Pretty cool reference

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:37 am

OK, not a reference, but I always made this connection as a kid:

Maybe I was just a huge nerd/fanboy, but whenever I saw an image of a flame, I always thought of Goku's hair when he went SSJ. I'm sure many fans made this connection, but I just wanted to post that up.
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

More fun from Gintama:
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Gintama is freakin' hilarious. I just recently started watching. Are the Dragon Ball references in the manga as well?

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Both Gintama and Lucky Star are fanboy's dreams when it comes to references like this. 8)

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 am

Gintama pockes fun of Yamcha a lot

Here's a quote I wrote it in another thread:

Gintoki: "Hurry up and go! Looks like you're also like Yamucha who stands at the sidelines while others are fighting!"
Kondo: "You're being very rude! It'd be an impossible task even if I were Tenshinhan!"
Gintoki: "Ten-san and Yamu-chan aren't THAT different anyway!"

Also, in one of the episodes where Hijikata became an Otaku, Gintoki wants him to fight the other renegade Shinsengumi members, and he said:

"It'll be like sending Yamcha alone to Namek!!"
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:03 am

Yet another Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei episode references DBZ. I wonder if I'll come across anymore while watching the series. This is episode 5, about 2:50 in, talking about school "Athletics Festivals" and why there shouldn't be "cultured" students in them.

I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Maybe I was just a huge nerd/fanboy, but whenever I saw an image of a flame, I always thought of Goku's hair when he went SSJ. I'm sure many fans made this connection, but I just wanted to post that up.
So did I. As a child, I just thought I was watching too much Dragonball. So whenever I'd see anything, I'd make a connection to Dragonball and whenever I'd see an advertisement or a movie poster, I'd always imagined Goku shooting a Kamehameha through it. :lol: O, the dreams of a child.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 am

Just went to watch that Zoku Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei clip. They even got a pseudo-Masako-Nozawa-type voice shouting there in the background during the silhouette battle. :lol:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Watch episode 119 of Gintama for a really good Dragon Ball parody.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

jda95 wrote:Both Gintama and Lucky Star are fanboy's dreams when it comes to references like this. 8)
Too bad many of the fans(stateside) dismiss Dragonball, hence the need for the reference in that fansub.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

It's an official sub, actually. You can legally stream Gintama at Crunchyroll.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 am

Pain wrote:
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:Maybe I was just a huge nerd/fanboy, but whenever I saw an image of a flame, I always thought of Goku's hair when he went SSJ. I'm sure many fans made this connection, but I just wanted to post that up.
So did I. As a child, I just thought I was watching too much Dragonball. So whenever I'd see anything, I'd make a connection to Dragonball and whenever I'd see an advertisement or a movie poster, I'd always imagined Goku shooting a Kamehameha through it. :lol: O, the dreams of a child.
Story of my life... Good times... Are you 14 or 15? Be nice to have someone here my age...

Pain

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:
Pain wrote:
Story of my life... Good times... Are you 14 or 15? Be nice to have someone here my age...
Yep, I'm 14. Be 15 on Halloween. :D
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:24 am

I've just been watching School Rumble season 1, and this scene came up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWV745LfYiI

Seems to be mostly a Fist of the North Star or Violence Jack spoof, but Dragon Ball reference is at 3:30.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:23 am

Love Hina Episode 16 has a reference to Journey to the West, although the main character was called Son Goku instead of Sun Wokong
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:27 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Love Hina Episode 16 has a reference to Journey to the West, although the main character was called Son Goku instead of Sun Wokong
That's just the Japanese way of pronouncing the kanji in his name.

Thanos

Re: Pretty cool reference

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:47 am

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote:It's 4:00 AM, I'm freakin' bored as shit.[/b

I lol'd.

BoBoBo'BoBoBoBo had some intense Dragon Ball references.

DBZGokuSaiyan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZGokuSaiyan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:59 pm

Ah, Dragon Ball references. Uberly awesome. I remember an episode of an old Cartoon Network series called "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy"... It was called "Chicken Ball Z" and it was basically pure awesomeness. The full episode's available to those who haven't seen it/want to see it again for old time's sake. Maybe not the best quality, but you know YouTube. :P Brings back awesome memories. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NRKPvHAx-Y

Also, I passed by a fresh vegetables section in a Caputo's market near my house, and I saw this. :lol: Nappa's been pwn'd one too many times. He's now owned by the USA. Image

I don't think this is really a reference, but I found a crapload (the rest are hidden behind) of brand new uncut DBZ FUNi singles $4 a pop at a Kmart near my area. They had a few Frieza Saga, Imperfect Cell Saga, Perfect Cell Saga, Fusion Saga DVDs... as well as The History of Trunks special on DVD. Also brought back awesome memories. :D I was gonna buy 'em all, but I had already bought 5 DBZ box sets by then, as well as inFamous for PS3. Those damn things better be there the next time I pass by. :?

Oh, and a few guys were breakdancing to that Perfect Cell Techno Remix during some event at my high school. I totally shouted out "That's a Dragon Ball Z 'song'!!!" in public, and everyone was staring at me like I was a geek. :?
Get Sponsored. Give Back.

SocialVibe

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 am

Wild ARCEUS used Genocide Attack!

It wasn't very effective.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 am

Heh, whenever I got a NASCAR game with a create a driver when I was little, I always had to be sponsored by Napa Auto Parts. Let's just say it wasn't because I liked the store.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger