strains and an overly bloated length, with the BOG retelling being roughly four and half ours long, and the ROF anime retelling being three hours long, but poorly fleshed out.

Would people agree with the idea of a retelling with competent execution that expanded upon the contents of the movie for an anime adaptation?
Nah... An re telling like this would probably equate to about 25 episodes at the least.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 am

Jesus-is Lord wrote:
emperior wrote:

The anime is not and never was the...okay let me not say "never"... but the TV show isn't the main continuity, anymore. May you please stop spreading this lie around? The manga and tv show are both canon, and neither one is more canon then the other.
And if the Movie dosen't show Kaioken or evolution, it most likely means the movie is only the continuation of Akiras toriyamas Super, not the actaul legit TV show or manga. Though I doubt this will happen since toei said it'll change or create his "fights" which strongly indicates they'll use their toei-only forms, but we will see.
Again, read what I write before quoting me. It’s seriously getting irritating.
I said in the past that I consider the anime the more canonical version of Super, but this time I was talking about the anime being the main product.
And this is not me connecting the dots or theorizing, as there is solid proof by the fact that the videogames and merchandise follow the anime and never considered the manga yet. The anime is also vastly more popular than the manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 am

JazzMazz wrote:Considering the director for the film Tatsuya Nagamine was able to make a three hour long storyboard for this movie, I wonder how that would translate to a television adaptation.

Honestly, the movie retellings probably saved super in the long run. Imagine if u6 had bog's animation and future trunls had rof animation.

When super comes back, i hope they have learned what they feel they need to. Super might be the first dragon ball seuqel to be a success.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 am

I really hope that this time they will be able to reuse movie footage if they do a retelling of it.
Of course I would expect them to also use the whole original storyboard before they had to cut parts of it. Basically half of the retelling would utilize existing footage, with the other half using what was originally cut and potentially a few more additions to build the tension and suspense typical of weekly anime series, such as episodes ending on cliffhangers etcetera.

In this case I could see the retelling going on for 10-11 episodes, followed by 2-3 breather/fillerish episodes to complete a cour.

Re-using movie material would be extremely beneficial for the new show’s production. They would already have the storyboards and script, with half of it already directed and animated.
With a long pre-production even before the retelling, it would make Super’s comeback much better as they would have a lot of time to properly plan things out. The future of Super is extremely bright if they play their cards right. My wish is to see Super having a Pokémon-like schedule. I think that can be possible.
The movie will most likely be completed by October. If they start planning out Super by around then, it would make it 7 months if it comes back on April, and 10 if it comes back on July. And potentially more if they start working on it before October.
I cross my fingers.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 am

The anime has always been the main product and Toriyama said the movie is a continuation of the TV show, not just Super in general so them showing up or not is irrelevant.
JazzMazz wrote:Considering the director for the film was able to make a three hour long storyboard for this movie, I wonder how that would translate to a television adaptation.

BOG also had things cut out like everyone helping Goku fight Beerus but that never made it into the retelling, despite the final fight being 5 episodes long.

I would rather them not retell the movie but if they had to then yes, I'd like them to actually expand on things rather than just stretching the movie out.
JazzMazz wrote:I don't think we'd be getting any Boruto 65's.
Boruto is going into its 70's and it still wasting time on old/side content. You can tell they're trying to buy as much time as possible to cover up the fact they don't have much to tell in terms of main content. There was no reason to rush Boruto into production the way they did but instead they should've waited a few years to try to get Kishimoto back into the game.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jesus-is Lord
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jesus-is Lord » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:08 am

emperior wrote:
Jesus-is Lord wrote:
emperior wrote: If they do not retell the movie in a new Super show, yes. If they retell the movie and include the anime originals, then they will most likely include the cut parts of the original script, making the retelling also closer to Toriyama’s original vision and thus the retelling will be considered a more complete version.

Again, read what I write before quoting me. It’s seriously getting irritating.
I said in the past that I consider the anime the more canonical version of Super, but this time I was talking about the anime being the main product.
And this is not me connecting the dots or theorizing, as there is solid proof by the fact that the videogames and merchandise follow the anime and never considered the manga yet. The anime is also vastly more popular than the manga.
So main "product" dosen't mean more canonical, it jsut means which is more popular and produces more money? if that's the case then sure. The db and Z (And gt and kai) anime are the "main product" instead of the orginal DB if you want to go there. If that's what you mean, then yes I agree. the dbs anime is the "main product".

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 am

Wouldn't mind since I'm one of the idiots who liked the retellings, especially Battle of Gods, and think they're in many ways superior to the movies outside of animation. Fixed the production issues that the retellings had and I'm a happy campier.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 am

kudo6000 wrote:I’m wondering how exactly Broly’s normal Super Saiyan form will come into play. We see him in his yellow-eyed stage for a vast majority of the trailer; even clashing with SSB Goku before eventually ascending into LSS.
He might just go into it while trying to go Full Power. And not actually fight in regular SS.

I'm more concerned about the fact Goku is using SSGSS against Anger Broly and looks to be struggling how is he gonna cope with SS FP Broly? UI looks unlikely to happen and I doubt Kaioken will do much to SS FP Broly especially since Goku would have to use it in short bursts like against Jiren as opposed to recklessly like against Hit.
ricky84 wrote:Why would anyone deny that Vegeta could use SSG in the DBS anime when the RoF arc and movie made it clear that you need SSG in order to become SSB? SSB is literally what happens when a SSG goes SSJ1, that's why the form was originally called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Its common sense.
To be pedantic the form is still called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. But I agree. Vegeta hasn't had a reason to go SSG, same way Goku didn't until he came to help Hit with speedy Dyspo.

Ju-NanaGo

Post by Ju-NanaGo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
kudo6000 wrote:I’m wondering how exactly Broly’s normal Super Saiyan form will come into play. We see him in his yellow-eyed stage for a vast majority of the trailer; even clashing with SSB Goku before eventually ascending into LSS.
He might just go into it while trying to go Full Power. And not actually fight in regular SS.

I'm more concerned about the fact Goku is using SSGSS against Anger Broly and looks to be struggling how is he gonna cope with SS FP Broly? UI looks unlikely to happen and I doubt Kaioken will do much to SS FP Broly especially since Goku would have to use it in short bursts like against Jiren as opposed to recklessly like against Hit.
ricky84 wrote:Why would anyone deny that Vegeta could use SSG in the DBS anime when the RoF arc and movie made it clear that you need SSG in order to become SSB? SSB is literally what happens when a SSG goes SSJ1, that's why the form was originally called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. Its common sense.
To be pedantic the form is still called Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. But I agree. Vegeta hasn't had a reason to go SSG, same way Goku didn't until he came to help Hit with speedy Dyspo.
So why Goku used it against Anilaza but Vegeta just SSJ?

PS
Vegeta looks awesome with SSG...

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:55 am

I seriously hope this movie doesn't get retold in a tv series. Both of the remake arcs for BoG & RoF were worse than the films and its just really lazy to retell them instead of just moving on to a new arc.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:58 am

ricky84 wrote:I seriously hope this movie doesn't get retold in a tv series. Both of the remake arcs for BoG & RoF were worse than the films and its just really lazy to retell them instead of just moving on to a new arc.
If only world was that perfect...
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 am

No retelling is probably better if they have to remake the movie from scratch. Although I must admit I wouldn’t mind it because at least they would use the parts of the script they cut.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am

Where was this ever said? All that was said was that Toriyama’s script was 3 hours long and they cut it. Nothing was ever stated that they drew the storyboards for all 3 hours of the script
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:14 am

ricky84 wrote:I seriously hope this movie doesn't get retold in a tv series. Both of the remake arcs for BoG & RoF were worse than the films and its just really lazy to retell them instead of just moving on to a new arc.
BoG retelling while wasn't perfect did improve on some glaring issues the film had, namely Beerus and the action. BoG film we were constantly told Beerus was super scary etc but never shown whereas in retelling before Beerus even gets to Kaio's planet we've seen him destroy planets! Against Goku in #11 Beerus was legitimately scary something worthy of the title "God of Destruction". The action in the BoG film never ever sustained itself lasted a few moments before being interrupted.

And retellings aren't "lazy" it's necessary you can't just be jumping from two mediums like television and film. There is a reason why Marvel's Netflix shows aren't showing up in their actual cinematic universe & why DC just cut the BS and had their TV universe(s) different.

It's not ideal but it's where we are at.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:20 am

I'm getting the feeling these forms may be kept under wraps until the final round of fighting. Also, Goku using KK isn't really a "Form", just a technique stacked onto SSB. So there isn't really a reason to showcase it. As for SSBE, Vegeta may only reach that level again towards the end. I also get the feeling the reason we're not seeing "Legendary" for Broly is because they are actually saving it as a completely separate transformation from what's been revealed. Broly's new Legendary form may be a God Form that hasn't been seen yet.

I had always figured that if Broly were to actually gain a God form, it wouldn't be like Goku or Vegeta's, nor like Black's Rose form. Broly still has his tail, so it had always been in my mind that Broly would have something that connects him to the root of a saiyans base, primal nature. That which has been forgotten and which could no longer be used by Saiyans without tails or those like the U6 Saiyans who evolved to no longer possess them. That Broly's God form would resemble SS4 in some aspects, but still have differences. Broly had always seemed to have purple highlights for his hair before, and if any other hair color would suit him, it would be a deep purple or violet when he becomes a God.

This would also fit in line with MasakoX's color theory video concerning SSJ forms and chakras, in line with the Crown Chakra. Something Broly is also known for. Broly would, by the end, completely break his rage and, as if having an epiphany, experience an almost serene calm as he strikes a balance between his primal nature and the awakening and broadening of his higher consciousness. This version of Broly does not seem to actually hate anyone, and is only acting under the direction of Paragus. And if the leaked info is any indication, Broly may have grown an affinity or attachment for Cheyle, something that is extremely uncommon in Saiyans.

Not only would such a form be unique to Broly in this series, but would also show the duality of his character. He possesses a primal, primordial rage and at the same time the capacity to connect with others and not be swallowed by his Saiyan instincts and urges. Yet also not denying them. Broly can very well be seen as the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the series. Calm, serene and even stoic when undisturbed, and then uncontrollably violent and destructive when engaged in battle. And yet I also feel there is more to him than that duality. And hopefully we'll be able to explore it.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:13 pm

HeroR wrote: The only god confirmed to have UI in any form is Beerus and even then UI is referred to a form beyond the gods.
Beerus is the only one that showed the ability in the manga, but in the anime all of them can do it. Either way, that’s the only thing that makes Goku different from Vegeta in powerlevel.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
HeroR wrote: The only god confirmed to have UI in any form is Beerus and even then UI is referred to a form beyond the gods.
Beerus is the only one that showed the ability in the manga, but in the anime all of them can do it. Either way, that’s the only thing that makes Goku different from Vegeta in powerlevel.
I’m fairly certain the implication is that none of the GoDs have mastered UI.