Possible Kai hate from Z fans?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:But is it anywhere near as ENGROSSING as the original? Does it in any way grab me and suck me in?
Twenty minutes of Gohan crying and wandering lost in the woods is considered 'engrossing' to you?
I think he was specifically on the topic of the background music, there.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:56 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:But is it anywhere near as ENGROSSING as the original? Does it in any way grab me and suck me in?
Twenty minutes of Gohan crying and wandering lost in the woods is considered 'engrossing' to you?
Everyone's got their quirks. If I remember correctly, yours has something to do with adult Chi Chi in a metal bikini. :wink:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:49 pm

I haven't really seen good examples of Kai hate that make any sense. I mean, you can hate whatever you want for whatever reason, but if you're going about it in a way that needlessly berates something else, or is a personal belief that would only affect you and bother only you, you can't honestly expect to be taken seriously half the time.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:The only problem I have with it is that Funimation was practically torn a new one over the years for doing the almost exact same things that Toei is doing now to the series. It comes across a bit hypocritical on the part of the Japanese only fans.
You're crazy if you think that FUNimation put as much effort into their remastered sets as Toei put into Dragon Ball Kai.
Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc. Kai serves a purpose, it acquaints the newer generations with Dragonball. I just hope in light of the new opening animation it leads to a completely redrawn series with new setting and plot.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc. Kai serves a purpose, it acquaints the newer generations with Dragonball. I just hope in light of the new opening animation it leads to a completely redrawn series with new setting and plot.
You mean like a new GT?
Maybe they could incorporate the Jump Special and adapt DragonBall Online, although I don't know if that's possible since I haven't played the game

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Rod wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc. Kai serves a purpose, it acquaints the newer generations with Dragonball. I just hope in light of the new opening animation it leads to a completely redrawn series with new setting and plot.
You mean like a new GT?
Maybe they could incorporate the Jump Special and adapt DragonBall Online, although I don't know if that's possible since I haven't played the game
No, there was a Japanese game show that had new animation of the Kakarrot and Freeza fight, yet, it coincided with a different plot and it was very diverse from the manga and original anime. It was on youtube but I think it was taken down but you can view it here.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:The only problem I have with it is that Funimation was practically torn a new one over the years for doing the almost exact same things that Toei is doing now to the series. It comes across a bit hypocritical on the part of the Japanese only fans.
You're crazy if you think that FUNimation put as much effort into their remastered sets as Toei put into Dragon Ball Kai.
Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc. Kai serves a purpose, it acquaints the newer generations with Dragonball. I just hope in light of the new opening animation it leads to a completely redrawn series with new setting and plot.
Right, the remastered sets weren't made with the more "hardcore" fans in mind. And yet you're surprised that they bashed that product while embracing Kai?

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc.
FUNimation's remastering was a hook to get people to buy the DVDs all over again. If you think they did what they did to fulfill some sort of grand vision they had, then you're naive. They needed something to spark an interest in the series again, and obviously the Ultimate Uncuts weren't doing the trick. The entire thing is deceptive as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that 99% of people will never pick over each episode with a fine toothed comb is exactly what FUNi hopes for, and why they can basically do whatever they want.

I never check the content labels on my food, because I'm an idiot consumer who just trusts that it's good, "look, the front of the box says 50% less fat!" The way things are presented to us can be deceptive, it's the nature of the market, but at least food is legally bound to have those content labels somewhere on the box. FUNimation never gave us this courtesy, and bent over backwards to bullshit us. That's my issue with the bricks.

And don't be mistaken, Kai is a complete revision on the series to attract people who couldn't be bothered with Z. Not too different from FUNimation's new hook, the difference here is that Toei isn't trying to trick people into thinking that it's "DragonBall Z remastered!" It's clearly labeled as something completely new (not to mention they put some real effort into it so it's not such a blatant cash-in). But incase you haven't noticed, Kai is being picked over with a fine toothed comb by the hardcore fans, just like FUNi's stuff.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:20 pm

DBW wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Funimation worked with what they had and they did what they could without paying a ridiculous price to Toei for some masters. When you are out to make profit they made the smart move, they would rather satisfy the masses instead of a small group of fans in comparison to the larger group. I seriously doubt the larger body of consumers picks over each episode with a fine toothed comb in order to find every inconsistency or glitch etc.
FUNimation's remastering was a hook to get people to buy the DVDs all over again. If you think they did what they did to fulfill some sort of grand vision they had, then you're naive. They needed something to spark an interest in the series again, and obviously the Ultimate Uncuts weren't doing the trick. The entire thing is deceptive as far as I'm concerned, and the fact that 99% of people will never pick over each episode with a fine toothed comb is exactly what FUNi hopes for, and why they can basically do whatever they want.

I never check the content labels on my food, because I'm an idiot consumer who just trusts that it's good, "look, the front of the box says 50% less fat!" The way things are presented to us can be deceptive, it's the nature of the market, but at least food is legally bound to have those content labels somewhere on the box. FUNimation never gave us this courtesy, and bent over backwards to bullshit us. That's my issue with the bricks.

And don't be mistaken, Kai is a complete revision on the series to attract people who couldn't be bothered with Z. Not too different from FUNimation's new hook, the difference here is that Toei isn't trying to trick people into thinking that it's "DragonBall Z remastered!" It's clearly labeled as something completely new (not to mention they put some real effort into it so it's not such a blatant cash-in). But incase you haven't noticed, Kai is being picked over with a fine toothed comb by the hardcore fans, just like FUNi's stuff.
To most of us "ordinary" consumers we just wanted all the episodes at a cheap price, I really do not care about all the things that people bitch about on here. Funimation could have said that Toriyama was “Cranking that Vegeta!” on a bonus disk as far as I care as long as they were of better quality than they were in the past. Hell they could have been VHS quality and I still would have bought them because they were cheap. It was a show that reminded me of my childhood and I watch them for that purpose only. I have no stakes in Funimation or Toei. My life does not change one iota if the disks are of Dragonbox quality or not. Like I said earlier as far as their actions is concerned it is just about the same as what Funimation did regardless of whether they were truly remastered or not.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:To most of us "ordinary" consumers we just wanted all the episodes at a cheap price, I really do not care about all the things that people bitch about on here.
Amen to that, but honestly, just let some of us bitch. Like I said, I don't care about food content, but some people do, right to the point of doing studies about it, harassing the companies, and pressuring government. I just ignore it. Unless the people are coming and bothering you out of nowhere, I see no issue (if some dork tries to stop you from buying the DVDs while in a store, by all means, knock that little bitch out).

But c'mon man, you're on a DragonBall forum. Don't cry when some of us hardcore nutjobs come out of the woodwork every now and then. :P

Seriously, though, my distaste for FUNi comes from being screwed by them in the past. I'm the guy who bought every VHS, then every DVD single, then the boxes, etc. right up until 2003 when I got the Dragon Boxes. It was lame.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:50 pm

DBW wrote:...if some dork tries to stop you from buying the DVDs while in a store, by all means, knock that little bitch out...
I like the way you think. :D

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, I can't speak for others, but...

I for one, won't hate Kai because I love Z. To the contrary, I feel like Kai is adding to Z, not taking away. I don't think I hate anything about my DB fandom. I will accept Kai with open arms, like I do with DBGT, DBE, the dub, and movie 4.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

There are valid reasons to like or dislike Kai. I'm somewhere in the middle. I like the new opening, ending and eye-catches. I like the new colors. I like the idea of removing a lot of the filler and I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends up flowing, for better or worse. But I guess I don't really like or dislike it yet, since it's only been 1 episode and is essentially just watching Z again.

But yeah, don't turn this into another war between people who love it and people who hate it. Neither side is right or wrong.

ShinRogafuken
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ShinRogafuken » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 pm

You know, most Kai haters tend to be the type who have only been exposed to the Bruce-Faulconer-rockstyle-FUNi-Dub-Chris-Sabat-It's-Over-9000 version of DBZ.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:You know, most Kai haters tend to be the type who have only been exposed to the Bruce-Faulconer-rockstyle-FUNi-Dub-Chris-Sabat-It's-Over-9000 version of DBZ.
I can tell you right now that this generalization isn't true.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:31 pm

As SSj Kaboom said, there will always be haters, and trying to analyze them is completely pointless, and in some degrees wrong if you haven't equally or better analyzed the fan-group that could be considered supporters.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 pm

ShinRogafuken wrote:You know, most Kai haters tend to be the type who have only been exposed to the Bruce-Faulconer-rockstyle-FUNi-Dub-Chris-Sabat-It's-Over-9000 version of DBZ.
Really? Throw some electric guitars in the background, make everything bright and vibrant and speed through the anime at A.D.D speed, I'd think you'd have some very happy dubbies.

Gah still trying not to hate on the dub. Sorry for the relapse.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 am

I saw DBZ raw before Funi even had it.

I don't like what Funi did for the orange bricks, and I certainly don't like what Toei has done for Kai (I won't get into it like I did in the chatroom).

I'll support what I like, and I will hate what I hate.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:To most of us "ordinary" consumers we just wanted all the episodes at a cheap price, I really do not care about all the things that people bitch about on here. Funimation could have said that Toriyama was “Cranking that Vegeta!” on a bonus disk as far as I care as long as they were of better quality than they were in the past. Hell they could have been VHS quality and I still would have bought them because they were cheap.
..Saiyan Professor, I just gained muchos respect for you. Ditto! :D