Which dub character reasonably matches the original?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 am

So far as the dub goes, Goten's voice is my favorite in all of DragonBall Z. :D

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:49 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:So far as the dub goes, Goten's voice is my favorite in all of DragonBall Z. :D

~Da Lemmy
I'm going to have to second this. XD
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Goten, Trunks and kid Goku's voices are all guilty of having that scratchy horrid kind of noise when a woman tries to sound like a young boy.

It's all nails on a chalkboard to me.
I'd say women all have that raspy tone when they try do it. At least in the western world anyway, just look at Nancy Cartwright's Bart Simpson and Veronica Taylor's Ash from Pokemon, they're very much raspy.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:11 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Goten, Trunks and kid Goku's voices are all guilty of having that scratchy horrid kind of noise when a woman tries to sound like a young boy.

I'd say women all have that raspy tone when they try do it. At least in the western world anyway, just look at Nancy Cartwright's Bart Simpson and Veronica Taylor's Ash from Pokemon, they're very much raspy.
I wouldn't call that a "raspy" voice. It's a little nasally and higher-pitched, but that's the inherent sound of a young boy. Same would go for a couple of the characters on Rugrats; little boys played by a woman can still be "cute" without being raspy. It's a matter of talent and direction.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:

I wouldn't call that a "raspy" voice. It's a little nasally and higher-pitched, but that's the inherent sound of a young boy. Same would go for a couple of the characters on Rugrats; little boys played by a woman can still be "cute" without being raspy. It's a matter of talent and direction.
While I agree about Cartwright's Bart being nasally and high-pitched, in my opinion, there is still a touch of raspyness in the voice, but in a good way.

And about the Rugrats, technically they are "babies/toddlers" which in my book, is easier to be less raspy when coming up with a voice to suit a character that age. It's not like they *have* to lower their voice for a pre-teen boy for example.
[quote="Roshi in DB Evolution"]Believe it punk, you're getting your clock, cleaned![/quote]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/DBHighDef]My old YouTube is back up and running![/url]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm

DBHighDefinition wrote:And about the Rugrats, technically they are "babies/toddlers" which in my book, is easier to be less raspy when coming up with a voice to suit a character that age. It's not like they *have* to lower their voice for a pre-teen boy for example.
I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty damned scared to come across a raspy-voiced toddler.

~Da Lemmy

DBHighDefinition
Regular

Post by DBHighDefinition » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
DBHighDefinition wrote:And about the Rugrats, technically they are "babies/toddlers" which in my book, is easier to be less raspy when coming up with a voice to suit a character that age. It's not like they *have* to lower their voice for a pre-teen boy for example.
I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty damned scared to come across a raspy-voiced toddler.

~Da Lemmy
Yeah. That's what i was implying.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Did anyone mention the announcer from the Cell Games? He was pretty good.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Did anyone mention the announcer from the Cell Games? He was pretty good.
The dub named him "Jimmy Firecracker". :razz:

~Da Lemmy

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Really? That's interesting but not as interesting as "Yamcha McFox". :lol:
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:40 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Did anyone mention the announcer from the Cell Games? He was pretty good.
Characters like these are better in the dub, I think, because FUNi is better than Toei when it comes to making these people non-generic. In the Japanese version, he just kinda comments on what's going on and serves as the straight guy for Mr. Satan and pupils' goofiness. In the dub, though, he's so over the top and funny, yet still a believeable news anchorman. Casting was great too.

So I'd say that guy got the "Cell Games Reenactment" treatment and turned out better in the dub than the original.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:18 pm

Uh...I dunno. I never watched much of the original. I do have to say though, just IMO, i loved Sabat's King Piccolo... He had some of my favorite villain dialogue. Like when he declared Piccolo Day or when he said (paraphrasing) "Tell me what's on your tiny little minds. i'm here for you. And I'll be sure to remove your worries - permanently."
I used to have the video of that dialogue but I lost it. Ah well.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:19 pm

MagicBox wrote:Characters like these are better in the dub, I think, because FUNi is better than Toei when it comes to making these people non-generic. In the Japanese version, he just kinda comments on what's going on and serves as the straight guy for Mr. Satan and pupils' goofiness. In the dub, though, he's so over the top and funny, yet still a believeable news anchorman. Casting was great too.
I both agree and disagree . . .

At least so far as what you say about most throwaway characters being better in the dub. So far as "Jimmy Firecracker" is concerned, then yeah-- despite one or two small shortcomings (dialogue-wise), he's a notable exception: I think he's great. :)

However, there's other instances (for me) where the casting for these characters is just absolutely horrid. The best example I can think of is the frightened reporter guy who makes a feeble attempt to interview Cell a few days before the Games actually get underway-- the one who buffed up in pads and other protective gear and got his ass kicked stright out of the arena. His voice was just . . . well, bad. Hilariously bad, I guess, but still very bad. "Ain't no way in hell that I'll ever get laid" bad.

HOWEVER, it's worth noting that the voice for that character was replaced in the Season Six release. It's much better now.

~Da Lemmy

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 pm

They did that eventually. Except for Dil, who didn't really talk much on the original show.

Have to say, one voice don't know if I would say matched, but was glad it didn't was Mr. Sabat's Popo. Thought his Popo voice was better than the Japanese, which sounded bad and dumb sounding, especially coupled with how he looked. Mr. Sabat's voice gave the goofy yet wise sound to him, and made him more tolerable to me.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Just rewatched World's Strongest tonight, and I really like R. Bruce Elliott's turn as Dr. Wheelo.
Trunks & Goten forever

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote: HOWEVER, it's worth noting that the voice for that character was replaced in the Season Six release. It's much better now.

~Da Lemmy

Really? :shock:
How does he sound now? I mean, is it a different VA?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:46 am

Why do all the babies in Funi's dub use Nadalny's voice? It seems utterly pointless to dub in voices that don't speak,, and Nozawa's way better at imitating a baby's cry.
Last edited by SaiyaMel on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Saiyan...

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:08 am

Chuquita wrote:How does he sound now? I mean, is it a different VA?
It's listed as a completely different VA. The performance is much more subdued and, in my opinion, credible. Especially compared to what was replaced.

~Da Lemmy

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:26 pm

What did people think of Funi's voice for Future tRUNKS?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Nikkolas wrote:What did people think of Funi's voice for Future tRUNKS?
Dead on....just as great as the Japanese VA.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.