Kai Episode 4 (26 April 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:38 pm

I think Kuririn goes to tell them, chickens out, goes back to Kame House, Chichi follows him, they find out in Kame-House.

If I'm right, there was no reason for the filler, but I'm not sure

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:57 pm

This is easily my favorite episode pace-wise so far. As far as I can tell, they didn't cut anything that I liked in this one, nor did anything feel like it was going too fast at first glance.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:10 am

Good episode. A lot happened, and Toshio Furukawa seems to be in top form. Although, can't say I'm too fond of that game show jingle theme they play during silly moments. I guess it'll grow on me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 am

Saiyavenger2941 wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:
Saiyavenger2941 wrote:far superior Orange Bricks
That's going a little far there. I am a fan but I cant classify them as far superior.
Like I said, fuck off if you've got a problem.
You're the one with the problem, not everyone has to enjoy a shitty product as much as you do.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 am

What's with all the hostility towards eachother? We're talking about opinions. It can't be imperically decided if Kai is good or not. It's whatever you think about it. And whatever you think about it is not what other people might think. Telling that you think it's shit is one thing, but you don't have to defend your position, and neither do people who like it.
Every episode conversation has turned out like this. If you don't like it fine, that's okay. If you like it, fine that's okay as well. We're supposed to discuss what's different about each episode. What they changed, what you thought was good, what you thought was bad, that's all great, everyone loves to hear opinions, but no-one's opinion is any more worth than someone else's.
This means that if someone has a problem with these episodes and what's to express his opinion that's perfectly fine, that's what these threads are for! Eventually people that don't like the show will stop caring and stop visiting these threads, but to tell them to fuck off is just stupid. Everyone has a right to their opinion, now please stop with telling people to go away if they don't like it.

Right, with that rant over... I haven't yet seen this episode, but this part of the series a bit uninteresting so I'm looking forward to seeing if Kai can make up for it, but except for the censoring of the extreme blood I like Kai so far :p

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:52 am

Well, since Herms hasn't made his comparison with the manga yet, I'll post what I find out. Turns out, we didn't get that last bit of Nappa's and Vegeta's dialogue from Chapter 204, where they talk about Gohan and an hybird's potential, but the missing panels with Gokuu vanishing are there.

Anyway, this episode only covered chapters 205 and 206, from volume 18. Let me know if something's missing or if I made some mistake.

From Chapter 205

After Kamesennin questions how Kami-sama took Gokuu, and what he intends to do, he originally had an additional line saying that as long as it is Kami-sama, they could rest assured.

After Piccolo regenerates his arm, in the manga, before Kuririn says "like a lizard's tail", Bulma said it grew back. This line was removed.

After Piccolo claims that he is going to take Gohan, Kuririn questions what he intends to do with him. He then says that Piccolo will eat him, and Piccolo starts shouting "Eat him?!". This little, humorous dialogue was missing.

After Piccolo takes Gohan with him, Kuririn originally remarks how Gokuu and Chichi are going to be angry.

The introduction to the Next World seems to be shortened. The first two pannels don't appear in the episode, almost immediately showing Kami-sama along side with Gokuu.

Right after Gokuu starts the Snake Road, uses Bukujutsu. In the manga, the assistant that explains him the course and takes his note to Uranai Baba calls him a "cheater". In the anime, that line is removed.

And that's pretty much it. I don't think there's anything missing from Chapter 205. I didn't include scenes that were edited from the manga (particularly Gokuu sneezing and afterwards interrupt the use Bukujutsu; in the manga, that scene occurs differently), because the content itself is still present.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 am

rereboy wrote:
Rod wrote:I don't get why people get so worked up over censorship, I mean, sure sometimes it sucks (YippekKi yay mother*gunshot*) but it's not that bad
First time I saw Dragon Ball it was the Portuguese version.

It was great but it had a lot of censorship (much more than the american I guarantee), especially in the Freeza saga and it was very, very noticeable. Even the kids watching it knew right away when something was cut or censored.
I don't remember ever noticing any censorship at all back when I first watched DBZ as a kid. In fact, I know for a fact some parts were only censored on re-runs, such as Krillin's death.

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 am

The censorship is very noticeable in the Portuguese Dub. It degenerates from the French Dub with silly terms such as the "Guerreiros do Espaço" (which roughly translates into "Warriors From Space"), and it's filled with censorship that cuts out a great amount of blood. It's very easy to identify due to the lack of smooth transitions and the sudden change in the music's pace. Those who have watched it know what I'm talking about.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:23 am

Puto wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Rod wrote:I don't get why people get so worked up over censorship, I mean, sure sometimes it sucks (YippekKi yay mother*gunshot*) but it's not that bad
First time I saw Dragon Ball it was the Portuguese version.

It was great but it had a lot of censorship (much more than the american I guarantee), especially in the Freeza saga and it was very, very noticeable. Even the kids watching it knew right away when something was cut or censored.
I don't remember ever noticing any censorship at all back when I first watched DBZ as a kid. In fact, I know for a fact some parts were only censored on re-runs, such as Krillin's death.
I dont think thats true. First time I watched it, it was the first time it was getting aired and I was still young.

I remember perfectly seeing something very wrong with chaotzu death fighting Nappa. They cut the parts where nappa slammed himself against rocks hurting chaotzu so he could get free from him. In the PT version it only showed nappa flying around and suddenly chaotzu all full of wounds. And I remember thinking how odd that was, and that there was something missing.

Later when Goku was fighting Vegeta and he turned into ape form, the whole scene where Goku damages Vegeta`s eye isn`t shown. I remember that it was weird that Vegeta had an eye closed when in the last episode it had nothing wrong.

In the Freeza arc the deaths of Freeza henchmans were both censored and it was noticible because even the sound (audio and music) was suddenly cut off, and then it resumed in a very weird way. Also, the zarbon fight was especially heavilly censored, since it didn`t actually show how Vegeta killed him (which left me confused), and some scenes from the fight were totally cut.

Nail`s arm being cut off was also cut as was the previous filler scene were Freeza kills a bunch of Namekian warriors and It felt weird because of the audio.

Krillin`s death was also very weird and really felt that something was missing.

These were the moments that I can think of that were cut and I noticed first time I watched the series in PT version.

Later I found even more stuff that was cut or messed with that I hadn´t noticed.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:28 am

Virgil wrote: From Chapter 205

After Kamesennin questions how Kami-sama took Gokuu, and what he intends to do, he originally had an additional line saying that as long as it is Kami-sama, they could rest assured.
This line is in the show. It's said as Kuririn is walking over to Gohan's hat.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Obviously everyone's entitled to their own, but for me personally. I'll still watch Kai. Yeah there are problems, but it's still a fun watch.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 pm

As for me does not matter how much censored the material is (a grey burn instead of a black, bloody hole, etc) if most annoying fillers are left out. Today I watched the episode Cell completely owns Piccolo and goes to absorb #17 and darn it- the pace of the episode is awful.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:08 pm

Senzu_Bean wrote:As for me does not matter how much censored the material is (a grey burn instead of a black, bloody hole, etc) if most annoying fillers are left out. Today I watched the episode Cell completely owns Piccolo and goes to absorb #17 and darn it- the pace of the episode is awful.
You're basically in it for similar reasons to myself: Dragonball Z is ssssllloooowww. I don't care which version people like better, but I'm certainly not a fan of the slow version of a story I know inside and out. S'part of the reason I became a fan of the manga so early on.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Virgil wrote:The censorship is very noticeable in the Portuguese Dub. It degenerates from the French Dub with silly terms such as the "Guerreiros do Espaço" (which roughly translates into "Warriors From Space"), and it's filled with censorship that cuts out a great amount of blood. It's very easy to identify due to the lack of smooth transitions and the sudden change in the music's pace. Those who have watched it know what I'm talking about.
And incredible errors like vegeta refering to Goku as his brother.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm

RandomDbzEnthusiast wrote:
Virgil wrote:The censorship is very noticeable in the Portuguese Dub. It degenerates from the French Dub with silly terms such as the "Guerreiros do Espaço" (which roughly translates into "Warriors From Space"), and it's filled with censorship that cuts out a great amount of blood. It's very easy to identify due to the lack of smooth transitions and the sudden change in the music's pace. Those who have watched it know what I'm talking about.
Are you sure? I dont recall that

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:40 pm

rereboy wrote:
Are you sure? I dont recall that
When Goku is arriving to the battlefield, and he talks to Nappa about he refers to him as " my brother is coming " or something in that line.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:47 pm

lots of portuguese people here 8)
I don't recall the censorship in the portuguese version

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:50 pm

Deity wrote:lots of portuguese people here 8)
I don't recall the censorship in the portuguese version
Me neither i recall only the dub errors.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

We can be happy since most dub errors are at least comical with a few exceptions. :P

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 pm

And "Songoku" "understanding" that Vegeta was the one to kill his grandfather... rofl

I remember the ultra idiotic dialog, just not the censorship. Not on video anyway. (I do know they tried to change sexual references in dialog in really idiotic ways, but that's besides the point =P)