A General Trunks Topic

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nikkolas
Regular

A General Trunks Topic

Post by Nikkolas » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1xyS-xbyI

So this is a topic about Trunks in all his incarnations in the Dragonball Verse. I prefer Future Trunks hence I posted a pic of him but that's part of what this topic is about.

1. Which version of Trunks is your favorite? And why?
2. Do you like his voice in both American and Japanese?
3. For Future Trunks, do you prefer his short or long hair?
4. Is there anything about Trunks you don't like?

Those are the intial topics but you all are free to ask your own if you wish.

I'll start by answering them myself.

1. Future Trunks. I think he is the most badass as he is the savior of his world while main timeline Trunks is just..another strong warrior.
2. Yes. I think his dub voice was great.
3. Short hair. I have no idea why but the long hair didn't fit for me.
4. I disliked how he let Vegeta get pummeled all under the assumption he could defeat Cell once his father was beaten near-to-death.

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: A General Trunks Topic

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:29 am

1. I prefer Future Trunks as well. His character is better developed by despair and the death of Gohan than it is by sunshine and rainbows. I'm on record saying I think the kid version of Trunks is a loser and I'll stand by that forever. I don't think Dragonball really needed Goten, kid Trunks and Gotenks. They kind of just replaced Kuririn in the comic relief department, and Yamucha & Tenshinhan as the lower tier warriors. So yeah, Future Trunks by a mile.
2. I like Takeshi Kusao as Trunks's voice. I used to actively look for him in other shows I was watching and never cared for him much other than as Trunks. He really made the character come to life for me. Future Trunks's dub voice is okay in my opinion. It wasn't at first, but it has aged well.
3. I'm split on this one. In his normal form I think he looks like more of a bad ass with long hair and in the Saiyan battle armor, but his Super Saiyan hair looks cooler when he has short hair in the CC jacket.
4. He's too headstrong for his own good. That's about it.

FistOfTheSun
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FistOfTheSun » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:34 am

To be honest, I'm not much of a Trunks fan.

Firstly, aside from his introduction to the series, he does nothing of any real consequence for the entire Android / Cell arc.
Secondly Chibi Trunks just straight out annoys me with his spoilt attitude.
Finally as a personal rule, I'm not much of a fan of any character who pushed the DB originals further onto the sidelines. I hated how Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Kuriran, Yamucha and Choaz more or less just got in the way by the end of Z, and the Trunks character was a major contributer to this.
Harass me here - http://www.facebook.com/jake.reed2

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:59 am

1. Future Trunks. Chibi Trunks seems the brattier between he and Goten, and once he's 'grown up' he's not all that interesting... I kinda think though that I like Future Trunks more now than I did a year ago because of some ideas that came up while I was taking notes on an idea for a DB/Z game... *doesn't want to say much else presently*.
2. Future Trunks? Yes. Chibi Trunks' Japanese voice definitely took/takes getting used too... when I first heard him in Ultimate Battle22 the description "drug-dealer" / "crackhead" came to mind. :oops: . (To be fair, I first heard Chibi Trunks' japanese voice in Super Butoden3 and didn't think of any such comparisons. :P ).
3. I... ur... Huh. Somehow didn't... really... notice. I guess because I didn't really look at Trunks much after he came out of the RoSaT (even though the only base Trunks action figure I have is said version... Heh. *compares to one-inch figure with the Capsule Corp jacket and short hair*. ... *still lost* ).
4. Probably, but I don't want to try and seek out negatives... (Um, Eric Veil's "WARG!"s in the first Budokai for PS2? :P ).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am

FistOfTheSun wrote:To be honest, I'm not much of a Trunks fan.

Firstly, aside from his introduction to the series, he does nothing of any real consequence for the entire Android / Cell arc.
Does anyone besides Son or Gohan do anything of consequence in your opinion? Every fight in that arc ends prematurely or in favor of the current villain, save of course for the final battle.

Finally as a personal rule, I'm not much of a fan of any character who pushed the DB originals further onto the sidelines. I hated how Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Kuriran, Yamucha and Choaz more or less just got in the way by the end of Z, and the Trunks character was a major contributer to this.
It's a little ridiculous to pin that on Trunks. It was clear the humans were on their way out from when the Saiyans arrived. What really pushed the original DB Team characters out of the picture was the story's structure. Until Namek, Toriyama had a trend of introducing a villain character that the audience could relate to and then having them join the Son team. This ended with adding Piccolo and Vegeta to the team, two enemies even the original DB team couldn't stand up against. The addition of those two to the team was what really pushed the others out.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:49 am

1) I am partial to Kid Trunks, myself. He's a spoiled, cocky little brat, but he somehow makes it endearing. And then there's Gotenks.
2) Takeshi Kusao gave one the best performances among the Japanese cast, he's great. Bailey is fine. Vale sucked throughout Z, but he's much better in GT and the games. I agree with Obi completely that he grew into the role.
3) Short. Never been much of a fan of long hair anyway.
4) Not really. He's a perfectly acceptable character who more than enough garners your sympathy time and time again.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am

I like kid Trunks. He's like a mini Vegeta in that he's cocky and was born into a life where he had everything. It also helps that his "rival" is someone who looks just like Goku. Either way, I always have fun seeing those two do stuff ('cept for that Bio-Broly movie, but Trunks and Goten weren't the problem there).
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:33 am

I wonder if Future Trunks would be annoyed with Kid Trunks, their attitudes seem to clash. I can imagine he'd be pretty peed that Kid Trunks achieved Super Saiyan in a fraction of the time Future Trunks did and Kid Trunks had no real motivation to do so whereas Future Trunks had to suffer a loss.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:34 am

Sin wrote:I wonder if Future Trunks would be annoyed with Kid Trunks, their attitudes seem to clash. I can imagine he'd be pretty peed that Kid Trunks achieved Super Saiyan in a fraction of the time Future Trunks did and Kid Trunks had no real motivation to do so whereas Future Trunks had to suffer a loss.
If you take the manga into account, Trunks became a Super Saiyan before Gohan died. So who knows what the motivation was there!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am

1) I like both, but Future Trunks is better to me. He's more focused, straight to the point in battles, and has gone through many odds that Kid Trunks wouldn't be able to handle.

2) I like his original voice better. Don't get me wrong, though. His english voice is pretty good as well. I think Eric Vale did a good job there. I just think the original sounds more serious and badass; especially when he's confronting Freeza. I liked both versions of that part, actually.

3) I think he's more cooler with long-hair. I probably believe this because he's looks more badass as a Super Saiyan with long-hair than he does with the shorter one.

4) His damn calculations, constant whining of doomsday, and how he always believes he knows what's going to take place--even when the specific time has already shown that it was vastly different from the time he was from. That's what always annoyed me about him. He could just be a coward sometimes.

Aside from that--Future Trunks is a nice character.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:47 am

Nikkolas wrote:1. Which version of Trunks is your favorite? And why?
1. I'd say Future Trunks, when he's being badass and not a wuss. He was the first Super Demi-Saiyan we ever met, and only the second Super Saiyan period, before everybody was doing it.

2. I prefer his Japanese voice, but don't mind his English one at all. Eric Vale's not one of FUNi's best, but he's certainly nowhere near being their worst, either.

3. His long-hair, cut-off vest look from Movie 9 is his best, I think.

4. Whatever complaints Vegeta has about him, but nowhere near as harsh.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 am

1.My favorite version of the character will always be Future Trunks. Kid Trunks just rubs me the wrong way, and seeing him be in the Buu saga completely took away some of the enjoyment I otherwise would've had when watching that arc.

2. I'm not really familiar with the Japanese voice cast as most others here are, but what I will say is that I didn't mind his Japanese va, and I thought Vale was real good. If there's anything he said that seemed obsurd, it was due in part to Funimation's script changes.

3. Short hair all the way.

4. There's nothing that I dislike about the character, other than what I already said about his kid counterpart.

Nikkolas
Regular

Post by Nikkolas » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Also I gotta say Faulconer's Trunks' theme was pretty epic IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLvWZe-nkQ

And how about a new question for all the Trunks' fans.
5. What is your favorite Trunks (any version) moment

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Got to admit, I like the discussion. I think there should be a few character debates from time to time. :)

I personally like kid Trunks, mirai Trunks is cool and all, but they are so different due to circumstance. Meeting mirai Trunks he was so cautcious and always tried to do what he thought morally was the right decision because of his upbringing.

Later in the series, after the whole Cell saga, it was nice getting introduced to a little Trunks, who was so sure of himself and his own ability, it was good to see a Trunks who was able to grow up and be how he wanted to be. I also loved his attitude towards Bulma & Vegeta.
- Scott

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm

1. Which version of Trunks is your favorite? And why?

Hard to say, but I gotta say Kid Present Trunks. He's got balls and his antics with Goten were always fun.

I like both actors. Kusao has incredible range to also voice the kid version.

Allister Abel, who voices Trunks in the Ocean Group dub, is terrible though. Thankfully, Matthew Erickson in the Blue Water GT dub is awesome.

Love the longer hair, espicially as a Super Saiyan. Absolutely wild.

He gets pretty annoying when complaining about the Artificial Humans, but hey...what're you gonna do?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Trunks is okay. I don't think much about him, he's not my favorite by a long shot. But I HATED Trunks in Movie 9. That fight with Tenshinhan. He should have stayed in his base form. He would have won anyway but he went super. That's kind of like adding insult to injury. Like Ten wasn't worth his time or something. :wink:

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Trunks is okay. I don't think much about him, he's not my favorite by a long shot. But I HATED Trunks in Movie 9. That fight with Tenshinhan. He should have stayed in his base form. He would have won anyway but he went super. That's kind of like adding insult to injury. Like Ten wasn't worth his time or something. :wink:
Actually, I thought it was cool to see Tenshinhan hold his own in base form. That fight was one of my favorites. 8)
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Much prefer kid Trunks. Future Trunks always felt out of place in DB to me. Not very entertaining, and didn't do much except go an about his depressing world. The whole Cell saga suffered from being too serious and boring in my opinion, and most of that came from future Trunks.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:20 pm

I liked Future Trunks better as a fighter, but in terms of character design and personality I liked Kid Trunks a lot better. Him and Goten's antics are hilarious and cute, and watching him come of age and mess around is a lot more entertaining than watching Future Trunks get all emotional about his father being a complete douchebag.

I always did feel for the tragic life story of Future Trunks, though. Talk about depressing. :(

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:39 pm

1. Hmmm, probably future, although I love Chibi cavorting with Goten all the time. ^^
2. Takeshi Kusao is pure awesome, and Eric Vale is good. I don't really Chibi Trunks' voice actors in either language, although Japanese is slightly better.
3.Definitely short. He looks cooler when he goes Super Saiyan.
4. Not really. He isn't a really flawed character.