Freeza vs Cell: Who was the better villain?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jermyn

Freeza vs Cell: Who was the better villain?

Post by Jermyn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:55 am

Of all the villains in Dragonball, two tower above the rest-Freeza and Cell. Which of the two do you consider to be overall the better villain?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Freeza vs Cell: Who was the better villain?

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:01 am

Well first off, personally I disagree with this...
Jermyn wrote:Of all the villains in Dragonball, two tower above the rest-Freeza and Cell.
Because Cell is my one of my least favourite villains, if not actually my least favourite villain.

With that said, obviously Freeza's better. Cell was just Freeza with a lot less personality.

Rod
Regular

Re: Freeza vs Cell: Who was the better villain?

Post by Rod » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:05 am

Jermyn wrote:Of all the villains in Dragonball, two tower above the rest-Freeza and Cell.
I also disagree with this. I always considered Majin Buu much better than them.

However, between those two, I prefer cell over Freezer, I never liked him for some reason

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:09 am

Cell because the Freeza Saga is garbage. Freeza's English VA is also unimpressive compared to Dameon Clarke's performance as Cell. Ryusei Nakao > Norio Wakamoto though.
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:09 am

They're pretty much the same person. Freeza will make you suffer for the joy of watching you suffer. Cell will make you suffer because he's competitive and wants to fight. The difference being Cell could care less how you feel as long he's enjoying himself and Freeza wants to know you're hurting.

At the end of the day, they're both the "I'm evil just because" archetype. But if you're gonna make me choose, Cell because I can empathize with doing dickish things in order to gain a specific want or need as opposed to being a dick for the sake of being a dick, a la Freeza.
KKZ wrote:Ryusei Nakao > Norio Wakamoto though.
... Really?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:19 am

B wrote:At the end of the day, they're both the "I'm evil just because" archetype. But if you're gonna make me choose, Cell because I can empathize with doing dickish things in order to gain a specific want or need as opposed to being a dick for the sake of being a dick, a la Freeza.
It's that very fact that made Cell less enjoyable as a villain to me. His whole "being perfect" thing just seemed a pretty thin, shallow excuse for villainy, and it left him with little personality to fall back on. When Cell was losing it was all "If only I was in my perfect form" or "This can't be, I'm supposed to be perfect".

When Freeza was losing his thoughts were "I can't be losing, I'm Freeza", which just appealed to me more. Seemed a much richer character, so used to dominance that it's become part of how he sees himself, to the point that he can't contemplate losing and still being Freeza. As opposed to Cell, who thinks he's perfect just because he was told by a computer that he worked that way.

Although I will say that I prefer Cell's introduction to Freeza's.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:39 am

I liked Frieza because he had the balls to raise Gokurotto's power over 9000!!! by killing Krillin.

Also her dub voice was superior to his Japanese counterpart. So evil and egotistical... my word![/color]

Administrator edit: Please remember the rules you agreed to when signing up to these forums.

Thank you.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 am

KKZ wrote:Ryusei Nakao > Norio Wakamoto though.
Your math equation here is incorrect. Nothing is greater than Norio Wakamoto.

See me after class, Mister.

...Oh, on topic. To be honest, I think there is a difference between Freeza and Cell. Freeza was brute force, mostly. Cell was cunning. Especially before he reached his Perfect form, where he probably became too cocky for his own good. I liked cunning Cell, plus he gets extra points for being voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

I also like Freeza though, so it's a tough call. Freeza made a good villain, because he was an unreformable asshole, and an incredibly powerful one at the time.

I guess despite their actions, neither ever made me hate them, like, "oh this guy needs to get his ass kicked already." Maybe I've been watching too much One Piece, where all the villains are like that.

tl;dr I'd probably say that Freeza is my personal favorite, despite the fact that for me, Cell has more going for him. Go figure.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 am

Freeza without a doubt.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 am

This is a tough question. There both dicks.
Aka gtadbzman.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 am

Cell got the power and abilities, but Freeza got the ego and personality

Freeza was able to make Bojack his underling. He is the better leader of Hell.

Cell dosn't really care. He doesn't have any interest to rule anything. He just want to fight and destroy what he sees and dislike.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Kuhan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kuhan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:36 am

Freeza, by far. I was always more creeped out by Freeza. Cell was evil, but Freeza was just EVIL. Plus, Ryusei Nakao played Yakko in the Japanese dub of Animaniacs!

Admittedly, Damian Clark is much better than Linda Young, but that's because FUNi decided to cast a WOMAN as FREEZA!
[quote="Masako-kun / MasakoX as Goku"]This is worse than that time I was in high school! And all the guys called me Geeko, and I was Piccolo's slave, and I couldn't get Chi-Chi to like me... Oh wow, I hit that rock harder than I thought.[/quote]
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/kuhan

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 am

Freeza, definitely. Cell just seems to lack something which makes Freeza a better villain, but I don't know what it is. Maybe it's because Cell is simply programmed to be pure evil, but Freeza became it naturally.

And Ryusei Nakao is incredible. And he plays Him in Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z! Can it get better than that?

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:49 am

I would have to go with cell

Smooth Criminal
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smooth Criminal » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 am

Arguing something like this is silly, foolish, and pointless.

You specify your question with an "overall better villian" moniker. When we consider such an argument, how are we to interpret what you mean by posing it to us as "overall"? Are we doing this in terms of power and skill? Cell is of course the winner here by default. There is no need to try and argue this, as it is undeniable fact.

Or, are we to interpret this question to mean "who was more successful at being a bad guy?" Well, in that case, the answer is also fairly obvious: Cell struck fear into the hearts of earthlings for what, 12 days or so before getting his shit wrecked? Freeza had been terrorizing GALAXIES for the entirety of his life, murdering countless innocents across a variety of species simply because he could. An entire lifetime of murder on numerous planets versus 12 days of killing on one planet? The answer is obviously Freeza.

Since you didn't specify what you actually meant, there is no way to definitively answer this question. Perhaps you could narrow things down a little bit more beyond "overall," so that we could settle this in a matter of seconds and then move on to something that would (hopefully) require more than an iota of thought process.

CrayZ

Post by CrayZ » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:18 am

Smooth Criminal wrote:Arguing something like this is silly, foolish, and pointless.

You specify your question with an "overall better villian" moniker. When we consider such an argument, how are we to interpret what you mean by posing it to us as "overall"? Are we doing this in terms of power and skill? Cell is of course the winner here by default. There is no need to try and argue this, as it is undeniable fact.

Or, are we to interpret this question to mean "who was more successful at being a bad guy?" Well, in that case, the answer is also fairly obvious: Cell struck fear into the hearts of earthlings for what, 12 days or so before getting his shit wrecked? Freeza had been terrorizing GALAXIES for the entirety of his life, murdering countless innocents across a variety of species simply because he could. An entire lifetime of murder on numerous planets versus 12 days of killing on one planet? The answer is obviously Freeza.

Since you didn't specify what you actually meant, there is no way to definitively answer this question. Perhaps you could narrow things down a little bit more beyond "overall," so that we could settle this in a matter of seconds and then move on to something that would (hopefully) require more than an iota of thought process.
Wow was all this really necessary? "Arguing something like this is silly, foolish, and pointless." yet your doing just that...hmmm...anyways I dont think it's silly, foolish, or pointless, he's clearly asking who we (you) think is the better villain so how hard a question is that? you seem to have took time and answered it so I'm guessing you do understand this thread...

Anyways, I think Freeza was the definition of a badass,creepy, and all around cunning villain, which I look for over all out brute strength in villains.
Subbie por vida!

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:28 am

And for the record... Freeza was in the manga for a span of 8 volumes, while Cell was in 6.

Why am I saying this? I'm not sure my self...!!
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Booney
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booney » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:07 am

My vote goes to Freeza.
In my eyes he actualy was a villain.
To me, Cell was more a tool for Gero and not an actual badguy on his own.
Not that Cell wasn't a badguy, it's just that he was programmed that way.
[url=http://superbooney.deviantart.com/]My DeviantART[/url]

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:18 am

I believe Freeza is the greatest villain of the series. We see so many sides to him, I love the "polite" Freeza, how he peels back the layers of his opponents psyche (for example, the Namek's village leader), which is totally conflicted with the ruthless screaming Freeza telling our heroes that he'll "Kill them inch by inch".
We also see his weakness revealed, his true fear, and the reason he destroyed the Saiyans. He has his henchmen too, because sometimes he's just too good to do the dirt work. ;)
Let's not forget the lowest side of Freeza. Begging for his life infront of the Super Saiyan who's friends he killed without a second thought.

He's probably the deepest character in Dragonball (in my opinion), alongside Trunks, Vegeta and Piccolo. I love him to bits. :)

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:56 am

Freeza without a doubt. Cell is pretty cool too but it (Cell is a "it") doesn't have purpose.