Do you think this "DBE" movie garnered any new fan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mystic trunks
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you think this "DBE" movie garnered any new fan

Post by mystic trunks » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 pm

Do you think anyone would, after seeing this movie, have interest in watching the series?

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:24 pm

I don't see why not(Controversial Comment). It rekindled my interest in the Daimao Arc.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:26 pm

[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:32 pm

Hard to say. I would say younger kids who enjoyed it might, although they might already have been fans?

Anyway, yes, I'm sure there are younger kids who enjoyed it and would like to see more.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Re: Do you think this "DBE" movie garnered any new

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:44 pm

mystic trunks wrote:Do you think anyone would, after seeing this movie, have interest in watching the series?
I think there will be new fans but their reactions would take on various forms. Those that really liked the movie would see that the original series is very different and run off to read/watch Naruto. Then you would have the group that understood that the movie was purposely made contemporary and like both. There would be also those that reject the movie for the original and finally the crowd that would dislike the original and wait on the DBE anime/manga.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Many of the younger people who enjoyed (I talking like 11 year olds) the movie probably don't realize that it is based of a manga/anime. I really can't see too many new fans being generated from this movie. The movie and the manga/anime are too different for much of the fanbase to drift towards the original.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:59 pm

If someone can get into Dragon Ball after watching the Funi dub, I really can't see any argument to the contrary as valid.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:48 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:If someone can get into Dragon Ball after watching the Funi dub, I really can't see any argument to the contrary as valid.
The funi dub still had the action, character designs and core characters of Toriyama's work. People can cry and say they were completely different. But there is enough of the original in the dub to hook new fans. This movie has hardly anything in common with Dragonball.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:02 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:If someone can get into Dragon Ball after watching the Funi dub, I really can't see any argument to the contrary as valid.
The funi dub still had the action, character designs and core characters of Toriyama's work. People can cry and say they were completely different. But there is enough of the original in the dub to hook new fans. This movie has hardly anything in common with Dragonball.
I'd personally argue that DB:E has far more to do with Dragon Ball than the Funi dub, ESPECIALLY the early Funi/Saban dub, ever even tried to have.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:09 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:
I'd personally argue that DB:E has far more to do with Dragon Ball than the Funi dub, ESPECIALLY the early Funi/Saban dub, ever even tried to have.
You would lose because the dub still had to use the foundation set by Toriyama. His designs, his characters, his core story. None of which that movie had.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:25 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote: The funi dub still had the action, character designs and core characters of Toriyama's work. People can cry and say they were completely different. But there is enough of the original in the dub to hook new fans. This movie has hardly anything in common with Dragonball.
You would lose because the dub still had to use the foundation set by Toriyama. His designs, his characters, his core story. None of which that movie had.
Other than re-using the footage, what else do we get?

Characters. Dub Yamucha is incredibly similar to movie Yamucha. Surfer dude with stupid lines. "Cat loves food" and the Bulma's foot massage thing didn't show up, and as such, DB:E Yamucha wins. DB:E Roshi gets points for actually getting "Muten" in there, while also actually having a serious moment or two without an insanely goofy and overdone old man voice behind it. DB:E Goku is even with dub Goku. Dub Goku is a cheesy super hero type. Dub Goku fights for Truth, Justice, and Love, and to Save the Earth. DB:E Goku is on the opposite side of the Not Goku spectrum, but just as far away.

The core story? Like Goku's father being a brilliant scientist? Goku fighting the Ginyu Tokusentai and Freeza out of a sense of super-heroic justice? Gero being the leader of Red Ribbon Army? Or are you talking the REALLY broad story? For example, Goku must defeat Piccolo, who was sealed in a jar by the Mafuba, before the demon collects the Dragon Balls and takes over the world?

DB:E never gave us "Rock the Dragon", nor did it give us a heavy synth rock soundtrack that constantly blares in the background because Americans are too stupid to comprehend moments of silence. The tone of the movie, however misguided a VAST majority of it was, kept in the spirit of a martial arts action flick and NOT whatever the hell it was Funi decided Dragon Ball was in order to market it here.

DB:E is terrible, but it retains the spirit of Dragon Ball in a far greater and more effective capacity than the dub ever has.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:26 am

Victator Supreme wrote:The funi dub still had the action, character designs and core characters of Toriyama's work. People can cry and say they were completely different. But there is enough of the original in the dub to hook new fans. This movie has hardly anything in common with Dragonball.

This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier, but never posted because I couldn't figure out how to phrase it. ^^;

For the record I was originally hooked by the Funi dub; old Ocean episodes and the infamous Season 3 no less. :3

As for do I think people would get into the series after being interested in the live action movie? I second the motion of the below quote on that:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
mystic trunks wrote:Do you think anyone would, after seeing this movie, have interest in watching the series?
I think there will be new fans but their reactions would take on various forms. Those that really liked the movie would see that the original series is very different and run off to read/watch Naruto. Then you would have the group that understood that the movie was purposely made contemporary and like both. There would be also those that reject the movie for the original and finally the crowd that would dislike the original and wait on the DBE anime/manga.

Aw man, my reply is just lots of quotes. ^^;;;
I feel like I'm writing a term paper...
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:47 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote: I'd personally argue that DB:E has far more to do with Dragon Ball than the Funi dub, ESPECIALLY the early Funi/Saban dub, ever even tried to have.
Other than re-using the footage, what else do we get?

Characters. Dub Yamucha is incredibly similar to movie Yamucha. Surfer dude with stupid lines. "Cat loves food" and the Bulma's foot massage thing didn't show up, and as such, DB:E Yamucha wins. DB:E Roshi gets points for actually getting "Muten" in there, while also actually having a serious moment or two without an insanely goofy and overdone old man voice behind it. DB:E Goku is even with dub Goku. Dub Goku is a cheesy super hero type. Dub Goku fights for Truth, Justice, and Love, and to Save the Earth. DB:E Goku is on the opposite side of the Not Goku spectrum, but just as far away.

The core story? Like Goku's father being a brilliant scientist? Goku fighting the Ginyu Tokusentai and Freeza out of a sense of super-heroic justice? Gero being the leader of Red Ribbon Army? Or are you talking the REALLY broad story? For example, Goku must defeat Piccolo, who was sealed in a jar by the Mafuba, before the demon collects the Dragon Balls and takes over the world?

DB:E never gave us "Rock the Dragon", nor did it give us a heavy synth rock soundtrack that constantly blares in the background because Americans are too stupid to comprehend moments of silence. The tone of the movie, however misguided a VAST majority of it was, kept in the spirit of a martial arts action flick and NOT whatever the hell it was Funi decided Dragon Ball was in order to market it here.

DB:E is terrible, but it retains the spirit of Dragon Ball in a far greater and more effective capacity than the dub ever has.
Thats all it needs. It followed the story Toriyama did. The dub of DBZ was at best 95 percent faithful to the origonal script at its best. About 85 percent at its worst. Now did it have some incredibly dumb lines in th inaccurate area. It sure does. I've went to the japanese audio track many times. (Please note that I'm not going by the Saban dub. Which has a lower percentage but still higher than that movie.)

But you are comparing dumb lines during incidental dialogue to butchering the main character. Funi and Toei may of not been on the same page at all times but they were at least reading the same book.

In the case of the movie we should not even be comparing it to DBZ. Lets compare the funi dub to the Piccolo saga dub. This is not even a contest. This dub was pretty much perfect.

As a side note. Goku did fight Frieza and the Ginyu Force out of a " a sense of super-heroic justice". Did he want to test himself against them yes. But his primary concern was these are evil men who hurt his friends. The same reason he fought Tao, Demon King Piccolo and the Saiyans.

Some seem to lack the understanding that Goku fights to stop evil moreso than to just test himsel. This is proven by how his most dangerous fights were always when he was fighting for more than the sake of fighting.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 am

I think at the small kids case it can..... But even my six years old brother don't like that movie and got bored in half
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:48 am

Victator Supreme wrote:Other than re-using the footage, what else do we get?

DB:E is terrible, but it retains the spirit of Dragon Ball in a far greater and more effective capacity than the dub ever has. Thats all it needs. It followed the story Toriyama did. The dub of DBZ was at best 95 percent faithful to the origonal script at its best. About 85 percent at its worst. Now did it have some incredibly dumb lines in th inaccurate area. It sure does. I've went to the japanese audio track many times. (Please note that I'm not going by the Saban dub. Which has a lower percentage but still higher than that movie.)

But you are comparing dumb lines during incidental dialogue to butchering the main character. Funi and Toei may of not been on the same page at all times but they were at least reading the same book.

In the case of the movie we should not even be comparing it to DBZ. Lets compare the funi dub to the Piccolo saga dub. This is not even a contest. This dub was pretty much perfect.

As a side note. Goku did fight Freeza and the Ginyu Force out of a " a sense of super-heroic justice". Did he want to test himself against them yes. But his primary concern was these are evil men who hurt his friends. The same reason he fought Tao, Demon King Piccolo and the Saiyans.

Some seem to lack the understanding that Goku fights to stop evil moreso than to just test himsel. This is proven by how his most dangerous fights were always when he was fighting for more than the sake of fighting.
Did you know that 77% of all statistics are made up! >.>

No seriously, stop this sillyness. To try to claim that the dub was close to accurate to the original is either extremely uninformed, or extremely niave. Yes, you're right the dub has the same animation (except when they use the poor mans photoshop to edit things in the original dub of seasons one and two). They also change so much of whats being said that it completely changes the context of it. This is like saying if I go around in an old comic book, and photoshop different text that changes the context of things for comedic effect, what I'm doing is more true to the original then a movie based on said comic book because I have the original art.

For example lets say I take Watchmen and instead of them arguing over social issues, they're arguing over cake, because I think social issues are too complex for kids. Oh but I have the original art, and because of how the art flows my made up story is sorta like the original. That means I can use a made up statistic to say I'm so accurate.

It's totally okay by me if you like the dub, but please, don't insult my (and everyone elses) intelligence by claiming the dub to be mostly accurate.
-Laserkid

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 am

laserkid wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:Other than re-using the footage, what else do we get?

DB:E is terrible, but it retains the spirit of Dragon Ball in a far greater and more effective capacity than the dub ever has. Thats all it needs. It followed the story Toriyama did. The dub of DBZ was at best 95 percent faithful to the origonal script at its best. About 85 percent at its worst. Now did it have some incredibly dumb lines in th inaccurate area. It sure does. I've went to the japanese audio track many times. (Please note that I'm not going by the Saban dub. Which has a lower percentage but still higher than that movie.)

As a side note. Goku did fight Freeza and the Ginyu Force out of a " a sense of super-heroic justice". Did he want to test himself against them yes. But his primary concern was these are evil men who hurt his friends. The same reason he fought Tao, Demon King Piccolo and the Saiyans.

Did you know that 77% of all statistics are made up! >.>

No seriously, stop this sillyness. To try to claim that the dub was close to accurate to the original is either extremely uninformed, or extremely niave. Yes, you're right the dub has the same animation (except when they use the poor mans photoshop to edit things in the original dub of seasons one and two). They also change so much of whats being said that it completely changes the context of it. This is like saying if I go around in an old comic book, and photoshop different text that changes the context of things for comedic effect, what I'm doing is more true to the original then a movie based on said comic book because I have the original art.

For example lets say I take Watchmen and instead of them arguing over social issues, they're arguing over cake, because I think social issues are too complex for kids. Oh but I have the original art, and because of how the art flows my made up story is sorta like the original. That means I can use a made up statistic to say I'm so accurate.

It's totally okay by me if you like the dub, but please, don't insult my (and everyone elses) intelligence by claiming the dub to be mostly accurate.
I have been watching the dub with subtitles for months now. Most of it is pretty accurate. Much more than its given credit for.

So no dickhead its not made up. Go fuck yourself for calling me a liar.

Oh BTW asshole, that comic would still be much more faithfull than a comic that was completely redrawn with a different story.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:34 am

Victator Supreme wrote:I have been watching the dub with subtitles for months now. Most of it is pretty accurate. Much more than its given credit for.

So no dickhead its not made up. Go fuck yourself for calling me a liar.

Oh BTW asshole, that comic would still be much more faithfull than a comic that was completely redrawn with a different story.
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan you feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the looooooooooooooooooooove toooooooniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:21 am

The US dub accurate to Japanese original...... total bullshit
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 am

MCDaveG wrote:The US dub accurate to Japanese original...... total bullshit
No its not. It had some shitty lines in it. But overall it told the same story. Don't believe me, take out the dvd's watch a random episode with subs on. If its not mostly accurate, I'll kiss your ass.

Oh and kindly fuck yourself.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:44 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:The US dub accurate to Japanese original...... total bullshit
No its not. It had some shitty lines in it. But overall it told the same story. Don't believe me, take out the dvd's watch a random episode with subs on. If its not mostly accurate, I'll kiss your ass.

Oh and kindly fuck yourself.
Dude, chill out.

It's not worth getting worked up over.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D