Dragonball Evolution - SPOILERS Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:59 am

YEAH a spoiler thread. How did I miss this? God I'm so oblivious.

From the DBE speculation thread.
Milton wrote:
MisterFlashdude wrote:Uber spoiler link of doom.
"I compel you, come forth and grant my wish"?

Ugh...all I had was a flashback to Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

"I implore you to reconsider!"
I wish I said it first.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 am

Bussani wrote: #17 and #18 were built from a human base. If anything they're cyborgs, not robots. We don't know if they actually have ki or not -- they may have it but it's too weak to notice, since they never use it.

How Trunks recognized any ki #17 would have is the real question.
Cell had difficulty finding #17 and #18 in Trunks' timeline. He also had trouble finding #18 in the present timeline. This insists that they didn't have Ki that could be sensed. Especially if he had to rely on stalking Trunks in the future, as well as going towards Piccolo's Ki during his fight with #17 in the present.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:31 am

Tsukento wrote:This insists that they didn't have Ki that could be sensed.
Exactly. That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there. Even if they did give off ki, they'd probably just feel like 2 normal humans.

But yeah, still doesn't make much sense that Trunks sensed him in GT. That's GT for you.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:44 am

Bussani wrote:Yeah, that makes way more sense. [/sarcasm]

It ki can lift rocks, make water flow up and send people flying, it can move air.
Goku thrusts his hands back and forth really fast and creates a wind using his physical strength. Simple as that.

I'm not saying ki can't move air but there's no real indication that Goku did so during that moment.

...God, I'm arguing over a filler scene. :P

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:00 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Goku thrusts his hands back and forth really fast and creates a wind using his physical strength. Simple as that.

I'm not saying ki can't move air but there's no real indication that Goku did so during that moment.

There's no indication that he didn't, either.

If I built a robot arm that thrust with 486394787348936 pounds of thrust, I doubt it would blow anyone over. I know it's a filler scene in a goofy kung fu manga, but that's no reason to pick the less logical explanation.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:11 am

QUESTION:

I heard the term "Saiyan" used in the Movie from the Jr. Novels. Is this true? If so, how is it pronounced? "Sigh-an" or "Say-an"?

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 am

Bussani wrote:If I built a robot arm that thrust with 486394787348936 pounds of thrust, I doubt it would blow anyone over.
We're talking about a series where a twelve-year-old boy destroys a stack of bricks with his finger. Real world logic doesn't work here. :P

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:59 am

Bussani wrote:
Brad Redfield wrote:Goku thrusts his hands back and forth really fast and creates a wind using his physical strength. Simple as that.

There's no indication that he didn't, either.

If I built a robot arm that thrust with 486394787348936 pounds of thrust, I doubt it would blow anyone over. I know it's a filler scene in a goofy kung fu manga, but that's no reason to pick the less logical explanation.
Didn't he do the same thing to ChiChi at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:17 am

Brad Redfield wrote:We're talking about a series where a twelve-year-old boy destroys a stack of bricks with his finger. Real world logic doesn't work here. :P
I'd put that down to ki, too.

But if you want to throw logic out the window and just make up any old explanation, be my guest.

Edit: My point is, why say 'logic doesn't apply' and pick an impractical explanation when you have a mystical energy that can do practically anything?

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:21 am

Bussani wrote:I'd put that down to ki, too.
...huh?

The concept of ki wasn't even introduced in the series yet dude. He smashed the bricks out of sheer strength. That's the joke. :P
My point is, why say 'logic doesn't apply' and pick an impractical explanation when you have a mystical energy that can do practically anything?
Ki isn't the end all explanation for everything. Its one thing where some scenes are ambiguous enough for no clear-cut explanation (like the filler scene we're discussing) but its another to use ki as an explanation for other scenes that clearly don't even involve the usage of it.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:42 am

Brad Redfield wrote:The concept of ki wasn't even introduced in the series yet dude. He smashed the bricks out of sheer strength. That's the joke. :P
Strength and ki are related even if you don't realize you have it yet. Why do you think someone's battle power goes up through training? Besides, he was trained by Gohan. Don't you think he'd have taught him mind over matter?

Besides, it's one thing to say he's really strong, it's another to say he can re-write physics. Creating a gust of wind with an open handed thrust is the kind of BS I'd expect from pre-crisis Superman. :roll:
but its another to use ki as an explanation for other scenes that clearly don't even involve the usage of it.
How can you say 'clearly' when ki is invisible? A person's ki spikes when they attack, every time they attack, whether they're throwing a ki attack or just throwing a punch.

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, ki is practically the cause of everything in Dragon Ball. How do they fly? Ki. How do they deflect energy attacks? Ki. How did Goku block Trunks' sword with his finger? Ki. How did Tao Pai Pai take a kamehameha to the face without being hurt? Etc.

Heck, the new guide says that most of Gohan's training with Piccolo was just to draw out and use his ki and he was smashing boulders in no time.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:30 am

Bussani wrote:Besides, it's one thing to say he's really strong, it's another to say he can re-write physics. Creating a gust of wind with an open handed thrust is the kind of BS I'd expect from pre-crisis Superman. :roll:
Sometimes there really is no practical explanation for something in Dragon Ball other than, "That character is really strong" back when it was a gag manga.

It wouldn't be the first time something impractical would happen. I mean, Goku punched Yamcha into the top of a panel and broke it at one point. How do you explain something like that? :P

EDIT:

Edit: As far as I'm concerned, ki is practically the cause of everything in Dragon Ball. How do they fly? Ki. How do they deflect energy attacks? Ki. How did Goku block Trunks' sword with his finger? Ki. How did Tao Pai Pai take a kamehameha to the face without being hurt? Etc.
How did Arale send Blue flying high into the sky with a mere kick? As far as I know, she doesn't use ki. :P
Heck, the new guide says that most of Gohan's training with Piccolo was just to draw out and use his ki and he was smashing boulders in no time.
Fair enough. :P

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:58 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Sometimes there really is no practical explanation for something in Dragon Ball other than, "That character is really strong" back when it was a gag manga.
How did Arale send Blue flying high into the sky with a mere kick? As far as I know, she doesn't use ki. :P
You do realize she's a robot, of course? Anyway, Goku being strong enough to smash boulders doesn't bother me at all. Raw strength, that's fine, that makes sense even if it's off human levels. It's the fact that a palm, no matter how much force you put behind it, doesn't have the surface area to create wind like that.

Frankly if Goku can create that much thrust with pure strength alone then he doesn't need ki to fly, he should just flap his arms. >_>

Edit: Come to think of it, he flew by spinning his tail once. That makes even less sense.

Edit 2: We're getting off topic, so let's wrap this up; yeah, some parts of Dragon Ball don't make sense. But if I see a more logical explanation available, I'll take that one.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 am

I want to know how the fight between the Oozaru and Piccolo was.

I also want to know if they're are any cameos from anyone like Tien, etc the animals too, did Yamcha have a cat haha?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:51 am

Oozaru didn't fight Piccolo. Piccolo commanded him to attack Roshi and team which he did as Piccolo's servant.

Yep.

The only possible cameo was, I think, I heard 'Namu' announced at the 'Toisan Tournament' but when I saw the characters in the background there wasn't one that looked like him.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 am

Tsukento wrote:#17 and #18 apparently had Ki in GT.

I don't think I have to say much more about how legitimate GT is.
Just for the record, we had a big discussion about this not too long ago and #17 and #18 contributed to the Genki Dama with Ki. Now go and say Toriyama is not legitimate.
Bussani wrote:The Machine Mutants could be bio-mechanical. Which would make sense considering how Baby merges with people.
That is implied in GT; Dr. Mu tells Kakarrot that he was going to turn him into a machine mutant. Kakarrot asked what would he look like and the good doctor said that he was pretty much look like Rilld. The timeline in the GT Perfect Files tells us:
Age 760-770: Planet M2 is completed
Doctor Mu makes the alien Rild a general, in addition to restructuring his body. At the same time, the super gigantic planet-type machine mutant (Planet M2) is completed, its functions having been linked to General Rild. Using Planet M2 as a base, the M2 Army begins gathering energy from throughout the universe.
Therefore, from this Rilld began as an organic being that was somehow melded with machinery to become a techno-organic being.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:07 am

Keep it on-topic, folks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Look what I started. Sorry Mike.

Anyhow, was it a pretty sight to see Chetku transform into an Oozaru?

Also, if anyone has links to ending clips, post them!
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Hey, I have one more question that I'm surprised apparently hasn't been asked yet.

"I'm not ready for this." Did Goku ever utter these words within the film? If so, when and under what context?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Anyhow, was it a pretty sight to see Chetku transform into an Oozaru?
Hmm, it certainly didn't look bad. There are a LOT of scenes where you'll be overwhelmed by blue screen. Goku leaping across the mutant things on lava comes to mind. But I have nothing bad to say about the transformation.

Wait scratch that.

When he transforms back into a human, they reuse footage from when he was originally transforming.

But as far as the transformation ITSELF it's not bad. Not amazing or anything but not bad.
"I'm not ready for this." Did Goku ever utter these words within the film? If so, when and under what context?
You know what, if he said it, it never stood out.

I have to be honest, I have not scratched the surface of the things they altered from the original story. Not even close. But it was not my intention to sit there with a damn notebook and nitpick the fuck out of the film's inconsistencies. I would get no joy from that. Maybe some people out for blood would but I wasn't interested in looking at every detail they changed and every character they destroyed because all I was looking for was an enjoyable film with no expectations.

That said, I turned off my laser-sight-guided Bullshit Detector and unless someone was doing something REEEEEEEEEEALLY absurd, I didn't let it phase me. So if Goku said it, he probably said it at some inconsequential junction because he had plenty of confidence in his fighting abilities.

I was more concerned with the scene where he's sitting in class staring at Chichi fascinating she's in a field of flowers erotically devouring a strawberry.

Again, who the hell was this movie made for?