Kai Episode 17 (02 August 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 17 (02 August 2009)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:30 pm

General Discussion for DragonBall Kai episode 17, aired 02 August 2009

(title coming)
(title coming)
(title coming)

PLEASE SAVE DISCUSSION FOR AFTER THE EPISODE HAS AIRED
Last edited by VegettoEX on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:15 am

New opening?
New eyecatch?
New ending?

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:25 am

How much filler? How were the redrawn scenes?

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:48 am

Just watched.

New title card.
Same eyecatch.
Insert song?!

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:52 am

Asking Questions And Watching Later? I Agree With That Method. :lol:
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:54 am

Pain wrote:Asking Questions And Watching Later? I Agree With That Method. :lol:
It's already on Youtub. :P

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:12 am

I've only seen two-thirds of the way in, but no new opening or eyecatchers. :(
Probably next episode.
(I'll return to edit this post once I see the remaining one-third. )

So far, I really like how they used "Over the Star" as an insert song in this episode. The fact that I didn't even remember they animated everyone going to pick up and store the rest of the group's corpses made the punch all the harder.

Only thing I haven't liked in this episode is the over-use of Kai's "someone is dying" song. Its so overused to me it feels redundant. I mean, they tried to mix it up by not diving into the vocals right away (and it partly worked until they did) but still...vary it up a bit with the death song? Please? @_@ Takes away too much of the impact.

I remember these chapters in the manga being some of the most well-drawn of the entire arc; like you could tell the author was not only gearing up for something, but he was excited to get there. For that reason I do prefer the chapters to their animated counterpart for this episode, but its still a good episode.

EDIT: Nothing to really add after having seen the end other than the idea of Piccolo with a mustache amuses me. (One of the namekians in Yajirobe's thought bubble had one; but I just can't see Piccolo growing facial hair).
Last edited by Chuquita on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:27 am

Here's the new title card layout:

I like it, but I'm sad it's probably all we're going to be seeing over the next couple of months...

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Possibly. Judging by the Eye-catchers, they regularly change depending on where we are in the arc. I can imagine that the Title card will change when they either arrive on Namek, or things get really busy on the planet. Because at the moment, it's all very space-focused, with the namekian ship to fly them, with Vegeta aboard Freeza's ship, etc.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't remember Yajirobi's wrist bands being green. Was this an error or was it like this in DBZ?

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I don't remember Yajirobi's wrist bands being green. Was this an error or was it like this in DBZ?
Well, I have a cel here which features Yajirobe during the Jinzoningen arc (red scarf) and he also has green wristbands there... Although other cels have him wearing black ones. So it wasn't just this occasion.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Chuquita wrote:So far, I really like how they used "Over the Star" as an insert song in this episode. The fact that I didn't even remember they animated everyone going to pick up and store the rest of the group's corpses made the punch all the harder.
Was it the exact same version of "Over the Star" as we got in the "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!"? The Kai OST has a track named "Over The Star ~Piano Ver.~", so I'm guessing there are three whole versions of it out there.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:13 pm

I feel this episode is the true end to the Saiyan arc, and possibly "season" (though there's supposed to be a break for a while between two seasons).

I was wondering if the Saiyan season would end like in the Anime Comics, which I thought was very abrupt for a Season finale (it ends with Vegeta flying up and just the narrator wondering what Kaio meant by "the roots of evil").

Here, I find it perfect for an arc finale, with the conclusion on the sad result of that season (first insert song for that, which justifies all the more my feeling of a season finale) and the announcement of the next season's mission. The episode's last seconds really sound like the end of a season and the announcement of the next one, but we'll see.

Guess if it's the new season, it's a new opening ("Vegeta vs Goku" is no more and Namek and Freezer's henchmen should be shown completely). Some of you guys think that the opening could last for the whole Namek adventure, but I feel that it doesn't show Zabon and Dodoria enough, and if Freezer was shown, it's because he was shown in the very first episode anyway, so his threat is already overshadowed. I would say it's the word - "overshadow": the Freezer and henchmen part of the current opening makes me feel more like the announcement of a shadowy, future threat thing than an actual "presence" in the opening.

But I might be wrong, it's just my guess, we'll see if there's indeed a new opening soon, since one could also argue that Vegeta is still the main threat to the characters right now, so there's no reason to "spoil" the audience.
I don't have the same opinion about the ending: Goku's Super Saiyan form seen only from the back could also be some sort of announcement of "we'll reveal that later", but the fact that Bulma and Gohan have their Namekian look would hint that it's indeed meant to cover the whole Namek period too if you combine the Super Saiyan shot with it.

Aikachi

Post by Aikachi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:24 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Chuquita wrote:So far, I really like how they used "Over the Star" as an insert song in this episode. The fact that I didn't even remember they animated everyone going to pick up and store the rest of the group's corpses made the punch all the harder.
Was it the exact same version of "Over the Star" as we got in the "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!"? The Kai OST has a track named "Over The Star ~Piano Ver.~", so I'm guessing there are three whole versions of it out there.
Same version as on the single, yes. I really liked the way they used it too, I was wondering when we'd get to hear it in an episode.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Aikachi wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
Same version as on the single, yes. I really liked the way they used it too, I was wondering when we'd get to hear it in an episode.
Interesting, I wonder what the whole "piano ver." thing is all about? Anyway, here is a rip of Kai's first insert song:

(link removed by administrator; official CD release material WILL NOT be shared on this site)

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Was Bulma's Seiyuu always this... Bland?

I remember people commenting in the first episode of Kai that her voice was emotionless despite her shouting about Yamcha. But here, it's just so dull. She's meant to be sobbing over the loss of her friends and yet sounds like she couldn't care less. Even if the scene was meant to be more comedy than emotion, it just sounded like she wasn't really trying.

Really quite bad acting. And quite a shame, given Masako Nozawa's statement about how Seiyuu nowadays don't try to act as much as the ones did in her time is something I like to hold in high regard.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:39 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Aikachi wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote: Was it the exact same version of "Over the Star" as we got in the "Yeah! Break! Care! Break!"? The Kai OST has a track named "Over The Star ~Piano Ver.~", so I'm guessing there are three whole versions of it out there.
Interesting, I wonder what the whole "piano ver." thing is all about? Anyway, here is a rip of Kai's first insert song:

(link removed by administrator; official CD release material WILL NOT be shared on this site)
Oh, my bad. Very sorry about that, I sorta assumed that since it was an unclean rip with voices intact that everything it would be fine. Didn't totally think it through. My sincerest apologies.
----------------------------------
Anyway, here's an extra the screenshot from next episode from Fuji TV's site:

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:11 am

Aikachi wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
I liked it too. It has somehow a nostalgia-factor in it don't you think?

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:33 pm

The insert song sounded great. I seriously don't even remember that scene from Z :shock:

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:16 pm

The insert song was what made this episode good for me. I can't wait till Freeza.
Aka gtadbzman.