Why did people used to think Naruto would overtake Dragonball in popularity?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Re: Why did people used to think Naruto would overtake Dragonball in popularity?

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Part 1 Naruto = Great.
Part 2 Naruto = Okay at first, great at some points, then gets horribly irredeemable as the story progresses.

What Naruto excels at are the fights being very diverse and well thought out, using tactics in non generic ways. Best fight that comes to mind is Neji VS one of the members of the Sound 4. Perfect clash of different styles pushing each other to the limit with strategy and skill.

Naruto also excels (more than any other shonen in this regard to be quite frank) delving into emotions and how people feel and what those feelings lead to. You get really attached to the characters because of this.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why did people used to think Naruto would overtake Dragonball in popularity?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I swear is it me more does JulieYBM talk in riddles sometimes? Lol, I feel like I have to re-read his posts several times!
That's part of his charm.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I swear is it me more does JulieYBM talk in riddles sometimes? Lol, I feel like I have to re-read his posts several times!
That's part of his charm.
I thought his charm was the hentai avatars.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm

That too. He's a pervy genius.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
I too find his posts very confusing.
Same. I have to re-read his posts a bunch just to decipher what exactly he's talking about.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 am

I don't, from what I've seen his post are well worded and succinct.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Wow, that post sure blew up. I'm was asking why there's so much discussion of a series that is supposedly hated by this forum. The focus of the thread is why the series was supposedly going to be huge (in the US?). Instead I'm just seeing the same old grumbling that the series wasn't the generic shit people expect from a shounen series.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf