Lurkers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 am

I'm not sure if I consider myself a lurker, but I have been a DB fan since the first airings on Toonami, back when I was a kid, not the college student I am now...and the soon to be able to legally drink.

Sometimes, I feel like posting, sometimes, I just enjoy the conversations I read. I also enjoy the podcast. It's easy to appreciate when I'm on one a lot myself. But, I'm not here to advertise. I'm here to converse.

I do have all of Viz's SJ release of both DB (mostly uncut, minus Popo) and DBZ, plus a lot of the bricks and tins *used to have Trunks saga, several movies, the tv specials, and the Buu saga in VHS*. I've also gotten a lot of the games.

I'm also a fan of other Japanese comics (like Saint Seiya, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo), American comics (Green Lantern, Superman, Batman, many characters you've never likely heard off), plus books, animation, video games, etc.

Big hobby guy, when I'm not in college.

But, yeah, long time Dragon Ball fan.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Bardock the Mexican
Regular

Post by Bardock the Mexican » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 am

I used to contribute here a great deal. I then found other websites and better things other than Dragonball. I still like talking about it and doing a look around here every now and then. It's really just a nostalgia thing and not like I just lurk here. I wish I had a reason to stay around more and post stuff for you guys. I miss the good old days of Daizex and yet we won't get them back. We have to make the best of things I guess. I hope you all will do just that.
Ejercito Zapatista de Liberacion Nacional: Es nuestra palabra sencilla...

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:56 am

Bardock the Mexican wrote:I miss the good old days of Daizex and yet we won't get them back. We have to make the best of things I guess. I hope you all will do just that.
What defines "the good old days of Daizex" for you, and why won't we ever get them back?!

Ghost of Vegeta

Post by Ghost of Vegeta » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:56 am

I lurk simply because most of the time I have nothing useful to say.

That, or I do but I'm wary of breaking some taboo or otherwise making myself look the fool.
[b]Great Vegeta's Ghost![/b]

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:24 am

I don’t quite consider myself a lurker, but I do often visit without posting, mostly out of curiosity about current topics in the DB fandom. When I do have something to say, I usually like to take the time to think it through and really develop the idea before hitting submit. So, I will start constructing a post, but something else invariably comes up before I’m done, so I will put it on hold, without always getting back to it. Because of this I actually have a handful of half-written posts scattered around on my computer… weird, I know.

missyv

Post by missyv » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:11 am

For me i just really enjoy reading other peoples opinions and i'll do my own input whenever i feel like it, like now :P

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 am

darkhawk5 wrote:The reason I don't post very often is that people usually have a similar opinion to mine post first.
Yup, same for me.

....See?!

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 am

Well, I followed the main page of Daizenshuu EX for 6 months before I started to browse the forum and listen to the podcast. And it still took me a few months to register!

I am on this forum very often, even if I don't post. I love to read peoples opinions on the news and DB.

Swift
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swift » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:55 am

Honestly, I tend to lurk on a lot of the forums I visit. Usually, I'll start posting more frequently for a short while, and then disappear but keeping browsing the board before eventually popping up again. I'm not exactly sure why; I guess like previous posters have said, often something similar to what I would post will have already been said before, and I just enjoy reading what others think. I'm fairly quiet in public IRL, too. *shrug*

Out of what I visit, Daizex is definitely the forum I check the most often though. Being a huge Dragonball fan helps, but also the discussions here are usually interesting, fun, and intelligent, whether they're about the latest news or age-old storyline debates. I enjoy the podcast a whole lot, too (it introduced me to podcasting in general, actually, starting from episode 1's release). At times, I feel like I should (and would like to) participate in the community more than I actually do, but my actual posting habits tend to end up being pretty sporadic.

RandomDbzEnthusiast

Post by RandomDbzEnthusiast » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am

jda95 wrote:Well, I followed the main page of Daizenshuu EX for 6 months before I started to browse the forum and listen to the podcast. And it still took me a few months to register!

I am on this forum very often, even if I don't post. I love to read peoples opinions on the news and DB.
i have a similar story and i share the same opinion this is the best place to read on the more recent news of this great serie.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:54 am

I'm certainly no lurker on my own community, but I do "lurk" around plenty of other places. I'd have no authoritative standing to say I know what's going on in the greater community if I didn't actually get out there and see some of the nitty-gritty going on with other forums, but they always tend to make me wish I just stayed here on my own where I can correct spelling... ;_;

For those communities (and not just DragonBall... things like music, gaming, and *gasp* professional/work-related stuff)... I'm just too busy with my own shiz to have the time to contribute on such a massive level to someone else's community. That's why it always astonishes (and flatters) me when we have people posting heavily on here (or even just sending me an e-mail occasionally) from other fandoms. It means a lot to me that, despite having all their own nonsense going on, they find the time and initiative to let me know that they think it's cool, yo.

I'm going to make a wild guess based on what I've read so far in this thread, what I've read on other sites, what I know from personal experience, and what I can make educated guesses on as to why someone might lurk around here and not post:

(1) By the time they go to say something, it's already been said (nearly if not completely) verbatim by someone else

(2) They would like to, but just don't have the time. They enjoy reading it all, none-the-less.

(3) They have no interest in joining an online community in any sort of collaboration/participation way, but find it a great place to keep up on news.

(4) They feel intimidated to post following some excellent discussion points, or even after just reading some general stuff elsewhere here.

(5) They think everyone here is a bunch of stuck-up know-it-alls and come here just to read for the lulz, occasionally going back and posting about it elsewhere (and get caught doing so).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 am

I just enjoy reading peoples posts.

I only post or create a topic when I have either a question I need answered or have something interesting to post.
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:51 am

Like most lurkers here I just don't feel the need to post.

I joined this forum because I had some questions about the series and because all the other Dragonball related forums I've been at weren't all that great.

Funny story, when I wanted to join it said I was already a member.
Turns out I already joined a year before but didn't post anything for some reason and forgot about it all together.

No wait I just noticed I joined on December 15th 2007.
Date of my first post, January 14 2009 :P
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:59 am

I guess I could be considered a lurker at one point. I use to come to this site at random back in the early days like 98-99ish when I was searching the nets for DB info before there really was any. I use to stumble upon this forum from time to time, read a few posts and that was it. I didn't actually join until the R29 dub of movie 3 was being made, which it ultimately didn't get made. I signed up to audition for Goku, as a friend on another forum told me about the audition and said I should go for it. I have been posting fairly consistently ever since.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm an anti-lurker: quite a few of my posts have nothing to do with anything or contribute anything worthwhile.

Kinda like right now.

Are non-lurkers even allowed to post here? :?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:20 pm

I don't know if I can be considered a "lurker" or not... I selectively read topics that I think are relevant to my interests, and I may or may not respond to them based on whether or not I think I can add anything useful. Considering my join date in contrast with my postcount, I don't think I qualify in that category, but I'm also rather frightened when I see people who manage to boost the thing up to 1k plus, even having joined months after me! Scary...

Lurkers are no fun, though! Feel free to speak your mind; the more activity, the better, I say! And join the IRC channel too. :)

EDIT: Also, I just remembered that I made about 20 posts a day when I first joined! I guess it's that initial rush that gets you... =P

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm

I lurked here about a year and a half before I joined. Like many other people on here, I don't feel the need to post on everything. I feel like a lot of other people have things more intelligent to contribute to a topic than I do most of the time.

I also lurk on another site that I joined almost 4 years ago and made only about 30 posts on. That site has really gone downhill in recent years....

On a different note, there's a lot of people that I haven't seen on here in a while.:)
Tweaker wrote:Considering my join date in contrast with my postcount, I don't think I qualify in that category, but I'm also rather frightened when I see people who manage to boost the thing up to 1k plus, even having joined months after me! Scary...
So true....

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Tweaker wrote:Considering my join date in contrast with my postcount, I don't think I qualify in that category, but I'm also rather frightened when I see people who manage to boost the thing up to 1k plus, even having joined months after me! Scary...
I guess I'm one of those :shock:

I've never had +1000 posts on any forum before in my life. Especially not as fast. I've been a member of quite a few and its a rarity for me to make it past 200. I was sure that this site would be the same, but something kept me around. Most of my friends aren't into Dragon Ball as much as I am so I don't have anybody to talk about it IRL. I've also never been a dedicated member of any fandom in the way I am Dragon Ball, and I think Daizex has a lot to do with that.

I only lurked the site for as long as it took my registration to be accepted. I couldn't wait to jump into the conversations that were going on. I had finally found a Dragon Ball forum that didn't consist entirely of children and the intellectually-challenged. I think some of the initial excitement wore off, and I believe my daily post count has dwindled as well, but I still visit the site just as frequently as I did at the beginning.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Tweaker wrote:...join the IRC channel too...
We have one of those where is it? :shock: Can someone PM me with the info?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:47 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Are non-lurkers even allowed to post here?
The thread was started by one of the biggest "non-lurkers" you'll find on the forum, yours truly!
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ