Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 76

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Alee9977 wrote: means there is more time for post production
Not necessarily, it looks like a pretty simple effect that is just applied to the whole screen, so it can probably be applied very quickly.
As for the line effect I have no idea on that one.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:22 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Can someone tell me who drew Goku for these stills? ~ The art resembles Goku at his best.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
It's done by one of the key animators who worked under Minoru Maeda. He was the character designer and chief animation supervisor for Movie 4.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:35 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Can someone tell me who drew Goku for these stills? ~ The art resembles Goku at his best.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
It's done by one of the key animators who worked under Minoru Maeda. He was the character designer and chief animation supervisor for Movie 4.
Thank you for answering! Do you know if he's still working under Minoru Maeda? Or has any relation to modern DB?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:40 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Thank you for answering! Do you know if he's still working under Minoru Maeda? Or has any relation to modern DB?
Pretty much impossible to know for sure, but even if they did, their output wouldn't look anything like that. That art style is 100% pure Maeda, and with him being long gone, so is that style. In fact, it was gone halfway through Z!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Ajay wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Thank you for answering! Do you know if he's still working under Minoru Maeda? Or has any relation to modern DB?
Pretty much impossible to know for sure, but even if they did, their output wouldn't look anything like that. That art style is 100% pure Maeda, and with him being long gone, so is that style. In fact, it was gone halfway through Z!
AJay, what's your thoughts on Maeda's style? Is it something you're fond of?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:53 pm

Boo arc Goku is the best design he had in the franchise IMO:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Noah wrote:Boo arc Goku is the best design he had in the franchise IMO:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Yeah, his buu saga style is phenomenal, same with Vegeta.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

It's really disappointing, they're not drawn like this anymore. : |

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:06 pm

HybridSaiyan wrote:Ajay, what's your thoughts on Maeda's style? Is it something you're fond of?
Maeda's designs are spectacular -- especially in the hands of folks like Masaki Sato. Those thick eyebrows were so good.

Much prefer his designs to Nakatsuru and Yamamuro's. Not that theirs were bad back then, but they're not as appealing to me as Maeda's.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Ajay wrote:
HybridSaiyan wrote:Ajay, what's your thoughts on Maeda's style? Is it something you're fond of?
Maeda's designs are spectacular -- especially in the hands of folks like Masaki Sato. Those thick eyebrows were so good.

Much prefer his designs to Nakatsuru and Yamamuro's. Not that theirs were bad back then, but they're not as appealing to me as Maeda's.
Correct me if I'm wrong but did Maeda work on Goku's design during his fight with Frieza In Z? Although, amen. The thick black eyebrows are so satisfying to look at lol.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 pm

That bottom image may be done by Masaki Sato, going by his fanart drawings recently. They look similar to each other. It's not too surprising that he prefers simpler designs as opposed to Yamamuro's. If he was handed to a position of character designer, the current series would be completely different and for the better of key animators and supervisors.
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Maeda work on Goku's design during his fight with Frieza In Z? Although, amen. The thick black eyebrows are so satisfying to look at lol.
Indeed, he did. He was the character designer throughout the series, except Boo arc. The role of character designer is to provide designs for each character throughout a series. So, it's not only Goku Maeda had worked on, but everyone else.

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:That bottom image may be done by Masaki Sato, going by his fanart drawings recently. They look similar to each other. It's not too surprising that he prefers simpler designs as opposed to Yamamuro's. If he was handed to a position of character designer, the current series would be completely different and for the better of key animators and supervisors.
HybridSaiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:

Indeed, he did. He was the character designer throughout the series, except Boo arc. The role of character designer is to provide designs for each character throughout a series. So, it's not only Goku Maeda had worked on, but everyone else.
Ah, I see. It must be why the art looked quite consistent throughout each episode then? I don't really have a problem that Maeda wasn't the character designer in the Buu saga, reason being. It already looked visually beautiful, but saying that, it would be interesting to see the Buu saga if it was Maeda instead.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 pm

Partly. The original Dragon Ball was quite consistent, barring an animation supervisor's different take on Maeda's character designs. They worked closely to Maeda's models, so it's not too surprising that they were consistent. It was only when Dragon Ball Z took off that the series' art models became less consistent. Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada, Tadayoshi Yamamuro, Keisuke Masunga, Naoki Miyahara, to name a few all completely changed the look of the show once Dragon Ball Z aired. They all were key animators from the original series before being promoted to animation supervisors in Z. Naoki Tate started out as an in-betweener before becoming a key animator in Z. I suspect Maeda's may have let them do their stuff because they were good enough. We really don't know the specifics, though.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Not necessarily, it looks like a pretty simple effect that is just applied to the whole screen, so it can probably be applied very quickly.
Don't think so!! If we compare these 2 images, you will see that the backround is completely different.

Check out this image. The backround on the right is much more polished, well done and more animated than the one on the left. I don't think that's the work of a single filter.

Last edited by Hit!! on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Hit!! wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Don't think so!! If we compare these 2 images, you will see that the backround is completely different.

Check out this image. The backround on the right is much more polished more animated than the one on the left.

\

Low Quality image vs High Quality image. Dang.
It's pretty much the same. The ground just got darker.
But, really? I think coloring Key Animation is fast. Just, look at super schedule. It's bad, but the coloring is always on-point.
And since most of us thought that the schedule is getting better. Might as well say that they got more time, giving shading and some stuff.

I agree with ArchedThunder.
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Hit!! wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

Check out this image. The backround on the right is much more polished, well done and more animated than the one on the left. I don't think that's the work of a single filter.

I think you're mistaken here. Firstly, that's not actually the same frame to begin with, so comparing the background animation isn't reliable. More to the point though, I think what you're referring to as "polish" is just blurring and thickening of the lines that the filter does to everything else, too.
Retired.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:23 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Maybe, but why would they start doing this after almost 80 episodes?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:31 pm

Alee9977 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Maybe, but why would they start doing this after almost 80 episodes?
Wasn't there a new color designer recently ? Maybe he decided to change things starting with the new arc.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Hit!! wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

I don't understand how you can say it more animated when its literally just a still image.

I don't like the saturation filter, it looks overly bright and kind of ugly to be honest, I do like however, the line processing, I think it makes the characters look a little more solid.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:20 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
So wait, are there different character design models of goku and Co for every movie and project?

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:25 am

The filter also makes the cliffs in the backround bigger??