Kai Episode 2 (12 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Well, the 2nd episode of the new series of DBZ has aired, I have seen it, so let me say...

I'm still sort of having the same thoughts as I did after watching the first episode, the BGM is still sounding similar as it did last week, some bits good, some not, I still get the overall feel that I'm standing in the queue for a theme park ride, that's what the BGM reminds me of to be honest!I do agree with Coola Yagami, the piece that plays at the end is kind of cool and has a good vibe to it. Also the cuts were easily noticable, a lot was removed, even stuff that's relative to the viewer. How does Goku know where to find Gohan? I know I know, but some people might not, also Radditz closing Gohan in his spaceship, that wasn't a big deal, but the part about him suspecting Gohan's 710 power level wasn't concluded with the shock of realising his scouter wasn't malfunctioning when Goku and Piccolo arrive, parts like that should've been left untouched as it's the start of the audience learning of Gohan's hidden powers.

I'm not bothered about the pacing, I'm all for the fast movingness, but they need to properly work out what and what doesn't need removing, I thought this would be faithful to the manga, but I'm beginning to think Toei aren't concerned about making Kai accurate to the manga, I bet we even see cetain filler scenes while stuff that was present in the manga will still be cut out.

On a positive note, the voices seem like after a few more episodes they will gradually improve as the VA's start to get used to the voices they done over a decade ago, Bulma sound a bit better, and I'd give Piccolo a few more episodes and he'll sound better.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Just to quickly point out, watching the Porygon episode at this point will not cause any seizures for a few reasons.

-The episode's never been released on VHS or DVD. The only way to see it again is to refer to a recording of the episode on tape.

-Due to the episode's popularity, finding a high quality version on tape is almost impossible as most copies are recorded from other tapes, thus killing the quality. There's also the manner of VHS recordings losing quality due to multiple watchings over time.

-Should you actually find the HQ version floating around on the internet, don't expect anything more than a headache or slight eye irritation. For some reason, computer monitors don't display the same way as TV monitors do, so the flashing won't have the same effect.

-Plus there's also the factor of the HQ version possibly not being the best version aside from the actual episode itself.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Bejiita wrote:I'm not bothered about the pacing, I'm all for the fast movingness, but they need to properly work out what and what doesn't need removing, I thought this would be faithful to the manga, but I'm beginning to think Toei aren't concerned about making Kai accurate to the manga, I bet we even see cetain filler scenes while stuff that was present in the manga will still be cut out.
I'm betting this'll get a lot better about cutting things down when we get past this and more into terriroties that have lots of filler. Right now they don't have too much to work with so it's gonna look a lot like Dragonball Z if they keep it all in. Later, when the differences will be more obvious, they can relax and not cut so many random side conversations.

Bejiita
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bejiita » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:58 pm

Kendamu wrote:I'm betting this'll get a lot better about cutting things down when we get past this and more into terriroties that have lots of filler. Right now they don't have too much to work with so it's gonna look a lot like Dragonball Z if they keep it all in. Later, when the differences will be more obvious, they can relax and not cut so many random side conversations.
I hope you're right, because if Toei aren't careful they can't do some damage in regards to plotholes in Kai, I know the answers will all be there in Z (well apart from general plotholes in both versions), but if there are too many, even though all the answers are in Z people may start to think there's no point in watching Kai as the cuts are screwing with the story too much. To fans who know everything anyway it's not a big problem, this leads me to believe Kai is purely for existing fans rather than to draw in more fans. I just hope they don't screw up due to being lazy.

For example, there may be a lot of people who haven't seen Z in ages or at all, and some people may just ask why Goku just knows where Raditz went, it's not even explained in Kai, even when Raditz asks Goku how he knows how he found him Goku doesn't tell him anyway, come to think of it that part was cut too I think. I know if you put 2 and 2 together you will notice that Goku is following the radar and that Gohan had the 4 star ball on his hat, it's just that DB has a habit of explaining stuff that's even blatant to the eye, it feels un-DBZish to not exlpain something that some fans might question. The opening episodes explain a lot, so I thought they'd 'spare' most scenes for the sake of it. There's even a part in the Freeza saga where Freeza says he can beat Goku with only 50% of his max power, then repeats himself moments later, who knows they might even leave that scene in.

I can tell that after a good 50 episodes have aired a lot of people will start making comparisons lists of the edited footage between the 2 versions and complain why Toei have left in irrelivant footage rather than vital or more interesting information in removed scenes and start using this against Kai. Only time will tell.
My DB Fan manga:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19169 [The new version]
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1942]Chapter 1
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2685]Chapter 2
Photo's I've taken of the nearby neighbourhoods where I live in South London: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8306850@N08/

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Hujio wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Did anyone else notice that the Dream 9 logo was added to the eyecatch for this episode?

*snipped images*

Here's the eyecatch for the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL6rNlRcFjA&fmt=22
They were also like that in the first episode, but everyone seems to be forgetting that since they're using the non-Fuji TV raws, which don't have the Dream9 logo on them. In fact, you even commented on it yourself right after episode 1 aired... http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... 138#249138
Oh yeah... :oops: That would explain it. How many different channels are airing Kai?
Hujio wrote:Is nobody else bummed that they're using the same title card image over, and possibly over again.
I'm pissed.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Hujio wrote:Is nobody else bummed that they're using the same title card image over, and possibly over again. It just seems kind of lazy. Not that it looks bad or anything, but I always liked all the different, and sometimes crazy, title card images. Though, I do have a feeling that they're going to give each arc its own title card image, since this appears to be the landscape shot for Vegeta and Goku's epic battle on Earth. So maybe for the Freeza arc we'll get a shot of Namek or something. But I still say some new ones would be nice.
Yeah, it's pretty boring. Even the text seems bland. Small, standard font; it really looks no different from the text used for the "sit back from the TV" warnings. I also liked how some of the Z cards were animated, and if I recall, some even blended into the episode (like the animation would pause, show the title, and then continue).
Tsukento wrote:-Due to the episode's popularity, finding a high quality version on tape is almost impossible as most copies are recorded from other tapes, thus killing the quality. There's also the manner of VHS recordings losing quality due to multiple watchings over time.
Meh, it's not too hard to find a high quality version of the original broadcast if you really want to. I also wouldn't say the episode is automatically safe just because it was transfered onto a VHS. Either way, I found this neat image showcasing the scene if anybody wants to see it without actually watching it.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/home_aki/ima ... on3822.png
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 pm

Thoughts on episode two, now that my torrent of the subs finally finished. Won't people learn to be decent and seed? :<

-The score is really growing on me. Loved the BGM that plays when Goku and Piccolo fly off.
-Mayumi Tanaka and Masako Nozawa really stood out to me for some reason.
-Whatever pacing probems episode one had don't seem to be here at all. I'll check Kanzentai for whatever was cut.
-This is definately the "Akira Toriyama Cut" to me. That being, unlike the original epsiode, I was actually really engrossed in this part of the story like I was with the manga.

Keep this up, and you might just redeem yourselves, Toei. :D
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:27 pm

Maybe it's just because this is a TV broadcast, but I feel like Toei really could have done a better job cleaning up some of the shots. There just seems to be a lot of dust/noise/garbage left in some of the larger color patches. Here's a shot from episode 2, and then a frame from a few seconds later:

I don't know, it's just something that I really noticed, especially in this episode.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 pm

I loved how Kuririn getting knocked into Kame House was the big cliffhanger ending of episode one and they didn't even bother showing the scene where he gets up out of the house. He's just randomly standing there with everybody again a few minutes into the show. Yay for new continuity errors!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 pm

I enjoyed this episode. The music was really good.

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:11 pm

Plus they didn't even show the tail/Kuririn scene again in the recap, so it's almost like it never happened.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 pm

omegacwa wrote:I enjoyed this episode. The music was really good.
Yeah, I also really like this piece (DBK_BGM_018 in my documentation). It really sounds like something from Keiju Ishikawa (the composer who did the BGM for the Gaiden OVA); anyone else see the resemblance?

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Maybe it's just because this is a TV broadcast, but I feel like Toei really could have done a better job cleaning up some of the shots. There just seems to be a lot of dust/noise/garbage left in some of the larger color patches. Here's a shot from episode 2, and then a frame from a few seconds later:

*snip*

*snip*

I don't know, it's just something that I really noticed, especially in this episode.
I'm pretty sure that's noise and damage from re encoding. We can't really say anything until someone post screens from a transport stream. I'm going to check on Share and Perfect Dark tonight to see if any exist, and I'll post screen shots if they do.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Fuji TV updated their Kai site with a screenhsot from episode 3:

Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:58 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:Fuji TV updated their Kai site with a screenhsot from episode 2:

Don't you mean "3"?
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:Fuji TV updated their Kai site with a screenhsot from episode 2:

Don't you mean "3"?
Ahh, yes I did. My brain is really gone right now...

Anyway, it seems to match up with the same screenshot we got in Jump a while back.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:15 pm

MagicBox wrote:I loved how Kuririn getting knocked into Kame House was the big cliffhanger ending of episode one and they didn't even bother showing the scene where he gets up out of the house. He's just randomly standing there with everybody again a few minutes into the show. Yay for new continuity errors!
He could've easily gotten up off-screen.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:22 pm

It wasn't really a cliffhanger. Like, the episode didn't end with "Earth's Mightiest Hero Kuririn is now quite literally in da house! Raditz is a horrible foe, deflecting our hero's mighty shooing tactic of Righteous Justice! If Kuririn can't do it, who will?!"

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Here is the preview title card for episode three (from the next episode preview in episode 2) in comparison to the preview title card for episode two:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Kendamu wrote:He could've easily gotten up off-screen.
He could have, yes, but it just looked sloppy to me. They don't show him getting up or get out of the house. They didn't even have Goku ask him if he was even okay like he originally did. I just didn't see the point of cutting that much. Granted, it's not a plothole or anything. It just came off as sloppy.
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:Like, the episode didn't end with "Earth's Mightiest Hero Kuririn is now quite literally in da house!"
LOL!

Okay, it's part of the cliffhanger. I mean, you want to see if the guy's okay, right... ? ;)
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs