Does MY voice fit/suit Freeza?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Does MY voice fit/suit Freeza?

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlmbw1q7IQQ&fmt=18

Okay, since I plan on doing more DBZ fandubs, and I wanted to try a more natural voice for Freeza, so I tried my real/natural voice. So, my only question is, does it fit?

I dubbed a few things from Episode 96, I left Goku voice less, so you can focus more on Freeza. I might have not timed exactly when he's in pain; but still.

This will help me out a bit.

Yeah, this is the same voice I've used for Vegeta, but I realized I'm not suited to voice Vegeta. So, I won't be using my voice for Vegeta.

If my voice does end up fitting Freeza, I'll will find a Goku and Gohan, and others; so I can do more clips as Freeza. But, only if my voice fits. If it doesn't, than I won't.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:43 am

Hmm, to be honest it felt a bit off. I'm not sure what bugged me... maybe it sounded a bit too young for Freeza. I also didn't really get a "whoamg he's evil" vibe off of it.

All I can say is, I think if you work on it you could make your voice fit Freeza, but at the moment it sounds off.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:32 am

To be honest... I felt it was weak. Not evil enough.

And you didn't do any grunts or something that tells that Freeza is strugling to get free from Goku at 0:55, 1:13-1:17

Although the giggles sounded close to Nakao's
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:45 am

Your delivery wasn't remotely convincing, and there was zero characterisation there, you just sounded like some guy.

I'm not saying these things to be mean, but if you're serious about voice acting, take some classes, do some theatre, or hell just do some improv with your friends, because just talking into a microphone isn't going to get you anywhere in terms of performance.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13 am

It sounded... uh... feminine.

It needs to be deeper, if you ran it through Adobe Audition or Audacity you could make it slightly deeper and it'd fit.

You also sound too, what's the word... American, It should be more classy, imagine Tim Curry or Kelsey Grammar voicing him.

Well, that's what I'd do if I was dubbing Freeza.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:09 pm

I don't really think it fit either.

Except the laugh, the laugh did remind me of the original Freeza.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:46 pm

Big Momma wrote:I don't really think it fit either.

Except the laugh, the laugh did remind me of the original Freeza.
SHINOBI-03 wrote:To be honest... I felt it was weak. Not evil enough.

And you didn't do any grunts or something that tells that Freeza is strugling to get free from Goku at 0:55, 1:13-1:17

Although the giggles sounded close to Nakao's
Well, I got something, I see you what you mean though, god I suck at VA'ing DBZ, I can't get it right, I really gotta practice with it.
The Time Traveller wrote:It sounded... uh... feminine.

It needs to be deeper, if you ran it through Adobe Audition or Audacity you could make it slightly deeper and it'd fit.

You also sound too, what's the word... American, It should be more classy, imagine Tim Curry or Kelsey Grammar voicing him.

Well, that's what I'd do if I was dubbing Freeza.
Well, that's new. I've never heard someone call my voice feminine; but, compared to the names you listed I could see why. If I try again, I'll put those people's styles into consideration.
Captain Awesome wrote:Your delivery wasn't remotely convincing, and there was zero characterisation there, you just sounded like some guy.

I'm not saying these things to be mean, but if you're serious about voice acting, take some classes, do some theatre, or hell just do some improv with your friends, because just talking into a microphone isn't going to get you anywhere in terms of performance.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I am in my school's theater. Hopefully, my dad will be able to help by helping me get VA classes over the summer. I do gotta add something to the voice, because I do just sound like "just some American" guy. I might just be DBZ though, most people don't seem to mind the Death Note fandubs I do, but than again, Death Note's easier to act for in my opinion since it's more-somewhat realistic.

Also, thanks everyone. I got the answer I was looking for. I'm also glad you guys were honest. I'd rather someone tell me the truth than someone faking what they say behind their keyboard.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Well, I got something, I see you what you mean though, god I suck at VA'ing DBZ, I can't get it right, I really gotta practice with it.
I do gotta add something to the voice, because I do just sound like "just some American" guy.
Dude, quit beating yourself up about it, lol. Don't take the suggestions as insults, it's constructive criticism. Not everybody's going to like your voice acting and demeaning yourself isn't going to change that.

If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to work on diversifying your characters. I've watched many, if not all of your fandubs, and I can hear similarities in all of your characters. Take, for example, Chris Sabat, he voices, like, 90% of the characters in the Dragon Ball (Z,GT) dub. But when one first finds that out, it's always really surprising. I mean there are obvious connections like Piccolo and Vegeta, but most people are shocked to hear that he also voices Yamcha and Karin. Try to do two characters that sound nothing alike.

But I'm no expert. Just some American guy too. :P

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
I do gotta add something to the voice, because I do just sound like "just some American" guy.
Dude, quit beating yourself up about it, lol. Don't take the suggestions as insults, it's constructive criticism. Not everybody's going to like your voice acting and demeaning yourself isn't going to change that.

If I had to make a suggestion, it would be to work on diversifying your characters. I've watched many, if not all of your fandubs, and I can hear similarities in all of your characters. Take, for example, Chris Sabat, he voices, like, 90% of the characters in the Dragon Ball (Z,GT) dub. But when one first finds that out, it's always really surprising. I mean there are obvious connections like Piccolo and Vegeta, but most people are shocked to hear that he also voices Yamcha and Karin. Try to do two characters that sound nothing alike.

But I'm no expert. Just some American guy too. :P
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. But, at the same time. I trust Daizex members more than random YouTube members to give an honest opinion about how I did on a Dragon Ball clip.

Well, in a way I have done the 2/3 different sounding characters, in the Death Note fandubs; Light, Ryuk, and Rem. They're all three different voice types or another comparison with Ryuk, Cartman. I can do Cartman's voice (Season 10-ish to current) and him and Ryuk sound nothing alike.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Where is the evil Freeza? This sounds like a random guy.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Innagadadavida wrote: I've watched many, if not all of your fandubs, and I can hear similarities in all of your characters. Take, for example, Chris Sabat, he voices, like, 90% of the characters in the Dragon Ball (Z,GT) dub. But when one first finds that out, it's always really surprising. I mean there are obvious connections like Piccolo and Vegeta, but most people are shocked to hear that he also voices Yamcha and Karin. Try to do two characters that sound nothing alike.
I'm not trying to turn this into a dub bashing thread, but Sabat has a very limited vocal range, his characters are always variations on his speaking voice with added levels of gravel and the occasional bad accent, honestly he sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

If I had to recommend someone, people like Billy West, or Maurice Lamarshe they are extremely talented guys and can produce character voices that don't have any traits in common with their own default voice, which isn't something you can say about Anime VA's, it also helps that they are fantastic actors.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm not trying to turn this into a dub bashing thread, but Sabat has a very limited vocal range, his characters are always variations on his speaking voice with added levels of gravel and the occasional bad accent, honestly he sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
I'm not saying that he has the widest vocal range of all time, far from it. But I am saying that he has characters that sound nothing alike. Yamcha does not sound anything like Vegeta in the dub. Compared to SSJFuranki, you can hear a lot of his normal speaking voice in all of his characters.

I really, truly, honestly believe, with no personal interest in any debate, that Yamcha sounds like a completely different person than Vegeta.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I'm not trying to turn this into a dub bashing thread, but Sabat has a very limited vocal range, his characters are always variations on his speaking voice with added levels of gravel and the occasional bad accent, honestly he sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
I'm not saying that he has the widest vocal range of all time, far from it. But I am saying that he has characters that sound nothing alike. Yamcha does not sound anything like Vegeta in the dub. Compared to SSJ4Furanki, you can hear a lot of his normal speaking voice in all of his characters.

I really, truly, honestly believe, with no personal interest in any debate, that Yamcha sounds like a completely different person than Vegeta.
So, does that mean I should just stop trying? I mean know some voices it's easy to pick up my natural voice in it, but all voices? Damn...

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:So, does that mean I should just stop trying? I mean know some voices it's easy to pick up my natural voice in it, but all voices? Damn...
If you're the type of person who gives up after a little criticism, than yes.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:So, does that mean I should just stop trying? I mean know some voices it's easy to pick up my natural voice in it, but all voices? Damn...
If you're the type of person who gives up after a little criticism, than yes.
I'm not that kinda person. But, wait you said you've watched just about all my fandubs, is the acting bad in the non-DBZ ones?

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:If you're the type of person who gives up after a little criticism, than yes.
I'm not that kinda person. But, wait you said you've watched just about all my fandubs, is the acting bad in the non-DBZ ones?
The Death Note ones sound similar to the characters, the mannerisms are there, especially with L. But like I said, you can hear some of your speaking voice in the characters. Just work on your range. Try different positions, move your throat around.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Well... I'd agree with what's been said so far. It seems like he's just some guy, there's nothing BEHIND the voice. It sounds like it might fit, but as it stands there's nothing to it. I'm trying to be articulate without being a jackass, which isn't one of my strengths; so forgive me if I'm not too specific. Like the laugh though.

So, yeah... add some character to the voice. Your voice in of itself sounds right, but it sounds like just you talking - not some arrogant dude like Freeza.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:If you're the type of person who gives up after a little criticism, than yes.
The Death Note ones sound similar to the characters, the mannerisms are there, especially with L. But like I said, you can hear some of your speaking voice in the characters. Just work on your range. Try different positions, move your throat around.
Well, at least that's good. This might sound stupid but, how would I move my throat around? I can do different positions, for the most part I'm sitting down in a chair. So, I see what you mean by "try different positions".

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:38 pm

I dunno, man, I mean just use your throat differentlyer. Like a Kermit the Frog type voice to a deep raspy voice. And immitate every voice you hear when you get the chance. I'm not a professional, so you'd be better off asking somebody else. I'm just throwing that out there from my own experience, which is minimal.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:49 pm

It's probably better than what I could do for Freeza, so there's something. I don't think it's too bad, although it doesn't really scream Freeza to me. It kind of sounds like Yajirobe at times.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.