Kai Episode 6 (10 May 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 11, 2009 10:01 pm

Kak wrote:Dunno how I feel about Tenshinhan's new VA. It's not quite deep enough like his original VA Hirotaka Suzuoki, but since we've heard only one line in a casual setting, I guess it wouldn't be fair to judge just yet how well he'll be able to deliver the dialogue that he has in the Nappa fight.
I thought he was fine, but yeah, we haven't really heard enough of him to judge yet.
I agree that Yamucha sounded a bit off, though.
tlsmith1963 wrote: I thought that Japanese puns might be involved, because the jokes didn't seem to be working in the English sub. I found myself thinking, Kaio-sama isn't funny in the Japanese version, either (oh, the Funimation dub of that scene was so, so bad)?
What did that sub translate them as?
I have no idea what FUNi did with them, but in the original, yeah, they're very very bad and nonsensical pun, often involving an exclamation that "'noun' is 'verb that sounds like the noun'". The humor stems from just how lame they are, coupled with how funny Kaiou find them. It's all in the delivery.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon May 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I saw some bootlegs where the puns made even less sense. Stuff like, "This kitten... is asleep!!!!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon May 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Does anyone what next weeks episode is called?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 pm

tlsmith1963 wrote: I thought that Japanese puns might be involved, because the jokes didn't seem to be working in the English sub. I found myself thinking, Kaio-sama isn't funny in the Japanese version, either (oh, the Funimation dub of that scene was so, so bad)
The Funi dub actually had the right idea there. The puns are supposed to be really, really bad, and so the terrible English puns all fit in quite well. He thinks they're hilarious, but Goku has to be basically commanded to laugh before he actually does.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:35 pm

Rod wrote:Does anyone what next weeks episode is called?
Um... this:

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon May 11, 2009 11:41 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Um... this:

:roll: What does it mean?

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 pm

Rod wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Um... this:

*Snip*
Haha, sorry. I can't help you with that one.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon May 11, 2009 11:54 pm

Rod wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Um... this:

The top line says something about battling 10x gravity... I think.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 pm

"Fight Against Tenfold Gravity! Goku Trains by Running"

Something along those lines.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 am

This was probably the first episode of Kai that I didn't enjoy the music for. Were these new pieces? I don't usually think too much about the music, but it all seemed out of place in this episode. I'm still enjoying the faster pace, however.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 am

The music in this episode kicked so much ass. I actually wish there was a little bit more of Gohan's training just to hear that epic battle theme. Also:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2potx1k.png
http://i41.tinypic.com/k4uqeh.png
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lt4krn.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/p7soz.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/a43hqv.png
http://i43.tinypic.com/2dumtco.png

Greatest ever.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue May 12, 2009 4:57 pm

I enjoyed this episode. I think my favorite music in the whole episode was when the guys were training at Kami's.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I finally watched the first ten minutes, I gotta say I just realized I don't like Kami/Pikkoro's voice, I fell it doesn't suit him, like it's not "evil" enough for him, I realize of course Kami isn't evil, but he was evil, and it's as his voice is going to change, either way this applys to Pikkoro

Also, I hate when voice actors do the 'kgh...kgh...kgh' sound when they're struggling to do something

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Tue May 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Rod wrote:Also, I hate when voice actors do the 'kgh...kgh...kgh' sound when they're struggling to do something
My room mate and I were laughing at that last night. "I guess that's how Japanese people grunt."

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Rod wrote:Also, I hate when voice actors do the 'kgh...kgh...kgh' sound when they're struggling to do something
My room mate and I were laughing at that last night. "I guess that's how Japanese people grunt."
That's funny to me because I always said that the grunting in English is the equivalent noise. I don't know about you guys but I can't make some of the power up noises the Japanese cast makes, and I think it's mainly because of the language difference in tonal inflection.

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue May 12, 2009 7:16 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
it's been driving me crazy since, well, pretty much forever. Worst part is, my brother keeps bugging me with it making those noises, also since forever

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Rod wrote:
SSJ Helldog wrote:
it's been driving me crazy since, well, pretty much forever. Worst part is, my brother keeps bugging me with it making those noises, also since forever
Kgh.... kghh.. kghh.... *Bam* I'm SSJ Goku. Doesn't that annoy you? :lol:
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Deity
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deity » Tue May 12, 2009 8:14 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
I find myself doing these exact sounds when i'm struggling to do something, when I'm doing something physically exhausting like pushing something or trying to lift something heavy. While I don't need to make these sounds, I caught the habit and enjoy making them when the situation arises lol

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Tue May 12, 2009 9:47 pm

There's actually a slight continuity error in episode 6. I only just realised. It doesn't matter in the slightest, but I found it interesting.

Episode 6 begins six months after episode 5, presumably. Gohan is now buffed and confident, Goku has finally reached the end of Snake Way.

But Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Yajirobe... have only just begun their training? So they waited 6 months after Yajirobe told them to meet up, before going to Kami's place?
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue May 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Catterix2006 wrote: But Krillin, Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Chaozu and Yajirobe... have only just begun their training? So they waited 6 months after Yajirobe told them to meet up, before going to Kami's place?
Yep. It's even more jarring in DBZ, where you actually SEE the weeks and months pass as Kuririn sloooowly meanders around picking up his friends.