Kai Episode 14 (05 July 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 14 (05 July 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:07 am

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 14, aired 05 July 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIREDQ
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:18 am

The completely new animation in the "Dragon Battlers" commercial preceding this episode makes me want more completely new animation even more. :shock:

Anyway, onto the episode itself.

The only things that put me off on this episode were:
-The music, which I didn't think was intense enough at times. Though this may have been because I watched dbz ep #30 earlier in the week and the music swap threw me?
-New!Yajirobe. Yes, I know its still the same seiyuu, but I just don't like the new voice she's using for him. TT_TT
-There's one re-drawn shot of Vegeta where a few long chunks near his forehead jump up and down as he's talking as if some of the frames weren't matched up properly.

I did like the shot of Earth beneath Kuririn and Gohan as they were flying to the rescue, and some of the new animation during the ki struggle; I think the new flying rocks looked really cool.

Also, after seeing that "gumdrops and ice cream" shot of Goku in its source material where he's actually got Yajirobe standing next to him and is flipped in the other direction, I'm even more impressed with TFS's editing in their episode 10. Amazing editing job, TFS.

Back to Kai (before I get off-topic ^^;; ). Looks like there's quite a bit of redrawn/recolored stuff in the previews.

I did like the end of the "flashback" where it shows Oozaru rotating and it fades into Goku himself. Was that in the original? I don't recall.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 am

How was the filler?or was there any?

Vino
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vino » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:26 am

Man I loved the new ki blast struggle, but Vegeta's voice really annoyed me this episode, he almost wanted me to go mute because his voice was so annoying, what the hell happened to his awesome angry voice.

Another thing that bothered me was the music, it didn't live up to Z episode 30, the music was perfect there, oh well....maybe I'll swap the audio of Z 30 with Kai's and make some editing to match it.

Overall, happy with the Ki blast, not too happy with the music and voice work.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:42 am

Rod wrote:How was the filler?or was there any?
A tiny bit.
After Goku punches Vegeta in the stomach, there's a filler scene where the two trade some more punches before Vegeta goes into his monolouge about how he can't be losing to Goku.
Right after Vegeta transforms, there's a couple scenes of him attacking Goku before launching into the exposition where Goku realizes how his grandpa died.

There's also a couple short scenes with Gohan and Kuririn flying towards the battlefield added, while the canon scene with the two was extended and has some filler dialogue, including the originally worried Kuririn suddenly saying it's all going to turn out okay for no apparant reason, before going back to being worried.

There was also a short canon scene of Yajirobe looking at the transformed Vegeta that got cut for some reason.

The episode covered 49 pages of the manga - the 10 last pages of chapter 230, all of chapter 231 and 232, and the first 11 pages of chapter 233.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah, there is a distinct difference in Ryo Horikawa's performance here. Honestly, I think the performance itself is ok, it's just not what we're used to. Although it does lack some of the impact of his original voice. It's probably due to his age now.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:40 pm

Hm, I on the other hand was a bit disappointed by the new Kamehameha vs. Gyallic Ho. That scene was actually one of my favorites in the original, with its seizure-inducing glory. The new version seemed somewhat bland by comparison.

I'll post more once I've watched the full episode. I do agree however with the comments on Horikawa's performance also.

-Corey

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Mrs. Nozawa put on an awkward performance this episode.

I can understand the occasional "Rkkrrrkrrrrkk," but she sounded like she was grilling a cat when Goku went Kaioken x3. Was she like that in the original?
Last edited by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:17 pm

Yeah Vegeta was little odd in comparing it to the original DBZ, but he's much older now. He's still my favourite voice in DB universe right with Ryusei Nakao's Freeza (Which is excellent). I can't wait for Freeza in Kai..... anyway, it looks like the fight with Vegeta is over by two more episodes. I'm really curious about episodes on Namek
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Apart from most of the ''negative'' aspect already mentioned in this thread I definitely shat bricks this episode.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:40 pm

The episode started differently, didn't it?

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:36 pm

MCDaveG wrote:He's still my favourite voice in DB universe right with Ryusei Nakao's Freeza (Which is excellent). I can't wait for Freeza in Kai.....
If any seiyuu can live up to or surpass their previous performance, I have faith it will be Ryūsei Nakao. Watching Bleach, his performance on there as Mayuri Kurotsuchi is great and definitely has similarities to Freeza. Too bad they're going back into filler-mode this week :(

-Corey

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 am

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:30 am

Wow, three Dragonball video game commercials and two Gohan Dessu Yo were immediately aired in the first commercial break. I guess they were quick to capitalize on the assured high number of viewers for this episode.

Anyway, did anyone else completely forget that yesterday was anything more than Fireworks Day? I checked the forum right before heading to bed, saw the new Episode 014 thread and thought "hmm, Mike's making it early". :?: I must be losing it...

And whoa! New intro thing-a-majigger! The tune was the same, but the animation was totally different. Here are some screens:

The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).

You can compare the colors of the sky to these Dragon Box screenshots taken by DBW:

Image Image

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:04 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).

You can compare the colors of the sky to these Dragon Box screenshots taken by DBW:
I thought kei17 had concluded, beyond a doubt, that those colors were all wrong though, and that the DragonBox masters had deteriorated. *cough*

I know, I'm a bastard. Still, the point remains...

-Corey

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:06 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).

I thought kei17 had concluded, beyond a doubt, that those colors were all wrong though, and that the DragonBox masters had deteriorated. *cough*

-Corey
What the heck is that suppose to mean?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey

The Dragon Box masters is one of the best masters in the universe XD

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:19 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey

The Dragon Box masters is one of the best masters in the universe XD
There was a debate about the accuracy of the colors in the Dragon Boxes, which those screens where used in. It was basically just a joke about whether or not we can "trust" those colors... well that's how I took it. :P

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 am

I absolutely love the new Kaioken color. It is much more intense than the old pink, red color. :P

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote: And whoa! New intro thing-a-majigger! The tune was the same, but the animation was totally different. Here are some screens:

snip

The classic color shifting sky of the Saiya-jin Arc (I actually REALLY like this touch).
Meh, I liked the previous one better, something about this one seems too simplistic, but I do like the colors...they're purty