Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 81

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:13 am

So weird seeing the same names all the time, does anybody has an idea about this?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 am

They could be rushing through episodes so that the in-house staff can work on later episodes ahead of schedule, but I think that it is more likely that everyone else is busy working on other Toei projects.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:06 am

Just wondering, what do people think the highlight of the episode was? For me it was this scene during Goku's and Toppo's fight. Really liked the effects and rotations in the scene.
[spoiler]Crappy webm

[/spoiler]

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:37 am

JazzMazz wrote:Just wondering, what do people think the highlight of the episode was? For me it was this scene during Goku's and Toppo's fight. Really liked the effects and rotations in the scene.
[spoiler]Crappy webm

[/spoiler]
I suscribe to that, and I really liked the Kame Hame Ha scene too. That was a strong moment that got me hyped thanks to the way things looked.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:50 am

The first half was nothing special, but the second half was great. This episode without a doubt had the highest level of outsourcing. There was some rough art throughout the episode but Kitano's part was really bad honestly. So I guess we had a decent run of action packed episodes. I would have also liked to see this level of outsourcing during the latter stages of the FT arc, but I believe it would have been impossible to do it because the schedule was very tight. In this case however, the 10 week filler must have at the least given them some time to plan out and outsource these episodes. That's just my guess anyways.

The NEP looked really nice. The art looked great and so did the post processing as well. The small piece of action between Kuririn and Bergamo looked nice as well.

Who is incharge of the next episode btw ?

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 am

dhaval_dongre wrote:
The NEP looked really nice. The art looked great and so did the post processing as well. The small piece of action between Kuririn and Bergamo looked nice as well.

Who is incharge of the next episode btw ?
I'm pretty sure that Kuririn was fighting Basil in that scene. I think the scene was done by Futoshi, maybe with 2nd KA corrections by Itai, but I can't really confirm it.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:06 am

JazzMazz wrote: I'm pretty sure that Kuririn was fighting Basil in that scene. I think the scene was done by Futoshi, maybe with 2nd KA corrections by Itai, but I can't really confirm it.
Yep, that did looked like Higashide, but I meant to ask who is the supervisor for the next episode. Is it Nashizawa ? I know that Yashima, Ishikawa and Nashizawa are going to be in charge of the next few episodes, but not exactly sure who is for the next one though.

On a second thought if its Nashizawa, he might also be the one responsible for that Kuririn fight, even though it does look like Higashide.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 am

This is the staff list for #83 :)
Scenario: Yoshifumi Fukushima
Storyboard: Hiroyuki Kakudō & Kiyosato Yamamoto
Director: Hideki Hiroshima
Animation supervisor: Kōji Nashizawa

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 am

Sodhi wrote:This is the staff list for #83 :)
Scenario: Yoshifumi Fukushima
Storyboard: Hiroyuki Kakudō & Kiyosato Yamamoto
Director: Hideki Hiroshima
Animation supervisor: Kōji Nashizawa
Thanks a lot :D

Shreyas_Singh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shreyas_Singh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:35 am

Today's animation was decent but the action didn't have that "oomph" to it like Tate and Higashide's work in the earlier 3 episodes. There were a lot of run of the mill camera angles and loops which weren't as interesting as the loop animation for the Gohan episode,even the choreography was basic. Very clichéd fight to be honest, next one looks better.
Feel free to correct me if I say something wrong.

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:26 am

Ajay wrote:
My guess at the moment is Hirotaka Nii, himself. The effects and smears match the action in the first half, and since he was top credited, it's probably quite likely that it was him.

Itai corrected almost the entire sequence, so you can't tell by character art, sadly.
Hmm, that's unfortunate. He also only has a single upload on sakugabooru and it's for Gintama (which I haven't seen) so there really doesn't seem like there's a reliable way for me to learn to identify his work right now. :(
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:34 am

We haven't had a recap episode since the beginning of the U6 arc right? Think it would be ideal if they utilized one right before the ToP started.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:36 am

Alee9977 wrote:So weird seeing the same names all the time, does anybody has an idea about this?
The possible situations, as I see it.
A. The worst has happened and Super has lost a bunch of its core staff. I think this is the least likely.
B. Heavy outsourcing is being used to allow Toei to focus on future episodes, but we're seeing a couple core staff names over and over because they are staying behind to make sure things stay together.
C. Some issues arose during the production of this block so certain people (like Kitano) had to sacrifice time on future episodes to help current episodes.

The consistency of the outsourcing and the fact that certain names aren't showing up over and over again makes me think B. It we get the next staff listings and Karasawa is on there that adds credence to B as well.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 am

Hey guys, how're you going?
I did a little video comparison between episode 82 preview and the actual episode to see what changes there is. Here it is: https://youtu.be/CQlAXedZfco

Mostly background changes and color corrections with Topo!

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:17 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
Alee9977 wrote:So weird seeing the same names all the time, does anybody has an idea about this?
The possible situations, as I see it.
A. The worst has happened and Super has lost a bunch of its core staff. I think this is the least likely.
B. Heavy outsourcing is being used to allow Toei to focus on future episodes, but we're seeing a couple core staff names over and over because they are staying behind to make sure things stay together.
C. Some issues arose during the production of this block so certain people (like Kitano) had to sacrifice time on future episodes to help current episodes.

The consistency of the outsourcing and the fact that certain names aren't showing up over and over again makes me think B. It we get the next staff listings and Karasawa is on there that adds credence to B as well.
My guess is that Super is slowly becoming more and more successful and maybe they saw some "strong" increases in revenue, so they decided to focus on stabilizing the show? Basically, it looks like they try to outsource 1-2 months of work as an attempt to cover their initial mistakes with pre-production.
In my opinion (+based on information from ajay), 5-6 months is a good pre-production period and super only had 2-3. So they struggle to gain these extra 2-3 months missing from the production in order to stabilize. Their plan might be to "reset" the series schedule and attempt a new beginning with animators actually having time to work and the quality increasing. I don't expect Toei producing hxh or Naruto level of animation in their weekly series but if they can be like tiger mask w, then in the animation department the series would be more than ok. (script-wise.......yeah lets hope Toyotaro can pass the anime.....we need him like now!!)Heck once tiger mask ends (hopefully it has a lot more episodes because it is a great show) maybe some of the staff can transfer to an and further improve the schedule. I think that FT saga was their attempt to initiate a "let's make the show aesthetically good" but due to the last episodes been so full of good looking battles, their plan had to be paused and their plan is reaching its most important point now. Succeeding could improve everything. (makes sense. They should be planning something)
Of course I could be wrong and the series is more than halfway dead and these episodes are basically the production going all out till it collapses. (naaaaah it sounds extreme)

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm

I kinda wish Kitano would draw like this more instead of trying and failing to follow the character designs.
It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's kinda pleasant and it's 100 times better than a lot of his art.

Also did you guys notice that they dumped the bloom on the Kaioshin planet?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:00 pm

This episode's art was not that bad, but quite average as it seems
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Noah wrote:This episode's art was not that bad, but quite average as it seems
It wasn't bad, Kitano is the one that ruined the good art the episode had although what he did was acceptable.
ArchedThunder wrote:I kinda wish Kitano would draw like this more instead of trying and failing to follow the character designs.
It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's kinda pleasant and it's 100 times better than a lot of his art.

Also did you guys notice that they dumped the bloom on the Kaioshin planet?
That seems to be a correction more than a shot 100% Kitano.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Alee9977 wrote:That seems to be a correction more than a shot 100% Kitano.
Doesn't look corrected to me.

His close-ups this week were fine. Even Beerus looking like a dog isn't badly drawn, it's just incredibly off-model.

The mid to long shots are the issue.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm

The effects when Goku went SSJ and later SSBKK were very satisfying.